Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 975788 times)

magicdomino

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4440 on: August 08, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.  I agree that it is pretty standard way to operate.  Doesn't mean it is right.  It is one of the main reasons I won't sign up with a particular dating service.  If you don't cancel, they just keep charging you.

I will never deal with Norton AV again.  I don't think I actually paid for it but it was a complete pain.  It was a total pig and completely bogged down my computer and then when I tried to remove it, I had a really hard time doing so.  I ended up taking it to my computer guy to have it removed.

To add insult to injury, a virus got by Norton AV anyway.  I ended up taking the computer to a repair shop to get the hard drive wiped and reloaded.  The computer guy put AVG Free on it, and I added Malwarebytes, since it plays well with other antivirus programs.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4441 on: August 08, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.  I agree that it is pretty standard way to operate.  Doesn't mean it is right.  It is one of the main reasons I won't sign up with a particular dating service.  If you don't cancel, they just keep charging you.

I will never deal with Norton AV again.  I don't think I actually paid for it but it was a complete pain.  It was a total pig and completely bogged down my computer and then when I tried to remove it, I had a really hard time doing so.  I ended up taking it to my computer guy to have it removed.

This is one that frequently gets included in the software packages that new computers come with, and it is a BEAR to try and get rid of.  We actually had a subscription to Norton once upon a time, but never again.  Once it's on your computer, it's like you're infected with it.

This.  Our computer had a three month trial period with Norton.  Our service provider used it's own free antivirus program.  The two kept fighting it out, so after just one month of Norton, I cancelled it. 

Guess what?  They had already billed me (after one month, remember) for month #4.  I called them about this and they agreed to reverse their charge.  Just to be sure, I called the credit card company and while I was explaining the situation to them they stopped me for a moment and said "Hmm ... yes, we see the charge, but they have just now added another month's fee!" 

I said hopefully, "Maybe they are giving me a credit like they said they would?"

"No, it's another months fee for Norton's service."

I said I would not pay either and Credit Card said they'd take care of it.  Apparently they did, because I heard nothing more about it.  And my computer ran MUCH more smoothly after that.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4442 on: August 08, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
Is anyone else noticing the eerie similarity between major AV programs and the viruses they are supposed to protect you from?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Cherry91

« Reply #4443 on: August 08, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.

Yeah, I'm a truly horrendous speller, my apologies.

GreenHall

« Reply #4444 on: August 08, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
Is anyone else noticing the eerie similarity between major AV programs and the viruses they are supposed to protect you from?

THat and  mob stereotypes - "You got a nice computer here, shame if anything happened to it..."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4445 on: August 08, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.

Yeah, I'm a truly horrendous speller, my apologies.

No worries.  I just kept thinking 'Dragonriders of Pern' seeing McCaffrey.   ;D

And I was able to look it up because we use McAfee at work.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4446 on: August 08, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »

Yes, and same with credit-monitoring services.

This is one reason I use a free anti-virus program on my computer.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4447 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
I haven't used Norton since the old pre-Windows DOS days.  I found at the time that it slowed the computer down so much it was almost unusable, so I decided to uninstall it.  I then found out how hard it was to uninstall...   ::) 

Every single subdirectory on the hard drive had a hidden, read-only file added by Nortons.  I had to go in and change the attributes and then delete them, one by one.  It was a nightmare.

Unfortunately, the new laptop I bought a couple of weeks ago already has Nortons pre-installed.  I'm going to have to get rid of it, it's already driving me bonkers.

Iris

« Reply #4448 on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »

Hence the old "joke"

What's the only thing worse than having a virus on your computer?
Having Norton on there.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4449 on: August 09, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »

Hence the old "joke"

What's the only thing worse than having a virus on your computer?
Having Norton on there.

I changed from Norton to McAfee and desperately want to go back exactly because of the "mob mentality" a PP mentioned. Oh, and I hate AVG with the passion of a thousand suns. It keeps installing itself and changing my Chrome start-up page to AVG search. There's no way to change it back other than to uninstall AVG. Yeah, I'll never switch to that voluntarily.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

phred246

« Reply #4450 on: August 09, 2013, 04:29:30 AM »
I stopped using Norton years ago. On the system I had at the time, every time I installed new software, Norton would insist that it needed to be re-installed! The last straw was the day I updated Norton, and it told me I had to re-install Norton!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

Redsoil

« Reply #4451 on: August 09, 2013, 06:13:17 AM »
I've actually used Norton for years, and yes, back in the day it was a major resource hog.  That's been addressed, though and I actually really like Norton! 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Firecat

« Reply #4452 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
Add me to the Norton and McAfee loathers. I use ESET Nod32 on my PC and home, and it works really well. Updates in the background, scans quickly, and never seems to slow things down. I

hjaye

« Reply #4453 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »

This is one that frequently gets included in the software packages that new computers come with, and it is a BEAR to try and get rid of.  We actually had a subscription to Norton once upon a time, but never again.  Once it's on your computer, it's like you're infected with it.

This.  Our computer had a three month trial period with Norton.  Our service provider used it's own free antivirus program.  The two kept fighting it out, so after just one month of Norton, I cancelled it. 

Guess what?  They had already billed me (after one month, remember) for month #4.  I called them about this and they agreed to reverse their charge.  Just to be sure, I called the credit card company and while I was explaining the situation to them they stopped me for a moment and said "Hmm ... yes, we see the charge, but they have just now added another month's fee!" 

I said hopefully, "Maybe they are giving me a credit like they said they would?"

"No, it's another months fee for Norton's service."

I said I would not pay either and Credit Card said they'd take care of it.  Apparently they did, because I heard nothing more about it.  And my computer ran MUCH more smoothly after that.

Actually having two anti-virus programs on the same computer is not a good thing.  I know I crashed a computer years ago because i was running two different programs.  what I found out was that the programs see the DAT files of the other program, and look at that as a virus and then tries to either isolate or delete the files.  It can really hinder the performance of your computer.

Cherry91

« Reply #4454 on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
For the people discussing antivirus, Windows does a programme (firewall and antivirus) called Security Centre that's absolutely FREE and it's been better and much less obstructive than any other programme I've used. And it's free. That point's a bigger winner with cheap ol' me.  ;)