Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 974918 times)

Calistoga

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4215 on: June 04, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »
Edit- Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Oops :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:19:08 AM by Calistoga »

NyaChan

« Reply #4216 on: June 04, 2013, 01:06:16 AM »
K then mine is wrong too LOL
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:28:08 AM by NyaChan »

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #4217 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
Thipu, we keep all of our receipts.  We asked them to show us the receipts where we purchased the drinks and were told that they wouldn't have them until after the cruise.  She said that maybe we left without paying and were charged afterward.

Wow.  I know from watching the last night antics on NCL that they have ALL the receipts.  Because they go in the back and bring out a folder with them to show people arguing over their bills that yes, someone DID sign for those smoothies, or soda, or 5 buckets of beer. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4218 on: June 04, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
To  a person the podcasters point out you aren't paying for wifi, you are paying for a connection to the internet in the middle of the bleeping ocean. It is going to cost an arm and a leg and be slow. That problem hasn't been solved yet.

Yep.  Internet is slow and expensive at sea.

I'll just avoid cruises until the technology catches up and gets cheaper. :-)
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4219 on: June 04, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
I take 4 technology sabbaticals a year, with no phone, internet, or television. Helps keep me sane.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4220 on: June 04, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
To  a person the podcasters point out you aren't paying for wifi, you are paying for a connection to the internet in the middle of the bleeping ocean. It is going to cost an arm and a leg and be slow. That problem hasn't been solved yet.

Yep.  Internet is slow and expensive at sea.

I'll just avoid cruises until the technology catches up and gets cheaper. :-)

I'm going on one next spring, and while I plan to bring my basic Kindle, I will load it up with books, and be good to go.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4221 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
I have had good luck with car purchases, so this encounter left me quite surprised.

Yesterday morning we found out that DDs' car is toast. It needs a new engine and the car is not worth the cost of the repair.
Since they are going away to college in the fall, they will need a car.
So yesterday we started trying to figure out how to best go about this.

I am able to walk to and from work (good thing, with 6 people in the house with jobs and only two vehicles!) and my path home takes me through *all* the car lots in town.
So as I headed home, I'd glance at a car or two. I have a couple of models in mind that might fit our needs and I wanted to get an idea of if we can afford them.

In one lot, a salesman saw me and asked what I was interested in.

I was very clear that we are shopping for a cheap car for two college students and that we are in the very, very preliminary phases. I said we are going to do some research first and try to figure out what the best vehicles are for our price range.

Strike one: he told me not to pay attention to car rating guides because they "favour imports over domestics" and are very biased. (Umm...so consumers can't be informed?)

I mentioned one model that we were going to do more research on and he immediately dismissed it as an option. Strike 2. (Being dismissive is never, ever going to get you a sale!)

He then tried to interest me in another model, one I didn't know anything about. I said I'd read up on it and keep it in mind. (Turns out the model in question is lackluster at best and has known engine problems in the model year he was trying to push on me.)

Strike 3 was when he insisted on showing me a new car "Even though I know you're not interested" and kept pushing what a great deal it is. (I don't care if it's a steal at $16,000. It's not going to happen!)
I did ask if he had any used cars of that model and if they held their value for safety and reliability. Not much of a response to that.

I finally repeated - again - that we were in the very preliminary stages, weren't buying any time soon and that I was just walking home. He didn't even look me in the eye when he gave me a limp handshake and left.

*If* the car we want is at that dealership, we won't be buying it from him!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4222 on: June 04, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
Funny, I was just coming to post about two car dealerships.

DH is looking to replace our car with an SUV. He loves to go look and talk to salesmen, I don't. He'll spend weeks doing this and when he's got it narrowed down to a couple of cars then I'll join him.

On Sunday he went to a Honda dealership and spent about an hour looking at something. The salesman took our car out and came back with a trade-in quote that was $3,000 less than DH was expecting. DH said "Wow, that's low, on Kelley Blue Book it says..." The guy interrupted him and said "You can't go by that site, they really overvalue used cars. We use Edmonds, it's much more accurate." When DH got home we got on the Edmunds site and entered the info for our car. It was the same amount KBB had listed. We took a closer look at the dealership's quote and they hadn't marked the boxes for any of the upgrades (and our car has them all!). The salesman called the next day and DH basically chewed him out for trying to rip us off, said he didn't trust him, wouldn't buy a car from him under any circumstance, and not to call again.

Yesterday DH went to look at a Mazda and a Ford at the same lot. He liked the cars and the amount they offered in trade, however, the lease price on the Mazda was significantly higher than other vehicles in the same price range. He expressed surprise and asked how much the Ford would be. The salesman went to find out. He came back with the sales manager who said "If you can't afford the Mazda then you can't afford the Ford." DH said "I'll decide that. How much?" The guy refused to tell him! He started in "You don't want a lease anyway, it's a waste of your money. What you want is a brand new SUV..." DH stood up and said "We're done." and left. This morning the general manager called and said he'd heard there was a problem (from the salesman I guess) and asked DH to tell him what happened.

Maybe a lease would be a waste of money, we haven't decided yet if we want to lease new or buy used, but shouldn't WE be the ones to decide?  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4223 on: June 04, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »
Apparently not! We are about to replace our very old car, so I hope we avoid the bad salesmen!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4224 on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
Apparently not! We are about to replace our very old car, so I hope we avoid the bad salesmen!

There was one time I was the primary buyer and what I did was narrow it down to the two best cars that fit my needs and fell in my price range (based on Consumer Reports reviews) and then email every dealership within about 100 miles of my home. I told them what I wanted and what extras I wanted in it (which was basically just air conditioning). Only one dealership refused to give me a quote, the rest were very reasonable because they knew I was shopping around. It was awesome - no haggling, no pressure, no bullcrap. I gave it two weeks and went with the guy who offered me the best price (and on an upgraded model, too!). Of course we drove it before we signed but at that point it was just a formality. We were out of there in an hour!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4225 on: June 05, 2013, 03:41:26 AM »

If there are any around try a place that does not do commission. The place I bought my used car is one and the sales guy was great. I went in there with my dad (my car was too untrustworthy to drive there) and said "I'd like to see the white Accent" and he said "sure!"  It was I think the cheapest car on the lot and he acted like I was buying the most expensive. He also talked to me not my dad.

There was a trade-off- no haggling - but the lowkey salesman more than made up for it.

CakeBeret

« Reply #4226 on: June 07, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
I'm adding a trendy sushi place to my list. We went there for my husband's birthday, with friends, and the service was truly appalling.

We had several drinks (water, soda, alcohol) and no coasters, so the table had condensation all over it. They gave us one sushi menu. For four people. We spent 15 minutes passing it around before we could get the waitress to bring us more. So finally we all wrote our sushi orders, and they got pretty wet because of the water all over the table. We hand them to the waitress, who puts in the order and then puts the papers back on our table.

So our food comes out, there's some rolls that we ordered and some that we didn't. When we said "We didn't order that", the waitress's response was "Yes you did."

Um.

We convinced the waitress to look at the sushi papers, which were now soaked. One was missing, and in its place was an order that wasn't ours. The waitress first insisted that it was the correct order, but finally relented and had my friend give her her order verbally.

She returned with the two rolls my friend had ordered, plus a shrimp tempura roll. My friend insisted that she had not ordered the shrimp tempura roll, the waitress insisted that she had. No proof, since the sushi paper had been lost (although why a diner should have to provide proof of what they ordered, I do not know) so the waitress went back to the kitchen.

She returned with a brand new, completely dry sushi menu (remember ours had been soaked by the condensation) on which the two rolls plus the shrimp tempura were marked. It was absurdly obvious that the waitress had simply filled out a new menu to present as "proof" that my friend had ordered the shrimp tempura.

I ended up just paying for it because I was too ticked off to keep arguing with the waitress.

That was the lowest tip I have ever left in my life. I also contacted corporate and posted about it on review sites.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

NyaChan

« Reply #4227 on: June 07, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
CakeBeret,  that is awful.  What did she think you couldn't tell the difference?  Man oh man.

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
« Reply #4228 on: June 08, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
I'm adding a trendy sushi place to my list. We went there for my husband's birthday, with friends, and the service was truly appalling.

We had several drinks (water, soda, alcohol) and no coasters, so the table had condensation all over it. They gave us one sushi menu. For four people. We spent 15 minutes passing it around before we could get the waitress to bring us more. So finally we all wrote our sushi orders, and they got pretty wet because of the water all over the table. We hand them to the waitress, who puts in the order and then puts the papers back on our table.

So our food comes out, there's some rolls that we ordered and some that we didn't. When we said "We didn't order that", the waitress's response was "Yes you did."

Um.

We convinced the waitress to look at the sushi papers, which were now soaked. One was missing, and in its place was an order that wasn't ours. The waitress first insisted that it was the correct order, but finally relented and had my friend give her her order verbally.

She returned with the two rolls my friend had ordered, plus a shrimp tempura roll. My friend insisted that she had not ordered the shrimp tempura roll, the waitress insisted that she had. No proof, since the sushi paper had been lost (although why a diner should have to provide proof of what they ordered, I do not know) so the waitress went back to the kitchen.

She returned with a brand new, completely dry sushi menu (remember ours had been soaked by the condensation) on which the two rolls plus the shrimp tempura were marked. It was absurdly obvious that the waitress had simply filled out a new menu to present as "proof" that my friend had ordered the shrimp tempura.

I ended up just paying for it because I was too ticked off to keep arguing with the waitress.

That was the lowest tip I have ever left in my life. I also contacted corporate and posted about it on review sites.

I've never been to a sushi place, so maybe I'm ill-informed, but were there no napkins/paper towels anywhere? Or are these tables so tiny that the cups took up 3/4 of the space? Why was it necessary to place your paper on a wet table? It might have in inconvienent, but I probably would have placed the paper on my lap or purse to write.

That is not to say that your waitress didn't screw up (she may have dropped the ball on this), it just seems like maybe the kitchen had as problem reading from the wet paper and she couldn't remember each order from the top of her head.

/devil's advocate
"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me

-----

Lestrade: "Exactly how many times did he fall out of the window?"
Sherlock: "Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, Detective Inspector. I lost count

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4229 on: June 08, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
The waitress screwed up first and foremost by not making sure the table was clean and dry.  I'd have asked for that to be taken care of, first.  And if it wasn't?  I'm leaving.  I'm not eating at a table with who knows what on it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario