Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1210798 times)

CakeBeret

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4725 on: September 17, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
$6,900/month without insurance.

Holy cow! This isn't a typo?

My migraine meds are $3,400 a month without insurance

When I was pregnant, I was on injectable blood thinners that were $4,900 per month without insurance. My copay was $500 a month.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4726 on: September 17, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
$6,900/month without insurance.

Holy cow! This isn't a typo?

Nope. It is the medication she takes for pulmonary arterial hypertension. It is horribly expensive. Mom's copay is $60.

Amara

« Reply #4727 on: September 17, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
I had no idea. I am beyond stunned.

*returning thread to its original topic now*

earthgirl

« Reply #4728 on: September 18, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »
I went to a big chain Italian restaurant, the one that does the unlimited soup/salad deal, for lunch one day.  I actually frequent two other locations on my days off because I am addicted to one of their soups, but this particular day I was in another town, I had an hour in between meetings, and they were right down the street.  I've easily gotten in and out of my usual location within a half hour of arriving, and it was well before the lunch rush (11:30 AM) so I thought I'd have no problem grabbing lunch and making my afternoon meeting. 

When I walked in I told the hostess I was rather pressed for time -- this is something that in my experience at the other locations, they usually ask on lunch hour, so I was trying to be proactive about ensuring I'd be able to get out of there with enough time.  She told me to tell my server.  No problem -- except my server never came.  There were two people behind me discussing their plans for karaoke that night, but I didn't know if they were assigned to my section, so I waited a bit.  After I'd been there for about 10 minutes, two women were seated at the table across from mine.  One of the girls talking about karaoke rushed up to them and immediately took their drink orders.  I waved her down as soon as she was done and asked if she could find my server for me -- turns out she was my server.  I told her, "I'm in a hurry," and gave her my drink & food order. 

To her credit, she did apologize and bring my food out immediately...and then completely ignored me again.  The restaurant was still fairly slow at that time but she was waiting on two other tables besides mine, to which she was very attentive, but she rushed right past me repeatedly unless I flagged her down.  I had to ask her to bring me a refill on my soup, to bring me my check, and to pick up my check.  I made it back to my meeting in time, but only just.

I'm not sure if she wrote me off from the beginning because I was a female dining alone (I know the stereotype about tipping -- I don't fit into that), or if she decided it wasn't worth trying to make up for having ignored me for over 10 minutes when I was first seated. 

My receipt included a website to fill out a survey on my experience.  I usually ignore those but I was so incensed over what has to have been the absolute worst service I have ever received to date, I filled it out.  I was immediately contacted by the manager of that location and he sent me quite a generous gift card. 

So, happy ending, at least.  It paid for 3 lunches at my usual location.  I don't plan to return to the other one. 

deadbody

« Reply #4729 on: September 18, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
I went to a big chain Italian restaurant, the one that does the unlimited soup/salad deal, for lunch one day.  I actually frequent two other locations on my days off because I am addicted to one of their soups, but this particular day I was in another town, I had an hour in between meetings, and they were right down the street.

I hesitate to go back there again without a gift card + coupons. Last time I went with my parents, it was $60 for two teas, one dessert and three entrees. And we didn't even order the most expensive meals. A few other gripes:
-We were seated next to a waist high brick wall with square planters on top. Wouldn't have sat there if I'd know some planters were wine holders; every time a waiter brought back a bottle, they loudly slammed it into the ice and against other bottles. Drove me bonkers!
-Mom and Dad wanted to split a dessert. They were seated too far apart to just reach across the table for a bite, but the waitress brought no extra plates. She tried to cover with "If I'd known you'd wanted a plate, I would've brought one. Most people don't want one, so you know, I didn't think to bring them."
- Their blackberry blood orange tea was so dry and syrupy tasting. I have never ever had tea that made my mouth turn to cotton before. Yuck. Had to ask for a regular tea as a replacement
- The waitress was asked for butter. She said "I can bring you some, but they're frozen. Are you okay with that ?" She brought out 4 pats to Mom, walked off and had to be told "We have three people. Can we have a few more pats of butter ?"
- I don't remember what chicken dish Mom ordered, but it was surprisingly bland  :P

I don't love their food, but I was hugely impressed with them the last time I went there.  I was with a group of about 12.  We were trying to find someplace to hang out and get a meal late, and the first place we went to refused us entrance because we were wearing hats and cargo shorts (this is a bar in a hotel in the suburbs, I was shocked that they had a dress code).  So we ended up at chain italian place instead because "They serve food and booze right?"  We got in about 20 mins before closing, and they were super nice to us.  We were there about an hour after close and we kept asking the server if we were a problem as they cleaned around us.  They kept saying no.  When the bill came it had the auto-grat on it.  We all still added another 15% or so.  Great service decent food.  Booze.  I was happy.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4730 on: September 18, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
I'm done with Comcast.
(forgive my lack of familiarity with the terms I should be using. DH could explain this much more clearly  :P)

Two years ago we signed up when we moved here and we noticed that service would be great for a few months, then nearly impossible to maintain for a week, then fine again. Very odd. The second or third time it happened we called and they sent a tech out who said it was our modem. DH knows a bit about it and he didn't think that was the case, but he admitted the modem was a bit old and probably wasn't helping, so he went on the Comcast website and browsed their recommended modems. We purchased the highest-quality one on the list. This was less than a year ago.

A few weeks ago it happened again so, after 3-4 days on not being able to stay connected, DH called again. Tech comes out and says "It's your modem." DH explains that it shouldn't be, as we purchased the one Comcast recommended. Tech says well then it must be the splitter because the one we're using "Looks like a cheap one from Radio Shack." DH says no, we got that from another Comcast tech, tech argues that DH must be mistaken because they'd never use such a cheap splitter. He replaces it with a different one, tests our internet, it's still out, so he reiterates that it must be the modem and offers that we can leave one from Comcast for $8 a month. DH declines and the tech leaves. We lived with the spotty service for another day or two and now it's absolutely fine. I posted about this on facebook and a handful of my friends replied to the effect of "Haha, that's Comcast for you. Unless you lease one from them it's always your modem!"

Yesterday I received my monthly bill with a $40 fee for an in-home service call. Excuse me? No. I chatted with a rep who reversed the charges but I'm done. Don't send a tech to my house to charge me $40 to say that he doesn't know what's wrong and can't fix it. We'd planned to transfer our service when we move next month but we've canceled it instead.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4731 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »
JenJay, did your lack of connection happen to coincide with bad weather?  I posted waaaaaaaaay upthread about Verizon losing our custom because every time it rained hard, we had no phone service.  Verizon "couldn't find a problem" because by the time they got a tech out, the rain had stopped and the line had dried out.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4732 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
We're having a very similar problem with CenturyLink these days - the internet will randomly get slow as molasses, keep dropping for no reason, etc. They also think it's the modem. It's not. We just REPLACED the modem because the old one croaked due to a brownout (to their credit, they overnighted a new one immediately the instant they heard "The power light's red".) It's either something on their end, or a problem with the wiring in the box outside the house, and they don't seem particularly interested in figuring out which one it is to fix it.

(At least their customer service seems to have improved from when they used to be Qwest. The last time we had a modem go on Qwest, they refused to believe it was dying, because it was NOT one of the 98% of modems that would show a red power light when having problems. We actually had to have a tech come out and do diagnostics on the modem before they'd admit it was actually dead...and they still tried to charge us a fee for that. My dad set them quick RIGHT straight.)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #4733 on: September 18, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
Husband changed our internet service provider from the national telco (Telstra) to a smaller, local one after three months being given the run-around.
Husband is an IT tech who does wiring and stuff as well (he's got an electricians' ticket so it's all safe and legal) and when we bought our house the first thing he did was find the terminal box and replace all the copper wire in the walls with fibre optic stuff and installed some extra data points. This was before we even got the internet connected.
We then got ADSL activated and got online, and everything was fine for the first six months. Then we found that our speeds dropped dramatically about a week into every billing period, and we were having dropouts constantly. We weren't even getting near our download limits, so there was no reason we should have been having speed issues.
I called to report the problem and got the usual 'reset your modem' blah-blah so I followed all the steps (even though we'd already done all the basic troubleshooting the night before with no difference.
They said they'd send a tech, and that we'd need someone home all day on the Friday. Thankfully I wasn't scheduled to work so I was able to be there.
Waited all day with slow internets and nothing to watch on TV. The house was Very Clean by the end of the day.
No tech showed, but on Monday we got an e-mail saying that the tech had been out and determined that the problem was beyond their network, must be somewhere in our cabling - but they can fix that! For the low-low price of $799 (!!!!) they could get someone to replace the cabling in our walls with the new fibre that they have!
Uh, no.
Husband spent months e-mailing back and forth and after about three months of this (and a $299 'service to premises' charge that we successfully refuted) got so sick of it that he called another ISP.
Three days later we had a faster connection for cheaper and haven't had any further issues in 3.5 years with them.
The other horror stories people in Australia can tell about Telstra could make up a thread on their own...
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Adelaide

« Reply #4734 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
I was at Wegmans (who am I kidding, I love it there, just not this time) and I had the worst cashier EVER. She chatted with the woman in front of me forever, then when I got up to the register she scanned my items at a glacial pace. She paused and reached over to touch my phone, which was resting on the check/purse counter, and asked me if I had the app. I quickly replied that I didn't and put it in my pocket so she wouldn't pick it up.

I brought three reusable bags with me and placed them at the front of the line in front of my groceries. I realized that they might not all fit in the reusable bags and tucked an unpurchased one at the end of the conveyor belt just in case. The cashier then asked me to look on the belt and see if there were any other cold things (that she could pack with like items). When I said there weren't, she stared at me and in a very accusatory tone said "Um, eggs are cold." Instead of arguing about my plan not to refrigerate the eggs, I just handed them to her.

She then told me that she was going to pack the chicken in a plastic bag before putting it in the reusable one. I said that was fine (although if I was one of those people who bought the bags because I was concerned with the environment I would have raised a fuss) and when she was finished she stared at me and said "Do you still want these in a reusable bag?" Well, yeah. When she filled my three previously-purchased bags and there were still some things on the belt she said "Did you want to purchase this bag?" Which bag, the one I'd gone out of my way to get and place on the belt with my stuff? Yes. AND she didn't fit all of my junk in the bags like I asked. She was such a terrible packer that I had to repack my stuff in my trunk....and I made it all fit.

Waterlight

« Reply #4735 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras.

I'll third VS doing a lousy job with measurements.  A saleslady there measured me as a 36D, although with the bras I had at home that were that size, the straps kept slipping off my shoulders  ::)  That's why I was shopping for new bras--because I'd lost 60 pounds and knew I needed bras that actually, you know, fit me!

I got re-measured at Nordstrom and it turns out I'm actually a 34DD/32F depending on the style of bra.  Yep, AFTER dropping 60 pounds :o   If there's a Nordstrom near you, I highly recommend getting re-measured there.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

IslandMama

« Reply #4736 on: September 18, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
The other horror stories people in Australia can tell about Telstra could make up a thread on their own...

Oh, don't get me started.  Let's just say that I would change ISP's now but we've had six months of trouble free service (touch wood!) and I'm hopeful its sorted for a while.  Besides, at the moment I'm on such a great deal because of involving the Ombudsman that I've got one lot of internet service for free and the other (we run it at two places on the one bill) at half price and it will stay like that for about another year.  I was having a very effective day when I decided to sort it all out.  >:D

Iris

« Reply #4737 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:42 AM »

Oh, don't get me started.  Let's just say that I would change ISP's now but we've had six months of trouble free service (touch wood!) and I'm hopeful its sorted for a while.  Besides, at the moment I'm on such a great deal because of involving the Ombudsman that I've got one lot of internet service for free and the other (we run it at two places on the one bill) at half price and it will stay like that for about another year.  I was having a very effective day when I decided to sort it all out.  >:D

I literally don't know anyone who has Telstra unless it is absolutely necessary due to coverage or business concerns. They are the pits. DH and I left them years ago and have never looked back. When we rang to cancel they were all "Why? How can we make you stay?!" and DH simply replied "You can't make us stay, your customer service has been terrible every time we've dealt with you."
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

StarFaerie

« Reply #4738 on: September 19, 2013, 05:20:29 AM »

I literally don't know anyone who has Telstra unless it is absolutely necessary due to coverage or business concerns. They are the pits. DH and I left them years ago and have never looked back. When we rang to cancel they were all "Why? How can we make you stay?!" and DH simply replied "You can't make us stay, your customer service has been terrible every time we've dealt with you."

I am with Telstra and I am very happy with them. Any problem I have had has been fixed quickly and with the minimum of trouble. They've always been polite and helpful too. I tried another provider once but when something went wrong they just kept passing the buck saying it must be a Telstra problem as they used their lines (it wasn't Telstra's issue, it was theirs) so I went back to Telstra and haven't looked back.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #4739 on: September 19, 2013, 05:27:21 AM »

I am with Telstra and I am very happy with them. Any problem I have had has been fixed quickly and with the minimum of trouble. They've always been polite and helpful too. I tried another provider once but when something went wrong they just kept passing the buck saying it must be a Telstra problem as they used their lines (it wasn't Telstra's issue, it was theirs) so I went back to Telstra and haven't looked back.

StarFaerie, this has been my experience with Telstra, too. They've been absolutely fantastic to me.

Captains Flat, Australia