Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1094359 times)

gmatoy

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4770 on: September 21, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »

I once worked at a finishing plant for woven textiles and at certain points in processing samples had to be removed from a piece of fabric.    The company REQUIRED employees to tear rather than cut fabric.   They were allowed to use scissors to start the tear but tearing was required due to the "skew" that would be caused in processing if the end of the fabric was not straight.

I saw this demostrated by a sample piece of fabric we got from another factory after the samples had been cut rather than torn.  That plant manager allowed cutting because unprocessed corduroy and velveteen are pretty tough and do take a bit of strength to tear.    It looked like a kite, it was so skewed.   Multiply that by thousands of yards and you might understand why that plant manager was eventually fired (maybe this should be in the PD thread too).

For those who don't sew - fabric that is cut & sewn into a garment "off grain" is going to hang oddly.  Usually this ranges from "not the best idea" to "really, really bad idea" - because a twisted garment is going to fight to hang the way it wants instead of the way it is supposed to hang.

I've seen a "plain straight skirt" that tried to hang as if it were twisted like the diagonal stripes on a peppermint stick...it had not bee cut to be a spiral skirt - so the twist made it at least a size too small for the person trying to wear it.  They had no idea WHY it didn't fit (and it had been bought not made by them - probably why the skirt was on the clearance rack was because it didn't fit correctly).

Very rarely, it might "work" - but only if the fabric is about 1% to 2% off grain (there are a very, very few fabrics that work just as well when cut slightly off true grain - off hand, I can't think of any that work "better" cut off grain). 

Woodworkers - think trying to force a warping board back to shape.  It's more work than it's worth!
Thanks to both of you for explaining why this makes such a difference! Sometimes you are so involved in telling your story that you miss some of the details! Again, thank you!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4771 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »
ON a nostalgic note, who remembers the days when every fabric counter had a little machine that the fabric was fed though?  As you pulled it through, the machine measured it, and at the preset stopping point, made a little notch in the fabric so it could be torn at that point. 

My grandmother hated her fabric to be torn - she felt it was more likely to go off-grain than if it was cut.  Every time I hear someone tearing fabric in a store I hear my grandma shrieking in outrage! :-)
I remember those machines.  They'd give you about 37-38 inches of fabric in a nominal yard (36 inches, for our metric people).  That's probably why you don't see them any more.  ;)
And the grandmother shrieking reminded me of a story from very early in my marriage.  If you've ever worked with velvet, you know that the only way to get a really straight line is to tear it.  I'd bought velvet for I think $5/yard.  (Ordinary cotton calico was about 50 cents/yd, so you can see that it wasn't cheap.)  And when I started working with it and ripped it, I thought DH was going to levitate right through the ceiling.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?"  ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

gmatoy

« Reply #4772 on: September 21, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
Ah, my DH knows that I know what I'm doing with fabrics and never says a word!

Kaymyth

« Reply #4773 on: September 22, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »
Well, I dropped our local cable company for high-speed Internet service a couple of weeks ago.

I do work from home which means I need a reliable connection. For the past few months the service from this local cable company has gone from okay to horrible. Every few weeks the signal to our modem would drop off. It would start out as a drop for a couple of minutes. Then it became 20-30 minutes. Then it would be out for a couple of hours.

Call the cable company and they would check the connection from their end. The typical answer was that they could not see our modem. They will have a technician come out in 7-8 days. Thank you for calling, click. No troubleshooting, no trying to fix the problem over the phone. Wait a week for the technician to come.  >:( That is not acceptable for my business nor my personal needs.

Well, this problem was one that would come and go. We could be down several hours or a couple of days. But, by the time the technician arrived (7-8 days later), the problem had cleared itself. The technician would check the modem, check the lines, and say everything is cleared up. He leaves. Three to four weeks later, this scenario repeats itself.

When it happened the third time, I figured nothing was going to change. After being told the technician would be out in 7-8 days, thank you for calling, click, I decided enough was enough. I called the local phone company and set-up a DSL account. Within two days, I had the DSL service up and running. It is a slower service, but it is at least reliable and they provide good technical support.

I took the modem back to the cable company and closed the high-speed internet account. The ironic thing? The cable company did not cancel the technician visit. So, days after I had canceled the service, the technician arrives to check things out.

I had this exact problem some years ago when I was stuck with Comcast.  The problem turned out to be an extremely variable signal on their end; basically, the signal strength would wobble up and down and all over the map because they didn't actually care enough about the region to bother to fix the lines.  Signal strength on a cable modem is tricky; the actual cable TV can handle a much larger range than the modem can.  Go too high, drop too low, whoops, it's out.

I finally got a cable guy to leave me a set of splitters with different signal cuts on them.  When the signal would shoot too high, I'd put it on the larger signal cut splitter.  When it'd drop too low, I'd switch back to the smaller.  It was annoying, but it kept me in internet until I moved out of that place.

perpetua

« Reply #4774 on: September 22, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
With apologies for length: anyone who gets through this in one piece gets a cookie - Currys/PC World (well, I probably will, but I'm not happy with them) and more specifically, their repair/tech service, KnowHow. Also, Acer, because their goods are obviously really shoddily made.

In February I bought an 11.6 inch Acer laptop. Lovely little thing, which I picked especially because it was small and light and easy for me to carry around in a backpack on my crutches. Within two weeks it became stuck in repair mode on boot up, and on Windows 8 there's apparently no way to get out of that. Take it back, exchange it for another. Three weeks later, *that* one develops a fault where if you move the screen at all, it powers off. Take it back again. They try to insist it goes in for repair; since I haven't had enough time since the last one to get much personal stuff on there, I say no, this is the second that's gone wrong, exchange it please. Finally they do. A couple of months later, the *third* Acer develops a problem with either the power supply or the port that the power supply goes into, because it won't recognise it's plugged into the mains. The battery runs down and, of course, it won't charge or boot.

So I call PC World's tech support/repair service, KnowHow. The first tech I speak to tells me I need to "change the fuse in the plug". But it's a sealed unit, I say. It isn't a problem with the plug. Besides, I have an old power supply left over from one of the other two Acers that got exchanged, and that doesn't work either. It's obviously a problem with the connection on the motherboard or the socket. He keeps insisting the fuse needs to be changed. I finally ask to be put through to someone else, said someone else agrees it sounds like a motherboard or power supply issue, and arranges to collect it for repair.

The next day, the collections people turn up and try to take my laptop away without giving me proof of collection. No, says I. I insist you leave me with *something* to show you've collected it. So he has to go back to the van to write out another 'stock in transit' form, because all three copies of the triplicate are used within the organisation.

Laptop is due to be returned a week later, on the Thursday. I call and inform them that I'll be out that day, and could it be delivered back to me on Friday instead? No problem, we'll put the request through. Later that day, I check the tracker; it's still showing Thursday. I call back, and they insist the request for Friday has been put through and the tracker just hasn't updated yet. But please be assured you *will* receive it on Friday. Fine, thank you very much.

Friday morning, I log into the tracker to check the time of delivery, and discover it's not being delivered till Saturday. Not happy, I call them back, explain, and they say the vans have already left for the day and they can't get it out to me Friday. OK, fine. It's only an extra day and I've got my old iMac, no biggie.

Saturday morning, I'm sitting in my living room and I hear some rattling of the mailbox on the external door to the flats. I rush out to the front door just in time to see the PC World delivery men disappearing down the steps back to the van. I call after them. You didn't ring the bell, I said. "We rang the top one", he said. The one clearly labelled Flat D. But I'm Flat A, the bottom one, I say. Like on the paperwork? Oh yeah. Sorry, they say. Disaster averted, I sign for my laptop.

I go back into the living room, excitedly unwrap my repaired laptop, boot it up, and my login is gone. They've FORMATTED THE HARD DRIVE. For a power supply issue. I call them back. Admittedly, I am furious, and not my most polite. "You were warned about data loss" they say. "But why did they even do this, when the issue was the power supply?!" I say. "Well the tech thought it was running a bit slow, and we have to return it to you in usable condition". All my data is gone. All my apps, everything. Thankfully I have backups of some things, but not all, because this all happened in a hurry and since the darned thing wouldn't boot, I couldn't do a full backup before I sent it in. All my old emails, for example: gone. And it's not Outlook, so no handy .pst file. I ask about data recovery. "If you want to do that, you'll have to take it back to the store, and they'll charge you for it", they say. "But this is your fault", I say. "We're not liable. You were warned about data loss", they say. Yes, IF the original problem was something to do with the hard drive, maybe?!?! This goes around for half an hour until I hang up, frustrated.

I then think "Better plug it in, battery's a bit low". I plug the power supply in and - you know where this is going, right? Not recognised. The tech hadn't even *looked* at the original problem, let alone fixed it.

So, my laptop is wiped, for no reason, and still broken.

Eventually, I get through to the support line. We can pick it up for another repair on Thursday, they said. Not really acceptable, I said. You've already had it a week, not fixed the original problem, wiped my hard drive for no reason, and returned it a day late. Please collect it today. We can't do that.

Eventually I got so p1ssed off with the situation that rather than go through KnowHow again, I marched it back into the store and asked them to exchange it for another brand, which to their credit, they did, even though it was out of the exchange time period. I now have an HP, which I hope will not break three times in six months. But all my data is still gone.

You couldn't make it up, could you?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:15:16 AM by perpetua »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4775 on: September 22, 2013, 10:04:04 AM »
With apologies for length: anyone who gets through this in one piece gets a cookie - Currys/PC World (well, I probably will, but I'm not happy with them) and more specifically, their repair/tech service, KnowHow. Also, Acer, because their goods are obviously really shoddily made.

In February I bought an 11.6 inch Acer laptop. Lovely little thing, which I picked especially because it was small and light and easy for me to carry around in a backpack on my crutches. Within two weeks it became stuck in repair mode on boot up, and on Windows 8 there's apparently no way to get out of that. Take it back, exchange it for another. Three weeks later, *that* one develops a fault where if you move the screen at all, it powers off. Take it back again. They try to insist it goes in for repair; since I haven't had enough time since the last one to get much personal stuff on there, I say no, this is the second that's gone wrong, exchange it please. Finally they do. A couple of months later, the *third* Acer develops a problem with either the power supply or the port that the power supply goes into, because it won't recognise it's plugged into the mains. The battery runs down and, of course, it won't charge or boot.

So I call PC World's tech support/repair service, KnowHow. The first tech I speak to tells me I need to "change the fuse in the plug". But it's a sealed unit, I say. It isn't a problem with the plug. Besides, I have an old power supply left over from one of the other two Acers that got exchanged, and that doesn't work either. It's obviously a problem with the connection on the motherboard or the socket. He keeps insisting the fuse needs to be changed. I finally ask to be put through to someone else, said someone else agrees it sounds like a motherboard or power supply issue, and arranges to collect it for repair.

The next day, the collections people turn up and try to take my laptop away without giving me proof of collection. No, says I. I insist you leave me with *something* to show you've collected it. So he has to go back to the van to write out another 'stock in transit' form, because all three copies of the triplicate are used within the organisation.

Laptop is due to be returned a week later, on the Thursday. I call and inform them that I'll be out that day, and could it be delivered back to me on Friday instead? No problem, we'll put the request through. Later that day, I check the tracker; it's still showing Thursday. I call back, and they insist the request for Friday has been put through and the tracker just hasn't updated yet. But please be assured you *will* receive it on Friday. Fine, thank you very much.

Friday morning, I log into the tracker to check the time of delivery, and discover it's not being delivered till Saturday. Not happy, I call them back, explain, and they say the vans have already left for the day and they can't get it out to me Friday. OK, fine. It's only an extra day and I've got my old iMac, no biggie.

Saturday morning, I'm sitting in my living room and I hear some rattling of the mailbox on the external door to the flats. I rush out to the front door just in time to see the PC World delivery men disappearing down the steps back to the van. I call after them. You didn't ring the bell, I said. "We rang the top one", he said. The one clearly labelled Flat D. But I'm Flat A, the bottom one, I say. Like on the paperwork? Oh yeah. Sorry, they say. Disaster averted, I sign for my laptop.

I go back into the living room, excitedly unwrap my repaired laptop, boot it up, and my login is gone. They've FORMATTED THE HARD DRIVE. For a power supply issue. I call them back. Admittedly, I am furious, and not my most polite. "You were warned about data loss" they say. "But why did they even do this, when the issue was the power supply?!" I say. "Well the tech thought it was running a bit slow, and we have to return it to you in usable condition". All my data is gone. All my apps, everything. Thankfully I have backups of some things, but not all, because this all happened in a hurry and since the darned thing wouldn't boot, I couldn't do a full backup before I sent it in. All my old emails, for example: gone. And it's not Outlook, so no handy .pst file. I ask about data recovery. "If you want to do that, you'll have to take it back to the store, and they'll charge you for it", they say. "But this is your fault", I say. "We're not liable. You were warned about data loss", they say. Yes, IF the original problem was something to do with the hard drive, maybe?!?! This goes around for half an hour until I hang up, frustrated.

I then think "Better plug it in, battery's a bit low". I plug the power supply in and - you know where this is going, right? Not recognised. The tech hadn't even *looked* at the original problem, let alone fixed it.

So, my laptop is wiped, for no reason, and still broken.

Eventually, I get through to the support line. We can pick it up for another repair on Thursday, they said. Not really acceptable, I said. You've already had it a week, not fixed the original problem, wiped my hard drive for no reason, and returned it a day late. Please collect it today. We can't do that.

Eventually I got so p1ssed off with the situation that rather than go through KnowHow again, I marched it back into the store and asked them to exchange it for another brand, which to their credit, they did, even though it was out of the exchange time period. I now have an HP, which I hope will not break three times in six months. But all my data is still gone.

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Wow. You have infinitely more patience than I would have every had. after the second time, I would have done what you did in the end. that's just crazy.

I will say, I have a 3+ year old HP laptop which is still chugging away, and I've had absolutely no issues with it. None at all. So hopefully yours will behave as well.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4776 on: September 22, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »
Mom has an Acer laptop that she travels with - it runs Vista, so it's "older".  It's been maxed out on the RAM about two years ago.  The problem NOW is that one hinge fails because the laptop got dropped and part of the base is broken.

The parts are available on eBay to fix it for around $40 or $65 (depending on which vendor and whether you get just the one part or the whole base of the laptop & do some Frankenstein-style engineering).  Frankenstein-style engineering is easier as you don't have to take the laptop apart into nearly as many small pieces...  Taking it apart into smaller pieces is cheaper for the parts - but takes a lot more time.

I am not telling my mother to just wipe it or hook it up to an external monitor instead of using it as a laptop.  It's her money, her data, and her decision.  Well, my dad keeps chiming in with his opinions, but it's half his money.  He only uses the computer for bridge, though, so his technical opinions are a little unhelpful.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4777 on: September 22, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
And perpetua has hit on why I will never trust a box store's tech support with my computers.

A friend of mine once took her laptop to a box store for repair while her husband was deployed to a combat zone, they decided her antivirus was pirated (it wasn't) and disabled it. Between that and the gal whose laptop was STOLEN by techs working for the same chain, they will never get my repair business.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

misha412

« Reply #4778 on: September 22, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
And perpetua has hit on why I will never trust a box store's tech support with my computers.

A friend of mine once took her laptop to a box store for repair while her husband was deployed to a combat zone, they decided her antivirus was pirated (it wasn't) and disabled it. Between that and the gal whose laptop was STOLEN by techs working for the same chain, they will never get my repair business.

Ugh, big box store techs. I wouldn't trust them with a 10 mile pole.

Also, DO NOT download the software that claims it can fix a slow PC or one that has problems. A friend of Mr. M did this and basically lost everything on his PC. Mr. M is a computer tech with decades of experience and even he could not fix the problems this software did to the hard drive. He eventually had to wipe the entire drive and start all over. Just don't do it.

Snooks

« Reply #4779 on: September 22, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
Can't remember if I've mentioned this but the independent coffee shop in the next road will never get my business, at least in Starbucks they're friendly.  In there unless you're part of their inner sanctum you're not worth paying attention to, as in, they stare at you blankly as you approach the counter, don't offer any form of advice about the myriad of ways they serve their coffee and any comments on Trip Advisor are met with denials and insults from the owner.

misha412

« Reply #4780 on: September 22, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
Well, I dropped our local cable company for high-speed Internet service a couple of weeks ago.

I do work from home which means I need a reliable connection. For the past few months the service from this local cable company has gone from okay to horrible. Every few weeks the signal to our modem would drop off. It would start out as a drop for a couple of minutes. Then it became 20-30 minutes. Then it would be out for a couple of hours.

Call the cable company and they would check the connection from their end. The typical answer was that they could not see our modem. They will have a technician come out in 7-8 days. Thank you for calling, click. No troubleshooting, no trying to fix the problem over the phone. Wait a week for the technician to come.  >:( That is not acceptable for my business nor my personal needs.

Well, this problem was one that would come and go. We could be down several hours or a couple of days. But, by the time the technician arrived (7-8 days later), the problem had cleared itself. The technician would check the modem, check the lines, and say everything is cleared up. He leaves. Three to four weeks later, this scenario repeats itself.

When it happened the third time, I figured nothing was going to change. After being told the technician would be out in 7-8 days, thank you for calling, click, I decided enough was enough. I called the local phone company and set-up a DSL account. Within two days, I had the DSL service up and running. It is a slower service, but it is at least reliable and they provide good technical support.

I took the modem back to the cable company and closed the high-speed internet account. The ironic thing? The cable company did not cancel the technician visit. So, days after I had canceled the service, the technician arrives to check things out.

I had this exact problem some years ago when I was stuck with Comcast.  The problem turned out to be an extremely variable signal on their end; basically, the signal strength would wobble up and down and all over the map because they didn't actually care enough about the region to bother to fix the lines.  Signal strength on a cable modem is tricky; the actual cable TV can handle a much larger range than the modem can.  Go too high, drop too low, whoops, it's out.

I finally got a cable guy to leave me a set of splitters with different signal cuts on them.  When the signal would shoot too high, I'd put it on the larger signal cut splitter.  When it'd drop too low, I'd switch back to the smaller.  It was annoying, but it kept me in internet until I moved out of that place.

That is the exact problem. Mr. M and I are both computer geeks and figured out the problem months ago and told the cable company about it. (We live in a more rural area of the county). The cable company claimed they had "boosted" the signal, but the problem kept occurring. We even changed out modems at least three or four times. It just got to the point of being ridiculous and I was aggravated to the point of (doing something not e-hell approved).

Tia2

« Reply #4781 on: September 22, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
Can't remember if I've mentioned this but the independent coffee shop in the next road will never get my business, at least in Starbucks they're friendly.  In there unless you're part of their inner sanctum you're not worth paying attention to, as in, they stare at you blankly as you approach the counter, don't offer any form of advice about the myriad of ways they serve their coffee and any comments on Trip Advisor are met with denials and insults from the owner.

And when they go under it will be because of competition from the chains and nothing to do with their poor customer service.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4782 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
I am so glad I learned how to tell if fabric is off grain and how to pull it back. Have had to do it many times. I usually buy an extra 1/4 to 1/3 yard of woven fabric in case it's off.
My mom (the home ec teacher) taught us to always watch as the clerk cuts the fabric, for flaws or signs of twisting. It seems to be less common these days...or maybe it's because I'm buying quilting fabric, at at $11 a yard, the manufacturers know that the consumer is NOT going to put up with getting twisted fabric. It can be prevented...but in the cheaper fabrics, they just assume that price is the consideration, and consumers will be willing to buy a little more 'just in case' to be able to get the whole piece at less.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4783 on: September 22, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
  And when I started working with it and ripped it, I thought DH was going to levitate right through the ceiling.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?"  ;D
LOL! When I was in my first year of college, my mother was going to make me a coat. She'd seen this teal blue cordoroy that wasn't cut in wales, but in a sort of hexagon design, and thought that would be good. I told her I wanted camel's-hair. So we went to Cy Rudnick's (if you're from Kansas City, you know Cy) and bought camel's-hair and satin lining, and I don't remember how much it cost, but it was pricey. Mom set up her cutting table, and an hour or so later, I wandered in to see how it was going. She was still staring at the fabric, scissors in hand. She explained that she just couldn't cut into that pricey fabric, thinking about how she could ruin it if the pattern didn't fit me right. She asked me what I'd really thought about the cordoroy, if I'd wear a coat made out of it, too. I said sure. So she went and bought the cordoroy and quilted cotton lining, and made me a car-coat length coat to test the pattern, before cutting out the camel's-hair.
The funny part? The teal cordoroy coat was a guy magnet.  ::) I have had so many men ask to touch it. I think it's a combination of the unusual texture and the color. Poor men, they have so few voluptuous fabrics they can wear! And it really is nice to pet. I've never seen anything like it, in the 40+ years since then. I still have it (unfortunately, it's a bit too small for me to wear, but I have hopes!). The camel's-hair coat got hit by moths.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4784 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
The funny part? The teal cordoroy coat was a guy magnet.  ::) I have had so many men ask to touch it. I think it's a combination of the unusual texture and the color. Poor men, they have so few voluptuous fabrics they can wear!
I think that's a big draw for the SCA.  Clothes from other eras are much more lush and luxury fabrics aren't reserved exclusively for women.  A manly man can wear this:

only in midnight blue velveteen, and not be thought gay.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.