Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1166423 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4860 on: October 16, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
We've had better luck at the Budget three blocks (less than a mile) from our house than the Enterprise five or six miles down the same road (from our house).  The first time Enterprise didn't have our mini-van there (we needed two vehicles with seats for six passengers to get twelve students and a driver in each vehicle - plus luggage - to summer camp).  We still had to remind them that we had requested either a luggage rack on top (with the cross bars to tied down a canvas luggage carrier) or a trailer hitch (for a rear luggage rack) on the vehicles (one or the other). 

They did have enough vehicles on hand to swap out one SUV w/o the luggage rack for a second one (not picked up yet - but no request for the additional equipment) that had it - but we had to wait for delivery of the second vehicle, as it was "down the road" at another location.  As they stayed open two hours late to process everyone in line, we didn't get too upset - because we really needed the luggage capacity the next morning at the early morning departure time (before dawn).  We had one minivan - but no cross bars and no luggage hitch - and four passengers in it (fifteen or sixteen kids going to camp, in total).

But around the third or fourth time we used them (more than once a year, on average, but less than twice a year - what with field trips, going to camp, and a personal rental or two) - it just got easier to use Budget because there was a discount with either our bank or our insurance company membership...

Just turned in a vehicle Sunday morning after a six or seven hour round trip to San Antonio over Saturday (two destinations in the area - and NOT on the same road, so there was a bit of extra driving involved).  We'll keep going there - but I miss the way that Enterprise would have the cars washed & vacuumed (if there was time between customers because Budget never seems to have time between customers).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

lilfox

« Reply #4861 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
I was lucky on my rental car reservation late one night, but I felt bad for the people behind me since I don't know what they were directed to do at 11:30 pm at the remote rental lot and all the cars were gone from the lot.  Although I had reserved a compact, by the time it was my turn, the only remaining options were minivan or gold Mustang (gee, tough call for a single grad student about to hit the highway).

Our most recent rental, through Thrifty, ended up poorly.  We made a concerted effort to top off the gas before returning it, but as is our habit, DH opted not to get the paper receipt.  Therefore, we got charged for not filling up the tank because they said they couldn't verify without the receipt (apparently there's some fine print about getting the paper receipt).  Never mind that you can just turn on the car and LOOK at the fuel gauge.  It wasn't a huge fee, just annoying to be double charged for that.

magicdomino

« Reply #4862 on: October 16, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
I was waiting at an Enterprise one morning, and found it interesting.  This particular outlet is across the street from a Ford dealership, and gets a lot of walk-in business (including Yours Truly).  That morning, I listened to the staff calling other outlets, shuffling the less-in-demand vehicles, calling a reservation-holder to see if he still wanted two vehicles, and getting in-coming cars cleaned and rented out within minutes of return.  It took about 1 1/2 hours to get the sub-compact that I requested (I had an appointment in an area with only parallel parking.), but I was rather impressed.  They really needed more than three people in that office though, since there was always one, often two, out moving cars around.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4863 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
The Enterprise closest to us is next to a really good BBQ restaurant - we waited down there while waiting for "our" vehicle to be brought from the other location. 

It is now one of the favorite BBQ places for VorGuy & I - good food, an ice cream cone dispenser next to an ice cream machine for "dessert" (included in price), all his favorite add on items on a little server yourself buffet, and good fries.  I like the older country music played on their sound system - Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, and that generation or two (50s & 60s maybe a little 70s) - although I did learn that the record version wasn't always exactly the same as the radio version when a few of the songs played....

We take my folks there because Dad likes it and it is his "favorite" music - although he jumped, too, when Johnny Cash said a word or two that he wasn't expecting (preacher - he doesn't expect "that kind of language" because very, very few people talk like that around him).  But he was really praising the BBQ....if they'd had home made peach cobbler, he might have thought that he was in taste bud heaven!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4864 on: October 17, 2013, 04:24:09 AM »
I think I've told it before but there was a Jiffy Lube I used to go to that was laid back about upselling. They'd say "have you thought about a transmission flush?" you'd say not today and they'd drop it.

Then that location closed because the city wants to widen that street and it would lose most of its property. Anyhow I tried another location. They told me mileage-wise it was time for a radiator flush. True but as I told them I'd had to have a new radiator put in not 9 months previously. They argued. I said no and crossed that location off my list.

Sunbeem

« Reply #4865 on: October 17, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »
In fact, a fertile egg could hatch after only a couple days at room temp- chicken eggs do not need warmth until the last few days out of the 21 day period.  (Source: family member who used to run a chicken hatchery- apparently the eggs would be refrigerated until about Day 18, then allowed to warm for the last few days).

Actually, without the warmth, the development never starts, that's why I can have fertile eggs in my refrigerator without worrying that I'm going to crack one open and have a half-formed chick fall out.

If this were true, nobody would ever buy eggs from me because after a couple days in the fridge there would be bloody development in all the eggs.

Maybe I misunderstood them then about the refrigeration.  I'm quite sure though that the eggs did not need actual added heat until the last few days; perhaps they were at room temperature for the prior weeks?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4866 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
In fact, a fertile egg could hatch after only a couple days at room temp- chicken eggs do not need warmth until the last few days out of the 21 day period.  (Source: family member who used to run a chicken hatchery- apparently the eggs would be refrigerated until about Day 18, then allowed to warm for the last few days).

Actually, without the warmth, the development never starts, that's why I can have fertile eggs in my refrigerator without worrying that I'm going to crack one open and have a half-formed chick fall out.

If this were true, nobody would ever buy eggs from me because after a couple days in the fridge there would be bloody development in all the eggs.

Maybe I misunderstood them then about the refrigeration.  I'm quite sure though that the eggs did not need actual added heat until the last few days; perhaps they were at room temperature for the prior weeks?
I think you've got the right idea, just a bit off on the details. Most birds will lay eggs for several days, until the female feels that she has enough; at that time she'll start sitting on the nest, so that they all develop at the same rate, rather than 1 today and 1 tomorrow and 1 the next day....  How long depends on the kind of bird, but it's usually for several weeks.  Chickens are 3 weeks, IIRC.  The first eggs to be laid don't start to develop immediately, but remain in a kind of stasis until the hen gets around to actual nesting. So it isn't that they only need heat the last few days, but that they don't need extra heat for the first few days. :)

And while refrigerating the eggs will kill any developing embryos, I still remember my mother breaking eggs into a teacup before adding them to her cake or whatever. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4867 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
Growing up, we used to get eggs from a farm down the road.  They were a little lax on the collecting and refrigerating.  Mom and I developed the habit of cracking the egg into a ramikin or something before adding it to whatever we were making.  But as far as I know, my brother was the only one who ever got an embryo.  He won't by farm fresh eggs anymore.  He'll eat them if someone else makes them so he doesn't have to see any potential embryos.

The farm where I get my eggs now is much more vigilent.  I've had a few with blood spots, one with a lot of blood spots and the rest have all been fine.  I don't generally crack them into anything else anymore.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4868 on: October 17, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
So, we have this local pizza place by my house. Only one of two locations this particular place has. The pizza is great, and I love supporting local businesses.

A few nights ago I decided I was hungry but didn't want to cook. Did I mention this pizza place has the best prices around? About 8.00 for a 12 inch with one extra topping besides the cheese. I am told it will be about 40 minutes. Unusual, but oh well, they are probably busy.

I am too optimistic for my own good. I leave the house after 35 or so minutes, and arrive at the pizza place. Tell them what I ordered, and the woman begins looking through the tickets. There is talk about how that can't find my ticket. She turns to me. "Uh, they didn't write a ticket for your order. It will be another fifteen minutes."

"Sorry, can't." I told her, and then walked out the door.

It was already late and I refuse to walk home in pitch black darkness. I actually went to bed without a meal because it was too late to eat anyway! I will go back, but I hope nothing like this ever happens again.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4869 on: October 17, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
A few nights ago I decided I was hungry but didn't want to cook. Did I mention this pizza place has the best prices around? About 8.00 for a 12 inch with one extra topping besides the cheese.

No advice or anything (except sympathies), but man, it does remind me of the one thing that makes this city tolerable.  The food is awesome.  That $8 also buys a one topping pizza from my favorite place, but it's a 16 inch.  ;D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4870 on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
A few nights ago I decided I was hungry but didn't want to cook. Did I mention this pizza place has the best prices around? About 8.00 for a 12 inch with one extra topping besides the cheese.

No advice or anything (except sympathies), but man, it does remind me of the one thing that makes this city tolerable.  The food is awesome.  That $8 also buys a one topping pizza from my favorite place, but it's a 16 inch.  ;D

Oh now you are just teasing me! That isn't fair!

Shalamar

« Reply #4871 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
Speaking of pizza, there used to be a pizza joint that was part of a fairly successful chain that was very close to my house.  One night, my husband and I were exhausted from running after our two toddlers all day, so we decided to order delivery.  We figured that the place was so close, it wouldn't take long.  The lady on the phone said our food would be delivered in approximately 45 minutes.

After an hour, we called the restaurant.  The lady was very surprised to hear that we hadn't gotten our food yet, saying "That's odd - he left ages ago.  He definitely should have been there by now."  He finally arrived about 30 minutes later.  I said "What took so long?"  He mumbled something about getting lost.  (And he didn't call anyone because ... ?) 

He told me that my total was $34.67.  I handed him two twenties and said "Keep the change" (I tend to tip no matter what, and I was so hungry, I didn't feel like messing around with change.)  He continued to stand there awkwardly.  I asked "Was there anything else?"  "Uh, it's $44.67."  "You just told me $34.67, and that's what's on the bill," I pointed out.  "Oh.  Yeah."

We never ordered from them again, and they closed that location a couple of months later.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4872 on: October 17, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
Ooooh I just remembered another one! ...Involving another pizza place. Bear with me.

So this place was a chain. I decided one night that I wanted to try their food.

Background time! When this location first opened, mom and some of her friends tried it and weren't thrilled. /end bg.

So, I order and mom and I walk up to get it. We walk in, and there's only one girl working. She's working with dough, with no gloves. She grabs my food and bags it up with her doughy hands, and then pokes at the register and takes my money, and then hands me my change, and then goes back to work on the dough.

I don't even think I ate it, and just threw it away. We never went back, and that location is now closed.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4873 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »

Oh now you are just teasing me! That isn't fair!

Full disclosure:  That price is the "carry-out" special price.  But you mentioned that's what you were doing anyway... and that's what we always do.  :)

KB

« Reply #4874 on: October 17, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
And while refrigerating the eggs will kill any developing embryos, I still remember my mother breaking eggs into a teacup before adding them to her cake or whatever.

I do that, but more because I'm concerned about including an egg that may have gone off and thus ruin the recipe up to that point than because I'm going to find myself about to have a recipe that includes a chick embryo.  :o