Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1140566 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4935 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Actually, I think KMart bought Sears - which, the way the KMarts have been run where we've been living, explains a lot about how the Sears are being run....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4936 on: October 21, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Ah! I see, now that does make sense!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #4937 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:52 AM »
My grandpa used to work for Sears (late 80s/early 90s), loved them, they were awesome to work for, awesome to buy from, just awesome (in his opinion). So when I went shopping for new appliances I was shocked (shocked I tell you!) to hear him say "Buy from anywhere but Sears. Seriously anywhere. Go to Best Buy, but do not go to Sears", he hates Best Buy as well because they screwed up a computer of his years ago, so it was big that he suggested them.

Apparently they screwed up a couch he and my grandma bought. They were supposed to deliver it on a Tuesday. They did. Three weeks after they were supposed to deliver it. Three weeks after the charity had come and gotten the old couch. Grandpa kept getting transferred to everyone in the company in the three weeks leading up, and when he called to complain after it had arrived he was told "It's there now, that's what's important!", I'm not sure how he reacted but I'm guessing not e-hell approved.

I may have posted about this before unfortunately it will not allow me to search the forums to check.

In 1980, around April or May, a custom-made couch was ordered from Sears and a loan was taken out at a financial institution.  The amount was tendered in full to Sears and it was a pretty big amount for 1980.  Delivery was to be in 6 weeks.  Then 7, then 8, then 9.  Then it was "in transit".  Finally, 5 days before Christmas, the person who ordered the couch said; "Enough!" got their money back and bought furniture from a different place that was delivered the next day.

The kicker?   What had finally sent the person that had ordered it to say "Enough!"?  Finding out 5 days before Christmas that the couch had been sitting outside in a trailer parked at a loading dock since June.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4938 on: October 22, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Wow, I must have lucked out, my local Sears and Kmart are just great.  Well, I would never buy appliances from them, but that is unrelated to the store.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4939 on: October 22, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
The main reason for the decline of Sears stores has been the CEO of Sears.  Edward Lampert has outright said that he's working on separating and preserving the parts of Sears that have value (the HomeGoods, Land's End and Craftsman brands) and doesn't care much about the rest, so investment in store maintenance and staffing have plummeted and it shows.  There's an article on Yahoo about how some journalist went through a store and found all sorts of evidence of "bad management" where it's really a lack of corporate support.  Depending on the managment of each Sears store, it'll be better or worse but on the whole, Mr. Lampert is running the brand on receivership (to his credit, he's doing it because it was the only way to keep it from collapsing entirely) so it's not likely that Sears itself will ever get better.  It's too bad, too, because as I said above, what other department store could you go to to buy a snowblower?

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4940 on: October 22, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
I can completely believe that.  In my old town, a Sears took over the space once inhabited by a Kmart and aside from the sections you mentioned, the store was utter carp.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MissRose

« Reply #4941 on: October 22, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
Honestly, I am not fond of either Sears or Kmart.  The selection is not that good, prices are not decent, and the service leaves a lot to be desired.  The only things I will get at Sears are Craftsman tools for my dad or other male relatives, beyond that not much at either place that interests me.

Amara

« Reply #4942 on: October 22, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
In my opinion, Lands' End became carp when Sears bought them. Their quality nosedived, and I have refused to buy from them since. And I hate Sears and have for a long, long, loooooooooong time. Kmart? I stepped foot in their store only once. I was doing a report on nonverbal communication for my college class (I went back to finish my degree in the mid-1990s). Rather than people I had chosen stores in order to compare four different ones for their "nonverbal communication" choices. (The report was fascinating!) Not surprisingly, Kmart was at the bottom of the four I chose, and it showed. I ended up reeling out of there with a very sick headache.

Jones

« Reply #4943 on: October 22, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
Our local Kmart is absolutely awesome.

Sears...not so much.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #4944 on: October 22, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
When it was time to buy a new washer/dryer I called my repairman and asked what would be best - Kenmore he said.

"Kenmore is the Sear's brand and because there are gillions out there; parts will always be easy to find."

I have had Kenmore washers & dryers my whole adult life (over 30 years) and can't imagine any other brand at this point.   And I've rarely had problems with them.  I hate that they have to come from Sear's...no service anymore.  You pay for it and then you load it up yourself, you take it home, you unload it and you hook it up with the new hoses you bought.  They don't include hookup or delivery anymore and that's IF they will deliver it to you at all. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4945 on: October 22, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
Many moons ago, I applied for a job at Kmart way before they brought Sears.  During the interview, the interviewer was talking about how Kmart was the third largest retailer.  She also said Sears was first (I forget who was second).  How the mighty have fallen.  Sad because they both were pretty good stores back in the day.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4946 on: October 22, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
Wow, I must have lucked out, my local Sears and Kmart are just great.  Well, I would never buy appliances from them, but that is unrelated to the store.

It really seems to depend on the regional manager, not just the store manager.

There is a KMart where we used to live that was always understaffed, behind in stocking the shelves, and the "attitude" from the people who were there was NOT the kind of attitude that encouraged people to shop...more along the lines of "why are you interrupting my day?"

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4947 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »
I will say the employees at Kmart are very friendly and helpful, I'll give them that. :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4948 on: October 23, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »
We only have a few KMart locations and the Sears locations at the malls are starting to close. I don't shop at either.

We buy all our Craftsman tools at Ace hardware.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4949 on: October 23, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
Going back a few pages, I tried the "break eggs on a flat surface" method today, and it worked!

There I was, looking at my shell-free egg and thinking "I'll have to tell the Ehellions about this!" at the exact moment one of the shell halves slipped out of my grip and straight into the egg...  D'oh!