Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1135575 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4890 on: October 18, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »
Ooooh I just remembered another one! ...Involving another pizza place. Bear with me.

... ...

I don't even think I ate it, and just threw it away. We never went back, and that location is now closed.

Couldn't you at least have given the pizza to the bear? The bear that was with you?

;D

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #4891 on: October 18, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Speaking of pizza, there used to be a pizza joint that was part of a fairly successful chain that was very close to my house.  One night, my husband and I were exhausted from running after our two toddlers all day, so we decided to order delivery.  We figured that the place was so close, it wouldn't take long.  The lady on the phone said our food would be delivered in approximately 45 minutes.

After an hour, we called the restaurant.  The lady was very surprised to hear that we hadn't gotten our food yet, saying "That's odd - he left ages ago.  He definitely should have been there by now."  He finally arrived about 30 minutes later.  I said "What took so long?"  He mumbled something about getting lost.  (And he didn't call anyone because ... ?) 

He told me that my total was $34.67.  I handed him two twenties and said "Keep the change" (I tend to tip no matter what, and I was so hungry, I didn't feel like messing around with change.)  He continued to stand there awkwardly.  I asked "Was there anything else?"  "Uh, it's $44.67."  "You just told me $34.67, and that's what's on the bill," I pointed out.  "Oh.  Yeah."

We never ordered from them again, and they closed that location a couple of months later.

And at that, I would have told them to give me back my change.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

BarensMom

« Reply #4892 on: October 18, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
Ooooh I just remembered another one! ...Involving another pizza place. Bear with me.

... ...

I don't even think I ate it, and just threw it away. We never went back, and that location is now closed.

Couldn't you at least have given the pizza to the bear? The bear that was with you?

;D

You know, the bear everyone keeps in their kitchen to test the Food Locker.

lietya

« Reply #4893 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »
I took our Camry in to Monroe to get an oil change, and ended up being presented with a potential bill for $1700 to fix "major safety issues." I declined to have them do the work and said I'd take it to our regular mechanic, at which point they also suggested he was a scammer working under the table (!).  Then I spent the weekend stressing about a huge repair bill and/or being killed when the front strut finished disintegrating (while strongly suspecting they were lying, but at that point I couldn't just blow it off).

The car is PERFECT. Our mechanic said "it's as tight as if it came from the factory" and "if this were my daughter's car, I still wouldn't fix anything." He says they went over it with a fine-tooth comb, more than they usually do, and found nothing. He also added that on the list I gave them included double-charging us for some parts; they'd be included in the kit to fix the "control arm" but we were being charged again for them separately. They still cost me about $100, but at least it's being paid to our honest mechanic and not them.

I even went back on the off chance that they would have more integrity the second time, and not only won't they refund the oil change, they said I need a third opinion because my mechanic is clearly unreliable. Well, I've been going to him for 15 years without a single issue, and he *refused* the opportunity to make us pay him tons of money. I know which one I believe.

So. No more Monroe. I can't disrecommend them enough at this point, since they flat-out lied to my face, and it was two separate mechanics doing it.

Sunbeem

« Reply #4894 on: October 18, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
I will never shop at Mediacom again.  Hopefully.  They do have a monopoly in some areas, though.

When I moved into my first apartment, I got cable internet from Mediacom.  Over the phone, they quoted me a monthly price for the first year of service that was $10 lower than the only competitor in town, and stated that they would supply me with a "free" modem (covered by the cost of the installation/start-service fee).  Guy comes, sets everything up, etc.  Not long after, I get my first monthly bill in the mail - charging me $10 more per month than I was quoted.  I call customer service, they said they will look into it and get back to me.  A few days later they haven't called back, I call again, rough summary of the conversation: "You overcharged me; I was told X per month" "Well, that's incorrect, we never charge that low."  "Well, I was quoted X over the phone" "Well, we will have to review the call and get back to you."  They didn't call back when they said they would, so I called again, and finally was told, "Well, we don't normally charge that low, but since our person misquoted it, we will honor the price they gave you.  But it's only the one-year promotional price, so it will jump up to $__ after the first year."  Fine, ok, they fixed the billing issue for me.

Meanwhile, during the first several months of living there, I kept getting telemarketing phone calls on my cellphone.  My plan had limited minutes and, like almost all USA cell phones, incoming calls use up your minutes.  I would answer and sometimes they just hung up on me.  When I got a live person, they said they were from Mediacom and was I interested in adding cable TV service, phone service, etc. to bundle with my internet and save gobs of money?  The first time I said no thanks.  The 2nd time, I said no thanks and please don't call again.  The third time, same.  Now, there is a national Do Not Call list to prevent telemarketers, but businesses that have had an "existing business relationship" with you in the near past are allowed to call you to offer more services.  HOWEVER, they ARE required to stop calling you once you specifically request it.  So on the 4th call where a live Mediacom person tried to sell me something, I got a bit terse and told them that I had asked repeatedly to be taken off their call list, and that not only was I not going to buy any additional services from them, but that if they called me again I would cancel my internet service AND report them to the BBB and Federal Trade Commission (or whoever it is that regulates telemarketers; I forget now.).   They huffily said "fine" and that was the end of it.  Aside from occasional outages, I never had problems with them again until I moved in with a friend and had to cancel my service...

I called to cancel. Reason: moving. "Do you want to transfer service to a new address?" "No."  They said they would stop service on the date I requested, and they issue a check for the amount I was due back (I paid each month in advance, and had already been automatically billed for the full month).  They told me the exact amount that it would be made out for, and how many weeks before it would arrive.  They even asked for (and I gave them) the address I was moving to that they should send the check to.

A week after the check was supposed to arrive, I called to ask what the status was.  They said it would be another X weeks.  I waited X weeks and then called again.  They said it had already been mailed and should arrive any day.  I waited several more days.  Then I called them from my computer, with the sound recording feature on, notified them that I was recording the phone call, explained the situation, and again asked when I could expect the check.  The woman said that the check had been mailed yesterday and should arrive within 2 weeks.   A few days later I received the check, dated and postmarked the day of my last phone call (obviously, they were lying through their teeth each time they said it had already been mailed.)

Next time I moved into my own apartment, we went with CenturyLink (previously Qwest) and aside from them EMAILING things that they said they would MAIL, we have not had any problems.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4895 on: October 18, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
So there's this bar. It was a pretty cool bar, good bands, kitchen opened pretty late, bartenders with a good pour, nice waitresses, seriously I started bringing tons of my friends there. It's hard to find a bar that meets everyone in my groups needs so when we find one, we fall in love.

So I order a jack and coke to start, and then I have about 3 more (I know lush), and Partner has a few too (neither of us were the driver), a total of 7 between us. When the waitress brings us the check towards the end of our night I noticed that 3 of the drinks were priced at 2.99 (cheap), 1 was at 4.99 (average), and the remaining 3 were at 7.99 (high). So I call over the waitress and ask why the exact same drinks are priced differently (seemingly at random). And she (very nicely) explained the first 3 we ordered during happy hour so they were happy hour price, the fourth was ordered just before the band went on but after happy hour so normal price, and the last 3 were ordered after then band went on so they price jumped to cover the cost of having the band. And had any of this been anywhere in the bar, or on their website (which I looked at to see who was playing and if they were running specials), I wouldn't have a problem. But it wasn't, and when I pointed that out she said "I know, actually, the owner is right over there at the bar. I keep trying to tell him this is nuts, but he won't listen to the staff. But if you could talk to him..." she kind of trailed off and I got up and went to speak with him. Because really...this was ridiculous.

I didn't yell or scream or curse. I simply explained the problem to him and said "Why don't have signage or even a note on the menus?" and his response was to curse at me and tell me "If you can't afford to go out, stay home!" he went on about how fantastic this band was and how much they charged and how if he didn't raise the drink prices he'd never be able to afford them (I know several bars that don't jack up their prices or charge a cover and still can afford bands). I restated my complaint, that we (the customer) were completely unaware. Shouldn't, at the least, the waitstaff inform us of a change in price? I was told that doing that would be stupid because then we'd stop drinking or switch to cheaper stuff. Then his...date I guess, started calling me a vulgar word for the female antimony and rather then hushing her (she was drunk) he laughed along with her. At this point Partner came over to see what was going on when he asked who she was I said "My fiance, if you're done verbally assaulting me, what are you going to do about the pricing problem?" and then we got a nice treated to a barrage of gay slurs. Nice. At which point I looked at the bartender who was just slack jawed at this and said "I'm being verbally abused, do I really need to pay for this?" at which point the bartender picked up my receipt and said "I'll take care of it, he's drunk, not that he's nicer sober, but he won't remember this tomorrow. Don't worry your server won't be in any trouble. And I'm sorry. So, very sorry", I thanked him, recommended he get a job bartending elsewhere, and tipped the server $20 for having to deal with that every day.

I then told every single person I know about my experience, left a yelp review (followed up by my friends who were with us), and talked about my experience on facebook. I won't go back and neither will most of my friends.

Carotte

« Reply #4896 on: October 18, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »
Oh, whow oO, talk about repeatedly shooting yourself in the foot while bashing your head and other such things.
You know what a good citizen thing to do is? find out who is in charge of such regulation (the BBB maybe?) and drop them a word for them to go and drop the owner another kind word along the lines of it's probably illegal to not put anywhere something about the price change.
Most likely there is a law out there about having to pay the price that is displayed, and not some made up price no one told you about.

It's not even snarky or evil Carotte telling you this, really, it's the good citizen thing to do  ::)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4897 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!
And others:

I learned from one cooking show to break eggs on a flat surface to avoid shell fragments. Works for me.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4898 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!
And others:

I learned from one cooking show to break eggs on a flat surface to avoid shell fragments. Works for me.

A flat surface?  Like a cutting board?  Wouldn't the gooey stuff then just spread out all over the place?  I can't quite picture this.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4899 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
Nope, it won't.  It will crack straight across rather than fragmenting inward.  Jacques Pepin does it that way.  Just tap, don't smash.  I hit my first few a bit too hard and the mess was impressive.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4900 on: October 18, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
And others:

A flat surface?  Like a cutting board?  Wouldn't the gooey stuff then just spread out all over the place?  I can't quite picture this.
I think Luci means crack them on a flat surface, not break them in your usual manner and pour them out of the shell onto a flat surface.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4901 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
And others:

I think Luci means crack them on a flat surface, not break them in your usual manner and pour them out of the shell onto a flat surface.

No, I know what she meant.  I just can't picture doing it.  But then I admit to being kind of a klutz, so maybe for most people it would be easy.  I just don't think I'd have quite the finesse to crack it without some spillage!   ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4902 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
And others:

No, I know what she meant.  I just can't picture doing it.  But then I admit to being kind of a klutz, so maybe for most people it would be easy.  I just don't think I'd have quite the finesse to crack it without some spillage!   ;D

Every time I try it, I end up shoving a thumb through the whole egg trying to get it open. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4903 on: October 18, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
I've done that more than once, too.

Wittyone

« Reply #4904 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
I crack eggs on the flat counter top, with a paper towel underneath to soak up the little bit that dribbles out.  It works well, and I almost never end up with bits of shell where I don't want it.
California