Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1272350 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4125 on: May 13, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
cattlekid wrote:

"Like I said, SO not E-Hell approved, but it would be oh so cathartic."

Also not very effective.  The sort of person who is willing to enforce a "beautiful people" policy in their store is unlikely to be reduced to a heap on the floor by someone turning it around on them.  They'll either shrug it off or treat your comment with disbelief.  Elitism tends to protect its practitioners' egos from reality pretty well.

Virg

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4126 on: May 13, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »
JenJay wrote:

"Destroying leftover stock rather than marking it down isn't uncommon."

I agree, and I've actually seen a situation where it happened when an episode of Undercover Boss addressed it.  It's just that I'd like more evidence than one unnamed source in a single article before I'd believe that the driving force behind such a policy is a desire to keep A&F products away from the poor rather than a simple financial decision.

Virg

Hillia

« Reply #4127 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »
The college I attended in the early 80's was not a part of the Greek system, but we had a similar organization of 'social clubs'.  One rule that every club enforced was that clothing with club names, insignia, etc was to be destroyed rather than donated if it got too ratty to wear.  Legend had it that one club member was horrified to turn on a local news broadcast showing local ladies of the evening, one wearing a Tshirt prominently featuring the club's name and its heart logo.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4128 on: May 13, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
JenJay wrote:

"Destroying leftover stock rather than marking it down isn't uncommon."

I agree, and I've actually seen a situation where it happened when an episode of Undercover Boss addressed it.  It's just that I'd like more evidence than one unnamed source in a single article before I'd believe that the driving force behind such a policy is a desire to keep A&F products away from the poor rather than a simple financial decision.

Virg

Plus anyone working on the front lines in the store has no influence over the policy at all. You can get them into tears but it won't help any.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4129 on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
The college I attended in the early 80's was not a part of the Greek system, but we had a similar organization of 'social clubs'.  One rule that every club enforced was that clothing with club names, insignia, etc was to be destroyed rather than donated if it got too ratty to wear.  Legend had it that one club member was horrified to turn on a local news broadcast showing local ladies of the evening, one wearing a Tshirt prominently featuring the club's name and its heart logo.

Lol, that does make sense. I can see that a club would prefer that its logos only show up on actual club members.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Jocelyn

« Reply #4130 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
RE:  A&F - this is SO not E-Hell approved but I have a scheme that evil Cattlekid would love to carry out some day. 

I would take my 200 lb. self into A&F and start browsing the smallest clothes, daring an employee to come up to me and tell me that I wouldn't fit in anything in their store (which did happen to me once at Chico's).  Then I would proceed to tell them that I was shopping for a cousin (I have cousins who are less than half my age and in the A&F target market) and proceed to ask for a manager and start into a calm but long tirade about how staff should not assume anything about their customers except that they are in the store to spend money and staff should be helpful, not hurtful.  My entire goal would be to have the manager and the staff member in a heap on the floor by the time I was done. 

Like I said, SO not E-Hell approved, but it would be oh so cathartic.

The point is, they don't care. They don't want you in their store shopping for small people- the cool skinny people don't want to look at a fat person shopping! They might lose one of their target customers because s/he doesn't want to shop next to a fat person.
Their sizes are cut smaller than average, and the 'large' men's sizes are intended to accommodate bulked-up men (that is, men with big chests, shoulders and arms, but flat, trim bellies).

A few years ago, they lost a lawsuit over discriminatory practices. Apparently, their target customer base is whites-only, and they didn't want black or Asian kids working in the stores. Of course, they were afraid someone would catch them on that...so they hired black and Asian kids to work in the back room, or to work hours when the store was closed, unpacking and steaming the clothes, and cleaning. That way they could document that they didn't hire only whites...but only whites were welcome to work in the store meeting customers and handling the money.
They didn't learn anything from having to pay compensation to the black and Asian workers in a class action lawsuit. Now, they're putting down fat people because they can't possibly be cool. And having a great attitude means being unbothered by discrimination.

nuit93

« Reply #4131 on: May 13, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0511-abercrombie-ceo-20130511,0,3610146.story

If there was ever a reason not to visit Abercrombie...

I'm so happy that my relatives no longer shop from there so I don't have to wade into that dark, awful smelling, deafening din to get something or return something.

I honestly hadn't realized A&F was still, well...relevant.  I know they were huge in the late 90's (or at least they were at my high school which was predominantly upper-middle class).  Didn't shop there then because I couldn't afford it, now I'm too fat/old :)

Xandraea

« Reply #4132 on: May 13, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0511-abercrombie-ceo-20130511,0,3610146.story

If there was ever a reason not to visit Abercrombie...

I'm so happy that my relatives no longer shop from there so I don't have to wade into that dark, awful smelling, deafening din to get something or return something.

I honestly hadn't realized A&F was still, well...relevant.  I know they were huge in the late 90's (or at least they were at my high school which was predominantly upper-middle class).  Didn't shop there then because I couldn't afford it, now I'm too fat/old :)

I've never seen the appeal, personally .. loud, heavily-cologned, dark stores, half-naked or getting naked young teens in their ads, absolutely repugnant to me.  In fact, I was at a large mall at a store across a very wide hallway from an A&F and that day they had a topless male model lurking in the doorway, just um .. to appear sexy .. or something?  I could hear the music blaring even from that distance, and I asked the ladies in the store I was shopping in, "So, what do you think of that?" .. Every one of them was disgusted and wished he'd put a shirt on, and that the blaring music would be turned down so they could hear the soft music in their own store. (It was a good few hundred feet away!)  All of these were young, beautiful ladies that could have been those A&F markets to, and they were turned off by the store's practices.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4133 on: May 13, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
I've never been to an A&F so I can't say that I would never shop there again, but I'll definitely never shop there the first time. Even before this came out (and it sounds like it wasn't really a big secret), every time I walk by the store, the smell would give me a headache and it looked pitch black in there. I remember seeing a picture on Pinterest called "why not to take your dad shopping with you" and it was a man with a headlamp looking through T-shirts at what looked like an A&F.

Redwing

« Reply #4134 on: May 13, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
I've never been to an A&F so I can't say that I would never shop there again, but I'll definitely never shop there the first time. Even before this came out (and it sounds like it wasn't really a big secret), every time I walk by the store, the smell would give me a headache and it looked pitch black in there. I remember seeing a picture on Pinterest called "why not to take your dad shopping with you" and it was a man with a headlamp looking through T-shirts at what looked like an A&F.

I think it's so dark in there so you can't actually see how crappy their merchandise is!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4135 on: May 13, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
Wasn't it A&F that asked one of the 'Jersey Shore' folks to stop wearing their clothes?  Because it didn't project the image they were looking for.

I've never been in one; I don't think there are that many north of the border.  But now I know I don't need to bother.  Not even to buy something for my nephews who are in their target market.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Tashigi

« Reply #4136 on: May 13, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

I admit to cackling upon seeing that picture. And I may or may not have made judicious though conspicuous use of my phone's flashlight feature while in there the few times I ever stepped foot in those stores.

emwithme

« Reply #4137 on: May 13, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
Another reason not to shop at A&F - in the UK they were taken to an Employment Tribunal for discriminating against a female staff member who was born without a lower left arm.  In a similar way to the "non-white" discrimination in the US, they were making her work in the back room.  Here's a link to the BBC article about the case. 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4138 on: May 13, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »
I went into an A&F a few years ago with my teenage DD.  It was hideous!  It was dark, it stunk from their horrible cologne and the employees glared at us the whole time.  My DD is tall and built  and I thought they might at least pay attention to her, but no..she is a size 9 (she is also 5'9") and to them that may be obese  >:( .  So we start looking through racks.  They had 3 rounders of shorts that were all exactly the same..cheek baring shorts, no jeans and a wall of t shirts that were all emblazoned with their name on the front.  My DD said "there is nothing here, let's go" and I heard the two snotty clerks who were glaring at us say "Oh, not in your size!"  The problem is, I actually DO fit in their sizes but I guess my age precluded me from getting waited on. 

On to my never again.  When I was a senior in high school,(1983) I was going to my first formal dance, my senior recognition.  The morning of the dance, my step mom took me to get my hair done as a surprise.  I was so excited and I knew exactly how I wanted it and had a picture.  So we get to the salon, a little neighborhood place, I got a stylist who happened to be an older sister of a classmate.  As most of the clientele was older, I was nervous thinking they wouldn't know how to do something 'fun' but getting someone not much older than me made me feel better..oh, was I mistaken.  I have naturally curly hair that doesn't like to be controlled..not quite Shirley Temple, but it still was sometimes wild.  I told the girl, after handing her the picture, that I wanted a body wave because when I had one before it helped with the untamed curl, but not a perm because I had tried one and it was horrible.  I also said I only wanted about an inch of hair trimmed (just past my shoulders) and I did not want layers and they did not work well with my natural curls.  I knew what bad haircuts could do to my hair so I knew what to rule out.  She listened to me, studied the picture, and set out to work.  We chatted about the dance, my dress, ect while she worked.  It seemed as if she was cutting off more than I said, but as I have thick hair, I thought maybe she was just doing a section at a time.  So in goes the perm and under a dryer I go with a magazine.  By this time, my step mom comes back in, waves to me and sits to wait.  When the stylist brings me over to take out the wraps , step mom comes over to see how it is turning out.  Stylist starts in the back and all of a sudden I hear step mom gasp..oh that can't be good.  She gets all finished and Voila..my hair is cut short and made to look worse by the TIGHT PERM! :o :o :o  I took one look in the mirror and bust out in tears !  Stylist is smiling and saying "Isn't this pretty??"  I'm in hysterics,  my step mom is saying "that isn't what she asked for!" and everyone is staring at us.  As the owner comes running over, the stylist  is trying to pick at it and using a hairdryer, which is now giving me a style only seen on the poodles at Westminster.  I jumped up, ripped off the smock and walked out the door as my step mom is telling the owner she wasn't paying for it.  SM comes out and hugs me, owner comes out and tries to get me to come back to fix it (shaving it might have been the only fix!), so SM goes home and I go around corner to friends house to cry to her.  The look on her face was priceless when I walked in (now I can laugh about it).  I made sure to tell everyone at school and others I knew to NEVER go there and especially never to let the stylist touch their heads.  And every picture of me that night, in a gorgeous semi formal dress is me scowling because of the Qtip on my shoulders!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4139 on: May 13, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
I had a hairstyle that year that can be best described as Demented Afro.  Thanks, Mom, you and your (censored) beauty school perms!