Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1247596 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4395 on: July 07, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
There is a local "scratch and dent" appliance store that I will NEVER darken the doorstep of again.

On Friday afternoon, our AC went kaput.  We didn't have the money to just buy a brand new one, so I checked Craigslist.  They had the AC I was looking at on the site of a big box hardware chain, but for $100 cheaper.  The only issue is that while new, it had no packaging (I assumed floor models, but I am assuming nothing after this...)  The price seemed great to us, so we went yesterday and got it.  It looked just like the one I saw on the website for the chain store (I do at least that much research, I am not a passenger on Turnip Truck Mass Transit, thank you).  He turned it on, verified that it worked, we signed the receipt to that effect, he told us there were no returns (who would expect that there would be at a scratch-n-dent?) and we brought it home.

Now, it works.  That is so not the problem.  I did notice it didn't cool the room as well as the previous one before it died, so I thought "what if it just looks superficially like the model I wanted?"  So I went looking for the model information label.  NOTHING.  Not on the side, the top, the bottom, inside the filter door, nothing.  I was not deterred.  I measured the chassis, went to the manufacturer website, and looked up specifications.  It turns out they have two air conditioners with the exact same chassis, with one being xBTU less powerful than the one we were looking at.  After careful examination of the images on the site, I realized that the less powerful one was lacking a feature (with a corresponding light on the front panel) that the one we wanted has.

And of course, the one we bought has no such feature.  So we paid x$ for an AC worth <x$.  There's no way we'd get an exchange for the unit we asked and paid for, because A), like I said, it's an as-is type place, and B) there's no proof... the way these are made, we could easily have wanted an upgrade to the better model, then brought in the lesser model and asked for our money back!

Either he knew (in which case he cheated us) or he didn't (in which case his goods are inferior), but either way I am never shopping there again.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4396 on: July 07, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
Diane,
I'm a little confused. Did you ask the man specifically for the model you wanted, and he said that this AC was that model? If not, how was he supposed to know that you thought you were buying the upscale model instead?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #4397 on: July 07, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »
Diane,
I'm a little confused. Did you ask the man specifically for the model you wanted, and he said that this AC was that model? If not, how was he supposed to know that you thought you were buying the upscale model instead?

I asked for the xBTU model I saw on the Craigslist ad.  This was the unit he pointed out.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4398 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »
Diane,

I asked for the xBTU model I saw on the Craigslist ad.  This was the unit he pointed out.

I think you should let the manager know. They may have a no return policy, but then, you were told the unit was something it wasn't.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #4399 on: July 07, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
Diane,

I think you should let the manager know. They may have a no return policy, but then, you were told the unit was something it wasn't.

It's a one-man operation.  And the soonest I could even get up there is Thursday.  They don't even have Sunday hours, so I couldn't have called today if I wanted to.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4400 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:23 AM »
Diane,

It's a one-man operation.  And the soonest I could even get up there is Thursday.  They don't even have Sunday hours, so I couldn't have called today if I wanted to.

Does your receipt specify the model you thought you were buying? 'cause if it does, I don't think a 'no returns' policy applies. You paid for something and didn't get it.

*hugs* hope you can get it sorted out!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #4401 on: July 10, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
Debating whether to go back today to use my gift card. I'm off all week so don't have to be anywhere in a hurry  ::) and am also on a budget, so a free pasta lunch would be nice. Unfortunately this is the only OG location for about 90 miles so I'd have to go back to this one.

You can also use Olive Garden gift cards at Red Lobster, LongHorn Steakhouse, The Capital Grille, Seasons 52 and Bahama Breeze. Check the back of the card.

I don't like our local Olive Garden, and when I got a gift card one Christmas, I found out I could use it elsewhere. That was good news for me.

Thank you! I completely forgot that! We only have a Red Lobster here, but I would much rather go there.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4402 on: July 10, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »
they carry Pear's soap and that's not always easy to find

If that's all you're going there for, Amazon has it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4403 on: July 11, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »
they carry Pear's soap and that's not always easy to find

If that's all you're going there for, Amazon has it.

Thanks for the cue bit this place is only two blocks away from our house. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4404 on: July 11, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"I asked for the xBTU model I saw on the Craigslist ad.  This was the unit he pointed out."

If he sold you the unit as an xBTU unit and that's not what it is, then he committed fraud.  Take your receipt down there and get your money back, and if he doesn't turn it around report it to your local Distract Attorney.  Seems simple enough.

Virg

z_squared82

« Reply #4405 on: July 11, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
I refuse to return to the last two eye doctors Iíve seen.

The first, whom my mom still visits, tried to push allergy eye drops on me, after he asked if I had allergies, did they affect my eyes, and I told him no. I have no interest in visiting a pimp for the pharmaceutical industry.

The other eye doctor was my fatherís eye doctor. I went in just for glasses. My insurance got billed for an entire eye exam. I had good insurance at the time, so I paid nothing, but still. Can we say Fraud?

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #4406 on: July 11, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
The other eye doctor was my fatherís eye doctor. I went in just for glasses. My insurance got billed for an entire eye exam. I had good insurance at the time, so I paid nothing, but still. Can we say Fraud?

But how could they give you glasses without giving you an eye exam? I'm confused.

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #4407 on: July 11, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »

But how could they give you glasses without giving you an eye exam? I'm confused.

I would imagine that she already had her prescription, from a different optometrist. I've done that before. :)

z_squared82

« Reply #4408 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »

I would imagine that she already had her prescription, from a different optometrist. I've done that before. :)

Yes, that exactly.

pendragon1980

« Reply #4409 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »
Well my favorite chinese buffet place is now out of the question.

My mom and sister had lunch there yesterday and mom found an insect in her dish. They comped their meals but mom watched while waiting for the bill to be taken care of and they never switched out the platter at the buffet.   :P