Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1213234 times)

Psychopoesie

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5235 on: December 27, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Thanks siamesecat2965. I had a sneaking suspicion it was a corporate edict. Wonder if it works for more shoppers than not.

Personally, if I need help, I'll just ask and I'm quite happy as long as I don't have to mount an expedition to find a shop assistant.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5236 on: December 27, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
I have stopped shopping at the Yankee store for that reason.  Just leave me alone to sniff the blasted candles, already!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

z_squared82

« Reply #5237 on: December 27, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
I went shopping today.  Given that it's the day after Christmas, I expected long lines and crowded stores.  I was prepared for a long day.

My first stop was a specialty intimates store where I was properly fitted for bras.  I bought what I could with the gift certificate I had.  It was awesome.

My next stop was Macy's.  I had another gift certificate and I wanted to spend it on more bras.  Now, armed with the knowledge of my proper size, I set out to find bras that were pretty and that fit well.  My size is NOT an easy one to find (34G).  I know a couple different bra makers who do make that size, and Macy's carries them, so I started to look, but was having trouble.  There weren't too many people shopping in that department at that time, and I found a saleswoman who wasn't busy.  I asked her for help.  She was utterly useless.  I mentioned that I liked a particular style but that the biggest I could find it in was a 34DDD and asked if that style came in a 34G.  She looked it up, but then went and got a 36DDD off the shelf.  I repeated that I needed the 34 band size and that the 36 was simply too big.  She looked again and then went and found several other bras in a 36DDD.  Lather, rinse repeat.  I had to explain to her several times that a bigger band size wasn't going to work, and even explained bra sizing to her.  This, a woman who supposedly works in the intimates department!  After that, she just sort of disappeared.  I went off on my own and dug through every single bra in the entire department.  I did eventually find two that were the proper size.

I then went to the other end of the mall where I worked with the most wonderful sales associate at Bloomingdales.  It's the same parent company, but the sales people there are always so much more helpful and knowledgeable.  I give up on Macy's.

Random aside, if you have a Dillard's in your area, try there. They carry Le Mystere (sp?) that starts at a D cup.

mmswm

« Reply #5238 on: December 27, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »
I went shopping today.  Given that it's the day after Christmas, I expected long lines and crowded stores.  I was prepared for a long day.

My first stop was a specialty intimates store where I was properly fitted for bras.  I bought what I could with the gift certificate I had.  It was awesome.

My next stop was Macy's.  I had another gift certificate and I wanted to spend it on more bras.  Now, armed with the knowledge of my proper size, I set out to find bras that were pretty and that fit well.  My size is NOT an easy one to find (34G).  I know a couple different bra makers who do make that size, and Macy's carries them, so I started to look, but was having trouble.  There weren't too many people shopping in that department at that time, and I found a saleswoman who wasn't busy.  I asked her for help.  She was utterly useless.  I mentioned that I liked a particular style but that the biggest I could find it in was a 34DDD and asked if that style came in a 34G.  She looked it up, but then went and got a 36DDD off the shelf.  I repeated that I needed the 34 band size and that the 36 was simply too big.  She looked again and then went and found several other bras in a 36DDD.  Lather, rinse repeat.  I had to explain to her several times that a bigger band size wasn't going to work, and even explained bra sizing to her.  This, a woman who supposedly works in the intimates department!  After that, she just sort of disappeared.  I went off on my own and dug through every single bra in the entire department.  I did eventually find two that were the proper size.

I then went to the other end of the mall where I worked with the most wonderful sales associate at Bloomingdales.  It's the same parent company, but the sales people there are always so much more helpful and knowledgeable.  I give up on Macy's.

Random aside, if you have a Dillard's in your area, try there. They carry Le Mystere (sp?) that starts at a D cup.

Thanks.  There aren't any Dillard's in my area, but I'll look for the brand.  The woman at Bloomingdales has several brands that do come in the right size, but she didn't have in stock.  She said it wasn't a big deal to order a few styles to be brought in for me to try on, so that's what she's doing.  She'll call me sometime next week when they arrive.  The specialty store I mentioned was Soma, and they had several styles that worked, but my gift certificate was "only" for $200, so that was only three bras, as they're quite pricey there.  I was able to get two at Macy's.  I'd like 7 (one for every day of the week), so I'm searching for two more. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cwm

« Reply #5239 on: December 27, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
Thanks siamesecat2965. I had a sneaking suspicion it was a corporate edict. Wonder if it works for more shoppers than not.

Personally, if I need help, I'll just ask and I'm quite happy as long as I don't have to mount an expedition to find a shop assistant.  :)

This is my shopping style too. If I want help, I want someone available who can help me. Greet me when I come in, that's fine. Offer to tell me about the sales once, that's fine. But then leave me alone so I can take some time to do shopping on my own!

When I was in retail, we were told we had to greet every customer coming to our department. We had people who came through the store and browsed. They'd go from fishing to marine and back again, which meant they had to cross our department twice. Some of the managers got really upset with us when we didn't greet the same customers four times in fifteen minutes because they were coming into our department again. Those managers did not last long in our department. (Not a statement on them, none of the managers lasted long in our department. I think we had five or six in the two years I was there.)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5240 on: December 27, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
I mentioned that I liked a particular style but that the biggest I could find it in was a 34DDD and asked if that style came in a 34G.  She looked it up, but then went and got a 36DDD off the shelf.  I repeated that I needed the 34 band size and that the 36 was simply too big.  She looked again and then went and found several other bras in a 36DDD.  Lather, rinse repeat.

So this is what appeared in my head:

mmswm: Hi I love this bra, but I need it in a 34G, do you have that size.
Sales Lady: Yes, the computer says so, I'll be right back. Ok, here you go a 36DDD
mmswm: I need a 34G
Sales Lady: Be right back, here's a different style 36DDD
mmswm: That's nice, but I still need a 34G
Sales Lady: Alright here ya go 42A
mmswm: What? That's not even close! 34G
Sales Lady: Got it, here you are a nice 32B
mmswm: You aren't even listing to me at all are you? 34G
Sales Lady: Alright, I got your lime green thong, anything else I can help you with today?
mmswm: You could get me a 34G bra.
Sales Lady: Ok, bye now. *wanders off to help the lady in the jeans department buy a car*

cattlekid

« Reply #5241 on: December 27, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
Put me squarely in the camp of those for whom shopping at Macy's is akin to torture.

Case #1:  Picked out two bras in the lingerie section.  The whole section was in disarray so it was hard enough to find what I was looking for.  Compound this with the fact that one of the two bras didn't have a price tag and none of the other bras in the immediate area was the same style/manufacturer.  I went up to the counter and tried to pay for my purchase.  The sales person (I hate to even call her that), told me that one of the bras didn't have a tag.  I told her that I tried to find another one like it and could not.  She said that she could not ring it up without a tag and that *I* would have to find one with a tag and bring it to her.  I asked her if she could help me find another one and she actually said "no - do you want it or not?"  I left both bras on the counter and walked out.

Case #2:  About two years later, I walked into Macy's again under duress this time because I needed a dress for a church event.  I wear a larger size (women's 18-20) and went to the women's section and looked for dresses.  They had one small rack with nothing that would have been appropriate for the event.  I had to hunt around for a sales person and then when I asked her if they had any other women's size dresses or even separates that would have worked, she just told me to go online to macys.com and purchase a dress instead of even bothering to spend a couple of minutes helping me look around the department for something that might have been appropriate.

And people wonder why I tend to do most of my shopping online instead of wasting my time in stores....   :(

magicdomino

« Reply #5242 on: December 27, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »
I got a gift card for Macy's as a Christmas gift.  They are having a bra sale, which is the only article of clothing that I need now or in the near future -- except maybe a pair of jeans.  Oh well, at least it won't be my money.   ::)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #5243 on: December 27, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
The over-helpful staff at The Body Shop have driven me away from their store.

Last time I was there, I didn't even get into the shop before someone was asking if they could help - there was a display at the entrance of the store. Then two other shop assistants approached with the same question before I had been in the store for more than two minutes. It's a small shop. There were maybe two other shoppers there.  It's not like they couldn't see that I'd already been approached. After another shop assistant came over and started needlessly fiddling with the displays next to me, I gave up and left.

Not sure if they're doing this because of orders from corporate or if they're just a bit bored when it's not so busy. Wish they'd stop and let me browse in peace. I really love browsing and, if left to myself, usually buy a heap of stuff.
I posted this same story last year. I also complained to corporate and received no reply at all. I have not been back since.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

MissRose

« Reply #5244 on: December 27, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
Many places will either have a small selection of plus size clothes or refer you online only.  Some items of clothes I need to try on first. 

Saks will not get my business as they now only offer plus sizes online as a sales person inside a store said it was not a money maker to have racks of plus sizes.  Apparently they must not think that larger women want to dress nicely or need either formal and/or professional clothes.

Nordstrom will get my business even if I go to the clearance racks as they choose to carry plus size clothes and have excellent service.  Same applies for a few other retailers that specialize in plus sizes.

Case #2:  About two years later, I walked into Macy's again under duress this time because I needed a dress for a church event.  I wear a larger size (women's 18-20) and went to the women's section and looked for dresses.  They had one small rack with nothing that would have been appropriate for the event.  I had to hunt around for a sales person and then when I asked her if they had any other women's size dresses or even separates that would have worked, she just told me to go online to macys.com and purchase a dress instead of even bothering to spend a couple of minutes helping me look around the department for something that might have been appropriate.

And people wonder why I tend to do most of my shopping online instead of wasting my time in stores....   :(

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5245 on: December 27, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
I got a gift card for Macy's as a Christmas gift.  They are having a bra sale, which is the only article of clothing that I need now or in the near future -- except maybe a pair of jeans.  Oh well, at least it won't be my money.   ::)

I don't think Macy's is necessarily universally a bad place to shop. Like with most stores, it probably depends largely on the specific location (and the specific section you are shopping in).

I've shopped at Macy's that are perfectly fine in terms of the level of attention they give each customer, how their stock is organized, and what they have available. I just haven't ever found that to be true at the location nearest me, so I tend to avoid shopping there.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5246 on: December 27, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »

I wear the same size and was shopping at my then-local Macy's last year for a NYE dress. They actually do have a great selection online for bigger sizes, but at this particular Macy's, there were exactly two dresses in the whole store that fit me.  ::) I know it was a college town and that younger women skew smaller, but still! Ack. Another Macy's I've been to had the plus sizes in their own separate store next door, which made me eyeroll at the time, but at that moment I'd have gladly gone to the big-girl spinoff store if this Macy's had had one.

The online-only thing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They shunt more and more of their bigger clothes to the internet, so the customers go there to buy them instead of going to the store, and then they go "well, what can we do, the customers won't come to the store" and stick more of it online.

Hillia

« Reply #5247 on: December 27, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »
What they forget about sending you online is that you then have hundreds and hundreds of options easily available, not just Macy's, so they've lost not only the in-store sale but potentially a sale for Macy's entirely. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5248 on: December 27, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

I can almost bet it initially came from corporate. We always say we wish some of those higher ups would come and work in our store for just a week. Some of them may have retail experience, but not recent, and a lot of what they say we must do just turns many customers off.  And while they do COME to our stores, they aren't out on the floor with customers, or seeing what the employees do, and what works, and what doesn't. I prefer to shop by myself but like it if there is someone nearby in case I need help.

mmswm

« Reply #5249 on: December 27, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »

I don't think Macy's is necessarily universally a bad place to shop. Like with most stores, it probably depends largely on the specific location (and the specific section you are shopping in).

I've shopped at Macy's that are perfectly fine in terms of the level of attention they give each customer, how their stock is organized, and what they have available. I just haven't ever found that to be true at the location nearest me, so I tend to avoid shopping there.

What gets me is that both Macy's and Bloomingdale's are owned by the same parent company: Federated Department Stores.  This particular mall has only two anchor department stores, and they are those two stores. The other "anchor" is the movie theater.  It's not a small mall, but it's filled with a combination of standard mall stores and high end boutiques.  It's in a rather high end area.  It's not like they're in different areas and drawing from a different population for employees.  Yet, the level of knowledge and service between the two stores is night and day. This particular mall is about 30-45 minutes from my house.  There's another Macy's in a closer mall, but it's smaller, so I went to that one figuring they'd have better selection, plus that mall has a Soma, which I also had a gift certificate for.  The next closest Macy's is another 15-20 minutes north in an even larger mall.  I will happily pay a dollar or two more per item to go to Bloomingdale's if I can avoid Macy's from here on out.

Glitter, than you so much for your post.  I really needed a laugh this morning.  The conversation didn't quite go that way, but close enough.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)