Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 980242 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4980 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
flickan wrote:

"Then there was a creepy moment at the photo counter many years ago where the clerk handed the pictures back to me with a big smile and said, "You guys look like you were having a good time!""

I wouldn't consider that overly creepy.  For photo processing machines, the final quality control is usually the operator looking over each photo so that they can verify that it printed cleanly and that it's properly colored, so having someone looking at the pictures is the norm.  That he remembered you from them is nothing special.  It could be that yours were the only one he ran recently or most of the orders were boring snapshots and so yours stood out, or maybe he just has a good memory.
Virg

We had something a bit like that happen some years ago.  We were attending MIL and FIL's 50 th Anniversary.  Earlier in the week we had been flight-seeing in the Grand Canyon and thought the family might like to see our pictures.  There wasn't time to have them developed at home so we brought the film and had it developed in the town where the party was being held. 

When we went to pick them up, the owner of the photo shop liked one of the shots so much he asked if he could make an enlargement and hang it in the place. 

We had a good laugh about this because Mr. Thipu is legally blind.   

Redsoil

« Reply #4981 on: October 26, 2013, 03:53:12 AM »
Interesting to see the different perspectives on preferred levels of service.  Obviously, if a patron seems more "private", or subject matter seems sensitive, then discretion is advised.  All part of being a good librarian and knowing people's preferred levels of comfort (many librarians are quite good at "reading" people as well as books!).

As mentioned, it was often useful to patrons if we mentioned that "this related book by other author is really good - you might enjoy their work".  Or a suggestion on research materials that they may not have considered.  It was usual to say if we'd read a book they were checking out, or to let them know of new books we had available on similar themes etc.  (Again, taking into account possible privacy issues/personalities.) 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Jocelyn

« Reply #4982 on: October 26, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Ah, once upon a time, it was a GOOD thing to be widely read...
If the librarian's comments weren't overtly critical, I wouldn't mind. If someone said, 'That's an interesting range of subjects,' I'd probably say, 'Isn't it?' and go on. :D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4983 on: October 26, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
Ah, once upon a time, it was a GOOD thing to be widely read...
If the librarian's comments weren't overtly critical, I wouldn't mind. If someone said, 'That's an interesting range of subjects,' I'd probably say, 'Isn't it?' and go on. :D

Part of my job as a librarian was to help patrons get the materials they needed - which weren't necessarily the materials they THOUGHT they needed.  So if a school-age kid came through with three books on Cleopatra and I happened to know there was a good book at about his/her level but it was in a display and not on the shelf at the moment, part of my job was to say "Oh, do you have a report on her?  There's a great book over there on that wall!"  Similarly, if they come through with three nonfiction books about Cleopatra and one fictional biography which had a cover making it look like it was more historically accurate than it was, I would say something then too.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4984 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
This happened all the time at the library in the 1980s and early 1990s. 

There wasn't much on the Internet but the librarian checked in and cataloged every bit of material that arrived. It was easy for her to alert readers about rather obscure articles that could be of use in their research. 

As an example, a curator was putting together a small show on ancient goddesses.  A book titled 'Dancing at the Dawn of Agriculture' might not seem promising but it plenty of helpful information.

As other posters have said, part of being a good librarian is being to read people. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4985 on: October 26, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
I agree.  I think a librarian (or anybody) who is in a job in which comments on items might usually be okay, should be aware of purchases that might be a little awkward, and should know not to comment.   Somebody is checking out "The Girls' Body Book," the "Kama Sutra," or the Koran?  No comment.  (With the Koran, they might be religiously Muslim whether they look it or not, or they might be somebody of another religion who is reading it for their edification.  Since you don't know, just about any comment you make could unintentionally be a problem.)  If somebody is in the checkout line, you'd obviously want to refrain from commenting on sanitary napkins, pregnancy tests, or condoms... but also on commenting on athlete's foot cream.  I think medical/sexual/religious/political would be the big things to avoid in a general sense.  And there should definitely be no comments that imply judgment, whether positive or negative ("Wow, you must really like apples!" even).

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4986 on: October 26, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
I don't mind librarians or book store clerks saying something like, "I see you like mysteries.  Have you read anything by Blahblah Mysterywriter?"  I've gotten some good books that way.

On the other hand, back when I was 14 (I've told this story before) I tried to check out a complicated book on astronomy, and the librarian refused to let me check it out because she felt it was "too hard" for me.  My dad checked it out, and I read it through twice before it was due to go back.  I had been an avid amateur astronomer for years at that point, and knew the sky better than a lot of adults do. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #4987 on: October 26, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
That's something I don't get. So WHAT if the book is too hard for you? What did she think would happen, you'd rip the book apart like a frustrated toddler?
If she'd said, 'This book is pretty advanced- have you read Book X and Book Y? They're better introductions to the topic.' THAT would be useful. You could have said you'd read them, and wanted more. Or another person could have been routed to a better introductory book. But just to refuse you the book, and not offer any other suggestions? That's weird.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4988 on: October 26, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
I agree.  I think a librarian (or anybody) who is in a job in which comments on items might usually be okay, should be aware of purchases that might be a little awkward, and should know not to comment.   Somebody is checking out "The Girls' Body Book," the "Kama Sutra," or the Koran?  No comment.  (With the Koran, they might be religiously Muslim whether they look it or not, or they might be somebody of another religion who is reading it for their edification.  Since you don't know, just about any comment you make could unintentionally be a problem.)  If somebody is in the checkout line, you'd obviously want to refrain from commenting on sanitary napkins, pregnancy tests, or condoms... but also on commenting on athlete's foot cream.  I think medical/sexual/religious/political would be the big things to avoid in a general sense.  And there should definitely be no comments that imply judgment, whether positive or negative ("Wow, you must really like apples!" even).

Agreed.  The only exception, for me, is mentioning when something they're checking out might have objectionable content that's not obvious from the cover - especially when I know it's intended for a child and the parent would have issues with it.  (I had a mom get mad at me for letting her check out "Jersey Girl" because she had no idea it would have "the J word" in it so much.  Took me a while to figure out what she meant.)  I never mentioned it in a judgmental manner, though, just as a heads-up - "That's his one book for adults, by the way, so it's very different than his children's books.  It's very good but very dark."

Jones

« Reply #4989 on: October 26, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »
This week we went to a public library screening of a documentary, all music and images from around the world; people living in different ways, worshipping in different ways, some struggling to survive in a third world country, others living in first world. Very gorgeous documentary IMO. It was PG-13, which I do allow my daughter to watch if I know why it's PG-13. In this case, it was partially nudity (stuff you'd see in a National Geographic) and partially some scenes in a factory farm (the way the animals live, and being packaged for sale, didn't show any actual death). Anyway, afterwards the librarian came to us and expressed that she'd been concerned when she saw a little girl in there, and wanted to make sure she hadn't been scared or traumatized. Want to know what my daughter was scared of the most? Some twisted African trees on the plains, that had funky looking shadows in the moonlight.

We did leave before it was over but that was because she was bored at the length of it (we'd thought it was an hour long, we made it an hour and a half before we left) and I didn't want her to make a scene. Nothing scary or inappropriate was happening when we left and the librarian followed us out. I reassured her several times that we were fine with the content, our goal had been to see a variety of cultures and have to think about our own lives and blessings; mission accomplished. I did appreciate the woman's concern but I also appreciated the fact that she didn't ask my daughter to leave before it began, without ascertaining whether we knew the content or my daughter's maturity. No related bad dreams yet, and we've talked several times about whatever questions pop into her head when she thinks of something she saw in it.

I think we'll be going to documentary night more often. Last month was about bees, but we had to skip it; waiting to find out what next month's topic will be.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4990 on: October 26, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
Do you recall the name of the film, perchance?
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Jones

« Reply #4991 on: October 26, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
I had to check the library's FB page. It's "Samsara". Definitely excellent to the point that I watched, and I assume the rest is great too.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4992 on: October 26, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
J-word?  Jersey Girl?

Okay, never read it, but I am picturing some woman being offended by the word "Jersey" - because the only other word I can think of is a very badly mispronounced medical term...not that there aren't a lot of people out there who can and do mispronounce car, cat, dog, and other very short words.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

NyaChan

« Reply #4993 on: October 26, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
J-word?  Jersey Girl?

Okay, never read it, but I am picturing some woman being offended by the word "Jersey" - because the only other word I can think of is a very badly mispronounced medical term...not that there aren't a lot of people out there who can and do mispronounce car, cat, dog, and other very short words.....

I'm stumped too - what is the J-word?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4994 on: October 26, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
J-word?  Jersey Girl?

I'm stumped too - what is the J-word?

I'm assuming either the other word for donkey that begins with j, or a name for a solo - scrabble event.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter