Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1170446 times)

IMissItaly

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5055 on: November 07, 2013, 03:30:34 PM »
The sun visor!  :D

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5056 on: November 07, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
Very glad that I don't get talked down to this way!  I can't imagine any dealership or mechanic thinking any of my vehicles "needed approval" from anyone other than myself!  Seems extremely strange to me that anyone would be like this in this day and age!  Does it seem to be mainly in the USA or do others in different countries have the same issues?

I've never had that problem, myself. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I give off some kinda vibes or pheremones that keep creeps like that at bay.
This last time we bought a car (18months ago) was the first time in 40 years that the agent at the car dealership hasn't shown me the vanity mirror in the flap.  (What the heck is that thing called, anyway?  That flap that you flip down to keep the sun out of your eyes?)

I call it a visor.

The first time I went looking at buying a car, I got shown the light up mirror and the cup holders! Look at the cup holders!!

mmswm

« Reply #5057 on: November 07, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
Something else went wrong with my car today.  Guess who WON'T be getting a call from me?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5058 on: November 07, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
The sun visor!  :D
Thanks!  I KNEW it had a name, but that sieve that I call my brain just wasn't bringing it up.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

cwm

« Reply #5059 on: November 07, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
Very glad that I don't get talked down to this way!  I can't imagine any dealership or mechanic thinking any of my vehicles "needed approval" from anyone other than myself!  Seems extremely strange to me that anyone would be like this in this day and age!  Does it seem to be mainly in the USA or do others in different countries have the same issues?

I've never had that problem, myself. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I give off some kinda vibes or pheremones that keep creeps like that at bay.
This last time we bought a car (18months ago) was the first time in 40 years that the agent at the car dealership hasn't shown me the vanity mirror in the flap.  (What the heck is that thing called, anyway?  That flap that you flip down to keep the sun out of your eyes?)

I call it a visor.

The first time I went looking at buying a car, I got shown the light up mirror and the cup holders! Look at the cup holders!!

When I bought a car, it was through used car lots. Went off to the first lot, I told the salesman I was looking for a stick shift with automatic door locks and windows. That was literally my entire list of things I needed on my car. Three items. Half the cars he showed me were missing at least one of the items. One of them was an automatic with manual door locks and windows, the exact opposite of what I wanted.

I went to another lot and they were upfront with me, saying they didn't have very many manual transmissions, but they'd show me what they had. They treated me like an old friend and explained why they were showing me cars that didn't have X feature, or weren't exactly what I was looking at. Then they let me take the test drive and didn't point out all the extraneous features (visor mirror! cupholders! storage space in the console!). Guess who I got my car from?

IWish

« Reply #5060 on: November 07, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
A certain car dealership in town.

I hate car shopping but had narrowed down my choice to a certain model, either brand new or less than a year old. Go to the dealership closest to my house. Walked around the lot a bit to see what they had first then a salesman approached me and DH. Strike One: salesman would ask a question to DH and I would answer (the car was mine, DH was just along for the ride.) Repeat multiple times until DH finally said "Why don't you just ask her, it's HER car." Strike Two: salesman kept insisting they had my model in white on the lot. I told him I didn't see it when walking around. He kept pointing to a certain white car. I had to tell him that was a totally different model. Think Civic versus Accord. Strike Three: test drove a used one and while sitting in the lot with the car running it was obvious that the air conditioner wasn't working properly, critical in my hot climate! When I mentioned it to the salesman he stated that the a/c on cars doesn't start cooling until the vehicle is in motion. DH couldn't help himself and did the *cough*Bullcrud*cough* from the back seat. Salesman tried to backtrack and said "Well, that's okay the car is still under warranty." That was the final strike, because if I'm buying an expensive <1 year old car from your dealership, I would expect that YOU have already fixed it. Therefore I cannot trust that any of your cars to not have mechanical problems. The correct answer would have been "I'll have our service department check it out as soon as we're done here."

And I keep getting calls from this salesman. Part of me wants to call the dealership manager and tell him my experience. This was a young salesman (admitted he'd only been on the job for 3 months.) I wouldn't be calling to complain, per se, but to give him a heads up that this young guy needs more training and mentoring. He's not going to succeed unless he gets it and he might just be a great salesman one day if properly trained.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5061 on: November 07, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
And I keep getting calls from this salesman. Part of me wants to call the dealership manager and tell him my experience. This was a young salesman (admitted he'd only been on the job for 3 months.) I wouldn't be calling to complain, per se, but to give him a heads up that this young guy needs more training and mentoring. He's not going to succeed unless he gets it and he might just be a great salesman one day if properly trained.

I'd definitely let the dealership manager or the sales manager (or both!) know. He doesn't know how to respond to problems, he isn't familiar with their inventory, and he isn't giving the best customer service he can. If one sales guy leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth, do you want to go back to that dealership?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5062 on: November 07, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »

I call it a visor.

When I bought a car, it was through used car lots. Went off to the first lot, I told the salesman I was looking for a stick shift with automatic door locks and windows. That was literally my entire list of things I needed on my car. Three items. Half the cars he showed me were missing at least one of the items. One of them was an automatic with manual door locks and windows, the exact opposite of what I wanted.

I went to another lot and they were upfront with me, saying they didn't have very many manual transmissions, but they'd show me what they had. They treated me like an old friend and explained why they were showing me cars that didn't have X feature, or weren't exactly what I was looking at. Then they let me take the test drive and didn't point out all the extraneous features (visor mirror! cupholders! storage space in the console!). Guess who I got my car from?
It wasn't that I have an objection to the pointing out of extraneous features (especially when they're so ubiquitous as to be standard equipment!) as the attitude behind it.  Literally the ONLY time the salesman would address something to me directly would be to show me the vanity mirror.  Because, y'know, the ONLY feature of a car that a woman might be interested in is a makeup mirror.  ::) And I don't wear any, which a salesman should have been able to tell if he'd just looked at me.

I will admit that I have used the vanity mirror, but not to put on makeup.  It works very nicely to help keep an eye on the toddlers in the back seat.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mmswm

« Reply #5063 on: November 07, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
I have a short list of features I look for in a car:

-Manual Transmission
-Power locks and windows
-A/C
-Cup holder big enough to fit my coffee mug.

Last time I went shopping for a car, I brought the mug with me.  It got a few chuckles.  I also had the experience of salesmen and sellers talking to my father instead of me. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

nuit93

« Reply #5064 on: November 07, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
I have a short list of features I look for in a car:

-Manual Transmission
-Power locks and windows
-A/C
-Cup holder big enough to fit my coffee mug.

Last time I went shopping for a car, I brought the mug with me.  It got a few chuckles.  I also had the experience of salesmen and sellers talking to my father instead of me.

From what I observed buying my car last year, the A/C is pretty standard.  Same with power locks/windows.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5065 on: November 07, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
Just got back from the dealership after getting my snow tires installed.  So far so good.  I'd asked them to touch up a couple of dings I got in the roof due to an open sunroof, a styrofoam ball attached to the ceiling for garage positioning for the old car and a menopause moment when I went to leave the garage.  I also needed to get the auto lights sensor adjusted because the lights weren't coming on when I needed them to.

I expected the tire installation to be free because I'd purchased the tires there.  But I did expect to pay for the touch-up and they gave me two little tubes of the touch-up paint in case I have any more little mishaps.  No charge.  And then the mechanic hopped in the passenger seat with me and talked me through how to adjust the sensor myself so that if I didn't like how sensitive it was, I'd know how to change it back again.

So far, so good.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

redsfan

« Reply #5066 on: November 08, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »
I went to a computer store to get a printer.  I wandered for a bit, and the salesman finally noticed me.  He said, "Can I help you?"  As I started to say, "I need a printer with-" he cut me off to greet a male.  I'm a female.  I waited for him to finish his conversation, and he did help me after that.  I brought the printer, but I wasn't excited about it.  This was last week.

Went back today looking for a cable.  Different salesman.  Same flipping thing.  Another woman was standing nearby, looking at things like she needed something, but no one offered to help her. 

I took the printer back.  Never again.  Silly me, I didn't know I needed "equipment" to have value as a customer.  I know these guys work on commission too, so I don't get it.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5067 on: November 08, 2013, 02:15:56 AM »

This story reminded me of why we didn't buy from one dealership, in kind of an 'opposites' way.

My wife had never bought a new car before.  Most of the cars she has had she bought badly used and then rebuilt/restored.  But she decided a brand new car would be fun to own once, so she researched what she wanted and narrowed it down to a few different make/model she was interested in checking out. 

One of them was a Honda, so we went on down to the local Honda dealership to check out the one she was interested in looking at and we got a new salesman.  And he was awesome.  Listened to everything she said about what she was looking for, showed her the exact model and then his manager stepped in.  Sent the new salesman away, decided my wife needed a sedan, only talked to me until I told him he needed to be talking to her.

He completely lost the sale.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5068 on: November 08, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
That's just plain stupid. Was he being paid under the table to sabotage the dealership, or something?

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

o_gal

« Reply #5069 on: November 08, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »
This was a young salesman (admitted he'd only been on the job for 3 months.) I wouldn't be calling to complain, per se, but to give him a heads up that this young guy needs more training and mentoring.

Sometimes it's the older salesmen who need a refresher. When I bought my car, the first salesman (who was an older guy in his 50's) was so bad it was actually funny. First, on the test drive, he didn't want to talk about the car, he only wanted to talk about how he had become a salesman and what all he had gone through to be one. At the time I thought it was odd but maybe it was some sales technique to make you feel all chummy or something with your salesman. Next, even when we were back at the lot and my DH was also talking with him, he didn't want to talk about any of the features of the car. He just wanted to talk about how great the dealership was and what kind of deals I could get. Finally, I had noticed that while all the cars on the lot were in silver and metallic bronze color, the brochure showed 2 other really cool looking colors and I asked about them. He described them and I really wanted to see what they looked like, so he suggested that I just stop by another dealer to see if they had any before returning to buy the car through him. Then when writing down details about what I might want (they were going to have to bring in a car from another dealership), he said "So, you want either the silver and bronze metallic".

We walked out without committing to anything, and I then did the deal through an online service, which was routed to another salesman at the dealership. He looked up records and found that I had already dealt with salesman #1 and did I want to continue with him? I told him no and exactly why. Salesman #2 said that I was not the first to walk out on salesman #1 and work with another salesman. I wonder just how the guy was keeping his job.