A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!

<< < (896/1715) > >>

squeakers:

--- Quote from: jedikaiti on August 20, 2013, 09:01:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: squeakers on August 20, 2013, 08:59:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: snowdragon on August 20, 2013, 07:22:01 PM ---Not a store. But the Red Cross.
(snip)
  Then I got to the person doing the health questionnaire got in the act...first she wanted my Social Security Number, and told me she wanted to"run" it when I refused. (This is something that has never been in all the years I have been donating with the red cross. ) and then told me "if you don't want it run, then you must have something to hide."
(snip)

--- End quote ---

My niece just went to give blood for the first time. She found out that her SS# showed she had donated quite a few times previously.  Yeah, her egg donor had her SS# and must have needed some cash.

--- End quote ---

I hope that discovery was quickly followed by a check of niece's credit reports and possibly a police report.

--- End quote ---

I only heard about this secondhand but that is exactly what I told the person telling me this bit of family gossip.  The police report, no (because the odds of any one center remembering who/what the SS# looked like is slim) but yes on the checking her credit report.

If I happen to see niece I will tell her that myself. She already has a restraining order on her parents.. sad that they just keep doing things to her.

BB-VA:
A dear friend and his brother had been Red Cross donors for years and each had their multi-gallon pins.

They stopped donating when friend's grandson needed major surgery, and Grandpa and Uncle went down to donate for the kid.  They were told it would cost $150 each to donate for the kid.  They rolled down their sleeves and walked out, never to return.

Basically, they could donate to strangers for free - but to donate to a family member would cost them.

jedikaiti:

--- Quote from: squeakers on August 20, 2013, 09:12:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: jedikaiti on August 20, 2013, 09:01:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: squeakers on August 20, 2013, 08:59:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: snowdragon on August 20, 2013, 07:22:01 PM ---Not a store. But the Red Cross.
(snip)
  Then I got to the person doing the health questionnaire got in the act...first she wanted my Social Security Number, and told me she wanted to"run" it when I refused. (This is something that has never been in all the years I have been donating with the red cross. ) and then told me "if you don't want it run, then you must have something to hide."
(snip)

--- End quote ---

My niece just went to give blood for the first time. She found out that her SS# showed she had donated quite a few times previously.  Yeah, her egg donor had her SS# and must have needed some cash.

--- End quote ---

I hope that discovery was quickly followed by a check of niece's credit reports and possibly a police report.

--- End quote ---

I only heard about this secondhand but that is exactly what I told the person telling me this bit of family gossip.  The police report, no (because the odds of any one center remembering who/what the SS# looked like is slim) but yes on the checking her credit report.

If I happen to see niece I will tell her that myself. She already has a restraining order on her parents.. sad that they just keep doing things to her.

--- End quote ---

I think the police report would be useful just for documenting a pattern, if nothing else.

That is very sad that they keep doing that.

MrTango:
I'm right-handed, and I refuse to have blood drawn from my right arm for that reason.

It doesn't matter what the situation: Doctor's office for lab tests, donations, whatever.  They will draw from my left arm or they will not draw at all.

Usually, they'll insist on seeing my right arm to verify that I don't have evidence of illegal drug use ("tracks"), but that's it.

No matter how far along you are in the donation process, if they want to do something you're uncomfortable with, you absolutely 100% have the right to speak up and say "no."  If they don't listen, walk away.  If they try to pressure you or prevent you from leaving, make a scene.

MariaE:

--- Quote from: MrTango on August 20, 2013, 10:46:05 PM ---I'm right-handed, and I refuse to have blood drawn from my right arm for that reason.

It doesn't matter what the situation: Doctor's office for lab tests, donations, whatever.  They will draw from my left arm or they will not draw at all.

Usually, they'll insist on seeing my right arm to verify that I don't have evidence of illegal drug use ("tracks"), but that's it.

No matter how far along you are in the donation process, if they want to do something you're uncomfortable with, you absolutely 100% have the right to speak up and say "no."  If they don't listen, walk away.  If they try to pressure you or prevent you from leaving, make a scene.

--- End quote ---

I'm left handed and I always have my blood drawn from the right arm for the same reason. I don't care too much if it's just a single test, but anything more than that - absolutely.

Here it's standard to give out our SSN when donating blood (or the Danish equivalent anyway), but blood donations are only done by doctors/nurses here, so it's not like we're giving it to somebody who doesn't have access to it already. Also, I think identity theft based on SSN is a much lesser risk here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version