Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 975249 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4755 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras.

I'll third VS doing a lousy job with measurements.  A saleslady there measured me as a 36D, although with the bras I had at home that were that size, the straps kept slipping off my shoulders  ::)  That's why I was shopping for new bras--because I'd lost 60 pounds and knew I needed bras that actually, you know, fit me!

I got re-measured at Nordstrom and it turns out I'm actually a 34DD/32F depending on the style of bra.  Yep, AFTER dropping 60 pounds :o   If there's a Nordstrom near you, I highly recommend getting re-measured there.

I love Nordstrom's for bras and bra fittings. Love them. Yes, expensive (so very expensive), but even just the measurement is worth it. They actually know what they're doing. My great-aunt told me to go there to get properly fitted (I'd never had a real fitting, just the one time at VS, and then just guessing myself), I resisted and she handed me a gift card so I had no excuse. I swear after I left with my shiny new bras in my appropriate size, I looked like I'd had a "little work" done. One my very best friends commented that "the girls are looking good", I told they finally had good bras to help them out!

I'm totally confused about bra sizing. There are so many conflicting methods for DIY measurement that, depending on which one I go by, I'm either 32D, 34B, 30F, 34F or 30G. I'll check out Nordstrom's to get fitted properly...thanks for the recommendation!

You and me both.  My bff and I were just talking about it earlier today actually.  She's taller and curvier than I in most ways but is not very well endowed up top and well, neither am I.  We both laughed when we found out we wear the same bra size (36B) I used to wear a 34B but with time I found that the strap was too tight and the cups were too small, but a 36C was way too big and even with a 36B I can't quite fill the cups properly.  And to my knowledge, a 36A doesn't exist.

But neither of us feel like going anywhere that will size you professionally cause then you feel pressured to buy a bra from them and those places are usually more pricey and we agreed it would be worth it if we were bigger and needed support but we probably could get away without wearing one at all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4756 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
 I think 34A or even 34AA patterns are available at Bramaker.com - with kits of fabric, elastic, hook & eye tape, etc.  If anyone wants to start sewing their own.  I even know where to find the stretch satin on line that is identical to that of the stuff used in VS lingerie (not all sellers will tell you where they got their fabric - but sometimes after looking in the Victoria's Secret window, I go search the "latest" color to see if it resembles anything on sale).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Petticoats

« Reply #4757 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
And to my knowledge, a 36A doesn't exist.

That's what I wear, actually. Before I got so overweight, I was a "nearly A," which is not common either. Google "Playtex bra 36A."

Shalamar

« Reply #4758 on: September 19, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
unnalee , your drycleaner experience sounds a lot like an experience I had with our housecleaners a few years ago.  (Apologies if I've told this story before.)  They broke my makeup mirror, which was a pretty nice one that lit up.  I called the company to report the damage, and at first the cleaners tried to deny it ("It was broken when we got there!".  Um, I don't think so.  I'd used it that morning before I left for work, and it was fine).   Then they grudgingly admitted that they "might" have broken it, and they'd pay for a replacement.  I found another mirror that wasn't at all like my old one, but it was at least a light-up makeup mirror.   They accused me of buying the most expensive one I could find, which wasn't true - it was somewhere in the middle, price-wise.  Then they tried to weasle out of paying for the replacement.  Then they offered half of the replacement cost and got very huffy when I insisted on the full amount.  The final straw was when they insisted on being allowed to keep the broken one (what on earth for?).  I have to admit that I lied and said that I'd already thrown it out.  (I hadn't, although I was going to.  I was darned if I'd let them have it.)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4759 on: September 19, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
I actually had a great experience there several years ago. DS was about 14, and going on his first date, taking a girl to the homecoming dance.  They wanted to go out to eat beforehand.  I was driving them, so I called ahead and arranged with the restaurant that our reservation would need 2 tables in separate areas, and that their check should be delivered to me.  It worked great; they were independent on their big date, I knew where they were and could keep a discreet eye on their behavior, and I made sure to tip both servers nicely.  Their server especially earned her tip; while the kids were very polite, they did keep her hopping with salad, drink and bread stick refills - two teenagers can eat a lot, especially when they're excited!

I had the opposite experience in that situation. My prom date had made reservations for us there well in advance. The restaurant told him "yes,  we accept reservations" and "okay, we have you down on such an such date and time, two people, see you then." He called the day of the prom to double check the reservations and was told "We don't take reservations ever. So-and-so should not have done that when you called. We don't have any for you. Sorry!" My date's mom told me at their house, when he walked out of the room for a second, "Here's what happened, just a heads up....I hope you like Other Restaurant. He finally got reservations there after calling around. He was in such a panic after getting screwed over by the first place." 

wheeitsme

« Reply #4760 on: September 20, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
When watching professional bra measurements on TV, many women with good sized chests seem to be DD or above, yet that size seems so rare in the store unless the band size is large.  Most women seem to have too large band coupled with too small cup. 

I have heard from others that in general VS doesn't do a good job with bra measurements.  I would love to get one from a high quality store once I get out of nursing bras.

I'll third VS doing a lousy job with measurements.  A saleslady there measured me as a 36D, although with the bras I had at home that were that size, the straps kept slipping off my shoulders  ::)  That's why I was shopping for new bras--because I'd lost 60 pounds and knew I needed bras that actually, you know, fit me!

I got re-measured at Nordstrom and it turns out I'm actually a 34DD/32F depending on the style of bra.  Yep, AFTER dropping 60 pounds :o   If there's a Nordstrom near you, I highly recommend getting re-measured there.

I love Nordstrom's for bras and bra fittings. Love them. Yes, expensive (so very expensive), but even just the measurement is worth it. They actually know what they're doing. My great-aunt told me to go there to get properly fitted (I'd never had a real fitting, just the one time at VS, and then just guessing myself), I resisted and she handed me a gift card so I had no excuse. I swear after I left with my shiny new bras in my appropriate size, I looked like I'd had a "little work" done. One my very best friends commented that "the girls are looking good", I told they finally had good bras to help them out!

And to my knowledge, a 36A doesn't exist.

I know that 36A at least used to exist, because when I was thinner (and I will be again  ;) ) that's the size I wore. 

Hard to find.  But it exists.

And I just checked online.  Maidenform-wire free.  That's the kind I prefer, and they have 36A.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:36:01 PM by wheeitsme »

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4761 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »
The owners of my favourite patchwork store are a bit concerned at the moment, because the newest branch of a large chain craft/fabric store (Lincraft) just opened up near them. Well, I'll probably keep going there for things the independent store doesn't stock, but otherwise they've nothing to worry about.  ::)

I went there yesterday for a quiet browse while the Good Ethnic Boy was getting some other stuff nearby, and the woman who 'helped' me seemed determined to be UNhelpful!

Me: "Could I get this pattern?" *hands over number*
Her: "Yeah, uh, okay..." *looks in various drawers, very perfunctorily* "We don't have it." *stares at me without saying anything more*
Me: "...well, can you order it in?"
Her: "I don't know." *stares*
Me: "......can you find out?" >:(
Her: "Uh, well, if it's not in our books" *gestures at patterns table* "we can't get it."
Me: "It IS in the books! I checked there first."
Her: "Oh! Is it? I'll go ask our manager..."
She wandered off for a few minutes, then came back, looked in a drawer she'd already checked, and pulled out a pattern.
Her: "Here it is! Dunno why I couldn't find it before!"
Me: *thinking* Maybe because you were obviously not trying? ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

gmatoy

« Reply #4762 on: September 21, 2013, 02:09:25 AM »
Ah, yes, the two fabric stores near me are totally different. In one, I often find, after I get home, that the fabric is cut so far off grain that I can not use it for my project. Latest snafu? I bought organza and asked them to tear, not cut, it. They can't. Company policy.

Okay, but the other store will tear it. So, since they are walking distance apart from each other, guess where I'll be going from now on? Hurray for Hancock's Fabrics!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4763 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:22 AM »
Not a shop, and I guess I won't be leaving because I haven't found anything better, but Goodreads' latest change in policy - and how they went about it - has made me furious.

It has always been the policy that reviews were the property of the reviewers, and though GR might hide them, they'd never delete them. Similarly the bookshelves people chose could be freely named, and if some author didn't like seeing their book being put on a "badly-behaving-author" shelf... Well, then they shouldn't have behaved badly in the first place.

Not so any longer. Yesterday an anouncement was made that from now on reviews and shelves focusing only on the author and not on the book would be deleted. I have serious problems with this.
1) The anouncement was only made in the Feedback group, people who don't read that won't know why their reviews and shelves are suddenly disappearing.
2) This smacks of censorship. If an author spams 1-star reviews or stalks readers, I want to know! I don't want to reward such people by buying their books.
3) The anouncement was made on a Friday - GR staff never works on weekends, so they basically threw a bombshell and ran.
4) The decision of which shelves to delete is completely biased. On user has "immature-author" deleted, but "cool-author" remains. Another lost "badly-behaving-author" but "beautifully-behaving-author remains.

Finally - and this is the issue that is making people leave...
5) The deletions happen without warning! No chance to rename shelves or rewrite reviews is given - they're just deleted and people receive an email saying "Your review of x book was deleted" after the fact... Making it completely pointless, as they have no chance of storing the review off-site or saving all the comments!

I realize their house, their rules, so had the anouncement just been to warn of a rule change coming up in a week or two, to allow people to make the necessary changes to adapt to the new TOS, I would still have been annoyed by a site for readers catering to authors, but I' have shrugged and moved on, but this deleting reviews for not adherring to the TOS 20 minutes after the TOS changed is beyond the pale.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

BB-VA

« Reply #4764 on: September 21, 2013, 08:04:47 AM »
Ah, yes, the two fabric stores near me are totally different. In one, I often find, after I get home, that the fabric is cut so far off grain that I can not use it for my project. Latest snafu? I bought organza and asked them to tear, not cut, it. They can't. Company policy.

Okay, but the other store will tear it. So, since they are walking distance apart from each other, guess where I'll be going from now on? Hurray for Hancock's Fabrics!

I once worked at a finishing plant for woven textiles and at certain points in processing samples had to be removed from a piece of fabric.    The company REQUIRED employees to tear rather than cut fabric.   They were allowed to use scissors to start the tear but tearing was required due to the "skew" that would be caused in processing if the end of the fabric was not straight.

I saw this demostrated by a sample piece of fabric we got from another factory after the samples had been cut rather than torn.  That plant manager allowed cutting because unprocessed corduroy and velveteen are pretty tough and do take a bit of strength to tear.    It looked like a kite, it was so skewed.   Multiply that by thousands of yards and you might understand why that plant manager was eventually fired (maybe this should be in the PD thread too).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4765 on: September 21, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »

I once worked at a finishing plant for woven textiles and at certain points in processing samples had to be removed from a piece of fabric.    The company REQUIRED employees to tear rather than cut fabric.   They were allowed to use scissors to start the tear but tearing was required due to the "skew" that would be caused in processing if the end of the fabric was not straight.

I saw this demostrated by a sample piece of fabric we got from another factory after the samples had been cut rather than torn.  That plant manager allowed cutting because unprocessed corduroy and velveteen are pretty tough and do take a bit of strength to tear.    It looked like a kite, it was so skewed.   Multiply that by thousands of yards and you might understand why that plant manager was eventually fired (maybe this should be in the PD thread too).

For those who don't sew - fabric that is cut & sewn into a garment "off grain" is going to hang oddly.  Usually this ranges from "not the best idea" to "really, really bad idea" - because a twisted garment is going to fight to hang the way it wants instead of the way it is supposed to hang.

I've seen a "plain straight skirt" that tried to hang as if it were twisted like the diagonal stripes on a peppermint stick...it had not been cut to be a spiral skirt - so the twist made it at least a size too small for the person trying to wear it.  They had no idea WHY it didn't fit (and it had been bought not made by them - probably why the skirt was on the clearance rack was because it didn't fit correctly).

Very rarely, it might "work" - but only if the fabric is only about 1% to 2% off grain (there are a very, very few fabrics that work just as well when cut slightly off true grain - off hand, I can't think of any that work "better" cut off grain). 

Woodworkers - think trying to force a warping board back to shape.  It's more work than it's worth! 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:01:06 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hillia

« Reply #4766 on: September 21, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
ON a nostalgic note, who remembers the days when every fabric counter had a little machine that the fabric was fed though?  As you pulled it through, the machine measured it, and at the preset stopping point, made a little notch in the fabric so it could be torn at that point. 

My grandmother hated her fabric to be torn - she felt it was more likely to go off-grain than if it was cut.  Every time I hear someone tearing fabric in a store I hear my grandma shrieking in outrage! :-)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jocelyn

« Reply #4767 on: September 21, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
ON a nostalgic note, who remembers the days when every fabric counter had a little machine that the fabric was fed though?  As you pulled it through, the machine measured it, and at the preset stopping point, made a little notch in the fabric so it could be torn at that point. 

My grandmother hated her fabric to be torn - she felt it was more likely to go off-grain than if it was cut.  Every time I hear someone tearing fabric in a store I hear my grandma shrieking in outrage! :-)
Your poor grandmother. She observed correctly, that tearing fabric will sometimes result in a twisted edge...but she concluded incorrectly that the tearing was causing the problem. In truth, tearing was revealing that in the processing between the weaving and the putting the fabric on the bolt, it had become twisted, then pressed into  shape. Fabric is nearly always woven straight on grain in the greige goods, and any warping or twisting occurs in the printing and processing.
And if you've ever wondered why garment turn themselves inside-out when you take them off, or in the wash? It's because they are NOT turning themselves inside out- it's that we WEAR them inside out! The garment remembers how it was sewed together, and is trying to turn itself back to the orientation in which it was sewn. Garments that have the seam on the outside are much less likely to turn themselves (unless they're jeans, which turn because they're tight!)

BB-VA

« Reply #4768 on: September 21, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »

Your poor grandmother. She observed correctly, that tearing fabric will sometimes result in a twisted edge...but she concluded incorrectly that the tearing was causing the problem. In truth, tearing was revealing that in the processing between the weaving and the putting the fabric on the bolt, it had become twisted, then pressed into  shape. Fabric is nearly always woven straight on grain in the greige goods, and any warping or twisting occurs in the printing and processing.
And if you've ever wondered why garment turn themselves inside-out when you take them off, or in the wash? It's because they are NOT turning themselves inside out- it's that we WEAR them inside out! The garment remembers how it was sewed together, and is trying to turn itself back to the orientation in which it was sewn. Garments that have the seam on the outside are much less likely to turn themselves (unless they're jeans, which turn because they're tight!)

Exactly!!!   In the scenario I described  (the plant manager who allowed cutting), each time the fabric was cut off-grain, and then resewed for processing, the skew got worse and worse.  The piece I described (if I remember correctly - it's been a long time) was off grain by 15 inches.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4769 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
I am so glad I learned how to tell if fabric is off grain and how to pull it back. Have had to do it many times. I usually buy an extra 1/4 to 1/3 yard of woven fabric in case it's off.