Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1141721 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5040 on: November 06, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
The Mitsubishi dealership near me has always treated me with contempt and acted like I knew nothing as well.  They finally got a new manager and last time I went in I almost fell over at how nice they were.  My next car will be a Hyundai though.  The dealerships around here get pretty positive reviews and I have had my heart set on an Elantra for quite awhile.  And even though they may have reformed, I will never buy a Mitsubishi again (the car has had an insane amount of problems in any case).

HA - the first car I bought on my own was a used Misubishi. I hated it. Transmission blew 2 months out of warranty and cost me an arm and a leg to fix. it eventually died a slow and painful death, but at that time the radio was dead, and one of my power windows also was. Plus, I got hit 4 times in that car. Rear-ended three, and broadsided by a deer.

mmswm

« Reply #5041 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »
Update: the general manager if the dealership called back. He seemed to take my complaint seriously. He did try to say that the parts manager was a very dry, monotone type, but I explained that there was a definite change in tone once I mentioned what was wrong with the car. I told him about my experience with the next dealership north, and told him I honestly didn't know what he could do to get my business back, as the other place clearly deserved my money more, but I also felt that he deserved to know what happened so that maybe he could take action to prevent driving other customers north.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5042 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »
I have two mechanics. My main mechanic is a friend of my mom's, he's great, but often very busy. My second mechanic is a friend I made a temp job, she's fantastic, but also works at a garage and can get busy at times. So when Mechanic A and Mechanic B aren't available I have a local shop I go to. They're awesome. They're a little pricier then other shops in the area, anywhere else an oil change will run me between $20-$25, they usually are $35, in less I have a coupon (and I usually have a coupon). I go to them because they're honest, fair, they explain things to me without talking down to me and they simply are good at what they do. I send everyone I know to them with the explanation that "They're great, they are a little on the pricey side, but they won't try to sell to you. If they tell you need to get something done, you need to get it done".

Well one day I needed an oil change. A and B were out, B was out of town and A was very busy. The shop was also pretty busy and didn't think they could squeeze me in. No big deal. It's an oil change, there's only one place I won't go to for an oil change (a tire shop that managed to screw up an alignment, then deny it was an alignment problem and tried to get me to pay thousands of dollars for work I didn't need that wouldn't fix the problem). So I grab a cuopon I've gotten for a AAA oil change. It's AAA I think, they know what they're doing. And they did, they didn't break anything at all. However they assumed that because I was born female I barely know how to turn my car on.

When I go up to pay they say "Well missy, you gotta a lot of work that needs to be done", really? Cause three separate mechanics say otherwise. "First, your driver's side brake light is out", oh I didn't know that, ok no big deal lights go out easy enough for me to fix. "Second, your passenger blinker is gonna go soon, it's blinking really fast", yes, that I knew and also knew it was an indication my light would go soon, I'll get that when I get my brake light fixed. "Third, looks like somehow a plastic got wrapped around you *I cannot remember what he said!!*, you gotta get that fixed right away or it'll cause problems. Probably happened when you were at a mall, I know you women love shopping!", that was necessary because? "And finally, you got a big ol' crack in your windshield. Now you might now this, but it's not gonna fix itself"....seriously? Cracked windshields don't fix themselves? I had no idea. Also I don't think that needed to be on the report, it was pretty obvious I'd already seen it (and made an appointment to have it fixed the following day with a glass place), but obviously they were trying to up sell me. When I asked him for a printed list of these problems to look over he says "Well, sure, I guess you gotta discuss it with your husband or dad, huh? Whoever the man in your life is" to which I said "No, my licensed mechanic, she's fantastic".

I took the car to the regular shop for the bag issue, they handled it very quickly and charged me nothing. In fact the guy remarked he couldn't believe they didn't just take it off when they were doing the oil change. And I went to my preferred parts store and got the needed lights. And then never ever ever went back to get an oil change from that AAA shop. Somehow my car still drove even with all those big massive problems.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5043 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
^ Honestly, other than the way he talked down to you, I don't see much problem. All of his recommendations were valid. I do think the comment about your mechanic, she, has been consulted was great! I hope you told him you were taking care of the lights yourself, by the way.

My dream is to go to the repair shop alone, because Lucas stereotypically takes care of these things, and say, "Ooo! I must talk to my daddy about that!" (I'm 68, a pretty much look it.  >:D)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5044 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »
^ Honestly, other than the way he talked down to you, I don't see much problem. All of his recommendations were valid. I do think the comment about your mechanic, she, has been consulted was great! I hope you told him you were taking care of the lights yourself, by the way.

My dream is to go to the repair shop alone, because Lucas stereotypically takes care of these things, and say, "Ooo! I must talk to my daddy about that!" (I'm 68, a pretty much look it.  >:D)

It was mostly the tone, as if I was brand new to driving a car and couldn't fathom how to make it work. Though when I dropped it off I was told there was a real nice nail salon I could go to while I got my car fixed. Which would fine. Had I asked about getting my nails done or if there was something to do near by. I hadn't.

I was annoyed by the windshield part. It was a noticeable crack. I basically would've had to not been looking at the windshield to not notice it. If he'd say "There's a crack in the windshield and we can fix it" it would've been different. But the, obviously you have no idea about how cracked windshields work, bugged me.

I'm still not sure why they didn't remove the plastic bag. According to my mechanic it probably would've been in their way while they did the oil change, which meant they had to work around it, rather than just remove it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5045 on: November 06, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

This was the other thing that I liked about the dealership where I bought my latest vehicle.  I'm single, 45 and not once did the salesman say anything about my husband.  Don't know whether he was observant and saw I wasn't wearing a ring or what.  He did call me sweetie at one point, caught himself and apologized.  But considering the man looked like Santa Claus and about as old, I wasn't offended.  He also thought I was much younger, which is normal for me.

(Seriously, he looked like Santa Claus.  He takes most of December off to do all sorts of events, dressed as Santa, including a party they throw at the dealership for customers and their kids.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #5046 on: November 06, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
I always loved going to car repair places with my grandmother.  She got to a certain point in her life that even though she could do the work, she didn't want to and she had the money to pay somebody, so she did. To understand why this is so amusing, one must understand my grandmother.  She was NOT a nice lady.  Iron Clad Femaledog is a better term. She was also an airplane mechanic in her younger days.  In the Army Air Corps, back when it was called that (before it was spun off into it's own branch).  During WWII she was stationed on a medivac route with a regular men's unit. You an imagine the type of personality she had to have in order to pull that off.  She also held several patents for various aircraft tools.  All that to say this: she knew what she was talking about.

It never failed when she went to a new place.  Some condescending male would talk down to her like she was a moron who couldn't think past her next manicure.  She'd listen for a bit, and then go into a tirade that would make the devil himself cry.  Ehell would not approve, but it was funny to watch her reduce even the most hardened misogynist to tears.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5047 on: November 06, 2013, 08:51:43 PM »
The dealership that does Hyundai warranty work here is very good. When the recall happened a few months ago they made it incredibly easy to get scheduled,  all employees verbally verified t was the factory recall and the work was done in 20 minutes.

Redsoil

« Reply #5048 on: November 07, 2013, 05:43:01 AM »
Very glad that I don't get talked down to this way!  I can't imagine any dealership or mechanic thinking any of my vehicles "needed approval" from anyone other than myself!  Seems extremely strange to me that anyone would be like this in this day and age!  Does it seem to be mainly in the USA or do others in different countries have the same issues?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Margo

« Reply #5049 on: November 07, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
I'm in the UK and I've had it.

A couple of years ago I was visiting my sister. She was about to buy a new car. She had done her research and was 90% sure what she wanted, but wanted to test drive the specific model before she went ahead.  We unexpectedly had some free time and so went to the local main dealer for that make. They were not busy - there were 4 members of staff and one other customer. They completely ignored us when we arrived, then when they finally spoke to us they were  incredibly condescending and wrong (e.g. my sister mentioned a particular feature of the model she was interested in - they told her it didn't have that feature, and then that it did, but only as an add-on at extra cost (it came as standard, it was one of the things which distinguished the model she'd specifically expressed an interest in from the older model it was replacing)

After about 10 minutes we left, and she told them, and wrote to the manager of that outlet, to tell them exactly why, and that their sexist attitude had just lost them a 20,000 sale.

I also had it when I took my first car in for it's first service and MOT. I'd decided to go to the main dealer as I thought I'd be sure to get proper parts etc - they were really patronising, far more expensive than the small local garage I later went to, and didn't know what they were doing. (one example, they told me that there was no fault with my clutch - I had explained when I ook the car in that it was an intermittent problem, and described the circumstances in which it happened

mmswm

« Reply #5050 on: November 07, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »
Very glad that I don't get talked down to this way!  I can't imagine any dealership or mechanic thinking any of my vehicles "needed approval" from anyone other than myself!  Seems extremely strange to me that anyone would be like this in this day and age!  Does it seem to be mainly in the USA or do others in different countries have the same issues?

I've had this issue in both the US and Canada.  My car broke down on in Winnipeg and I got a similar attitude when I went to a parts store there.  I drive an older car, so I have a lot of experience breaking down in strange places.  This might not be a good thing, but since I'm comfortable tinkering with my car on the side of the road, I tend not to let the fact that my car likes to break down from time to time stop me from going where I want to go.

To be fair, I've run into a lot of really good places.  Actually, I recently emailed corporate for AutoZone to compliment them on he professionalism of the staff at the location I frequent.  If you're ever in Enumclaw, WA, I have the name of a fantastic mechanic who I would recommend to the entire world given half a chance.  He knew I was broke, so instead of charging me an arm and a leg to fix what was wrong, he taught me what I needed to know to fix it myself (it was something I hadn't encountered before).  There's a Firestone in Minneapolis, MN I'd also go back to.  I had to put new tires on my car, and told them right off the bat that I knew there were some things wrong with my car and rattled them off.  Of course they do their inspection, and the guy says "yes, you're right about X, Y, and Z, but we also found A, B and C.  Now, these things aren't critical, but since we were under there we thought you might like to know.  A and B are easy to fix and the best place to get parts around here is <store name>.  You need an engine jack to get to C.  Do you have access to one?"  In other words, they treated me professionally and respected my desires to do what I could to save money. 

Unfortunately, I've had far more experiences of the negative types. Either that, or they just stick out in my mind.

Redsoil

« Reply #5051 on: November 07, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
mmswm - now that's how it should be!  Good to hear positive stories about mechanics who are helpful.  Hopefully the trend will continue for you.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

mmswm

« Reply #5052 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
Redsoil, I wouldn't say it's a trend, but random places that have treated me right.  But, yes, there are more places that do that now than there was for my grandmother 30 years ago, so that is a good thing.

I guess I'm just used to dealing with negative reactions to gender stereotypes.  As noted, my grandmother was an airplane mechanic.  My father played the flute in the marching band.  I'm a mathematician by education and have more male dominated interests than female dominated interests.  One of my sons is a ballet dancer.  In my family we don't give a fig what you're "supposed" to be interested in. We do what we want.  With that many generations defying stereotypes, you just get used to dealing with it.  Of course, that doesn't mean I can't name names and complain when a merchant doesn't treat its customers right!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5053 on: November 07, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »

I guess I'm just used to dealing with negative reactions to gender stereotypes.  As noted, my grandmother was an airplane mechanic.  My father played the flute in the marching band.  I'm a mathematician by education and have more male dominated interests than female dominated interests.  One of my sons is a ballet dancer.  In my family we don't give a fig what you're "supposed" to be interested in. We do what we want.  With that many generations defying stereotypes, you just get used to dealing with it.  Of course, that doesn't mean I can't name names and complain when a merchant doesn't treat its customers right!

Defying gender stereotypes is fun.  My mom's side of the family is good at it with regards to education; my mom, my grandmother and I are the ones with Master's degrees, in IT, Healthcare Management and Business Admin, respectively.  The only guys in my family who have Bachelor's degrees are my dad and my DH; Sociology/Psychology for my dad, History/CompSci for my DH (with sociology and history somehow being considered more "feminine" fields  ??? ).  Just last night, DH and I were at Ace Hardware for some picture hanging parts and I noticed they had toolboxes painted with a B-17 Flying Fortress (how awesome!).  The guy who was helping us heard me mention the toolbox and said something about the "pink leopard" one.  I said, "who cares about pink leopard stuff?  I'm talking about a B-17 Flying Fortress!".  Cue amazement from said guy, like a girl finding aviation history fun was just the craziest thing.  ::)

MissRose

« Reply #5054 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
My parents recently got a new lawn tractor from one place as they were offered the best deal.   But for any service and parts, they prefer another place as they are a lot closer to them in terms of distance.  One person at the closer dealer gave my mother a hard time over the phone and insisted they go to the selling dealer for service items and parts.  My mother said she will call that place back and make sure they understand that no matter which dealer that they got their new tractor, they will go to the place closest for any service needs.  I let my mother know to say its poor customer service to insist that my parents drive 50+ miles to the selling dealer for parts and service needs compared to the other dealer that is 10 miles away.  Knowing my mother, she does not mince words to put it lightly.