Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1209053 times)

Cherry91

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4455 on: August 09, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Can we please take the virus software discussions to a new thread please?

That's a good idea. Is there a technical support thread anywhere?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #4456 on: August 09, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.

Yeah, I'm a truly horrendous speller, my apologies.

No worries.  I just kept thinking 'Dragonriders of Pern' seeing McCaffrey.   ;D

And I was able to look it up because we use McAfee at work.

Made me think of 'The Virus of Pern!' 
Thanks for the laugh.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4457 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
Is anyone else noticing the eerie similarity between major AV programs and the viruses they are supposed to protect you from?

Hence the old "joke"

What's the only thing worse than having a virus on your computer?
Having Norton on there.

I changed from Norton to McAfee and desperately want to go back exactly because of the "mob mentality" a PP mentioned. Oh, and I hate AVG with the passion of a thousand suns. It keeps installing itself and changing my Chrome start-up page to AVG search. There's no way to change it back other than to uninstall AVG. Yeah, I'll never switch to that voluntarily.

I've had AVG for years and it's never done that to me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #4458 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
Is anyone else noticing the eerie similarity between major AV programs and the viruses they are supposed to protect you from?

Hence the old "joke"

Having Norton on there.

I changed from Norton to McAfee and desperately want to go back exactly because of the "mob mentality" a PP mentioned. Oh, and I hate AVG with the passion of a thousand suns. It keeps installing itself and changing my Chrome start-up page to AVG search. There's no way to change it back other than to uninstall AVG. Yeah, I'll never switch to that voluntarily.

I've had AVG for years and it's never done that to me.

I've had AVG for years, also, and yes, it does that on a regular basis, but it's super easy to change back.  I have no problems with it.  Heck, I get it every time Foxfire updates, too!

Phoebelion

« Reply #4459 on: August 09, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »
I'm very lenient regarding never shopping someplace again. 

BUT

I will NEVER do business with Comcast/Xfinity again.

MrTango

« Reply #4460 on: August 09, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »

BUT

The first thought I had was "Oh?  What'd they do this time?"

(I'm getting pretty close to dropping them also)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #4461 on: August 09, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »

BUT

The first thought I had was "Oh?  What'd they do this time?"

(I'm getting pretty close to dropping them also)

I'm actually surprised... of course I came to Comcast after the nightmare that was Qwest/CenturyLink.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Phoebelion

« Reply #4462 on: August 09, 2013, 01:10:44 PM »
Well - first they doubled my bill.

Then - they wanted their HDTV box back because "oops - we haven't been charging you for it".  Another $20 per month.

Then - when I called to speak with them about the above, was told nothing they could do.

Then - after I settled down (bad temper ya know), and called back, they offered at $99 per month.  I told them to put it into effect.

Then - after 48 hours nothing was done (visible via on line account = no credits to account), and I called them back, they had no notes of the offer.  Went thru everything again.  Back to nothing they could do.  Asked to speak with supervisor, was told she would have to call me back.

Then - when she finally called me back after 48 hours, again offed the $99 deal.  Again, told her go ahead.  Was to be done immediately.

Then - when not done again after 48 hours, called again (this was a week ago this past  Monday).  Asked straight for manager.  Was they would have to call back - promised within 24 hours.

When didn't get call by Wednesday, contracted with a different company (at half the price).  They installed last Saturday.

Took Comcast equipment back this past Monday after work and cancelled service.    Had to wait in line for 45 minutes due to the number of people there returning equipment and cancelling service.  All for the same reason - major rate increases and nonexistent customer service.  And the line behind me when I left wasn't any better. 

All was fine till last night.  When Comcast had the NERVE to call me wanting the reason i cancelled with them and wanting me to come back to them for $20 more per month than the new service and they would do me the favor on only charging $20 to reinstall the equipment (that took me 2 minutes to disconnect).

Ah - no.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #4463 on: August 09, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
UGH!

Snooks

« Reply #4464 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »
I will never ever get my air conditioning fixed again by the place I had my car booked into today.  Note how I didn't say "worked on my car today"?  Because they didn't.  Phoned up last week and booked it in, had to take an 11.30am lunch break to get it there in time for the appointment.  Arrived only to be told a) they didn't know I was coming b) the air conditioning re-gassing machine broke last week and c) not be offered any kind of apology.  When I suggested they could have telephoned to save me wasting my time their response was "I didn't have your phone number did I?".  Which may or may not be true, I honestly can't remember if I gave them it.

In the end I took it paid 25 more but got it done by the brilliant garage near my work.  I walked in there at midday with no appointment and it was ready to collect at 4.15 this afternoon.  I wish I could use them more but my car is under warranty with another garage.

MyFamily

« Reply #4465 on: August 09, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »
We seem to have really bad luck in purchasing eye glasses.

After the last place, which I am sure I posted about, kept making mistakes in my DH's glasses that resulted in it taking over 6 weeks from when he ordered the glasses to getting the glasses; plus a number of other things they did, we switched and used the optical shop that is associated with the group that our medical doctor's are part of.  The visit went okay, but wasn't great and I wasn't sure how I felt but figured we'd give them another chance.  But their billing pretty much destroyed that.
1) I told them to not bill my insurance for my contacts exam so that the insurance would cover the new eyeglasses I needed - and they messed that up and by the time I found out, it was too late to do anything, so I had to pay out-of-pocket for my glasses and my contacts.
2) They billed all of our eye exams under our medical insurance and not our optical insurance, which meant I got billed for things that should have been covered in full.  I was able to get that resolved, but it involved multiple calls.
3) The final straw was yesterday though.  When I found out I owed them for my glasses, listed in point #1, I was frustrated, but paid the bill immediately (this was the beginning of July) using my on-line bill pay through my bank.  Yesterday, I received in the mail a second bill threatening me with collections.  I called them immediately and the optical department sent me to billing - who informed me that I had been sent to the wrong department since optical handles their own billing; then when I spoke to the woman again in the optical department, I told her multiple times that I paid via the on-line bill pay through my bank, so the money had been sent to them electronically (and my bank had already sent me, at my request, the documentation to show they'd submitted the payment).  She told me she'd call me back.  To be fair, she did call me back  but to ask me for my check number...um, I'd already told you it was done via my bank, and once again gave her the same information I'd already given her.  So, she tells me she'll call me back.  They found my payment, but they'd posted it to a totally different account! 

And with that, 3 strikes, your out.  If I'd felt the exams had been really good, I might have put up with the billing issues (which is why I stay with my dentist), but it was just iffy and I'm not fighting over getting the billing done correctly for iffy optical care.

So, now I have asked around, checked our insurance and we are going to try Optical place #3 for our next exams.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4466 on: August 09, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »

Hence the old "joke"

Having Norton on there.

I too was seduced by AVG.  I had to google on a different computer how to get rid of it and its STILL not gone

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4467 on: August 09, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »

Hence the old "joke"

Having Norton on there.

I too was seduced by AVG.  I had to google on a different computer how to get rid of it and its STILL not gone

I have had to do a clean install of the original factory image and then download & install (from a flash drive) an uninstaller program from Iobit.com to get rid of some things. 

I did learn never to "register" Norton or McAfee if I wanted to have a snowball's chance in Death Valley in July of getting rid of some of the antivirus programs bundled in a new computer....the ones marked "trial version" were sometimes the hardest to get rid of, because the program refused to let you delete it, you were supposed to PAY for the full version!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

daen

« Reply #4468 on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
We seem to have really bad luck in purchasing eye glasses.

After the last place, which I am sure I posted about, kept making mistakes in my DH's glasses that resulted in it taking over 6 weeks from when he ordered the glasses to getting the glasses; plus a number of other things they did, we switched and used the optical shop that is associated with the group that our medical doctor's are part of.  The visit went okay, but wasn't great and I wasn't sure how I felt but figured we'd give them another chance.  But their billing pretty much destroyed that.
1) I told them to not bill my insurance for my contacts exam so that the insurance would cover the new eyeglasses I needed - and they messed that up and by the time I found out, it was too late to do anything, so I had to pay out-of-pocket for my glasses and my contacts.
2) They billed all of our eye exams under our medical insurance and not our optical insurance, which meant I got billed for things that should have been covered in full.  I was able to get that resolved, but it involved multiple calls.
3) The final straw was yesterday though.  When I found out I owed them for my glasses, listed in point #1, I was frustrated, but paid the bill immediately (this was the beginning of July) using my on-line bill pay through my bank.  Yesterday, I received in the mail a second bill threatening me with collections.  I called them immediately and the optical department sent me to billing - who informed me that I had been sent to the wrong department since optical handles their own billing; then when I spoke to the woman again in the optical department, I told her multiple times that I paid via the on-line bill pay through my bank, so the money had been sent to them electronically (and my bank had already sent me, at my request, the documentation to show they'd submitted the payment).  She told me she'd call me back.  To be fair, she did call me back  but to ask me for my check number...um, I'd already told you it was done via my bank, and once again gave her the same information I'd already given her.  So, she tells me she'll call me back.  They found my payment, but they'd posted it to a totally different account! 

And with that, 3 strikes, your out.  If I'd felt the exams had been really good, I might have put up with the billing issues (which is why I stay with my dentist), but it was just iffy and I'm not fighting over getting the billing done correctly for iffy optical care.

So, now I have asked around, checked our insurance and we are going to try Optical place #3 for our next exams.

I've been going to the same optical place, which I will call High-Pressure Optical, since I got my first glasses in sixth grade. (They're strictly local, so there's no point in naming them.) I haven't been too impressed with the last few visits, since they've gone high-end/designer in their frame selection, they don't tell you that you can opt out of certain tests (one of which has not yet been demonstrated to be of any value, as far as my research shows), and they're very pushy about you ordering your lenses and frames from them right here right now. They're also always booked way in advance.

So, last fall my husband and I had to get our eyes checked and new glasses in a very short time frame - we had three weeks before we were leaving the country. There's an optician's place about ten blocks from my house (High-Pressure Optical is the next suburb over), so I checked to see if they had openings in good time. They did? Yay!

Not so yay. I arrived fifteen minutes early, as requested, to get the new-patient paperwork done before the appointment for Dr. Unpleasant and Associates. And then I waited. I sat in the waiting room for two hours past my appointment time. When I finally got to see Dr. Unpleasant, he rushed through the eye test. He then told me (rather abruptly) that he was prescribing a prism correction for me in addition to my usual myopia & astigmatism. I was willing to give it a try, although I was a bit skeptical. I was also a bit surprised that my prescription was handwritten and not computerized or entered into a program anywhere that I could see.

I went to order my glasses, which was... neither here nor there. Not overly expensive, not wildly cheap. I was somewhat taken aback when the assistant who was filling out the order said "Look over my shoulder at the wall" and then held up a ruler to my face to measure my pupil distance. Every other place I've been to (High-Pressure optical and an assortment of dispensaries) have used a specialized measuring device.

When I got the glasses, I couldn't adjust to them. Headaches, queasiness... I lasted a week, then went for a re-check. I was told to come in at noon. I did so, and said "I have to be back at work at one - if I can't be seen by 12:45, I'll come back at 3." The receptionist looked at me, at the counter, back at me, and said "We'll see you at 3, then."

I came back at three, and waited an hour past that to see Dr. Unpleasant. I said I couldn't adjust to the prism correction. His response: "Some people can't. You're what we call a non-adapter." I asked on what basis he prescribed the prism correction for me. Him: "On the basis of 40 years' experience." It came across as dismissive, how-dare-you-question-my-authority. I was looking for something about observable indicators for prism, the results from his testing of my eyes,  or even the percentage of people who benefit from it. (Snarkydaen wonders if there are any observable indicators, and if this doctor prescribes prism because it sounds impressive, especially since one of the assistants told us that "Dr. Unpleasant does a lot of prism corrections" and  not all labs "know how to handle prism corrections properly.")

Then Dr. Unpleasant retested my eyes and wrote another prescription for me without the prism correction. I compared them afterwards. There are three numbers for each lens, so six total, not including the prism numbers. Five of the six were different from the first prescription to the second.

My husband had his eyes checked at the same time. Same issue with waiting, same issue with not adjusting to the prism correction. He had Dr. NewGuy, a different optometrist at the practice retest his eyes, and the receptionist asked him not to let the Dr. Unpleasant know this - she wanted to "break it to Dr. Unpleasant gently."  Apparently there are some issues with Dr. Unpleasant feeling threatened by Dr. NewGuy.

Anyway, there was an error with my husband's  second set of lenses, and they had to be mailed out to us after we left the country. When we finally got them, there were still issues - the focal center of the lenses is out by a milimeter - technically acceptable, but still causing eyestrain. He can use them for distance, but still uses the old glasses for everyday office use.

When we go back home, we will probably return to High-Pressure Optical. They may be pushy, but they're accurate.
And if I don't, I will sooner drive ninety miles to the next city to get my eyes checked than visit Dr. Unpleasant and Associates ever again.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4469 on: August 11, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »

Hence the old "joke"

Having Norton on there.
Never again.
The last time I had Norton (it installed itself) I ended up with hours of phone calls to Norton Canada, with techs working to get it to behave itself. Finally, they told me the only option was to uninstall it, and I cheerfully agreed- but did not agree to reinstalling it, as every time I've had Norton, something very bad has happened. Including a computer that was so FUBAR'd that it eventually had a catastrophic crash, loosing all data on the hard drive.