Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1108197 times)

suzieQ

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4515 on: August 24, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »
I stopped donating blood about 15 years ago.  I have O negative blood (universal donor), and also CMV negative (can't remember what that was, but it meant my blood was safe for newborns)>

There was the time when another donor had just been told he could leave.  He stood up and his vein opened up and blood started gushing everywhere.  Okay, but things happen.

But the last time I went, I am lying down, the nurse is digging in my arm (and I mean digging - it hurt!  Then she abruptly said, "Yeah, well, that didn't work," in a fairly loud voice and walked away.  Since she had spoke loudly and was looking at the other side of the room, I wasn't sure who she was speaking to and what didn't work.  After a few minutes, a different nurse came over.  It seems that the first nurse couldn't hit the vein.  Second nurse pulls out the needle and announces, "You missed the vein and got a chunk of tissue stuck in it!" as she waved it around.  She looks down at me and says, "Should we try again, or do you want to leave?"

I was out of there, and I have never gone there again.
CMV is cytomegalovirus (probably spelled it wrong). DH and I are BOTH O negative and CMV negative. Used to donate every six weeks, until several years ago, our local Red Cross changed locations. Too far, and office hours weren't conducive to us donating. We would give at blood drives until the last one. Had a "nurse" or volunteer or whatever they used mess both of us up. I had to have a blood pressure cuff instead of a tourniquet - always had it this way and it worked fine. But this lady left the cuff blown up. It hurt, of course, so I asked her to release the pressure. She did - then blew it right back up! Same thing with DH and his tourniquet - took it off when he complained, then put it right back on! Which of course, caused us both pain and slowed down the donation process.
Now they have finally quit calling us asking for blood. It took years.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4516 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
My family used to frequent Sweet Tomatoes restaurants near our home. Until February 21, I received regular emails with coupons and specials, but they must have purged their listing, because I stopped receiving them. I signed up again for their coupon emails, with the same address. They sent me a coupon and I printed it out (said it had to be presented on paper).

We get there, it is busy, but Sunday afternoon, so not concerned. First, the young woman working the register told me my coupon had expired. The coupon I had received that day, that specified it was valid for 14 days after August 25, 2013. Once I explained the date and that I had received it the same day, she managed to get it to work.  ::)
We found a table right away, and started to enjoy our lunch. DS (15) went to get their macaroni and cheese (which is delicious). He came back and started to eat it, then realized there was a nose hair or eyelash in the macaroni and cheese. It was disgusting. We showed our server, and the manager came while we were away from the table and was very condescending to DS, insisting that people walking by could have deposited it.

When DH and I returned to the table, I asked the server to get the manager again. No improvement. She ended up dropping by a free meal voucher and inquired if we wanted her to do anything else. Just very strange, maybe because she is very young, at least half the age of most of the workers there. DH did not eat anything else, he had lost his appetite.  :( We will not be returning to that location.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #4517 on: August 26, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Last week I went by my mechanic to get my tires aligned. After dropping the car off, I realized I was due for a tune-up, especially before leaving on a long road trip, and asked if they had time to fit me in. They didn't have time but they looked over the car and made a list of what needed to be done so I can take it to another mechanic.

Other mechanic took my list, did everything suggested and then called me and said my tires were horrible and on the point of exploding. I needed to replace them right away. I declined, since my tires have less than 25,000 miles on them and my usual mechanic would have said something while working on the alignment, etc. He said I was risking my own life and those of the other people on the road with me.

I took my car back to my original mechanic and asked if I needed new tires. Nope, they look fine, just need to be rotated.

lilfox

« Reply #4518 on: August 26, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
This isn't enough to blacklist the restaurant permanently, but we're sure not going back for a while.

The brewpub near us went through a renovation a few months ago and sent flyers talking up the new layout and new menu offerings about a month ago (so it's been up and operating for at least 4 weeks at this point).  It's always been a popular place even before the reno, so you'd naturally expect they would know how to handle a crowd - we'd been there before without issues.

Well, the reno expanded both their inside and outside seating capacity - made it more of an informal atmosphere (which is kind of a shame, I preferred the earlier look) and apparently exceeded the capacity of the kitchen and staff to keep up with demand.

We went early on Saturday, knowing it would be somewhat busy but thinking we would beat the rush... No such luck.  20 min wait (which is pretty normal) and we sat outside, since the weather was perfect.  Since we had DD with us and she was getting antsy, I put her order in with the drinks order so she would get her food as soon as possible - the waiter even said that was a good idea as the kitchen was a bit busy.  Then it was nearly 30 min before we got our own food and no sign of DD's, who had been asking us steadily where her food was, poor kid. When the waiter checked (after we had to ask him), the kitchen apparently lost DD's order ticket so hadn't ever started it.  One of the managers brought out her meal with a bonus side about 5-10 min later, and said DD's meal would be comped.  When we finally got the bill, it was not comped although the waiter took it right off after we told him what the manager had said.

Add to that DH's and my own food was not that good (bland sausage and room temp beer [not usual in the US and really odd for a brewery's own pub] for him, overcooked burger with wilted lettuce for me, oversalted fries for all), and it was a big letdown.

Petticoats

« Reply #4519 on: August 26, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
My friend shared this story with me. 

She had been referred to a specialized gynecologist for some issues.  She got ready, got into the stirrups and the doctor walks in.  He does the greeting, then sits, leans down and just as he begins the examination suddenly exclaims - "I KNOW YOU!"

Awkward pause...

"You used to be on news!" Cue moment of  :o for her as she wonders what the heck in his line of sight triggered this recognition as, yes, she did use to be on the news.  She is not too keen on returning.

Bwahaha! I had a friend who had a very similar story, only she was recognized because she's an actress. Still, the weirdness of being recognized at that moment...

Tacky I know but...    is your friend Sharon Stone?

LOL! That was the weirdest bit--he recognized her from a play set in the Victorian era, in which her costume (I saw it) covered her from neck to ankle.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4520 on: August 26, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
*sigh* Play-Asia.com. I gave them two chances, and that's two too many.

Chance 1: a few years back, a friend purchased me a portable game system through them (why he didn't just order one from a local place, I really don't know, Play-Asia was not any cheaper.) Now, their shipping policy clearly states in numerous places that all orders ship out within one week. Well, three and a half months on, with them giving us the runaround and refusing to tell us what the blinkin' heck was going on, they finally got their heads out of a certain bodily orifice, apologized profusely and promptly shipped it out, promising expedited shipping with full insurance as repayment for all the trouble. Except they ACTUALLY sent it out with their cheapest shipping option, which had NO insurance or tracking whatsoever and took twice as long. Thankfully the system did arrive in perfect condition...

Chance 2: Having forgot about the fiasco in Chance 1, I placed an order for a limited-edition CD. Again, it's promised to ship out within a week. Not even close. It took three weeks, and they changed the shipping preference on it (I went for cheap shipping, yes, but I DID make sure to insure it) to the FREE shipping with - you guessed it - no insurance and tracking. I have no idea where my CD is, when it's going to get here, and no one from the company has even deigned to lift a finger to respond to the complaint I sent in.

And upon asking around in my circle of friends and acquaintances, this is sadly the norm. Not a one has gotten what they were promised in a timely manner, and some didn't get it at all.

That's it. I'm done. I am never shopping there again, no matter if they're the only place on earth that has what I want. How do companies like that even stay in business??
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4521 on: August 26, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »
I've had good luck with Play-Asia. I bought my DS Lite from them(I wanted a color not marketed in the US), and at a later date a concert DVD. No hassle.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4522 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »
Liliane, I'd be filing a dispute with your credit card company (assuming you paid by credit card) - if you paid for your item to arrive within one week and it hasn't shown up in three, PLUS the company actively won't help you, they're clearly not all that invested in you receiving your purchase.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4523 on: August 27, 2013, 02:50:29 AM »
It actually wasn't supposed to ARRIVE within one week, Slartibartfast - only to SHIP within one week. I did finally get the ship notice so I know it's out there, and I know it will realistically take about two weeks to arrive (coming from somewhere in Asia, not entirely sure where. It is a Japanese CD, but there is a chance it's coming from China or somesuch.) So unfortunately, I can't go after them on that part. I'm just willing to drop it entirely and never buy from them again at this point; arguing is like beating my head into a brick wall.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4524 on: August 27, 2013, 05:20:42 AM »
Ouch, Liliane! I do hope it turns up safely and you get some satisfaction - I've always had fine service from Play-Asia, but maybe you got the one bad apple in the shipping department. :P I don't blame you for getting fed up after that sort of non-service!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4525 on: August 27, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »
Not to mention if you're paying extra for shipping it a certain way and they choose the free option so they can have a little extra $$, that would really, really tick me off.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4526 on: August 27, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
My friend shared this story with me. 

She had been referred to a specialized gynecologist for some issues.  She got ready, got into the stirrups and the doctor walks in.  He does the greeting, then sits, leans down and just as he begins the examination suddenly exclaims - "I KNOW YOU!"

Awkward pause...

"You used to be on news!" Cue moment of  :o for her as she wonders what the heck in his line of sight triggered this recognition as, yes, she did use to be on the news.  She is not too keen on returning.

Bwahaha! I had a friend who had a very similar story, only she was recognized because she's an actress. Still, the weirdness of being recognized at that moment...

A friend of mine had her first baby at 15, in a strange hospital where she knew NO ONE, then took her baby back home, in another state and never went back to the state she birthed in. (She was on vacation and didn't actually know she was so close to having the baby. She had a really stupid doctor 'back home') this actually is important to the story.

fast forward eleven years, she is getting a pelvic exam for her 4th child and the doctor who she just met suddenly says. "Oh, I delivered your baby!"

She looks down confused and he continues. "You must have had a baby in [first birth state] because i sewed up this tear."

Turns out he WAS the OB who delivered her daughter. She just didn't recognize him and he didn't recognize her until just then,

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4527 on: August 27, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
fast forward eleven years, she is getting a pelvic exam for her 4th child and the doctor who she just met suddenly says. "Oh, I delivered your baby!"

She looks down confused and he continues. "You must have had a baby in [first birth state] because i sewed up this tear."

Turns out he WAS the OB who delivered her daughter. She just didn't recognize him and he didn't recognize her until just then,
Hah!  I always suspected that they were doing embroidery down there, it took so long to sew up the episiotomy. :D  (And when it's done with no anesthetic, it HURTS, a lot worse than the actual birth!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

dawbs

« Reply #4528 on: August 27, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
It actually wasn't supposed to ARRIVE within one week, Slartibartfast - only to SHIP within one week. I did finally get the ship notice so I know it's out there, and I know it will realistically take about two weeks to arrive (coming from somewhere in Asia, not entirely sure where. It is a Japanese CD, but there is a chance it's coming from China or somesuch.) So unfortunately, I can't go after them on that part. I'm just willing to drop it entirely and never buy from them again at this point; arguing is like beating my head into a brick wall.
FWIW, I have won CC disputes based on timing.
I showed my printouts of the order, that told me it would arrive in 1 week to the CC company and said I no longer wanted the item, because it didn't arrive in the correct timeframe and would be refusing the package.  The company said "but we sent it".
I won, I refused the pacage and got my $ back

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4529 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »

...   FWIW, I have won CC disputes based on timing.
I showed my printouts of the order, that told me it would arrive in 1 week to the CC company and said I no longer wanted the item, because it didn't arrive in the correct timeframe and would be refusing the package.  The company said "but we sent it".
I won, I refused the pacage and got my $ back

I have a question.  How did you show the CC company your printout of the order.  Did you have to take it somewhere?  Mail it? Or is there a way to do that by computer?

P.S.  Good for you for standing your ground and getting your money back!