Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186804 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5040 on: November 06, 2013, 08:51:43 PM »
The dealership that does Hyundai warranty work here is very good. When the recall happened a few months ago they made it incredibly easy to get scheduled,  all employees verbally verified t was the factory recall and the work was done in 20 minutes.

Redsoil

« Reply #5041 on: November 07, 2013, 05:43:01 AM »
Very glad that I don't get talked down to this way!  I can't imagine any dealership or mechanic thinking any of my vehicles "needed approval" from anyone other than myself!  Seems extremely strange to me that anyone would be like this in this day and age!  Does it seem to be mainly in the USA or do others in different countries have the same issues?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Margo

« Reply #5042 on: November 07, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
I'm in the UK and I've had it.

A couple of years ago I was visiting my sister. She was about to buy a new car. She had done her research and was 90% sure what she wanted, but wanted to test drive the specific model before she went ahead.  We unexpectedly had some free time and so went to the local main dealer for that make. They were not busy - there were 4 members of staff and one other customer. They completely ignored us when we arrived, then when they finally spoke to us they were  incredibly condescending and wrong (e.g. my sister mentioned a particular feature of the model she was interested in - they told her it didn't have that feature, and then that it did, but only as an add-on at extra cost (it came as standard, it was one of the things which distinguished the model she'd specifically expressed an interest in from the older model it was replacing)

After about 10 minutes we left, and she told them, and wrote to the manager of that outlet, to tell them exactly why, and that their sexist attitude had just lost them a 20,000 sale.

I also had it when I took my first car in for it's first service and MOT. I'd decided to go to the main dealer as I thought I'd be sure to get proper parts etc - they were really patronising, far more expensive than the small local garage I later went to, and didn't know what they were doing. (one example, they told me that there was no fault with my clutch - I had explained when I ook the car in that it was an intermittent problem, and described the circumstances in which it happened

mmswm

« Reply #5043 on: November 07, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »
Very glad that I don't get talked down to this way!  I can't imagine any dealership or mechanic thinking any of my vehicles "needed approval" from anyone other than myself!  Seems extremely strange to me that anyone would be like this in this day and age!  Does it seem to be mainly in the USA or do others in different countries have the same issues?

I've had this issue in both the US and Canada.  My car broke down on in Winnipeg and I got a similar attitude when I went to a parts store there.  I drive an older car, so I have a lot of experience breaking down in strange places.  This might not be a good thing, but since I'm comfortable tinkering with my car on the side of the road, I tend not to let the fact that my car likes to break down from time to time stop me from going where I want to go.

To be fair, I've run into a lot of really good places.  Actually, I recently emailed corporate for AutoZone to compliment them on he professionalism of the staff at the location I frequent.  If you're ever in Enumclaw, WA, I have the name of a fantastic mechanic who I would recommend to the entire world given half a chance.  He knew I was broke, so instead of charging me an arm and a leg to fix what was wrong, he taught me what I needed to know to fix it myself (it was something I hadn't encountered before).  There's a Firestone in Minneapolis, MN I'd also go back to.  I had to put new tires on my car, and told them right off the bat that I knew there were some things wrong with my car and rattled them off.  Of course they do their inspection, and the guy says "yes, you're right about X, Y, and Z, but we also found A, B and C.  Now, these things aren't critical, but since we were under there we thought you might like to know.  A and B are easy to fix and the best place to get parts around here is <store name>.  You need an engine jack to get to C.  Do you have access to one?"  In other words, they treated me professionally and respected my desires to do what I could to save money. 

Unfortunately, I've had far more experiences of the negative types. Either that, or they just stick out in my mind.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Redsoil

« Reply #5044 on: November 07, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
mmswm - now that's how it should be!  Good to hear positive stories about mechanics who are helpful.  Hopefully the trend will continue for you.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mmswm

« Reply #5045 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
Redsoil, I wouldn't say it's a trend, but random places that have treated me right.  But, yes, there are more places that do that now than there was for my grandmother 30 years ago, so that is a good thing.

I guess I'm just used to dealing with negative reactions to gender stereotypes.  As noted, my grandmother was an airplane mechanic.  My father played the flute in the marching band.  I'm a mathematician by education and have more male dominated interests than female dominated interests.  One of my sons is a ballet dancer.  In my family we don't give a fig what you're "supposed" to be interested in. We do what we want.  With that many generations defying stereotypes, you just get used to dealing with it.  Of course, that doesn't mean I can't name names and complain when a merchant doesn't treat its customers right!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5046 on: November 07, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »

I guess I'm just used to dealing with negative reactions to gender stereotypes.  As noted, my grandmother was an airplane mechanic.  My father played the flute in the marching band.  I'm a mathematician by education and have more male dominated interests than female dominated interests.  One of my sons is a ballet dancer.  In my family we don't give a fig what you're "supposed" to be interested in. We do what we want.  With that many generations defying stereotypes, you just get used to dealing with it.  Of course, that doesn't mean I can't name names and complain when a merchant doesn't treat its customers right!

Defying gender stereotypes is fun.  My mom's side of the family is good at it with regards to education; my mom, my grandmother and I are the ones with Master's degrees, in IT, Healthcare Management and Business Admin, respectively.  The only guys in my family who have Bachelor's degrees are my dad and my DH; Sociology/Psychology for my dad, History/CompSci for my DH (with sociology and history somehow being considered more "feminine" fields  ??? ).  Just last night, DH and I were at Ace Hardware for some picture hanging parts and I noticed they had toolboxes painted with a B-17 Flying Fortress (how awesome!).  The guy who was helping us heard me mention the toolbox and said something about the "pink leopard" one.  I said, "who cares about pink leopard stuff?  I'm talking about a B-17 Flying Fortress!".  Cue amazement from said guy, like a girl finding aviation history fun was just the craziest thing.  ::)

MissRose

« Reply #5047 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
My parents recently got a new lawn tractor from one place as they were offered the best deal.   But for any service and parts, they prefer another place as they are a lot closer to them in terms of distance.  One person at the closer dealer gave my mother a hard time over the phone and insisted they go to the selling dealer for service items and parts.  My mother said she will call that place back and make sure they understand that no matter which dealer that they got their new tractor, they will go to the place closest for any service needs.  I let my mother know to say its poor customer service to insist that my parents drive 50+ miles to the selling dealer for parts and service needs compared to the other dealer that is 10 miles away.  Knowing my mother, she does not mince words to put it lightly.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5048 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »
Add my local Honda dealership to the list, and for the same reason as the Napa Auto Parts that I was venting about upthread.

By some chance did the dealership have "Sound" in their name and they were in Renton?  This is almost word for word what I got at thier Ford dealership and have heard many women complain about the same thing from other dealerships in the Sound auto family.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5049 on: November 07, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

I've never had that problem, myself. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I give off some kinda vibes or pheremones that keep creeps like that at bay.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mmswm

« Reply #5050 on: November 07, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »
Add my local Honda dealership to the list, and for the same reason as the Napa Auto Parts that I was venting about upthread.

By some chance did the dealership have "Sound" in their name and they were in Renton?  This is almost word for word what I got at thier Ford dealership and have heard many women complain about the same thing from other dealerships in the Sound auto family.

Opposite corner of the country.  :)

nuit93

« Reply #5051 on: November 07, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

My BF bought his first truck from them and nearly walked out because the salespeople were that bad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5052 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
All these stories of misogynistic employees made me very grateful when I went looking for a certain kind of bolt/screw today.  I was working on changing the crib to a toddler bed and all the hardware you'd need was supposed to be in the bag that came with the rest of it all, but there were only two of these bolts when there was supposedly 3.

Lowe's didn't have it but they suggested Fastenal, and told me how to get there.  So I went over there and they said "Well we don't have one quite like this" and were ready to order some for me.  I said okay, commented that I'd been hoping to get this done today for the little guys birthday, but what can you do when the company that made the crib doesn't include all the hardware you'll need?

Then another guy comes by and looks at this bolt and asks "Does it need to be the same color?" I said no and the guy handed me a black one that did look different but it would work and when I started going for my wallet and asked how much it was, he said "Forget it, consider it a birthday present for the little guy."

Yeah, I'll definitely be going back for future hardware needs! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #5053 on: November 07, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
All these stories of misogynistic employees made me very grateful when I went looking for a certain kind of bolt/screw today.  I was working on changing the crib to a toddler bed and all the hardware you'd need was supposed to be in the bag that came with the rest of it all, but there were only two of these bolts when there was supposedly 3.

Lowe's didn't have it but they suggested Fastenal, and told me how to get there.  So I went over there and they said "Well we don't have one quite like this" and were ready to order some for me.  I said okay, commented that I'd been hoping to get this done today for the little guys birthday, but what can you do when the company that made the crib doesn't include all the hardware you'll need?

Then another guy comes by and looks at this bolt and asks "Does it need to be the same color?" I said no and the guy handed me a black one that did look different but it would work and when I started going for my wallet and asked how much it was, he said "Forget it, consider it a birthday present for the little guy."

Yeah, I'll definitely be going back for future hardware needs! :)
That is how to keep a customer!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5054 on: November 07, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »

I've never had that problem, myself. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I give off some kinda vibes or pheremones that keep creeps like that at bay.
This last time we bought a car (18months ago) was the first time in 40 years that the agent at the car dealership hasn't shown me the vanity mirror in the flap.  (What the heck is that thing called, anyway?  That flap that you flip down to keep the sun out of your eyes?)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~