Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1101567 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5145 on: November 29, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »
It isn't really a case of never shopping there again but they have certainly taken me out of the rotation for regular visits.

My little local yarn shop.

They advertised a 'Black Friday' sale.  Why Canadian stores a long way from the border are doing this, I'll never know.  I needed a ball of yarn to finish my Christmas projects and other yarns for some upcoming projects.  Of course, none of the yarns that worked for me were on sale.  It was a very few select yarns that were on sale and this set of 'grab bags' that didn't interest me for the price they wanted.

And to top it all off, they no longer sell any lower end brands.  Everything is high end.  I don't generally use higher end yarns because of the expense and because most of the people I knit for wouldn't appreciate it.  Plus, I knit for small kids.  I'm not knitting something that will be outgrown in a year with $15/ball yarn.

So now, I have to find somewhere to buy yarn at reasonable prices.  I used to buy yarn at Zeller's but they've all closed down.  I won't shop at WalMart (do they have a craft section?) and there is no Target in my city, either.  That leaves me with Micheals, which is located in a part of town that is a pain in the neck to get to and you take your life into your hands trying to drive in that part of town with all the crazy drivers.

I'll still patronize them if I want a really good quality yarn for a specific project but otherwise?  I won't be going there any more.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sevenday

« Reply #5146 on: November 29, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »
Walmart does have a craft section and does sell yarn online (and ship to store, etc) - you could try places like knitpicks.com, etc for online yarn shopping?  It's not quite the same since you don't get to compare colors against each other, feel it before you buy, etc, but... it's something?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5147 on: November 29, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »
Walmart does have a craft section and does sell yarn online (and ship to store, etc) - you could try places like knitpicks.com, etc for online yarn shopping?  It's not quite the same since you don't get to compare colors against each other, feel it before you buy, etc, but... it's something?
NO.  Not knitpicks.  They don't give a rat's patootie about their customers.  They had a hacker penetrate their customer database and gain access to credit card numbers, etc.  That wasn't the NeverAgain problem, though.  The NeverAgain was that they didn't bother to notify any of the customers whose cards had been compromised.  They discovered the breach last December, and didn't even acknowledge it until mid-February, well AFTER their customers had a whole raft of fraudulent charges on their cards.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5148 on: November 29, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
I'm in Canada so I have to go with Canadian retailers or end up paying duty and all that fun stuff, which I'd rather avoid.

I actually do a lot of my yarn shopping on kijiji (like Craigslist) and buy up other people's stashes.   ;D

But thanks for the heads up about knitpicks!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sevenday

« Reply #5149 on: November 29, 2013, 02:59:25 PM »
Eeew... Okay, not knitpicks then.  Another online place.  I don't buy enough yarn, either online or locally, to be able to offer anything else... but I do agree that it does suck when places become "high end" when there's nothing else around.  You'd think they would want to broaden their customer base by having things at different price points, especially if the market is sparse in their area.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #5150 on: November 29, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
Maybe michaels.com? (or joann's or hobby lobby)  Not sure if they have a Canada division or whatever so you wouldn't have to pay extra.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5151 on: November 29, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
We've got Micheals and I can go there.  I may end up starting to order off the Mary Maxim website again.  We have one in Paris, Ontario so I don't have to worry about duty.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5152 on: November 29, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
We've got Micheals and I can go there.  I may end up starting to order off the Mary Maxim website again.  We have one in Paris, Ontario so I don't have to worry about duty.

If you have a Michael's near you and you are willing to give them your email address, they will absolutely bombard you with very generous and usable coupons! 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5153 on: November 29, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »
LOL.  I can clip coupons from the flyers every week, too.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5154 on: November 29, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »
http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/shop/ is a good site

Edited to fix the link
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:53:49 PM by PastryGoddess »

daen

« Reply #5155 on: November 29, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
DBNY.com is a good site

I just tried it, and ended up on teachkind.com instead.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5156 on: November 29, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
sorry about that you actually have to spell it out.  I use a bookmark in my browser to get to it and use the abbreviation.  I will go back and edit my original post as well

http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/shop/

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #5157 on: November 29, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »
For myself, DH, DSil, DN and his girlfriend, we were in Toronto doing some shopping for Black Friday, and had to stop at a Walmart, and there was a Popeyes Louisiana Chicken in the plaza, so we decided to stop in and have a bite to eat. Well where do I start? Let me see, I had ordered a 3 piece WHITE MEAT combo MILD with mashed potatoes  NO gravy, I see the lady putting gravy on my potatoes, I remind her, I requested no gravy, no big deal, right? I asked if I could please have some butter for the potatoes and biscuit, as the lady ahead of me was offered some for her corn, but the clerk SNAPPED at me, WE DON'T HAVE BUTTER, ok, no biggie. We get to our table, I discover that I was given ALL WINGS, so I bring my order back, explain to the counter person that I had ordered all white meat, and she got all snotty with me, trying to tell me that what I got WAS white meat, and then tried to back pedal and say that oh, you have to pay $1.30 extra for white meat. Keep in mind here, I had specified when I ordered, that I wanted all white meat. She then took one of the wings and replaced it, I get back to the table, she gave me spicy chicken! I didn't bother going back after that fiasco, turns out she and another employee were gossiping about DH and I VERY loudly in front of customers! Oh yes, DSIL's poutine was ice cold and wasn't any better when she asked for a replacement. We did ask to speak to a manager, but of course there wasn't one available, how convenient! Tried calling the phone number on the receipt, but there was no store number on there either.

That was my first time at a Popeyes, and definitely my last time!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5158 on: November 30, 2013, 07:51:42 AM »
Yesterday I was shopping for something very specific.  I found it on a website and called the brick and mortar store to see if it was still available.  This is not a chain, but an independent business (no Black Friday sales of any kind).  I called because all there were was photos, not available stock listed on the website.  After being assured that it was absolutely there, I drudged to my car, battling traffic to drive 30 miles to go get it.

I get there to find the product I wanted was not there.  I asked the guy at the counter and he's never seen product.  He goes to asked the owner who informs him that they've been out of stock for months and he only got 4 the last time he placed an order.  To top it off, he admitted that the website hadn't been updated for nearly a year. 

Why in the hell then did some idiot at your store tell me that what I wanted was there?  I would have never driven over if you didn't have it, especially with the crazy special event and Black Friday (Oh, I'm a pottymouth extraordinaire!) traffic I had to go through to get there.  The kicker is, I' m moving a few blocks a way from their business and probably would have spent a lot of money in there, but not now, not ever.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bethczar

« Reply #5159 on: November 30, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
For myself, DH, DSil, DN and his girlfriend, we were in Toronto doing some shopping for Black Friday, and had to stop at a Walmart, and there was a Popeyes Louisiana Chicken in the plaza, so we decided to stop in and have a bite to eat. Well where do I start? Let me see, I had ordered a 3 piece WHITE MEAT combo MILD with mashed potatoes  NO gravy, I see the lady putting gravy on my potatoes, I remind her, I requested no gravy, no big deal, right? I asked if I could please have some butter for the potatoes and biscuit, as the lady ahead of me was offered some for her corn, but the clerk SNAPPED at me, WE DON'T HAVE BUTTER, ok, no biggie. We get to our table, I discover that I was given ALL WINGS, so I bring my order back, explain to the counter person that I had ordered all white meat, and she got all snotty with me, trying to tell me that what I got WAS white meat, and then tried to back pedal and say that oh, you have to pay $1.30 extra for white meat. Keep in mind here, I had specified when I ordered, that I wanted all white meat. She then took one of the wings and replaced it, I get back to the table, she gave me spicy chicken! I didn't bother going back after that fiasco, turns out she and another employee were gossiping about DH and I VERY loudly in front of customers! Oh yes, DSIL's poutine was ice cold and wasn't any better when she asked for a replacement. We did ask to speak to a manager, but of course there wasn't one available, how convenient! Tried calling the phone number on the receipt, but there was no store number on there either.

That was my first time at a Popeyes, and definitely my last time!
Well, wings are considered white meat. But I've never heard of anyone being given just wings in a white meat meal.