Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1242652 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4920 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
That has SEARS written all over it, cmurf1960.

My thoughts, exactly.  I gave up on them years ago.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hjaye

« Reply #4921 on: October 21, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
That has SEARS written all over it, cmurf1960.

That's funny. I read the post and said to myself outloud, "That sounds like SEARS" and then I looked down and saw your post.

Amara

« Reply #4922 on: October 21, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »
Amazing how we all know.  :P

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4923 on: October 21, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
Amara wrote:

"Amazing how we all know."

It's not hard to figure it out.  Name another department store where you can buy a snowblower.

Virg

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4924 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
Name another department store with a worse reputation (down from what they were even ten or fifteen years ago).  Certainly down from what they used to be forty years ago, when I was in high school....and cave bears roamed the icy landscape.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #4925 on: October 21, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
My grandpa used to work for Sears (late 80s/early 90s), loved them, they were awesome to work for, awesome to buy from, just awesome (in his opinion). So when I went shopping for new appliances I was shocked (shocked I tell you!) to hear him say "Buy from anywhere but Sears. Seriously anywhere. Go to Best Buy, but do not go to Sears", he hates Best Buy as well because they screwed up a computer of his years ago, so it was big that he suggested them.

Apparently they screwed up a couch he and my grandma bought. They were supposed to deliver it on a Tuesday. They did. Three weeks after they were supposed to deliver it. Three weeks after the charity had come and gotten the old couch. Grandpa kept getting transferred to everyone in the company in the three weeks leading up, and when he called to complain after it had arrived he was told "It's there now, that's what's important!", I'm not sure how he reacted but I'm guessing not e-hell approved.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4926 on: October 21, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »
I believe Sears also owns KMart and while there are few of those left in the country, the few I've been to I've not been impressed with, for the most part. We have one in our town and there are some things I like going for, like camping gear, on the whole I'm not impressed.

And the parking lot outside the Sears in our mall is always mostly empty.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4927 on: October 21, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »
I believe Sears also owns KMart and while there are few of those left in the country, the few I've been to I've not been impressed with, for the most part. We have one in our town and there are some things I like going for, like camping gear, on the whole I'm not impressed.

And the parking lot outside the Sears in our mall is always mostly empty.

Actually, it's the other way around.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4928 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Actually, I think KMart bought Sears - which, the way the KMarts have been run where we've been living, explains a lot about how the Sears are being run....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4929 on: October 21, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Ah! I see, now that does make sense!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #4930 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:52 AM »
My grandpa used to work for Sears (late 80s/early 90s), loved them, they were awesome to work for, awesome to buy from, just awesome (in his opinion). So when I went shopping for new appliances I was shocked (shocked I tell you!) to hear him say "Buy from anywhere but Sears. Seriously anywhere. Go to Best Buy, but do not go to Sears", he hates Best Buy as well because they screwed up a computer of his years ago, so it was big that he suggested them.

Apparently they screwed up a couch he and my grandma bought. They were supposed to deliver it on a Tuesday. They did. Three weeks after they were supposed to deliver it. Three weeks after the charity had come and gotten the old couch. Grandpa kept getting transferred to everyone in the company in the three weeks leading up, and when he called to complain after it had arrived he was told "It's there now, that's what's important!", I'm not sure how he reacted but I'm guessing not e-hell approved.

I may have posted about this before unfortunately it will not allow me to search the forums to check.

In 1980, around April or May, a custom-made couch was ordered from Sears and a loan was taken out at a financial institution.  The amount was tendered in full to Sears and it was a pretty big amount for 1980.  Delivery was to be in 6 weeks.  Then 7, then 8, then 9.  Then it was "in transit".  Finally, 5 days before Christmas, the person who ordered the couch said; "Enough!" got their money back and bought furniture from a different place that was delivered the next day.

The kicker?   What had finally sent the person that had ordered it to say "Enough!"?  Finding out 5 days before Christmas that the couch had been sitting outside in a trailer parked at a loading dock since June.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4931 on: October 22, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Wow, I must have lucked out, my local Sears and Kmart are just great.  Well, I would never buy appliances from them, but that is unrelated to the store.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4932 on: October 22, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
The main reason for the decline of Sears stores has been the CEO of Sears.  Edward Lampert has outright said that he's working on separating and preserving the parts of Sears that have value (the HomeGoods, Land's End and Craftsman brands) and doesn't care much about the rest, so investment in store maintenance and staffing have plummeted and it shows.  There's an article on Yahoo about how some journalist went through a store and found all sorts of evidence of "bad management" where it's really a lack of corporate support.  Depending on the managment of each Sears store, it'll be better or worse but on the whole, Mr. Lampert is running the brand on receivership (to his credit, he's doing it because it was the only way to keep it from collapsing entirely) so it's not likely that Sears itself will ever get better.  It's too bad, too, because as I said above, what other department store could you go to to buy a snowblower?

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4933 on: October 22, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
I can completely believe that.  In my old town, a Sears took over the space once inhabited by a Kmart and aside from the sections you mentioned, the store was utter carp.

MissRose

« Reply #4934 on: October 22, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
Honestly, I am not fond of either Sears or Kmart.  The selection is not that good, prices are not decent, and the service leaves a lot to be desired.  The only things I will get at Sears are Craftsman tools for my dad or other male relatives, beyond that not much at either place that interests me.