Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1106669 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4620 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Reminds me of the video someone posted of a deliver driver tossing his new computer (monitor? big screen tv?) over the locked wrought iron gate into his driveway...instead of ringing for someone to come sign for it.....

I understand that it got a LOT of views on YouTube and the guy had his expensive equipment replaced by the delivery company....and that driver is no longer working for them.

But, seriously, why are they so over scheduled that they literally don't have thirty seconds to wait for someone to come to the door to sign for things?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:43:31 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cattlekid

« Reply #4621 on: September 08, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »
Good question.  I have definitely had instances where a package has been dropped that didn't require signing and between the time the driver rings the doorbell and I get to the door (we don't have a big house), he is either literally RUNNING to his truck or is already in the truck and driving off. 

Reminds me of the video someone posted of a deliver driver tossing his new computer (monitor? big screen tv?) over the locked wrought iron gate into his driveway...instead of ringing for someone to come sign for it.....

I understand that it got a LOT of views on YouTube and the guy had his expensive equipment replaced by the delivery company....and that driver is no longer working for them.

But, seriously, why are they so over scheduled that they literally don't have thirty seconds to wait for someone to come to the door to sign for things?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4622 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »
Good question.  I have definitely had instances where a package has been dropped that didn't require signing and between the time the driver rings the doorbell and I get to the door (we don't have a big house), he is either literally RUNNING to his truck or is already in the truck and driving off. 

I call that the "ring and run' i live in an apt. Upstairs. You walk in my door, and along that wall is my couch, where I'm normally parked after work. UPS will buzz my apt, and i get up, open the door, and head down the stairs. 3 seconds tops. i open my door for teh package, and he's halfway down the sidewalk! thankfully, my complex is pretty safe and its only sitting there for maybe 30 seconds, but really?

BB-VA

« Reply #4623 on: September 08, 2013, 10:16:50 PM »

The last FedEx package we got, the driver just attached the tag to the door.  Didn't knock and apparently didn't even take the package out of the truck.  My husband heard him and made it to the door in time to see him drive away.  I don't know what the problem was - the box was less than 3 pounds.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Amara

« Reply #4624 on: September 08, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
Unfortunately for customers, UPS and FedEx drastically over schedule their drivers. I was once hired by FedEx--I only lasted about two weeks into training--and while their training videos stress how important it is to get another driver to help you load large and/or heavy packages the morning's load to rush simply doesn't allow that. Plus, drivers work alone. And at least at FedEx, although I am pretty sure UPS isn't different, the drivers are given detailed reports on how well they do every week. Heaven help them if they don't look good on paper.

norrina

« Reply #4625 on: September 08, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »
I live in a town home community with package acceptance. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Saturday there is someone in the office to receive delivery if a resident is not home to accept delivery personally. Usually the system works out well enough, although I don't always receive a delivery tag to know the office is holding a package for me unless I've been tracking it. On one particular day, however, I came home, just as the skies opened up in a torrential downpour that had been threatening all day, to see a cardboard box sitting in front of my door. No covered porch, no plastic bag, and not even remotely hidden (if it had been tucked behind the bush that it was leaning against it would have been at least partially protected from the elements, as well as not blatantly visible to the rest of the neighborhood, which seems to be fairly crime-free, but let's not tempt fate).

It was a delivery from FedEx. The shipment of saa paper (pressed flower paper) fans for our wedding. Luckily since I got home when I did I was able to rescue the shipment from the certain ruin it would have suffered had I been even 30 minutes later.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4626 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:08 AM »
Unfortunately for customers, UPS and FedEx drastically over schedule their drivers. I was once hired by FedEx--I only lasted about two weeks into training--and while their training videos stress how important it is to get another driver to help you load large and/or heavy packages the morning's load to rush simply doesn't allow that. Plus, drivers work alone. And at least at FedEx, although I am pretty sure UPS isn't different, the drivers are given detailed reports on how well they do every week. Heaven help them if they don't look good on paper.

You should see the "time savers" UPS came up with for my neighborhood + surrounding neighborhoods. They put a small shed in the parking lot of a local store, stick packages in it, drive off, another UPS driver shows up later and then gets into a golf cart sized vehicle to deliver the packages around the neighborhood. ??? Also, they bring trainees on some runs here, have the trainees sprints to the door with a package and immediately drive off without them. Then the trainees run down the street, get back on the truck, grab a package, get ditched again, rinse and repeat.  ::)

alkira6

« Reply #4627 on: September 09, 2013, 07:38:45 AM »
Yeah, FEDEX is kind of screwy with the scheduling.  On paper, you have 45 seconds for a standard delivery to a single family home from the time you stop in front of the home. In reality, you have so many packages a 10 second window is more the norm. You also have drivers that will overload on packages to get the "extra delivery" bonus - if the drivers take out "2nd attempt" packages for delivery they get bonuses for each one delivered.  They also get dinged for any depot returns at the end of the day, no matter the reason, so you get the "enterprising" drivers who will put a package anywhere or punt it over a fence to scan it in as delivered.

Jones

« Reply #4628 on: September 09, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
I'm lucky on UPS delivery in my area. The driver who delivers to my home also delivers to my workplace, so when he sees my name he just delivers it to me right at work while he's doing work deliveries. He did ask me the first few times this happened, and I insisted I was happy with the arrangement.

I'm still trying to figure out FedEx; we use them at work, and I haven't figured out which driver is "ours." I strongly suspected they changed routes weekly, until the day we got three deliveries from three different drivers, and it wasn't that they'd switched trucks because they all drove different styles of vehicles (a van, a pickup with one of those bed covers, and a diesel).

Funny story though...once at work we were expecting an overnighted package, desperately. We don't have a FedEx sorting facility in our town, everything is driven over from the next town. So when the tracking number showed it was on a truck for delivery approximately a half hour ago (the time to get from one town to another), one of the shop guys took it into his own hands to get the widget. He drove around, found a FedEx truck, gave them the tracking number and asked if they had the package. They did not (of course) but made a quick phone call to the driver to did, and sent my shop guy to rendezvous with the correct truck. When he showed up beaming and told his story we had to laugh; he really thought the first driver he found would be the correct one? But when he pointed out that it had worked, we had to agree, it had.

hjaye

« Reply #4629 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »

I worked at UPS one summer back in the late nineties loading trucks.  When the drivers started their routes, they had a printout of the number of packages to deliver, and the number of stops to make.  They also were told how many miles they would have to drive, and how long it would take them complete the route. 

So they might have 110 stops, 212 miles and 10 hours. They had some leeway on the miles and stops something like 30 miles and 30 minutes, but if they consistently went over the allotted time and miles they would lose their jobs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:18:00 AM by hjaye »

Friday

« Reply #4630 on: September 09, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
I would LOVE it if both Fed-Ex and UPS would NOT even try to deliver to my house, but instead just give a phone call "you have a package come pick up from the hub".  Then I would know that things are safe.  I'm currently working with UPS and a retailer over a missing UPS package.  A box of copper, silver, brass and even some gold wire was supposedly left on my front porch.  The value was $500, and being metals, they could be turned in for scrap (at a fraction of the value I paid).  The package was either left at the wrong address or was stolen.  I then spent another week without having the materials that I really wanted to play with over the weekend.  If they had simply called me to pick up from the hub, I would have had everything and nobody would be out the money....

And this isn't the first time we've dealt with a missing package or screwiness in where they were left.... the Fed-ex delivery person of a few years back loved to go through the privacy gate into the back yard and leave things at the back door... where we wouldn't think to check for days (think waterlogged packages a couple times).  Another time, when we called about a missing package (UPS I think), we were instructed to look in the "building in the back".  Apparently, the driver went through the back yard, opened the door to the hot tub structure and placed the package on top of the covered hot tub.  I thought that they couldn't enter private property....

Redsoil

« Reply #4631 on: September 09, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
Have to say that we received a package at work today via FedEx, and are astonished at how quickly it arrived!  Order was from the US to us in rural Australia - only took 5 days!  (Quite often packages sent within Australia take a week or two to rural areas.)  Very impressed!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Shalamar

« Reply #4632 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »
This is reminding me of the newspaper delivery person that my husband and I saw this morning.  Rather than get out of his car and put the newspaper in the customer's mailbox or on his front step, the carrier just dumped it on the lawn underneath some bushes.  When that customer is looking for his paper, he probably won't even be able to see it.

Thing is, I used to be a newspaper carrier a few years ago - so I know what the job was like.  I never just dumped the paper wherever I felt like - if the customer had a mailbox, the paper went there, and if he didn't, I put the paper in a plastic bag and left it on his doorstep.  And that was in all kinds of weather, including freezing rain.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #4633 on: September 09, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
Package delivery is part of the reason why I love living in the apartment complex I do.  The office will take and sign for any package, and I can pick it up at my leisure.  USPS won't do that unless you specifically request it, so I actually got the name and address of the local postmaster and wrote to him, and now ALL packages go to the office.    Add the security and the laundry service to the list, and I may never leave here until I leave feet first.

Sebastienne

« Reply #4634 on: September 09, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
I almost felt genuinely bad for a FedEx guy the other day. There was some thumping on the front porch followed by a knock at the door, and Mr. FedEx was standing there with two GIANT packages from West Elm. Like, unassembled dining room table sized packages. He was older, and he was panting, and he asked me to sign for them.

Thing was, we hadn't ordered any furniture. I asked who the boxes were for, and he said, "Jason." We are not Jason. He double-checked the address and realized that instead of bringing them to, say, 2130 OurStreet, he'd brought them to our house--2030 OurStreet.

I felt kind of bad for him, at least until he asked if I could just drop them off at my neighbors' house. "It's just down the block! It's the neighborly thing to do!" Two 100+ pound boxes of furniture parts. No, no I could not.