Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1161310 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4710 on: September 15, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
I sometimes think that most bra companies are run by men.  Not to speak disparagingly of men, but there are some things they just don't understand, and how bras work is one of them.   

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4711 on: September 15, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
A local jewelry store....

I was looking at rings and found one I really liked.  The salesperson had the nerve to argue with me about the size I requested because "No adult woman can wear under a 7".  Well, I undoubted wear a 6.  Sales person reluctantly,y agreed to pull out the ring size thingie, confirmed it was a 6 I needed, but still refused to sell me a 6.  FTR, they had a 6 in the case.  I still can't figure why they kept pushing the 7, which was obviously too big...it wouldn't even stay on my finger.  Sweet monkey fritters!!?!?!?

I left and haven't been back since.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

stkatie00

« Reply #4712 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »

I was looking at rings and found one I really liked.  The salesperson had the nerve to argue with me about the size I requested because "No adult woman can wear under a 7".  Well, I undoubted wear a 6.  Sales person reluctantly,y agreed to pull out the ring size thingie, confirmed it was a 6 I needed, but still refused to sell me a 6.  FTR, they had a 6 in the case.  I still can't figure why they kept pushing the 7, which was obviously too big...it wouldn't even stay on my finger.  Sweet monkey fritters!!?!?!?

That's crazy! My wedding band/engagement ring are 5" and 5.5", and I think my sister wears a 4.5"! We have small fingers in our family... I wouldn't go back either. Maybe she wears a 7, and is jealous of those who wear a smaller size?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4713 on: September 15, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

That's crazy! My wedding band/engagement ring are 5" and 5.5", and I think my sister wears a 4.5"! We have small fingers in our family... I wouldn't go back either. Maybe she wears a 7, and is jealous of those who wear a smaller size?

I have no idea what the deal was.  I'vwe had it hapoen before, until the person looks at my tiny hands.  I've had a few pull out the sizer and be mildy shocked, but never had a refusal to sell me the size I requested.  It was just bizarre.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

HoneyBee42

« Reply #4714 on: September 15, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

I have no idea what the deal was.  I'vwe had it hapoen before, until the person looks at my tiny hands.  I've had a few pull out the sizer and be mildy shocked, but never had a refusal to sell me the size I requested.  It was just bizarre.

They wanted to charge for re-sizing? Otherwise, I got nothing (and I'm also in the 'itty bitty bird bones' category--my ring size is 4.5).  But then I found a place online where I can get what I want (they carry size 4-12). 

norrina

« Reply #4715 on: September 15, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »

Wow, she'd have a brain aneurysm if I stopped in. My wedding rings are a 3.75! (And I'm nearly 35 y.o., clearly an "adult".) A size 7 is too big for my thumb.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4716 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
That's so weird.  I'm a 6 (or, was when I got married, I keep having to size the band up during pregnancy and then back down afterwards, so I don't know for sure if it's still a 6), and I'd say that I have average-sized hands?  I'm fairly tall, so they are *not* tiny little things.  The only thing I can think of is wanting you to pay for resizing, but if that's not it, I got nuthin'.

nuit93

« Reply #4717 on: September 16, 2013, 02:05:58 AM »

That's strange...I wear a 7 (well, 6 3/4 on the left hand ring finger, 7 on the right hand ring finger), but my fingers are also a little flabby.  I find it impossible to claim that a grown woman should have smaller hands!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4718 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:32 AM »

They wanted to charge for re-sizing? Otherwise, I got nothing (and I'm also in the 'itty bitty bird bones' category--my ring size is 4.5).  But then I found a place online where I can get what I want (they carry size 4-12).

They don't charge for re-sizing for items purchased there.  It is still one of the strangest encounters I've ever had in a store.  None of it made any since.  Why carry something you refuse to sell?

I get that I may look bigger. I am actually very big boned/large frame, but my hands and feet are smaller than average.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4719 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »
She wanted to buy the 6 for herself is my guess.  If she could get you to buy a 7, that is.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4720 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
I have a hard time buying for my hands because of my knuckles. Anything small enough to fit around the base is too narrow to go around my knuckles.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4721 on: September 16, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
I have a hard time buying for my hands because of my knuckles. Anything small enough to fit around the base is too narrow to go around my knuckles.

There are hinged rings that open up to fit over the knuckle and then tighten at the base. This is a pretty old article about them: http://technical-articles.hooverandstrong.com/wordpress/arthritic-finger-joints-and-adjustable-rings/

You can see some here: http://www.stuller.com/browse/findings/shanks-guards/arthritic-shanks/ These are all plain shanks that the jeweller would then add stone settings, engrave, etc.

7 is one of the most common ring sizes for women. I think Lorelei hit the nail on the head.

Eeep!

« Reply #4722 on: September 16, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
I have also read that sample sizes in rings tend to be 7. So perhaps they just had tons of 7s.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4723 on: September 17, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »

How weird. IT's been a long time but I would have sworn all the woman's rings the store I worked in started as a size 6-7.   There were a few that couldn't be sized down or up , even though the manufactures claimed they could be (some channel mounting just didn't hold up once sized) but that would always be explained with "sized below a 7 this ring has issues with losing stones."

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4724 on: September 17, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
As I was backing out of the drive yesterday morning, I happened to look over at the porch. There was a box, delivered from my online pharmacy, with my INSULIN in it. The box had been overnight expressed, so it was delivered that morning. The delivery person did not ring the doorbell. If I hadn't looked over, the box would have stood there all day in the heat.

And this is why I will not buy my meds through the online pharmacy, despite the pleas from my insurance company and knowing that they will be a bit cheaper for us, too. We have three medications that are temperature sensitive, but any medication is not going to do well in 100 degrees or - 20 degrees in the handling/shipping process, plus the fact that it is sitting in my mailbox waiting for me or a thief to get it. Just, no!

We even talked about getting a Post Office box specially for this, but it just doesn't seem worthwhile with the extra transportation for us (even walking a total of 20 minutes from here to the Post Office if we have the time), and we still don't know what dock or truck they have been sitting on for how long.

Can you tell I'm a bit opinionated about this?
I wish that were an option, but my insurance will not pay for locally filled insulin. My insulin would cost close to $1000 per month if I filled it locally. And that doesn't account for the other meds. If I had all my meds filled locally, it would literally take my entire paycheck- if it didn't exceed it.
The insulin is shipped inside a styrofoam cooler, packed with ice packs, which were slightly melted, but still had plenty of ice. Since this is only an issue 4 times a year, I can plan to be watching for the insulin from here on out.

My mom takes medication that's the same way. Insurance won't pay for it unless she has it filled through the online pharmacy, and the medication is $6,900/month without insurance.

Hers gets delivered via FedEx. FedEx screwed up the delivery exactly once, and got torn down one side and up the other by the pharmacy because the medication is for a life threatening condition that Mom has.