Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1094134 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4875 on: October 17, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
So, we have this local pizza place by my house. Only one of two locations this particular place has. The pizza is great, and I love supporting local businesses.

A few nights ago I decided I was hungry but didn't want to cook. Did I mention this pizza place has the best prices around? About 8.00 for a 12 inch with one extra topping besides the cheese. I am told it will be about 40 minutes. Unusual, but oh well, they are probably busy.

I am too optimistic for my own good. I leave the house after 35 or so minutes, and arrive at the pizza place. Tell them what I ordered, and the woman begins looking through the tickets. There is talk about how that can't find my ticket. She turns to me. "Uh, they didn't write a ticket for your order. It will be another fifteen minutes."

"Sorry, can't." I told her, and then walked out the door.

It was already late and I refuse to walk home in pitch black darkness. I actually went to bed without a meal because it was too late to eat anyway! I will go back, but I hope nothing like this ever happens again.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4876 on: October 17, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
A few nights ago I decided I was hungry but didn't want to cook. Did I mention this pizza place has the best prices around? About 8.00 for a 12 inch with one extra topping besides the cheese.

No advice or anything (except sympathies), but man, it does remind me of the one thing that makes this city tolerable.  The food is awesome.  That $8 also buys a one topping pizza from my favorite place, but it's a 16 inch.  ;D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4877 on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
A few nights ago I decided I was hungry but didn't want to cook. Did I mention this pizza place has the best prices around? About 8.00 for a 12 inch with one extra topping besides the cheese.

No advice or anything (except sympathies), but man, it does remind me of the one thing that makes this city tolerable.  The food is awesome.  That $8 also buys a one topping pizza from my favorite place, but it's a 16 inch.  ;D

Oh now you are just teasing me! That isn't fair!

Shalamar

« Reply #4878 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
Speaking of pizza, there used to be a pizza joint that was part of a fairly successful chain that was very close to my house.  One night, my husband and I were exhausted from running after our two toddlers all day, so we decided to order delivery.  We figured that the place was so close, it wouldn't take long.  The lady on the phone said our food would be delivered in approximately 45 minutes.

After an hour, we called the restaurant.  The lady was very surprised to hear that we hadn't gotten our food yet, saying "That's odd - he left ages ago.  He definitely should have been there by now."  He finally arrived about 30 minutes later.  I said "What took so long?"  He mumbled something about getting lost.  (And he didn't call anyone because ... ?) 

He told me that my total was $34.67.  I handed him two twenties and said "Keep the change" (I tend to tip no matter what, and I was so hungry, I didn't feel like messing around with change.)  He continued to stand there awkwardly.  I asked "Was there anything else?"  "Uh, it's $44.67."  "You just told me $34.67, and that's what's on the bill," I pointed out.  "Oh.  Yeah."

We never ordered from them again, and they closed that location a couple of months later.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4879 on: October 17, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
Ooooh I just remembered another one! ...Involving another pizza place. Bear with me.

So this place was a chain. I decided one night that I wanted to try their food.

Background time! When this location first opened, mom and some of her friends tried it and weren't thrilled. /end bg.

So, I order and mom and I walk up to get it. We walk in, and there's only one girl working. She's working with dough, with no gloves. She grabs my food and bags it up with her doughy hands, and then pokes at the register and takes my money, and then hands me my change, and then goes back to work on the dough.

I don't even think I ate it, and just threw it away. We never went back, and that location is now closed.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4880 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »

Oh now you are just teasing me! That isn't fair!

Full disclosure:  That price is the "carry-out" special price.  But you mentioned that's what you were doing anyway... and that's what we always do.  :)

KB

« Reply #4881 on: October 17, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
And while refrigerating the eggs will kill any developing embryos, I still remember my mother breaking eggs into a teacup before adding them to her cake or whatever.

I do that, but more because I'm concerned about including an egg that may have gone off and thus ruin the recipe up to that point than because I'm going to find myself about to have a recipe that includes a chick embryo.  :o

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #4882 on: October 17, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
Yup - we always used to do that when I was young, for precisely that reason. Then we stopped doing it, because eggs were battery and you just didn't get a bad one the way you used to. Then we all realised what battery farming actually meant and went back to free range - but we didn't all go back to cracking the eggs into a cup one at a time... And my mother promised a celebration cake for a friend, a really rich one, with twelve eggs in it.

The ninth egg was rotten. She couldn't even cook in her kitchen for 24 hours; the half made cake had to be dumped, the windows left open, the bowl not just washed but scalded...

And after that, we all tried the eggs in a cup, one at a time again!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4883 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
And while refrigerating the eggs will kill any developing embryos, I still remember my mother breaking eggs into a teacup before adding them to her cake or whatever.

I do that, but more because I'm concerned about including an egg that may have gone off and thus ruin the recipe up to that point than because I'm going to find myself about to have a recipe that includes a chick embryo.  :o

When I do that it's less a bad egg that I am worried about (never had one go off on me) and more making it easier to fish out any stray bits of shell that get in.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4884 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »
Oh, I remember one that is about 10 years old.

I took my car into Brake Ch***  for new pads. They repaired it, or so they thought. As I was leaving but still in their parking lot, I had a complete brake failure. They forgot to add brake fluid. The mechanic checking it out he left a wrench on the engine and then slammed down my hood creating a huge dent. He first tried to say the dent was already there but I opened the hood and showed him his wrench and got another customer to witness the issue.

The location manager told me I had to file my claim with corporate. I filled the claim, sent in the 3 estimates as requested and they of course chose the cheapest. And then the guy tells me they will only pay $15 a day for rental car. I say fine, you find me a rental car for $15 a day. He curses me out and tells me that it's not his *&!! job to find rental cars for lazy **$%%  b***. I tell him never mind, I'll file with my insurance company and he can deal with them.

I pay my insurance deductible, my insurance carrier picks the higher priced repair option, they pay my full rental cost and then went after Brake Ch*** to recover their cost and my deductible. I got all of my costs covered. They really should have just been reasonable on a rental car.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4885 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »

Or if you accidentally get some little pieces of shell in there.  Much easier to fish out of the little bowl than the bowl full of other ingredients.

Browyn

« Reply #4886 on: October 17, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »

Or if you accidentally get some little pieces of shell in there.  Much easier to fish out of the little bowl than the bowl full of other ingredients.

Me too!  It is  much easier to find a piece of shell in a glass custard cup then in my big mixing bowl.

magician5

« Reply #4887 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:04 AM »
Ooooh I just remembered another one! ...Involving another pizza place. Bear with me.

... ...

I don't even think I ate it, and just threw it away. We never went back, and that location is now closed.

Couldn't you at least have given the pizza to the bear? The bear that was with you?
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4888 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:11 AM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!

Cherry91

« Reply #4889 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:31 AM »
Speaking of pizza, there used to be a pizza joint that was part of a fairly successful chain that was very close to my house.  One night, my husband and I were exhausted from running after our two toddlers all day, so we decided to order delivery.  We figured that the place was so close, it wouldn't take long.  The lady on the phone said our food would be delivered in approximately 45 minutes.

After an hour, we called the restaurant.  The lady was very surprised to hear that we hadn't gotten our food yet, saying "That's odd - he left ages ago.  He definitely should have been there by now."  He finally arrived about 30 minutes later.  I said "What took so long?"  He mumbled something about getting lost.  (And he didn't call anyone because ... ?) 

He told me that my total was $34.67.  I handed him two twenties and said "Keep the change" (I tend to tip no matter what, and I was so hungry, I didn't feel like messing around with change.)  He continued to stand there awkwardly.  I asked "Was there anything else?"  "Uh, it's $44.67."  "You just told me $34.67, and that's what's on the bill," I pointed out.  "Oh.  Yeah."

We never ordered from them again, and they closed that location a couple of months later.

I'm thinking your delivery guy often liked to be in high spirits, if I may be so bold as to make a guess