Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 976739 times)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4995 on: October 26, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
Or the Deity's only son.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4996 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »
Or the Deity's only son.

This is it.  Took me a while to figure out what she was talking about, because she was talking about "swearing" in a way I assumed was more "profanity" than "taking the Lord's name in vain."

daen

« Reply #4997 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
Or the Deity's only son.

This is it.  Took me a while to figure out what she was talking about, because she was talking about "swearing" in a way I assumed was more "profanity" than "taking the Lord's name in vain."

Off-topic for a moment: I knew someone who bought mainstream DVDs to stock a "family" rental store. He would send them to a company that would edit out the non-family-friendly portions (swearing, nudity, violence) and send back the revised copy. I overheard him saying once that when he pre-screened Jersey Girl after its Bowdlerization (not that he used the term), it was choppy and incoherent, and still not family-friendly.
I said,"You tried cleaning up a Kevin Smith movie? When he's not being profane, he's being obscene or scatological!"
The guy blinked at me. "Aren't profane and obscene the same thing?"
So I explained that, in broad terms, profane referred to the disrespect of the sacred, obscene referred to indecency, and scatological referred to excrement.
So he said "I learned two things today. Profane and obscene aren't the same thing, and I should stay away from Kevin Smith movies."

/end threadjack

Snooks

« Reply #4998 on: October 26, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
Is this a book called Jersey Girl (can't find any reference to it online) or the movie?

I've only heard of the Kevin Smith movie and I can't imagine anyone thinking a Kevin Smith movie is something their child would want to watch.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4999 on: October 26, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
Is this a book called Jersey Girl (can't find any reference to it online) or the movie?

I've only heard of the Kevin Smith movie and I can't imagine anyone thinking a Kevin Smith movie is something their child would want to watch.

The movie.  Although I learned after that to mention if I knew anything about the movies she was letting her kids pick out, because often she'd take offense at the oddest little things.  (Not unheard-of things, just "I can't believe one person could be offended by everything on this list and still be willing to try watching movies" odd.)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5000 on: October 26, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »

The movie.  Although I learned after that to mention if I knew anything about the movies she was letting her kids pick out, because often she'd take offense at the oddest little things.  (Not unheard-of things, just "I can't believe one person could be offended by everything on this list and still be willing to try watching movies" odd.)

I still remember a friend from high school who would use India ink to black out sentences that she felt were "out of bounds".  One book that I borrowed had the better part of two pages blacked out.

I never could figure out a major plot point because the set up for it had been UNDER the ink - I never did figure out the main character's movitivation, because apparently the other sentences here & there in the book that were blacked out referred back to those two pages.  Nothing made any sense...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5001 on: October 26, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »

I still remember a friend from high school who would use India ink to black out sentences that she felt were "out of bounds".  One book that I borrowed had the better part of two pages blacked out.

I never could figure out a major plot point because the set up for it had been UNDER the ink - I never did figure out the main character's movitivation, because apparently the other sentences here & there in the book that were blacked out referred back to those two pages.  Nothing made any sense...

Including the friend in question!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5002 on: October 26, 2013, 10:37:01 PM »

Including the friend in question!

She probably remembered what she'd blacked out to get the plot point.  But in protecting everyone else from whatever was under the ink in her copy, she ruined the story.

I never did find another copy of that book at the local bookstore...that I can recall.  I no longer rememer enough to go looking for it ( cover, title, author, character, etc.).  Loosing the two pages lost too much momentum as I tried to figure things out..

And rather than protecting me from whatever was in there, I started trying to figure it out, looking for another copy at the used book store.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5003 on: October 26, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
There are many movies which, if one watches them edited, takes most of the fun out of viewing them, especially if they dub them with words that make little to no sense at all.  Not to mention, you can read their lips to know what was really said and often the dubbing voice is off enough to be distracting.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #5004 on: October 26, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
There are many movies which, if one watches them edited, takes most of the fun out of viewing them, especially if they dub them with words that make little to no sense at all.  Not to mention, you can read their lips to know what was really said and often the dubbing voice is off enough to be distracting.

"I have had it with these Monday Friday snakes..."

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5005 on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »

One of my past girlfriends used to do this.  Every book she owned was blacked out somewhere.  Luckily the library had copies of the exact same books she had defaced, so I could read them.

magicdomino

« Reply #5006 on: October 27, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »

I once watched an edited version of Blazing Saddles.  The bean scene was completely pointless, as all it showed was the men eating dinner while shifting restlessly.  No sound effects.

wheeitsme

« Reply #5007 on: October 27, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »

I once watched an edited version of Blazing Saddles.  The bean scene was completely pointless, as all it showed was the men eating dinner while shifting restlessly.  No sound effects.
I tried to imagine an edited version of Blazing Saddles.   Then my brain broke.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #5008 on: October 27, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »

I tried to imagine an edited version of Blazing Saddles.   Then my brain broke.

That's what I don't get... WHY would you put a movie on the air that you'd have to edit to the point of insanity and inanity?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5009 on: October 27, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »

The TV version was "I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday-to-Friday plane!"  Which was totally not in the same voice at ALL but made me completely crack up anyway  :P