Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1165724 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4890 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!
And others:

I learned from one cooking show to break eggs on a flat surface to avoid shell fragments. Works for me.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4891 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
Yes, I break eggs into a cup to avoid bits of shell in my food.  I love eggs, but I always get shell in them and eating shell squicks me out!
And others:

I learned from one cooking show to break eggs on a flat surface to avoid shell fragments. Works for me.

A flat surface?  Like a cutting board?  Wouldn't the gooey stuff then just spread out all over the place?  I can't quite picture this.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4892 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
Nope, it won't.  It will crack straight across rather than fragmenting inward.  Jacques Pepin does it that way.  Just tap, don't smash.  I hit my first few a bit too hard and the mess was impressive.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4893 on: October 18, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
And others:

A flat surface?  Like a cutting board?  Wouldn't the gooey stuff then just spread out all over the place?  I can't quite picture this.
I think Luci means crack them on a flat surface, not break them in your usual manner and pour them out of the shell onto a flat surface.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4894 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
And others:

I think Luci means crack them on a flat surface, not break them in your usual manner and pour them out of the shell onto a flat surface.

No, I know what she meant.  I just can't picture doing it.  But then I admit to being kind of a klutz, so maybe for most people it would be easy.  I just don't think I'd have quite the finesse to crack it without some spillage!   ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4895 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
And others:

No, I know what she meant.  I just can't picture doing it.  But then I admit to being kind of a klutz, so maybe for most people it would be easy.  I just don't think I'd have quite the finesse to crack it without some spillage!   ;D

Every time I try it, I end up shoving a thumb through the whole egg trying to get it open. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4896 on: October 18, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
I've done that more than once, too.

Wittyone

« Reply #4897 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
I crack eggs on the flat counter top, with a paper towel underneath to soak up the little bit that dribbles out.  It works well, and I almost never end up with bits of shell where I don't want it.
California

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4898 on: October 18, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
You can also crack eggs on the inside of the bowl (instead of the edge). Then you aren't making so much of a mess if you misjudge the force necessary.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4899 on: October 19, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
I crack my eggs against one another rather than on the edge of the bowl/cup.  the only exception is when I'm cracking eggs to separate into the yolks and whites. Then I will crack on the edge of a cup/bowl

Snooks

« Reply #4900 on: October 19, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »
I crack my eggs against one another rather than on the edge of the bowl/cup.  the only exception is when I'm cracking eggs to separate into the yolks and whites. Then I will crack on the edge of a cup/bowl

I saw that at an omelette bar in a hotel, I was mesmerised by how easily the guy did it.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4901 on: October 19, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »

I saw that at an omelette bar in a hotel, I was mesmerised by how easily the guy did it.

I don't even think about it anymore.  I just automatically pick up an egg in each hand and start cracking. I've never had any problems with shells getting into my eggs.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4902 on: October 19, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
I crack eggs onto the flat counter top. It works very well, and doesn't inject shell inside the egg. Learned that from Alton Brown's Good Eats.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4903 on: October 19, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »
I'm going to try the flat surface thing next time I have eggs.

I did have a home ec teacher who insisted we had to use a tea strainer to separate yolks and whites  :o

Firecat

« Reply #4904 on: October 19, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
I'm going to try the flat surface thing next time I have eggs.

I did have a home ec teacher who insisted we had to use a tea strainer to separate yolks and whites  :o

Seriously? That's the kind of thing that had me trying not to roll my eyes back in the day...on the rare occasion that I need to separate eggs, I just use the two halves of the shell. Works fine, you just have to be careful not to break the yolk.