Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1172950 times)

Jocelyn

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4140 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »

On to my never again.  When I was a senior in high school,(1983) I was going to my first formal dance, my senior recognition.   
Oh, my goodness, the EXACT SAME THING happened to me...including that the monstrosity was perpetrated by the sister of a classmate! Not only was the perm hideous, it turned my hair slightly green.

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4142 on: May 13, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
My mother cut my hair the day before a class "field trip" (freshmen went swimming in nearby larger town) - I can say that my hair dried very fast after swimming that day.....and the next day she took me to the beauty parlor to get it evened up.

First time she realized that my left ear is about 1 cm or almost 1/4" different that the right ear - so cutting it even with the ears on both sides looked very lopsided......

And at that length, my baby fine hair had no weight to hold it down - so it was floating around like a three year old's.  I was just about to turn 15, so it wasn't a good look for me.  Think a flapper from the twenties only shorter......uneven......and not slicked down to hold it in place. 

At least she found out when I was five that a razor cut would turn my hair into split ends after three shampoos (fine hair) - all cuts after that were supposed to be scissor cuts - unless the beautician thought that she could get away with it....I would holler even at seven if I saw a razor in the hands of the person about to touch my hair.  Unfortunately, Texas beauticians had some kind of love affair with razor cuts for decades......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Asharah

« Reply #4143 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:28 AM »
I went into an A&F a few years ago with my teenage DD.  It was hideous!  It was dark, it stunk from their horrible cologne and the employees glared at us the whole time.  My DD is tall and built  and I thought they might at least pay attention to her, but no..she is a size 9 (she is also 5'9") and to them that may be obese  >:( .  So we start looking through racks.  They had 3 rounders of shorts that were all exactly the same..cheek baring shorts, no jeans and a wall of t shirts that were all emblazoned with their name on the front.  My DD said "there is nothing here, let's go" and I heard the two snotty clerks who were glaring at us say "Oh, not in your size!"  The problem is, I actually DO fit in their sizes but I guess my age precluded me from getting waited on. 

On to my never again.  When I was a senior in high school,(1983) I was going to my first formal dance, my senior recognition.  The morning of the dance, my step mom took me to get my hair done as a surprise.  I was so excited and I knew exactly how I wanted it and had a picture.  So we get to the salon, a little neighborhood place, I got a stylist who happened to be an older sister of a classmate.  As most of the clientele was older, I was nervous thinking they wouldn't know how to do something 'fun' but getting someone not much older than me made me feel better..oh, was I mistaken.  I have naturally curly hair that doesn't like to be controlled..not quite Shirley Temple, but it still was sometimes wild.  I told the girl, after handing her the picture, that I wanted a body wave because when I had one before it helped with the untamed curl, but not a perm because I had tried one and it was horrible.  I also said I only wanted about an inch of hair trimmed (just past my shoulders) and I did not want layers and they did not work well with my natural curls.  I knew what bad haircuts could do to my hair so I knew what to rule out.  She listened to me, studied the picture, and set out to work.  We chatted about the dance, my dress, ect while she worked.  It seemed as if she was cutting off more than I said, but as I have thick hair, I thought maybe she was just doing a section at a time.  So in goes the perm and under a dryer I go with a magazine.  By this time, my step mom comes back in, waves to me and sits to wait.  When the stylist brings me over to take out the wraps , step mom comes over to see how it is turning out.  Stylist starts in the back and all of a sudden I hear step mom gasp..oh that can't be good.  She gets all finished and Voila..my hair is cut short and made to look worse by the TIGHT PERM! :o :o :o  I took one look in the mirror and bust out in tears !  Stylist is smiling and saying "Isn't this pretty??"  I'm in hysterics,  my step mom is saying "that isn't what she asked for!" and everyone is staring at us.  As the owner comes running over, the stylist  is trying to pick at it and using a hairdryer, which is now giving me a style only seen on the poodles at Westminster.  I jumped up, ripped off the smock and walked out the door as my step mom is telling the owner she wasn't paying for it.  SM comes out and hugs me, owner comes out and tries to get me to come back to fix it (shaving it might have been the only fix!), so SM goes home and I go around corner to friends house to cry to her.  The look on her face was priceless when I walked in (now I can laugh about it).  I made sure to tell everyone at school and others I knew to NEVER go there and especially never to let the stylist touch their heads.  And every picture of me that night, in a gorgeous semi formal dress is me scowling because of the Qtip on my shoulders!
This is actually making me glad I refused to go to the hairdresser before prom and my mother had to spend a couple of hours styling my hair. At least it looked good!
Asharah

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #4144 on: May 14, 2013, 03:51:09 AM »
Karma comes to A and F.  Here in New Zealand it is only sold in those pop up remainder shops.  For very very cheap prices.  Of course you still have to be a small size, but I bought my nieces 3 t shirts each for Christmas for about $15 US for three.  $9.99 NZ)  I will have to tell them that they have now joined the beautiful people.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #4145 on: May 14, 2013, 03:52:48 AM »
Karma comes to A and F.  Here in New Zealand it is only sold in those pop up remainder shops.  For very very cheap prices.  Of course you still have to be a small size, but I bought my nieces 3 t shirts each for Christmas for about $15 US for three.  $9.99 NZ)  I will have to tell them that they have now joined the beautiful people.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4146 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
I admired the haircut of a waitress and asked where she had it done.  She told me and I decided to try the place. It was a horror. 

I told the receptionist that I was paying in cash for a simple cut.  Nevertheless, I was informed that I had to leave a credit card at the desk before they would even consider cutting my hair.

I told them to forget it. 

Is this a normal thing or does it belong in the 'Scammers' thread?     

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4147 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
I have never heard of that, even going to a spa for a full day of treatments, payment came later.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4148 on: May 14, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
The only thing I can think of as to why they would do that is people arguing over the price because they pad what you thought you were going to pay, or if you don't tip to their liking, but no, they wouldn't be getting my business.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4149 on: May 14, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
The place is now out of business.

I think they were doing an early version of what A&F is doing now. 

Big windows made the whole salon visible from the street.  They wanted the young, the slim and the totally hip. Older women,  larger women and women wearing comfortable shoes weren't welcome.  Asking them to leave a credit card in the custody of the receptionist was a way of finding out how desperate these women were to fit in.

Even if I had left the card I wouldn't have trusted the operators to give me a decent cut.  I went down the street and got what I wanted for a reasonable price.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #4150 on: May 14, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
About A&F- I was thinking about this last night and something occurred to me...

I've got the Burj al Arab on my facebook feed, ever since I "liked" its FB page. Its PR team posts lots of cool things- photos of the hotel, yummy food from the restaurants, you name it. The hotel was built for the super rich in mind, and rooms start at over $1000 a night. (More like huge suites than regular rooms)
However, I have never heard anyone from the Burj al Arab say anything so asinine as A&F's CEO did. I've never heard them say "We don't want middle class people here..Some people just don't belong, we don't want them here making us look bad", and so on. Quite the opposite- they seem quite happy to take anyone's money. As long as you can pay for a room, or pay the restaurant bill, they don't care whether you're rich enough that money is no object, or whether you had to save up a long time to pay for it.

So there you have it- if a place as exclusive as the Burj al Arab can manage to market itself without trashing on anyone who falls outside its target market, then A&F has no excuse for it.

Hillia

« Reply #4151 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
I have never heard of that, even going to a spa for a full day of treatments, payment came later.

I agree that I wouldn't like it, and wouldn't patronize a place like that, but after hearing my son's story I can see why some places might resort to it.  He manages a high end day spa; the other day they had a client come in, receive over $400 worth of Botox, throw $100 on the counter and run out.  She refused to answer her phone; they ended up calling the police to report her for theft of services.  She came back in the next day, furious, and paid another $100 but insisted that the service sheet showing how much she had received was a lie as 'she never got that much Botox' (even though a scan of her past visits showed that yes, she always got that much).  So the salon is out $200, but well rid of her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Amara

« Reply #4152 on: May 14, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
I hope that salon is contacting other salons in the area to warn them about her.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4153 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
There is now a young man who is advocating a movement on Facebook: Make Abercrombie & Fitch the brand of homeless people!
He is gathering up A&F clothing and going to Skid Row to hand it out to homeless people. He is also requesting that others join him in gathering clothes and taking them to homeless shelters.
I think this is the perfect solution.  >:D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4154 on: May 14, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
There is now a young man who is advocating a movement on Facebook: Make Abercrombie & Fitch the brand of homeless people!
He is gathering up A&F clothing and going to Skid Row to hand it out to homeless people. He is also requesting that others join him in gathering clothes and taking them to homeless shelters.
I think this is the perfect solution.  >:D

I do, too! 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.