A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

"I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!

<< < (1055/1323) > >>

Lorelei_Evil:
POD.  Most people I know use their 4WD so they can drive too fast for the conditions due to overconfidence in their own driving abilities.  Also to splash pedestrians with muck as they whip around corners.

Piratelvr1121:
I was saying to my friend, when she told me this, that a lot of people just don't seem to know how to drive in bad weather. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at driving on snow or ice.

Hubby, however, was taught by his mother how to drive on snow and ice, as she took him to an empty parking lot after it had snowed and there was ice and he learned just how to handle a vehicle in those conditions.

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on December 31, 2013, 09:22:09 AM ---I was saying to my friend, when she told me this, that a lot of people just don't seem to know how to drive in bad weather. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at driving on snow or ice.

Hubby, however, was taught by his mother how to drive on snow and ice, as she took him to an empty parking lot after it had snowed and there was ice and he learned just how to handle a vehicle in those conditions.

--- End quote ---

I've actually done a winter driving course through work where they set up a skid pad and taught us how to handle it.  But if you don't go out and practice those skills regularly, you lose them.  There really are no big parking lots I could go to that wouldn't have quite a few cars except late at night and that doesn't work for my sleep schedule!

I find the best way to handle the winter driving conditions is:  If it is really nasty, stay put!  If you have to drive, drive slowly.  Top up your gas and your washer fluid before you head out and take an extra jug or two of washer fluid with you.  I always put in a heavy coat, my ski pants, extra hats and mitts and extra warm boots, just in case.  And I always carry an emergency candle and a blanket.  I must remember to get a new match container and throw in some wooden strike anywhere matches, since my new car doesn't have a cigarette lighter any more.

Piratelvr1121:
Yeah I'm the same way. If I don't have to go out, I just won't. 

If we have to be somewhere, DH drives because he is good at it and drives for a living. 

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on December 31, 2013, 09:22:09 AM ---I was saying to my friend, when she told me this, that a lot of people just don't seem to know how to drive in bad weather. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at driving on snow or ice.

--- End quote ---
When I was in Kinder, it showed in Houston. My school district openned basically be cause it was very small geographically, you could get anywhere in it on surface roads and almost no bridges. Mom refused to allow anyone in the family to leave our street. Her argument was Houstonians had NO idea how to drive on even a dusting of snow and Ice. Dad's boss agreed and refused to send their trucks out that day. (Beer truck having an accident is always bad publicity with stupid jokes aobut the driver sampling the product.)

11 years later we had a deep freeze for Houston, where it stayed below freezing even after the sun was up. There had been no moisture, so my parents let me go pick up Cousin C and we went out for the day to a movie. We were going down Sage - not much traffic when the cars in front of us started slipping and sliding both directions. Someone had left their outside faucet dripping. But it wasn't over grass or a garden, but the cement driveway. The result was a sheet of ice basically the length of a 4 door car across all 4 lanes. I slowed the car as much as possible before the ice patch, steered the car straight over the ice. Thankfully no other car was crossing as I was, so I didn't get hit by them. I started flicking my Headlights on and off to warn on coming traffic. Cousin C and I met up with family for dinner that night. And she was telling them how all the adults couldn't handle the ice but I could. I was a newish driver, and got my driving privilages expanded that day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version