Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1272400 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4740 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »
I was at Wegmans (who am I kidding, I love it there, just not this time) and I had the worst cashier EVER. She chatted with the woman in front of me forever, then when I got up to the register she scanned my items at a glacial pace. She paused and reached over to touch my phone, which was resting on the check/purse counter, and asked me if I had the app. I quickly replied that I didn't and put it in my pocket so she wouldn't pick it up.

I brought three reusable bags with me and placed them at the front of the line in front of my groceries. I realized that they might not all fit in the reusable bags and tucked an unpurchased one at the end of the conveyor belt just in case. The cashier then asked me to look on the belt and see if there were any other cold things (that she could pack with like items). When I said there weren't, she stared at me and in a very accusatory tone said "Um, eggs are cold." Instead of arguing about my plan not to refrigerate the eggs, I just handed them to her.

She then told me that she was going to pack the chicken in a plastic bag before putting it in the reusable one. I said that was fine (although if I was one of those people who bought the bags because I was concerned with the environment I would have raised a fuss) and when she was finished she stared at me and said "Do you still want these in a reusable bag?" Well, yeah. When she filled my three previously-purchased bags and there were still some things on the belt she said "Did you want to purchase this bag?" Which bag, the one I'd gone out of my way to get and place on the belt with my stuff? Yes. AND she didn't fit all of my junk in the bags like I asked. She was such a terrible packer that I had to repack my stuff in my trunk....and I made it all fit.

Is it bad that I'm picturing this cashier being like Mrs. Wiggins from the Carol Burnett skit?

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #4741 on: September 19, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
I'm not sure if she wrote me off from the beginning because I was a female dining alone (I know the stereotype about tipping -- I don't fit into that),

Of course, as an individual customer/group of customers, the stereotypes shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter if the last five customers who looked like me/fit my group demographic came in, yelled at the server, spilled my drink on the floor, and tipped badly. I am not the previous customers, and neither were you.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

earthgirl

« Reply #4742 on: September 19, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »
I'm not sure if she wrote me off from the beginning because I was a female dining alone (I know the stereotype about tipping -- I don't fit into that),

Of course, as an individual customer/group of customers, the stereotypes shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter if the last five customers who looked like me/fit my group demographic came in, yelled at the server, spilled my drink on the floor, and tipped badly. I am not the previous customers, and neither were you.

Rob

Eh, I know that, but I can't figure any other reason why I would be so largely ignored when business was slow, and she was so attentive to other tables that were right next to and across from me. 
Unfortunately, if that is the reason why I received bad service, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy for her. 

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #4743 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
I went to a big chain Italian restaurant, the one that does the unlimited soup/salad deal, for lunch one day.   

I gave them a final, final try after the incident I posted about earlier on this thread (which was similar to yours, but I was not given an opportunity to order food.) I had some $ left on the gift card they had given me, and had a craving for the soup.

They sat me (as they have every single time I eat there, single diner, with an iPad in hand with the intent on quiet reading) in the "family" section next to large parties with lots of loud children. Then the waitress seemed shocked that I might want a refill on my soup, and grudgingly brought the refill as a half-full bowl. Then she brought the check without asking if I wanted anything else, and never came back.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Hillia

« Reply #4744 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
I actually had a great experience there several years ago. DS was about 14, and going on his first date, taking a girl to the homecoming dance.  They wanted to go out to eat beforehand.  I was driving them, so I called ahead and arranged with the restaurant that our reservation would need 2 tables in separate areas, and that their check should be delivered to me.  It worked great; they were independent on their big date, I knew where they were and could keep a discreet eye on their behavior, and I made sure to tip both servers nicely.  Their server especially earned her tip; while the kids were very polite, they did keep her hopping with salad, drink and bread stick refills - two teenagers can eat a lot, especially when they're excited!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4745 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras.

I'll third VS doing a lousy job with measurements.  A saleslady there measured me as a 36D, although with the bras I had at home that were that size, the straps kept slipping off my shoulders  ::)  That's why I was shopping for new bras--because I'd lost 60 pounds and knew I needed bras that actually, you know, fit me!

I got re-measured at Nordstrom and it turns out I'm actually a 34DD/32F depending on the style of bra.  Yep, AFTER dropping 60 pounds :o   If there's a Nordstrom near you, I highly recommend getting re-measured there.

I love Nordstrom's for bras and bra fittings. Love them. Yes, expensive (so very expensive), but even just the measurement is worth it. They actually know what they're doing. My great-aunt told me to go there to get properly fitted (I'd never had a real fitting, just the one time at VS, and then just guessing myself), I resisted and she handed me a gift card so I had no excuse. I swear after I left with my shiny new bras in my appropriate size, I looked like I'd had a "little work" done. One my very best friends commented that "the girls are looking good", I told they finally had good bras to help them out!

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #4746 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »
When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras.

I'll third VS doing a lousy job with measurements.  A saleslady there measured me as a 36D, although with the bras I had at home that were that size, the straps kept slipping off my shoulders  ::)  That's why I was shopping for new bras--because I'd lost 60 pounds and knew I needed bras that actually, you know, fit me!

I got re-measured at Nordstrom and it turns out I'm actually a 34DD/32F depending on the style of bra.  Yep, AFTER dropping 60 pounds :o   If there's a Nordstrom near you, I highly recommend getting re-measured there.

I love Nordstrom's for bras and bra fittings. Love them. Yes, expensive (so very expensive), but even just the measurement is worth it. They actually know what they're doing. My great-aunt told me to go there to get properly fitted (I'd never had a real fitting, just the one time at VS, and then just guessing myself), I resisted and she handed me a gift card so I had no excuse. I swear after I left with my shiny new bras in my appropriate size, I looked like I'd had a "little work" done. One my very best friends commented that "the girls are looking good", I told they finally had good bras to help them out!

I'm totally confused about bra sizing. There are so many conflicting methods for DIY measurement that, depending on which one I go by, I'm either 32D, 34B, 30F, 34F or 30G. I'll check out Nordstrom's to get fitted properly...thanks for the recommendation!

unnalee

« Reply #4747 on: September 19, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
When we were first on our own in a new town, I once took my husband's good suit to the only dry cleaners in town in preparation for his brother's wedding.  When I came to pick it up, the woman at the counter told me that they had accidentally ruined his shirt.  She brought it out, and sure enough, there were four or five stains across the back.  When I asked what they were going to do to rectify the situation, she said that we needed to go and buy a new shirt, bring them the receipt and they'd reimburse us for the new one.

I wish I had a shinier spine back then.  Her solution put the responsibility on us: the closest store that sold men's dresswear was several towns away (a 30 minute drive one-way), which meant we wasted gas money just to go look for  a new shirt that would match the suit and tie he had.  The company that made the shirt was no longer in business, so it wouldn't be an exact match (which is what she told us we had to bring back for reimbursement).  But, he needed a shirt to wear for the wedding, so we found one that was as close to the original as we could remember.  (The drycleaner wouldn't let us take the ruined one to try to match the color.)

So, I brought the new shirt to the cleaners, started to explain that we couldn't get an exact match because the company no longer existed.  She started telling me that I was trying to cheat her.  She finally handed me some cash, but it was about $5 less than what the receipt said.  When I brought this to her attention, she told me to be happy I was getting anything. 

I just wanted to be done with her, so I requested the rest of the suit so I could be on my way.  She handed it back to me, minus the ruined shirt.  I asked where it was, and she said she was keeping it.  When I inquired what she was going to do with it (I had ideas to recycle the material), she leaned in really close to my face and sneered, "We're going to throw it away."

It was just a totally weird interaction with her.  I felt like she was basically stealing my property (the ruined shirt), refused to pay me full replacement cost for the new one, and then rubbed it in my face.  All over their mistake!  I tracked down the owner's info, but never heard back from my complaint.  I think it was a family-run business, so for all I know she was the owner's wife/sister/daughter/whatever.  We never went back to that cleaners or the attached laundromat, and we lived in that town for another 8 years.

flowersintheattic

« Reply #4748 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »

I'm totally confused about bra sizing. There are so many conflicting methods for DIY measurement that, depending on which one I go by, I'm either 32D, 34B, 30F, 34F or 30G. I'll check out Nordstrom's to get fitted properly...thanks for the recommendation!

If there's a Soma in your area, they're great with bra fittings, too, at least in my experience. The nice thing about them is they work as a personal bra shopper for you - check what type of bra you're looking for, help you pick some out, and then check the fit when you try them on. They also have frequent sales and specials.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4749 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »

You and me both.  My bff and I were just talking about it earlier today actually.  She's taller and curvier than I in most ways but is not very well endowed up top and well, neither am I.  We both laughed when we found out we wear the same bra size (36B) I used to wear a 34B but with time I found that the strap was too tight and the cups were too small, but a 36C was way too big and even with a 36B I can't quite fill the cups properly.  And to my knowledge, a 36A doesn't exist.

But neither of us feel like going anywhere that will size you professionally cause then you feel pressured to buy a bra from them and those places are usually more pricey and we agreed it would be worth it if we were bigger and needed support but we probably could get away without wearing one at all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4750 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
 I think 34A or even 34AA patterns are available at Bramaker.com - with kits of fabric, elastic, hook & eye tape, etc.  If anyone wants to start sewing their own.  I even know where to find the stretch satin on line that is identical to that of the stuff used in VS lingerie (not all sellers will tell you where they got their fabric - but sometimes after looking in the Victoria's Secret window, I go search the "latest" color to see if it resembles anything on sale).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Petticoats

« Reply #4751 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
And to my knowledge, a 36A doesn't exist.

That's what I wear, actually. Before I got so overweight, I was a "nearly A," which is not common either. Google "Playtex bra 36A."

Shalamar

« Reply #4752 on: September 19, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
unnalee , your drycleaner experience sounds a lot like an experience I had with our housecleaners a few years ago.  (Apologies if I've told this story before.)  They broke my makeup mirror, which was a pretty nice one that lit up.  I called the company to report the damage, and at first the cleaners tried to deny it ("It was broken when we got there!".  Um, I don't think so.  I'd used it that morning before I left for work, and it was fine).   Then they grudgingly admitted that they "might" have broken it, and they'd pay for a replacement.  I found another mirror that wasn't at all like my old one, but it was at least a light-up makeup mirror.   They accused me of buying the most expensive one I could find, which wasn't true - it was somewhere in the middle, price-wise.  Then they tried to weasle out of paying for the replacement.  Then they offered half of the replacement cost and got very huffy when I insisted on the full amount.  The final straw was when they insisted on being allowed to keep the broken one (what on earth for?).  I have to admit that I lied and said that I'd already thrown it out.  (I hadn't, although I was going to.  I was darned if I'd let them have it.)

wheeitsme

« Reply #4753 on: September 20, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »

And to my knowledge, a 36A doesn't exist.

I know that 36A at least used to exist, because when I was thinner (and I will be again  ;) ) that's the size I wore. 

Hard to find.  But it exists.

And I just checked online.  Maidenform-wire free.  That's the kind I prefer, and they have 36A.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:36:01 PM by wheeitsme »

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4754 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »
The owners of my favourite patchwork store are a bit concerned at the moment, because the newest branch of a large chain craft/fabric store (Lincraft) just opened up near them. Well, I'll probably keep going there for things the independent store doesn't stock, but otherwise they've nothing to worry about.  ::)

I went there yesterday for a quiet browse while the Good Ethnic Boy was getting some other stuff nearby, and the woman who 'helped' me seemed determined to be UNhelpful!

Me: "Could I get this pattern?" *hands over number*
Her: "Yeah, uh, okay..." *looks in various drawers, very perfunctorily* "We don't have it." *stares at me without saying anything more*
Me: "...well, can you order it in?"
Her: "I don't know." *stares*
Me: "......can you find out?" >:(
Her: "Uh, well, if it's not in our books" *gestures at patterns table* "we can't get it."
Me: "It IS in the books! I checked there first."
Her: "Oh! Is it? I'll go ask our manager..."
She wandered off for a few minutes, then came back, looked in a drawer she'd already checked, and pulled out a pattern.
Her: "Here it is! Dunno why I couldn't find it before!"
Me: *thinking* Maybe because you were obviously not trying? ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"