Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270508 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4770 on: September 22, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »
Mom has an Acer laptop that she travels with - it runs Vista, so it's "older".  It's been maxed out on the RAM about two years ago.  The problem NOW is that one hinge fails because the laptop got dropped and part of the base is broken.

The parts are available on eBay to fix it for around $40 or $65 (depending on which vendor and whether you get just the one part or the whole base of the laptop & do some Frankenstein-style engineering).  Frankenstein-style engineering is easier as you don't have to take the laptop apart into nearly as many small pieces...  Taking it apart into smaller pieces is cheaper for the parts - but takes a lot more time.

I am not telling my mother to just wipe it or hook it up to an external monitor instead of using it as a laptop.  It's her money, her data, and her decision.  Well, my dad keeps chiming in with his opinions, but it's half his money.  He only uses the computer for bridge, though, so his technical opinions are a little unhelpful.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4771 on: September 22, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
And perpetua has hit on why I will never trust a box store's tech support with my computers.

A friend of mine once took her laptop to a box store for repair while her husband was deployed to a combat zone, they decided her antivirus was pirated (it wasn't) and disabled it. Between that and the gal whose laptop was STOLEN by techs working for the same chain, they will never get my repair business.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

misha412

« Reply #4772 on: September 22, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
And perpetua has hit on why I will never trust a box store's tech support with my computers.

A friend of mine once took her laptop to a box store for repair while her husband was deployed to a combat zone, they decided her antivirus was pirated (it wasn't) and disabled it. Between that and the gal whose laptop was STOLEN by techs working for the same chain, they will never get my repair business.

Ugh, big box store techs. I wouldn't trust them with a 10 mile pole.

Also, DO NOT download the software that claims it can fix a slow PC or one that has problems. A friend of Mr. M did this and basically lost everything on his PC. Mr. M is a computer tech with decades of experience and even he could not fix the problems this software did to the hard drive. He eventually had to wipe the entire drive and start all over. Just don't do it.

Snooks

« Reply #4773 on: September 22, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
Can't remember if I've mentioned this but the independent coffee shop in the next road will never get my business, at least in Starbucks they're friendly.  In there unless you're part of their inner sanctum you're not worth paying attention to, as in, they stare at you blankly as you approach the counter, don't offer any form of advice about the myriad of ways they serve their coffee and any comments on Trip Advisor are met with denials and insults from the owner.

misha412

« Reply #4774 on: September 22, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
Well, I dropped our local cable company for high-speed Internet service a couple of weeks ago.

I do work from home which means I need a reliable connection. For the past few months the service from this local cable company has gone from okay to horrible. Every few weeks the signal to our modem would drop off. It would start out as a drop for a couple of minutes. Then it became 20-30 minutes. Then it would be out for a couple of hours.

Call the cable company and they would check the connection from their end. The typical answer was that they could not see our modem. They will have a technician come out in 7-8 days. Thank you for calling, click. No troubleshooting, no trying to fix the problem over the phone. Wait a week for the technician to come.  >:( That is not acceptable for my business nor my personal needs.

Well, this problem was one that would come and go. We could be down several hours or a couple of days. But, by the time the technician arrived (7-8 days later), the problem had cleared itself. The technician would check the modem, check the lines, and say everything is cleared up. He leaves. Three to four weeks later, this scenario repeats itself.

When it happened the third time, I figured nothing was going to change. After being told the technician would be out in 7-8 days, thank you for calling, click, I decided enough was enough. I called the local phone company and set-up a DSL account. Within two days, I had the DSL service up and running. It is a slower service, but it is at least reliable and they provide good technical support.

I took the modem back to the cable company and closed the high-speed internet account. The ironic thing? The cable company did not cancel the technician visit. So, days after I had canceled the service, the technician arrives to check things out.

I had this exact problem some years ago when I was stuck with Comcast.  The problem turned out to be an extremely variable signal on their end; basically, the signal strength would wobble up and down and all over the map because they didn't actually care enough about the region to bother to fix the lines.  Signal strength on a cable modem is tricky; the actual cable TV can handle a much larger range than the modem can.  Go too high, drop too low, whoops, it's out.

I finally got a cable guy to leave me a set of splitters with different signal cuts on them.  When the signal would shoot too high, I'd put it on the larger signal cut splitter.  When it'd drop too low, I'd switch back to the smaller.  It was annoying, but it kept me in internet until I moved out of that place.

That is the exact problem. Mr. M and I are both computer geeks and figured out the problem months ago and told the cable company about it. (We live in a more rural area of the county). The cable company claimed they had "boosted" the signal, but the problem kept occurring. We even changed out modems at least three or four times. It just got to the point of being ridiculous and I was aggravated to the point of (doing something not e-hell approved).

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

« Reply #4775 on: September 22, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
Can't remember if I've mentioned this but the independent coffee shop in the next road will never get my business, at least in Starbucks they're friendly.  In there unless you're part of their inner sanctum you're not worth paying attention to, as in, they stare at you blankly as you approach the counter, don't offer any form of advice about the myriad of ways they serve their coffee and any comments on Trip Advisor are met with denials and insults from the owner.

And when they go under it will be because of competition from the chains and nothing to do with their poor customer service.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4776 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
I am so glad I learned how to tell if fabric is off grain and how to pull it back. Have had to do it many times. I usually buy an extra 1/4 to 1/3 yard of woven fabric in case it's off.
My mom (the home ec teacher) taught us to always watch as the clerk cuts the fabric, for flaws or signs of twisting. It seems to be less common these days...or maybe it's because I'm buying quilting fabric, at at $11 a yard, the manufacturers know that the consumer is NOT going to put up with getting twisted fabric. It can be prevented...but in the cheaper fabrics, they just assume that price is the consideration, and consumers will be willing to buy a little more 'just in case' to be able to get the whole piece at less.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4777 on: September 22, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
  And when I started working with it and ripped it, I thought DH was going to levitate right through the ceiling.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?"  ;D
LOL! When I was in my first year of college, my mother was going to make me a coat. She'd seen this teal blue cordoroy that wasn't cut in wales, but in a sort of hexagon design, and thought that would be good. I told her I wanted camel's-hair. So we went to Cy Rudnick's (if you're from Kansas City, you know Cy) and bought camel's-hair and satin lining, and I don't remember how much it cost, but it was pricey. Mom set up her cutting table, and an hour or so later, I wandered in to see how it was going. She was still staring at the fabric, scissors in hand. She explained that she just couldn't cut into that pricey fabric, thinking about how she could ruin it if the pattern didn't fit me right. She asked me what I'd really thought about the cordoroy, if I'd wear a coat made out of it, too. I said sure. So she went and bought the cordoroy and quilted cotton lining, and made me a car-coat length coat to test the pattern, before cutting out the camel's-hair.
The funny part? The teal cordoroy coat was a guy magnet.  ::) I have had so many men ask to touch it. I think it's a combination of the unusual texture and the color. Poor men, they have so few voluptuous fabrics they can wear! And it really is nice to pet. I've never seen anything like it, in the 40+ years since then. I still have it (unfortunately, it's a bit too small for me to wear, but I have hopes!). The camel's-hair coat got hit by moths.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4778 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
The funny part? The teal cordoroy coat was a guy magnet.  ::) I have had so many men ask to touch it. I think it's a combination of the unusual texture and the color. Poor men, they have so few voluptuous fabrics they can wear!
I think that's a big draw for the SCA.  Clothes from other eras are much more lush and luxury fabrics aren't reserved exclusively for women.  A manly man can wear this:

only in midnight blue velveteen, and not be thought gay.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jocelyn

« Reply #4779 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
The funny part? The teal cordoroy coat was a guy magnet.  ::) I have had so many men ask to touch it. I think it's a combination of the unusual texture and the color. Poor men, they have so few voluptuous fabrics they can wear!
I think that's a big draw for the SCA.  Clothes from other eras are much more lush and luxury fabrics aren't reserved exclusively for women.  A manly man can wear this:

My Laurel made a salmon pink houppelande for a knight once. She asked if he was sure he wanted pink, and he pointed out it wasn't candy cotton pink, it was a manly pink.
And yes, whenever I hear parents worrying about their sons wanting to have Disney Princess stuff, I always think, 'Make him a PRINCE costume, for pity's sake! He wants the shiny, slippery, plushy fabrics, he doesn't REALLY want to be Belle.'  ::)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4780 on: September 22, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

My Laurel made a salmon pink houppelande for a knight once. She asked if he was sure he wanted pink, and he pointed out it wasn't candy cotton pink, it was a manly pink.
And yes, whenever I hear parents worrying about their sons wanting to have Disney Princess stuff, I always think, 'Make him a PRINCE costume, for pity's sake! He wants the shiny, slippery, plushy fabrics, he doesn't REALLY want to be Belle.'  ::)

And just think how many of those princesses will want to have their photo taken with the prince (not many princes around).  There are lots of super heroes?  Well, princes get bright colored fabrics and they get SWORDS, too.  Sleeping Beauty's prince got a dragon to kill - too bad most of them were more walk on parts - he had lines and action, too!

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4781 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »
Quote from: Jocelyn link=topic=83832.msg3019376#msg3019376

A friend of mine is having issues with this - her son really relly REALLY wants to be a princess for Halloween.  He actually owns some dress-up dresses, now, but her agreement with him is that he not wear them out of the house because of some of the nasty comments they get.  (He really really wanted to wear dresses to school, too, but she put her foot down on that one.)  I may suggest to her that she look into making him a bright, silky, flowy, prince costume instead :-)

Jocelyn

« Reply #4782 on: September 22, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
I may suggest to her that she look into making him a bright, silky, flowy, prince costume instead :-)

There are lots of patterns for men's and boys' costumes in commercial pattern books. It should be fairly easy to let him choose the outfit of his dreams. :)

Jones

« Reply #4783 on: September 22, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
I made my son a kilt last year, how does he feel about dressing like one of the boys in "Brave"?...just a thought :)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #4784 on: September 22, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
Grammarnerd I have two similar stories

1. We were in a local chain TexMex place. Big family meal. I complain my coke tastes funny. I'm ignored. I keep complaining. Finally my Mimmi takes a sip - about the same time the guy at the next table complains his rum and coke has no kick. Mr. Sam (the waiter) and Mary Neil (the owner) apologize figure out the Bartenders were making the drinks for both tables and there was a mix up. They changed policies so that all "plain" sodas and virgin drinks had white napkins and all mixed drinks with soda or could be mistaken for a "kids drink" had red napkins. (Mary Neil told Dad -they were did business together)

2. National chain franchise. I think I was underaged again (I've been legal 3 times due to changing laws). But my cousins were in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. We ordered Virgin Daiquiris. I run to the restroom come out the drinks and appetizer is on the table. The kids whisper they made a mistake these taste like Daddy's and Mommy's not ours.  The waitress  bartender, and Manager refuse to fix the problem. Our drinks are fine - until some collage girls complain about getting our virgin drinks. Then they remade their drinks. I paid for the served food but only the price of our virgin drinks, (wasn't trusting them not to tamper with our food) left - and called Dad and asked how to report them to the TABC. Dad called the agent in charge of the Galleria area - that place was under a microscope till they got busted serving underaged patrons. (Just hope they weren't 7 and 10 like my cousins). Never went back - they closed but so did a bunch of restaurants around there.

Not a bad customer service story, but your post reminded me of this:

Hawaii. 1987. My mother was treating my then-fiance and me to dinner on our last night there. I love pina coladas, but I was avoiding alcohol for medical reasons at the time. I ordered a virgin pina colada, and my mom ordered a regular one. I was a bit paranoid about the alcohol, so I asked the server if she was absolutely, positively sure I'd gotten the virgin one.

She said yes, and got a little giggly about not wanting to tell me *why* she was sure. Eventually she explained. The drinks came with two skinny little straws. In the spiked drink, the straws were spread apart in a V. In the virgin drink, they were straight up and together!

Topic: In 2003 I moved to a place in the country that was about 700 feet from the road. I called to arrange cable service. The tech arrived and explained that they couldn't hook me up because I was too far from the road. I showed him the box in the field that my landlords installed, that had all the connection stuff in it, and the cable hanging in the basement, ready to be connected upstairs. Nope. "Not serviceable."

A couple of weeks later my landlord shows up with some connectors from Radio Shack and hooks me up in about 15 minutes. Shortly afterward, I get a phone call from the cable company asking if my recent service call was satisfactory (well, no), then a very official-looking letter explaining why I'm "not serviceable" but if I got my neighbors together and we petitioned for service, they might be able to help.

A few months after that, I find one of those hanging cards on my doorknob telling me I have an illegal cable connection. Which I did, but I called the company and played dumb ... "Oh, dear, my landlords set this up; I assumed the bills were coming to them! Go ahead and set up an account for me." They did.

But geez, Time Warner, you're in the communications business. Why don't you actually communicate with each other?

(For the record, that's the only time I've ever had a problem with Time Warner. I've had to call them for outages several times since then, and I always get prompt attention.)
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady