Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1185096 times)

Snooks

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4245 on: June 08, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
We got caught by one of them, poor DH had a burning sensation as soon as the woman touched him with the stuff.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #4246 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »

RE: Skin allergies.

I get rashes from ANY deoderant. In an Australian summer, that means I need to have at least 2 clean shirts to change into at work, as well as a spare set of socks. Last summer, the company I was working for didn't believe me and insisted I use deoderent. It wasn't until I had welts up and down my arm and was on cortisone creams that they believed me and I was allowed stop.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4247 on: June 08, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
Not to totally threadjack, but would one of those "deodorant stones" help you?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #4248 on: June 08, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »

Nothing works. I've tried the lot. Clean clothes and jungle baths are the only solution

Back to the scheduled thread . . . . .
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4249 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »
We got caught by one of them, poor DH had a burning sensation as soon as the woman touched him with the stuff.
Back before they decided that rubbing/spraying products on you without your consent was assult, I used to have to fight those people off physically. My friends, sis, and/or cousin would surround me like the secret service around the president and we would barrel through them as fast as we could.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #4250 on: June 08, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »

I get rashes from ANY deoderant.
During WWII, my mother taught at a school where many of the girls were of a religion that forbade cosmetics, and deodorant was considered a cosmetic. She taught the girls to make a deodorant that was baking soda-based. I wish I could promise you that I'd ask her how to make it, but she's 92 and her memory isn't so good. But you might find something on the Internet about how to make it.

This sounds like it:
http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/natural-beauty-fashion/photos/5-deodorant-alternatives/baking-soda-and-cornstarch
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:52:15 PM by Jocelyn »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4251 on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »

I get rashes from ANY deoderant.
During WWII, my mother taught at a school where many of the girls were of a religion that forbade cosmetics, and deodorant was considered a cosmetic. She taught the girls to make a deodorant that was baking soda-based. I wish I could promise you that I'd ask her how to make it, but she's 92 and her memory isn't so good. But you might find something on the Internet about how to make it.

This sounds like it:
http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/natural-beauty-fashion/photos/5-deodorant-alternatives/baking-soda-and-cornstarch

I make deodorant powder out of 2 parts baking soda and 1 part baby powder. I tried it with cornstarch but it didn't get me through the day (as is the case with all store bought deodorants & other natural products).

It's been like a miracle cure for me! I keep it in a 1/2C Tupperware container in my bathroom and just rub about a teaspoon into each underarm every morning (over the sink cuz it is a bit messy). I do generally wash over the sink on days I don't need a shower, but it isn't always necessary, I just feel eew if I don't.  :)

Edited to add - Oops, sorry for derailing. I forgot I was in a topic-specific thread.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:19:15 AM by JenJay »

BB-VA

« Reply #4252 on: June 09, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »
My husband is asthmatic and we joke about how anything with a scent bothers him.  We buy unscented deodorant, I use unscented detergent, and try to buy soaps, etc. with minimum scent.

That said, the scented items that give him the most trouble are the botanicals, NOT the lab-created ones.  So much for all-natural...
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Browyn

« Reply #4253 on: June 09, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »

Nothing works. I've tried the lot. Clean clothes and jungle baths are the only solution

What about dress sheilds?  You could pin them in and change them part way through the day instead of needing a new shirt and then launder them at home.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4254 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
I have never seen those!  They'd probably irritate the heck out of me, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Otterpop

« Reply #4255 on: June 09, 2013, 05:24:16 PM »

What about dress sheilds?  You could pin them in and change them part way through the day instead of needing a new shirt and then launder them at home.

I've used those for silk shirts that highlight ANY and ALL wetness.  They're great!  But I've only ever found the ones that pin on the seam of the shirt.  Where can you get the ones that hook on a bra?

KB

« Reply #4256 on: June 09, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »

I've used those for silk shirts that highlight ANY and ALL wetness.  They're great!  But I've only ever found the ones that pin on the seam of the shirt.  Where can you get the ones that hook on a bra?

Amazon.

Browyn

« Reply #4257 on: June 09, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »

I did a google search and found them at http://www.kleinerts.com

nuit93

« Reply #4258 on: June 09, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
When I was in Las Vegas I got caught by one of those skin cream stalls, bought some, and reacted to it - red puffy watery eyes.  They were good, and exchanged it for something I didn't react to.

As a result, when next some skin mob tried to get me to try their fabulous creams, I demurred and mentioned I'd had a reaction.  "But you couldn't react to ours, it's all organic!"  Umm yeah, I can.  Bee stings and peanuts are also all natural and organic, and they kill hundreds of people a year.

Not to mention arsenic, hemlock, botulinium...

norrina

« Reply #4259 on: June 10, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Bye bye to our local credit union...

We opened our accounts with a credit union initially because there were no fees. After we had been with them maybe 6 months they announced that they would start assessing fees on their checking accounts. They were going to offer a free "self-serve" account though, which meant the branch and contact center services would be limited. As part of this deposits were intended to be made at the ATM with your debit card, or by use of a mobile phone app. Since we hardly ever went to the branch anyhow, this seemed perfect.

A couple months after switching over, I changed my last name. I went to the branch with the necessary paperwork to have the name on my account changed. At that time I inquired as to their policy on any checks I received made out to my previous name, and was told that that wouldn't be a problem at all, because my previous name was still in their system.

Maybe a month after that I received a check made out to my previous name. I endorsed the back of it "by mobile deposit", and scanned and deposited it from my mobile phone app. A couple days later I got an email that the deposit was rejected because the name didn't match the name on my account. So I went to the branch to get it taken care of, and they fixed it but gave me a lecture about how I had a self-serve account and wasn't supposed to come into the branch. They didn't have an answer for how I was supposed to make a self-serve deposit when their system was rejecting the deposit...

At some point in the last couple months they also decided that as a "security precaution", any time you tried to login to online banking from an "unrecognized device" they would call or text the phone number they had on file for you with a security code. Often they would not recognize a previously verified device, even if we were logging in from the same network, and had not cleared our cookies.

All of this led up to today's total frustration. DF is out of the country right now, has been for 3 1/2 weeks and won't be back for another 10 days. We recently found out that there was going to be an unexpected charge posted to his account. We couldn't log in to his online banking to check if there was enough money in the account to cover the charge because the bank wanted us to provide them with a security code, and his phone (the only number associated with the account) won't work in the country he is in. I can't make a mobile deposit for him because his account isn't set up on my device, and we can't get it set up without verifying the device with that security code that we can't receive. I can't make an ATM deposit because his debit card is with him 4,000+ miles away; he asked the bank for a duplicate card before he left and they said they couldn't do that (my previous bank was happy to provide me with a spare card, FWIW). So I went into the branch with a deposit in hand, figuring any "convenience fee" for using branch services was going to be a lot better than a potential NSF charge. But no, I was informed that I couldn't make a teller deposit at all, for any reason, because "It isn't [the teller's] fault that [your fiance] decided to sign up for this type of account."   ::) ??? >:(

In the end, I contacted the source of the upcoming draft, and was able to make a pre-payment to prevent the draft from occurring.