News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 29, 2016, 02:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1877269 times)

gramma dishes

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4890 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:08 PM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!
And others:

I learned from one cooking show to break eggs on a flat surface to avoid shell fragments. Works for me.

A flat surface?  Like a cutting board?  Wouldn't the gooey stuff then just spread out all over the place?  I can't quite picture this.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4891 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
Nope, it won't.  It will crack straight across rather than fragmenting inward.  Jacques Pepin does it that way.  Just tap, don't smash.  I hit my first few a bit too hard and the mess was impressive.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #4892 on: October 18, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!
And others:

I learned from one cooking show to break eggs on a flat surface to avoid shell fragments. Works for me.

A flat surface?  Like a cutting board?  Wouldn't the gooey stuff then just spread out all over the place?  I can't quite picture this.
I think Luci means crack them on a flat surface, not break them in your usual manner and pour them out of the shell onto a flat surface.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

« Reply #4893 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
And others:

I think Luci means crack them on a flat surface, not break them in your usual manner and pour them out of the shell onto a flat surface.

No, I know what she meant.  I just can't picture doing it.  But then I admit to being kind of a klutz, so maybe for most people it would be easy.  I just don't think I'd have quite the finesse to crack it without some spillage!   ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4894 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »
And others:

No, I know what she meant.  I just can't picture doing it.  But then I admit to being kind of a klutz, so maybe for most people it would be easy.  I just don't think I'd have quite the finesse to crack it without some spillage!   ;D

Every time I try it, I end up shoving a thumb through the whole egg trying to get it open. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4895 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
I've done that more than once, too.

Wittyone

« Reply #4896 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »
I crack eggs on the flat counter top, with a paper towel underneath to soak up the little bit that dribbles out.  It works well, and I almost never end up with bits of shell where I don't want it.
California

Dindrane

« Reply #4897 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
You can also crack eggs on the inside of the bowl (instead of the edge). Then you aren't making so much of a mess if you misjudge the force necessary.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4898 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
I crack my eggs against one another rather than on the edge of the bowl/cup.  the only exception is when I'm cracking eggs to separate into the yolks and whites. Then I will crack on the edge of a cup/bowl
Maryland

Snooks

« Reply #4899 on: October 19, 2013, 07:38:02 AM »
I crack my eggs against one another rather than on the edge of the bowl/cup.  the only exception is when I'm cracking eggs to separate into the yolks and whites. Then I will crack on the edge of a cup/bowl

I saw that at an omelette bar in a hotel, I was mesmerised by how easily the guy did it.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4900 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:19 AM »

I saw that at an omelette bar in a hotel, I was mesmerised by how easily the guy did it.

I don't even think about it anymore.  I just automatically pick up an egg in each hand and start cracking. I've never had any problems with shells getting into my eggs.
Maryland

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4901 on: October 19, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
I crack eggs onto the flat counter top. It works very well, and doesn't inject shell inside the egg. Learned that from Alton Brown's Good Eats.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4902 on: October 19, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
I'm going to try the flat surface thing next time I have eggs.

I did have a home ec teacher who insisted we had to use a tea strainer to separate yolks and whites  :o

Firecat

« Reply #4903 on: October 19, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »

I did have a home ec teacher who insisted we had to use a tea strainer to separate yolks and whites  :o

Seriously? That's the kind of thing that had me trying not to roll my eyes back in the day...on the rare occasion that I need to separate eggs, I just use the two halves of the shell. Works fine, you just have to be careful not to break the yolk.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4904 on: October 19, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »

Seriously? That's the kind of thing that had me trying not to roll my eyes back in the day...on the rare occasion that I need to separate eggs, I just use the two halves of the shell. Works fine, you just have to be careful not to break the yolk.

Yup.  It's what I did when her back was turned!