Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1136702 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4560 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
DH and I stopped at a Wendy's one night.  It was around 9:30pm; the sign on the door said the dining room was open til 10.  They had already begun closing for the night; the dining room chairs were all on top of tables, trash bags taken out of the bins, etc.  When we ordered our food, I couldn't get a baked potato because they were out, and something else (chili, maybe?) had already been cleaned up for the night.  We finally managed to get hamburgers and fries, all stale and near cold, and were told the dining room was closed, so we'd have to take the food to go.  Essentially, the employees had already shut the store down for the night and weren't interested in getting anything dirty again to make us fresh food, or risk having to clean up trash from two people eating.  I emailed Wendy's corporate with the details, and by noon the next day had the owner of that particular franchise location calling me and falling all over himself to apologize.  He said that all the staff would be retrained on proper closing procedures, and offered me a free meal, or vouchers for a free meal, or just about anything I wanted.  We were visiting DH's family at the time and weren't going to be near the store again, so I declined, but I did send a follow up email to corporate to let them know that the franchisee did take the complaint seriously and we were satisfied with the resolution.

Couldn't put your finger on it, huh?

BWAHAHAHA - point to Diane.

I must be really stoopid 'cuz I don't get it!
Several years ago a woman claimed to find a human finger in Wendy's chili.  There was a finger, all right, but she had planted it there in order to sue the restaurant chain.
From whence did she get the finger?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4561 on: August 29, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
Shoo, you aren't the only one who didn't get it.  I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4562 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
Wait, Grammarnerd:  The store not only gives you well-past-expired items twice, acts like you're being difficult when you complain about it, and people think that the store handled it "fine?" Do you live next door to the doormat factory, or something? Sheesh. Once, I can understand -- mistakes happen -- if the store is apologetic about it. But to act like you're giving them a hard time?

Yeah. You're not overreacting. Your friends were underreacting.

Rob

I agree.

GrammarNerd, time to call the health department. They get *very* excited when stores sell expired food.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4563 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
Wait, Grammarnerd:  The store not only gives you well-past-expired items twice, acts like you're being difficult when you complain about it, and people think that the store handled it "fine?" Do you live next door to the doormat factory, or something? Sheesh. Once, I can understand -- mistakes happen -- if the store is apologetic about it. But to act like you're giving them a hard time?

Yeah. You're not overreacting. Your friends were underreacting.

Rob

I agree.

GrammarNerd, time to call the health department. They get *very* excited when stores sell expired food.

Oh yea.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4564 on: August 29, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »
DH and I stopped at a Wendy's one night. <snip> I couldn't get a baked potato because they were out, and something else (chili, maybe?) had already been cleaned up for the night. 

Couldn't put your finger on it, huh?

BWAHAHAHA - point to Diane.

I must be really stoopid 'cuz I don't get it!
Several years ago a woman claimed to find a human finger in Wendy's chili.  There was a finger, all right, but she had planted it there in order to sue the restaurant chain.
From whence did she get the finger?
The Snopes article that I linked to said that one of her husband's coworkers lost in in a workplace accident.  Not sure how the husband got his hands on it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #4565 on: August 29, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
My ex-BIL once visited a local hamburger chain fairly late at night after clubbing.  This chain was known for being open 24 hours, so the lateness of the hour wasn't to blame for what happened next ... he ordered a burger, and the waitress pulled out a bag of buns.  Every single bun was BRIGHT GREEN with mould.    He waited for her to notice, and when he realized in horror that she was about to use one of the buns anyway, he pointed out the issue.  Her response:  "Oh.  Did you want me to open another bag?"  Him:  "No, thanks.  I think I'll eat somewhere else."

heyyoume

« Reply #4566 on: August 30, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
I'm never shopping at my nearest fish and chip shop again.  I go 15 minutes out of my way to shop elsewhere since the last time I was in there the person handling the food wrapped everything up with a gaping cut on her hand - open and oozing and just not very pretty.   When I pointed it out she said it was clean as she'd cut it on her pruning shears in the garden and it was only dirt and I shouldn't be so prudish.  I figured if that was the standard at the counter when they were in view of the customer then who knew what they were doing with the food when we couldn't see.  They also had an annoying habit of cooking your food when you walked in and paid even if you'd ordered over the phone, so there was ALWAYS a fifteen minute wait :(

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4567 on: August 30, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
I'm never shopping at my nearest fish and chip shop again.  I go 15 minutes out of my way to shop elsewhere since the last time I was in there the person handling the food wrapped everything up with a gaping cut on her hand - open and oozing and just not very pretty.   When I pointed it out she said it was clean as she'd cut it on her pruning shears in the garden and it was only dirt and I shouldn't be so prudish.  I figured if that was the standard at the counter when they were in view of the customer then who knew what they were doing with the food when we couldn't see.  They also had an annoying habit of cooking your food when you walked in and paid even if you'd ordered over the phone, so there was ALWAYS a fifteen minute wait :(

...Bodily fluids and dirt? That's practically the definition of NOT clean!!!!! Eeeeergh!!!!!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #4568 on: August 30, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
My mom told me a story about once when she was in a Taco Bell. The guy making her food had a bandage around his hand, and part of the bandage had come loose and was dragging across the taco meat. She walked out without her food. I don't know if she had already paid or if she said anything to them about it.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4569 on: August 30, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

Did you report this to anyone?  Like the health department!

Amara

« Reply #4570 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
^ ^ ^

This! Please report it for other customers' sakes.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4571 on: August 30, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »
When I pointed it out she said it was clean as she'd cut it on her pruning shears in the garden and it was only dirt and I shouldn't be so prudish. 

Because goodness knows that dirty gardening implements are completely sterile....  :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #4572 on: August 30, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »
My ex-BIL once visited a local hamburger chain fairly late at night after clubbing.  This chain was known for being open 24 hours, so the lateness of the hour wasn't to blame for what happened next ... he ordered a burger, and the waitress pulled out a bag of buns.  Every single bun was BRIGHT GREEN with mould.    He waited for her to notice, and when he realized in horror that she was about to use one of the buns anyway, he pointed out the issue.  Her response:  "Oh.  Did you want me to open another bag?"  Him:  "No, thanks.  I think I'll eat somewhere else."

Urk!  I can't believe she actually asked that!  Who wants mouldy bread?

One time I was in my local supermarket and an entire tray of bagged rolls were green and mouldy.  They were in date but obviously not fit for consumption.  At the till (checkout) I discreetly mentioned it to the CSR saying that though they were in date, they were obviously 'off'.  She started telling me how they might feel stale but they were fine, and talked over me when I was trying to explain that no, they really weren't.  Finally, I declared, "They're green!"  At that point she stopped arguing and said she'd get them removed.

mmswm

« Reply #4573 on: August 31, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
I had a McDonald's tell me that I had to buy bottled water and couldn't get a cup of tap water because their water didn't work.  Ummm, yeah, nevermind the rest of my order.  I'll just go somewhere else.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4574 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
I had a McDonald's tell me that I had to buy bottled water and couldn't get a cup of tap water because their water didn't work.  Ummm, yeah, nevermind the rest of my order.  I'll just go somewhere else.

That would be something else to call the health department about.