Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1219826 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4635 on: September 10, 2013, 12:44:41 AM »
If I could not use FedEx ever again I wouldn't.  ; >:(

On Wednesday I had a very expensive package out for delivery. An Alienware computer. I waited. The guy shows up and starts digging about in his truck. Finally he looks at me, shrugs, and says he can't find it he'll be back later.

What?! Long conversation with customer support later and he shows back up in 20 minutes. He was pissed, and I could hear his supervisor on the phone and he didn't sound happy. I don't know what the issue was, I mean my box was only 20lbs and they load their truck in delivery order for the most part. I had no guarantee that he'd be back. He was even ruder when he took my ID # and saw that I'm pretty young and I could detect a bit of 'how can she afford this!?' attitude from him.

I think the issue was the driver was lazy and couldn't be bothered to keep looking :) glad you got your package though!

Heard there was a big scam going with hard to get Wii units years ago.  Delivery drivers were faking delivery attempts and after the 3rd attempt the boxes were sent back to the seller.  Except the packages were never sent, they "disappeared" in the system.  Turns out delivery employees were taking them for personal use or resale.  The merchant was stuck making a claim or taking the loss.

I wonder if your driver was hoping to eventually make your Alien "his"  >:(.

And here I thought I was just being uncharitable having that thought.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4636 on: September 10, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
You weren't the only one.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4637 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »
I would LOVE it if both Fed-Ex and UPS would NOT even try to deliver to my house, but instead just give a phone call "you have a package come pick up from the hub".

<snip>

At least when I have packages being delivered via UPS, I am able to use the tracking information to tell them that I want them to hold the package at their depot. Since they only do 3 delivery attempts, I always select that option after they've tried to deliver it twice. I sometimes select it sooner if I know my husband isn't likely to be at home.

The UPS sorting facility isn't all that far from my office, so it's doable for me to go pick up packages on my lunch break. I agree that it's often a lot more convenient, especially if there's likely to be nobody home or it's something that's really valuable.

I think they hold it for something like a week before they return it to sender, so it sometimes gives me a bit more of a window to have time to pick up the package, too.

That said, I love when I get packages through USPS. The mailboxes for my section of my apartment complex are right outside my apartment, and they've got four large boxes specifically for packages. I've only ordered things too large to fit in those a handful of times in the past 6 years. I love that system, because they put your package in one of the boxes, and then put the key in your mailbox. So even if nobody is home for a few days running, the package is safe and dry until I have time to check my mail.

Our development has several of these - but various people have either broken the locks or broken/lost the keys (I asked the delivery person why boxes were being placed on my front porch behind a brick pillar).  Since the US postal service is having to cut costs somehow as they were not allowed to stop Saturday deliveries or raise the cost of postage, the local post office has apparently stopped rekeying the locks or replacing the locks if they are broken...

Sadly, it just shows WHY more competitive business models and tech services have taken the better paying services away from the post office over the last thirty or so years (FedEx, UPS, email, fax machines, and the like) leaving the "cheaper" services with the post office - or at least that is what it feels like sometimes!

I do send mail, really, but there are times when I wonder WHY? 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kariachi

« Reply #4638 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

On Wednesday I had a very expensive package out for delivery. An Alienware computer. I waited. The guy shows up and starts digging about in his truck. Finally he looks at me, shrugs, and says he can't find it he'll be back later.

What?! Long conversation with customer support later and he shows back up in 20 minutes. He was pissed, and I could hear his supervisor on the phone and he didn't sound happy. I don't know what the issue was, I mean my box was only 20lbs and they load their truck in delivery order for the most part. I had no guarantee that he'd be back. He was even ruder when he took my ID # and saw that I'm pretty young and I could detect a bit of 'how can she afford this!?' attitude from him.

I think the issue was the driver was lazy and couldn't be bothered to keep looking :) glad you got your package though!

Heard there was a big scam going with hard to get Wii units years ago.  Delivery drivers were faking delivery attempts and after the 3rd attempt the boxes were sent back to the seller.  Except the packages were never sent, they "disappeared" in the system.  Turns out delivery employees were taking them for personal use or resale.  The merchant was stuck making a claim or taking the loss.

I can't speak for FedEx, but I can talk about the USPS. More specifically, how my dad's motorcycle and cigar magazines would mysteriously show up several weeks after they were supposed to, torn and covered in coffee stains and the like. Or how our postal carrier would park in our driveway and ignore us standing there while she wrote out the card saying that nobody had been home to sign for our packages. There's nothing like having somebody hand you a note saying they can't give you your stuff because you aren't there.

Is it any wonder we don't like her?

Thankfully they seem to have finally just given someone else her route full-time. I like this guy, he's great compared to her. Actually delivers our stuff without taking any of it home. Packages are actually put in the mailbox instead of us just getting a note saying that they wouldn't fit*.   :D

Our UPS guy is cool too, never been a problem. We chat.

*Our mailbox is about 8 inches x 12 inches x 18 inches. The packages tended to be about 4 inches by 6 inches x 2 inches. They would have fit.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature ó that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

hjaye

« Reply #4639 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
Iím never going back to the Minyards grocery store my wife shopped at last night, and Iím never going back to the gym we went to last night, so I guess itís a two ferÖ.: 

The gym my wife and I go to is closed for two weeks for renovations.  Itís a part of a chain, so we went to the next closest one to our house.  I donít know what they were thinking but they put the treadmills at the front of the gym where there is nothing but large plate glass windows with no screen on any of the windows.  The western sun shines directly onto anyone that is on the treadmills.  That plus they have no fans in that part of the gym, and no direct A/C blowing in the area makes for a very uncomfortable work out.

So after an abbreviated workout, we left.  We needed some things from the grocery store, and there is a Minyards grocery store right next to the gym, so we figured we would pick up what we needed there.  Iíve never seen a more disorganized checkout.

I thought at first I had mistakenly gone into a speedy checkout lane, but then I looked and saw all the registers were set up the same.  There is no place to set your items when you take them out of the basket, you push the basket up to the checker, and she takes the item out and scans them.  She has to leave the items in front of her since she has to bag them.  There is a moving belt, that moves the items away from her (as opposed to bringing them to her) I would have told her to turn it on and I will bag as she scans just so I could get out of there faster, but there were no bags at the end.

The bags were off to her left, hanging from a hook.  So she would scan three or four items, and then have to turn to her left to bag the items, then take the bag of the hook and try to find a place to put the bag.  She was clearing out parts of the cart as she scanned so she could put the bags back into the cart.
It was the most inefficient disorganized method of checking out a customer I have ever seen.  I felt bag for the girl working the register.

That plus the fact that after waiting almost twenty minutes in line to get checked out, just as we were next, a front end manager came over to pull her tapes and take money out of her till, which took another five minutes.
It took almost forty minutes from the time we got in line, to when we finally left the store.  I expect wait times like that when Iím shopping around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #4640 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

And here I thought I was just being uncharitable having that thought.

I have to say after I got the box I was wondering the same thing. They don't use discreet boxes for that sort of computer.

My biggest worry was, the guy on the phone said that he had to come back since he never scanned the box. I was wondering if that's what he was doing while he was in there. It was seriously the strangest delivery experience I've had so far.

I honestly prefer ups or USPS. My mail lady will hand me any packages and the ups guy has been delivering to my house for years.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4641 on: September 10, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
GameStop is coming very, very, very, very close to being put on my "you do not deserve my business" list...they only aren't there because they are the ONLY place I can get specific games...

They have charged me $50 for absolutely nothing. I haven't ordered anything lately - all I have in is two preorders that don't even come out till next year! - I was never sent any sort of confirmation email, there's nothing in my order history. Just this sudden unexpected $50 charge that I never would have even KNOWN about if I hadn't tried to buy something tonight and had my card declined. I swear, I have never been this angry in my life.

I did contact them - I can't do it by phone unfortunately, so I had to go through their email form and I don't expect I'll get a response. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point, except see if I actually do end up receiving some sort of package. :-\

(And no, before anyone jumps to the scary conclusion, I'm positive no one's got my card info.)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

NyaChan

« Reply #4642 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
GameStop is coming very, very, very, very close to being put on my "you do not deserve my business" list...they only aren't there because they are the ONLY place I can get specific games...

They have charged me $50 for absolutely nothing. I haven't ordered anything lately - all I have in is two preorders that don't even come out till next year! - I was never sent any sort of confirmation email, there's nothing in my order history. Just this sudden unexpected $50 charge that I never would have even KNOWN about if I hadn't tried to buy something tonight and had my card declined. I swear, I have never been this angry in my life.

I did contact them - I can't do it by phone unfortunately, so I had to go through their email form and I don't expect I'll get a response. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point, except see if I actually do end up receiving some sort of package. :-\

(And no, before anyone jumps to the scary conclusion, I'm positive no one's got my card info.)

You should probably challenge the charge with your credit card company.  They'll look into it for you.

Jones

« Reply #4643 on: September 10, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

You should probably challenge the charge with your credit card company.  They'll look into it for you.
It isn't time to update the annual membership is it?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4644 on: September 10, 2013, 09:48:24 PM »

It isn't time to update the annual membership is it?

No, I just renewed in May and that's only $15.

I'm giving them a couple days to respond, and then I'm going to go to the bank and let them raise holy Cain. I suppose the most annoying part is the bit of my mind that says "well, you might have had an order open..." when I darn well know I did NOT...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #4645 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
UPS MyChoice has been my lifesaver.  They send me a notification the day before I am supposed to get a package and I can either tell them where to leave it or tell them to hold it at the depot for pickup.  You sign up online and it is free.

BB-VA

« Reply #4646 on: September 10, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
FedEx, in my experience, does a wonderful job delivering to businesses and in city settings.  But when you live 5 miles from the city limits and a tenth of a mile from the county road, not so much.  I also wish they would just give me a call and I'll pick up the package at the hub.

The absolute worst, IMO, is DHL.  At least FedEx can find my house!!

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4647 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
I feel sort of bad, sometimes, because I hear so many bad stories about delivery companies, and we have such good luck in general!  We order a *ton* of stuff from Amazon--we often have a delivery every few days.  They always arrive, safe, and in good condition.  FedEx, UPS, even the mail delivery. 

We did have an issue in our previous house with USPS, though.  We were working on the roof over the door and the gutters were removed, so the little outside mailbox would get wet.  When we went on vacation, we put a hold on our mail, asking them to hold it and then delivery it on Saturday.  They'd deliver it Friday, in the rain, and it would all get soaking wet.  So the next time, we were going to get home on Monday, so I asked them to deliver it on Wednesday, giving myself a buffer just in case.  Nope, didn't work.  They still delivered it on Monday (or maybe Saturday?) and it was soaking wet when we got home.  <sigh>  The next time I added like 4 days of buffer and it arrived the day after we got home, finally.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4648 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
UPS MyChoice has been my lifesaver.  They send me a notification the day before I am supposed to get a package and I can either tell them where to leave it or tell them to hold it at the depot for pickup.  You sign up online and it is free.

What is this choice you speak of???

suzieQ

« Reply #4649 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »

What is this choice you speak of???

I started to sign up but there is a fee if I want to have it delivered somewhere else. Read the terms of service carefully.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/