Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1106850 times)

Erich L-ster

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5160 on: November 30, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »
I've never heard of wings being considered white meat. They're categorized as dark meat by everyone I've ever known (in the U.S.). Is it different outside of the U.S.?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5161 on: November 30, 2013, 08:45:41 PM »
I've never heard of wings being considered white meat. They're categorized as dark meat by everyone I've ever known (in the U.S.). Is it different outside of the U.S.?

I've always thought of them as a category of their own.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5162 on: November 30, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
When you order a white meat quarter chicken dinner at Swiss Chalet, you get the breast with the wing attached.

But if I ordered a 3 piece white meat meal and got three wings?  I'd be pretty ticked.  There isn't exactly a lot of meat on the wing.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #5163 on: November 30, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
I used to work in a deli; the light meat chicken meal came with a breast and a wing, and the dark meat came with a leg and a thigh.

I'd be upset if I ordered a 3-piece white meat meal and paid extra for it and got three chicken wings. Not OK.

MissRose

« Reply #5164 on: December 02, 2013, 07:56:18 AM »
If I did not have to deal with UPS as a few of my favorite retailers use them for shipping... grrr. 

I ordered the last part of my mother's present.  I got the notice via UPS about estimated delivery date and time.  Of course, UPS does not think that some people do work day shifts and/or cannot have things delivered to their office for a start.  I tried to do the will call pickup, and the website says $3.50 for the privilege.  I my have to bite the bullet and pay up....Good Grief!!!!

SCMagnolia

« Reply #5165 on: December 02, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
Gotta rant again about our mail carrier (I posted about this earlier -- she was leaving packages sit in the middle of the driveway.)

Back about the end of September, there was an envelope in my mailbox that was not intended for my address.  So I put it back in the box for the carrier to pick up and re-deliver.  Two days later, it shows up in my box again.  I leave it in the box to be delivered to the correct address and two days later....  Yep.  There it is again.  So I circle the address and write a big note that it was NOT my address, please re-deliver to the CORRECT address.

That envelope sat in my mailbox for well over 2 weeks before it finally disappeared.  (I can't get to the post office during the week thanks to their very late opening and very early closing times and I wasn't home on weekends to take it to the post office then.)

This weekend, I go to the box to pick up the mail, and in the cornfield there behind the box, I see an envelope.  So I hike down to get it, thinking it was something for me that had blown out of the box.  Nope.  Original envelope that never got delivered to the correct address.  The carrier apparently got tired of seeing it in the box so she just threw it down into the field. 

I came in late to work today just so I could take that envelope to the post office and tell them the whole saga about it and where it was eventually found. 

Someone's gettin' in trooooouuuuuubbbbbbbleeeeee!!!!!! 

Betelnut

« Reply #5166 on: December 02, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »

No (US here)--wings are white meat.  But when ordering "white meat" you shouldn't just get wings.  A "white meat" order could include one wing but it should have breasts too!

Still, I love me Popeyes so I think I would avoid that server and keep on going!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

MissRose

« Reply #5167 on: December 02, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
If I ask for all white meat chicken, I presume that means breast pieces.  Most places like KFC do it that way , at least the ones I've been to.

No (US here)--wings are white meat.  But when ordering "white meat" you shouldn't just get wings.  A "white meat" order could include one wing but it should have breasts too!

Still, I love me Popeyes so I think I would avoid that server and keep on going!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5168 on: December 02, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
I've never heard of wings being white meat either. It's always been considered dark meat in my experience. I prefer dark meat, so that's what I usually ask for :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5169 on: December 02, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
Wings are considered white meat in the Southern US and are such a delicacy that there are wing meals available at all fried chicken restaurants.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5170 on: December 02, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
Wings are considered white meat in the Southern US and are such a delicacy

So are pork rinds.  :P

(Sorry, it's been years since I've been able to good-naturedly needle Mom about her West Virginia heritage.)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5171 on: December 02, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
The Popeye's in our town is a franchise - I don't know if all of them are but I wouldn't rule out all Popeye's just because of one (bad) location.

Petticoats

« Reply #5172 on: December 03, 2013, 01:04:45 AM »
Wings are considered white meat in the Southern US and are such a delicacy that there are wing meals available at all fried chicken restaurants.

Atlanta native here, and I've never heard wings categorized as either white meat or a delicacy. Popular casual fare, yes.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5173 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
The meatiest part of the wing is actually meat cut from the breast, so I would consider them white meat. If I asked for all white meat at a fried chicken place, it wouldn't surprise me to get a mix of breasts and wings, but it would surprise me to get just wings. If I asked for all dark meat, I'd be annoyed if that included wings.

I can't say if they do it this way at Popeyes (there isn't one anywhere near me), but at KFC they have a 1-piece meal with sides that they specifically say is one breast (presumably to avoid the prospect of getting a wing or a drumstick as your one piece of chicken). When I order one of those types of meals, I usually get a 2-piece and specify that I want a thigh and a drumstick, since I prefer dark meat but don't really want either two thighs (too much) or two drumsticks (not enough).

I also know that a lot of fast food restaurants in general are franchised, so I wouldn't necessarily judge an entire chain on a single location, if the issue was primarily the service and not the food itself.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5174 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
I think Walmart has finally done me wrong for the last time...

BG: Last year we were not allowed to get in line for anything earlier than two hours before the sale time.  This year they used a different format on Thursday for different items.   

(1) Monday before Thanksgiving they had an ad for the Leap Pad for $39 at 8:00 am, at 8:10 there weren't any and there wasn't anyone in that department.  The store was very busy and I went on to my office and got on the phone trying to find out if I could get a rain check .  First they couldn't get anyone in toys to answer, then finally I got an uninterested young person; she was clueless about Leap Pads and would not give me her name, then I was transferred to Amanda.  Amanda said she was the day manager and she really couldn't help me, her exact words, "too bad, so sad.  Apparently, we only got a few of these, like maybe 8 and we don't give rain checks on Black Friday specials."  I asked to speak to her supervisor and she said Chris wasn't available, who is Chris I asked, she said the store manager.  Then I asked who was over him and she said no one -"really, I said, he doesn't answer to anyone?  Is there a district manager?"  You mean Kevin?  I said, "Amanda, your lack of helpfulness is overwhelming, is Kevin the district manager?"  Yes.  Where might I find Kevin?  Amanda said at one of his stores I guess.  Well what stores does he have?  His region she said.  "Oh my Goodness," I said, "which stores are in his region?"  I finally got a list of stores, thanked her and hung up.  I am writing to corporate and anyone else that will listen to me.  At this point it's not about the Leap Pad, it's about the uncooperative management.  I got the Leap Pad online - same matching price.     

(2) Their Black Friday deal had a 50" tv for under $300 (this was not in the 1 hour guaranteed special) that my daughter wanted in the Thursday, 8:00 pm sale.  We got to the store about 6:45, there was no line and were told they sold out about 6:30.  I said last year you wouldn't let us form a line more than two hours before the sale and this year you are already sold out?! She said we used wrist bands, after 5:00 you could ask for a wristband and then pick your tv up after 8:00 and we are out of wristbands already so we are sold out of the tv's.  I said, I would like to talk to someone else, someone in management.  My daughter and I (calmly and politely) told that person that last year we were only allowed to get in line 2 hours before the sale and this year they used a completely different format - starting 3 hours early.   He was incredibly abrupt and said this year they decided to try something different. I very calmly said, "you know it would be helpful to shoppers if you would let the public know what format you are going to use in the future.  No shopper should be expected to spend the day here because there is no consistency to the formats you use for these specials.  There is a line for some things, there are wristbands for others and I bought a couple of items online this morning already"  He never acknowledged my statement, just walked off.  Later we ran into a friend and she said she threw a screaming fit a few minutes ago and they got her a wristband - so apparently fits work, civility doesn't (and there were more 50" televisions somewhere else  ???

Some of the other sales in this same Walmart used a single file line until the item was sold out - it was different formats for different items - very frustrating. 

Now this tv was not available online, in stores only.  Two of the other items in that same sale ad, at the same advertised time, I bought online at 9:00 Thursday morning - again, no consistency to their sales formats. 

(3) Thursday evening when we got home I looked at their clothing sales (because you couldn't even get close to anything in that department in the store) and ordered 8 pairs of sweats and a couple of pairs of jeans at great prices.  I checked out online and went on to bed.  Yesterday I went online to check my account and find out when everything is going to be arriving at the store (couple of things not available for home shipping) and much to my shock and anger - none of the sweats or jeans are shipping, it shows the order as cancelled and out of stock!  Agghhh!

I get that Thursday/Friday are a nightmare for the retail employees, there was a group pepper sprayed and a young boy trampled at another Walmart nearby (we have 4 within a 30 mile range).  But some of these problems the retailer brings on themselves with this kind of inconsistency (I am not excusing the shoppers for their contributing bad behavior). 

I like the wristband idea as opposed to ripping off plastic wrap and letting it be a free for all, I also like the single file line, I've never had any problems standing patiently in a line.  Target shoppers lined up around the building and when the doors were open they allowed 20 shoppers to enter then paused and allowed another 20 in until they met what they consider their maximum capacity for safety.  And there is no store in this area with friendlier, more helpful employees than our Target (well Home Depot is pretty close). 

I live in an area where unemployment is still well under 4% (maybe closer to 2% even), if you want a job they are hiring everywhere.  Wages are top dollar in my area ($12 an hour at McDonald's) so I feel like employers are forced to keep bad employees on right now, I hate it.

But there is no excuse for management to behave this way.