Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1250298 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4905 on: October 19, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
I'm going to try the flat surface thing next time I have eggs.

I did have a home ec teacher who insisted we had to use a tea strainer to separate yolks and whites  :o

Seriously? That's the kind of thing that had me trying not to roll my eyes back in the day...on the rare occasion that I need to separate eggs, I just use the two halves of the shell. Works fine, you just have to be careful not to break the yolk.

Yup.  It's what I did when her back was turned!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4906 on: October 19, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »

I did have a home ec teacher who insisted we had to use a tea strainer to separate yolks and whites  :o

wha... ::) I just use my hand

darling

« Reply #4907 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »

A spoon works, too. :)

CakeBeret

« Reply #4908 on: October 19, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
A motorcycle dealership.

DH found a motorcycle online that he wanted to buy. Friday he called the dealership, verified that it was in stock, and said that he wanted to come look at it first thing in the morning. They said that was fine, they opened at 10 AM. He went to the bank and got pre-approved for the loan, and took the day off work so he could purchase the bike.

He rode his old bike 45 minutes in freezing rain to get there this morning, arrived at 10 AM, and was informed that the sales manager had taken the bike home with him for the weekend. The salesman basically said "Oh well, guess you'll have to come back Monday".

He won't be going back at all.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Snooks

« Reply #4909 on: October 19, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »

I'll tell you what doesn't work - the egg separator that came with my measuring spoons. Luckily I tried it over a cup.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4910 on: October 19, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »
A motorcycle dealership.

DH found a motorcycle online that he wanted to buy. Friday he called the dealership, verified that it was in stock, and said that he wanted to come look at it first thing in the morning. They said that was fine, they opened at 10 AM. He went to the bank and got pre-approved for the loan, and took the day off work so he could purchase the bike.

He rode his old bike 45 minutes in freezing rain to get there this morning, arrived at 10 AM, and was informed that the sales manager had taken the bike home with him for the weekend. The salesman basically said "Oh well, guess you'll have to come back Monday".

That's astounding.   >:( >:(

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4911 on: October 19, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

Or a plastic water bottle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AirVOuTN_M

My MIL flipped out when I cracked eggs against the edge of the bowl.  That was WRONG!!!!!  (And in MIL-land, doing it wrong, after she had told me the right way to do things = criticizing MIL.) I might get egg on the outside of the bowl, and have to wash it.  I was all  :o and  ::)   because once I was done with my baking, I was going to have to wash the bowl anyway, right?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:07:02 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4912 on: October 19, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »
A motorcycle dealership.

That's astounding.   >:( >:(
Not as much so as when we bought our first new car.  We went to the Datsun dealership in Fairbanks on Friday, picked out a car, and gave them a downpayment to hold it.  Told them we'd be back on Monday with the rest of the money, since someone was buying our old car and paying us then.  Neighbors gave us a lift into town on Monday since we no longer had a car. And "our" car was gone! They had sold it out from under us!  So we had no old car, and no new car.  They were like "Gee, we're sorry, what are you going to do?"  It took a threat of going to the BBB before they gave us a loaner until they could get another of that model up from Anchorage.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

dawnfire

« Reply #4913 on: October 19, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »

I do the juggling thing. crack the egg and transfer the yolk back and forth a few times over a bowl.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #4914 on: October 19, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »

I do the juggling thing. crack the egg and transfer the yolk back and forth a few times over a bowl.

I use a clean, empty plastic bottle.  Crack the egg into a cup or a bowl, then squeeze the plastic bottle and gently set the bottle's opening against the egg yolk so it's touching all around and making a seal with the yolk.  Loosen your hold on the bottle and the yolk will be sucked right up into the bottle.  Easy to just dump it out if you are going to use the yolk for something else.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4915 on: October 20, 2013, 02:25:34 AM »
Not as much so as when we bought our first new car.  We went to the Datsun dealership in Fairbanks on Friday, picked out a car, and gave them a downpayment to hold it.  Told them we'd be back on Monday with the rest of the money, since someone was buying our old car and paying us then.  Neighbors gave us a lift into town on Monday since we no longer had a car. And "our" car was gone! They had sold it out from under us!  So we had no old car, and no new car.  They were like "Gee, we're sorry, what are you going to do?"  It took a threat of going to the BBB before they gave us a loaner until they could get another of that model up from Anchorage.

My sister and BIL went to buy a car. They found what they wanted, signed the paper work, and put down a down payment. There were a couple of things that had to be taken care of, so they left the car there. When they went back - the dealership tried to make them take a DIFFERENT car. The paper work had the VIN number of the new car, not the one they test drove. Sis and BIL look younger than they are. They had Loren and Brett with them. I think the dealership thought they could fool/intimidate them into taking the other car. They tried to claim that Sis and BIL test drove so many cars that day they couldn't remember what they agreed to. Even the kids were saying no - it had a DVD player and some other things. THen the dealer ship tried to keep the down payment, take sis's copy of the paper work away. She did exactly what Dad would have done - threatened to call the cops and report they were being held against their will. They gave back the money and let them leave with the paperwork. She filed a complaint with the AG's office against the dealership.  Her yelp review was taken down.  SHe never heard back from the AG's office.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #4916 on: October 20, 2013, 02:28:00 AM »
My mother's an addict for the Anna Olson baking show on the Food Channel. Olson separates her eggs just using her fingers  - see here, at 2.33 minutes:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiy4b4jqlw

I'm still of the passing it from one half of the shell to the other school. I haven't tried the Olson method.  I don't have the nerve!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:04:02 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4917 on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:58 AM »
My mother's an addict for the Anna Olson baking show on the Food Channel. Olson separates her eggs just using her fingers  - see here, at 2.33 minutes:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiy4b4jqlw

I'm still of the passing it from one half of the shell to the other school. I haven't tried the Olson method.  I don't have the nerve!

You have to use warm/room temperature eggs, but the biggest thing to be careful of is the yolk breaking in your hand and dripping down into the whites.  So I always separate into a different container just in case.  I don't know of any professional baker/pastry chef that doesn't use their hand to separate eggs.  It's just so much faster

cmurf1960

« Reply #4918 on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »
This was a well-known national department store.  Last year, my husband went there to purchase a snowblower.  As our only vehicle is a Ford Focus, he asked about delivery, and was assured by the salesperson that they would be able to deliver it.  But when it came time to pay, he was told that since the machine was on clearance, delivery was not possible.  He went ahead with the order anyway, figuring that he'd just rent a truck to go and pick it up.

When he came home and told me about this, I was livid.  Clearance or not, he had just dropped $1,000 on a snowblower, and the store won't deliver it, even for a fee?  This store sells large appliances and outdoor machines, they do have delivery trucks.  Why should he have to go to the trouble to rent a truck, when he could just buy the thing elsewhere and have it delivered?  So he thought better of it, and decided to return to the store next day to cancel the transaction.

The salesperson asked why he was canceling.  He told them that it was because they would not deliver it, he didn't want the hassle of renting a truck, and would prefer to buy elsewhere, someplace where they'd be happy to deliver this large item.

The salesperson then told him, "oh, we CAN deliver it, would you like that?"  Tired of being jerked around by the whole thing, he said no, and asked them to cancel the purchase, which they finally did after a lot of hemming and hawing.

I know; he should not have agreed to buy it if he could not get a straight answer about delivery.  But in any case, we will not be shopping at this particular chain ever again.  This is a company that used to be good, but has gone downhill in recent years.

Amara

« Reply #4919 on: October 21, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
That has SEARS written all over it, cmurf1960.