Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1247196 times)

BB-VA

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5280 on: December 31, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
All I know is that 4WD works a lot better on our unpaved .10 mile uphill driveway than my little FWD.  The FWD does just as well on the level, though.

That said, I used to have a job where I could stay home when the weather is bad.  A job change was forced on me, so now I work at a call center where I am "essential" personnel.  We are told, "Don't risk your life, but do try to get here."  In other words, doesn't matter what the conditions are, get your carcass to work. 

The company does provide cots if you want to stay overnight (I don't do slumber parties, thank you) or we can get somewhat discounted hotel rooms about 2 miles away.    And if conditions are bad enough and you do show up, you do get hazard pay, so that does help a little.  Still, it probably won't replace the car or pay the hospibal bills if you do crack up.

If we were delivering babies or doing other things that were life or death, I wouldn't mind the snow policy so much.  But we're a freaking CALL CENTER, for heaven's sake.   
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5281 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
It annoys me a little bit that Macy's has some seriously aggressively unhelpful sales people (in that they won't leave you alone to browse, but don't actually provide you with anything that could be called useful assistance). I'm the type of shopper who really would like you to leave me the heck alone unless I approach you with a question. And when the question is answered, leave me the heck alone again. Nothing drives me out of a store faster than too much attention from the sales staff.

It's the way they train the employees.

I worked there over the holiday season last year. Training consisted of how to use the cash register, some basic info on policy, and lots of reminders to push the store credit card and for people to buy as much as possible. If you were hired to work in one department, chances were you didn't end up there most days because you choose your own schedule. Unless you log into the website as soon as the schedule opens up to choose your shifts, all the good ones are gone and you might get stuck working in, say, the children's department when you were actually hired to work in purses and accessories. Which means you might not know anything about the department you're in that day. I'd work in the accessories department alongside people who were supposed to be working in housewares, but couldn't get a shift in housewares but needed a shift and so took whatever they could get.

They give you 8 hours of training and then put you out on the sales floor where you're expected to sell as much as possible to as many people as possible.

It wasn't bad for a seasonal job, but I wouldn't want to work there full time.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5282 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
local car dealership ... I know everyone has a horror story

Saturday 12/14 1:00 I leave a $1000 deposit on a car for DD, at 4:30 salesman, Paul, calls and needs me to come back and sign a form, I was in the shower and had plans for 6:00 so I said I would have to come back into town Monday to do that, he said he would bring it out to me, I said better be quick I have to be out the door by 5:45 and I am in the shower.  He did not come by so I was planning on going in Monday. 

Monday 9:30 Paul calls to remind me about form.  I said, "I'm sorry, DD hates that car, please just tear up my check, I will get back with you later in the week and see what you have had come in to look at."  He says no problem, then goes on to say they have car B priced at xx$.  "I am not interested in that type of car.  Just tear up that check and I will get with you later."

Tuesday,  9:30 Paul calls again about car B - again I say, we are not interested in that type of vehicle.  He says why don't you come out and take a look - because I DON'T WANT THAT TYPE OF CAR.   He says it's within your budget, etc.,  I don't want that kind of car.  Go through the explanation, yet again, we are paying in cash, our budget is x$$ and we want a compact sedan, I am not in a hurry to make a big mistake, want to choose carefully for teen driver.  He tried to show me several cars WAY over our budget on Saturday (beyond what I consider negotiating numbers). 

Wednesday another call, Thursday another call and several texts about looking at Car B and perhaps now Car C (still no!) On Friday I quit answering his calls. 

I forgot about the whole thing quite honestly - he obviously doesn't get it.  I want compact sedan within our budget of $$$$ he wants to sell me something else (two door sports coupe and SUV type vehicle).

Tuesday 12/31 I am checking bank account before year end to make sure I have paid everything I can for my business and get it run through on 2013 books. 

The dealership has deposited my check and it has gone through my account

I called immediately and Steve in bookkeeping was supposed to call me right back.  Of course he didn't.   I'm sure he took off early for NYE and my little problem was the least of his concerns.   

Thursday 10:30 I call again.  At 11:45 I believe we have it all straightened out, they are making an electronic transfer to my checking account.  This should NEVER happen!  Fortunately for me I'm not some poor college student that a check like that would have wiped out and caused major problems for (like DD for example). Sales manager is terribly apologetic, more about Steve not calling me back than Paul who doesn't seem to get it.   

Sales manager wanted to know if he could perhaps show me some vehicles within our budget - I said, "buddy you couldn't sell me a can of bean dip right now, I am furious, this should never happen.  Just another example of why car salesmen have such bad reputations."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5283 on: January 02, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
This is why I buy used cars from individual owners, not dealerships.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5284 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
I would have called my bank and stopped payment immediately on that check.  Also I think a phone call to the AG's office may be in order as wel.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5285 on: January 02, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
I would have called my bank and stopped payment immediately on that check.  Also I think a phone call to the AG's office may be in order as wel.

Absolutely! It seems they were determined to sell you a car, any car, whether you liked it or not!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5286 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

Absolutely! It seems they were determined to sell you a car, any car, whether you liked it or not!

Depends on the paperwork you sign, though - a "deposit" generally involves something along the lines of "I'm putting down this money because I'm absolutely sure I want to go through with the transaction, and I'll forfeit the money if I don't."  In theory, anyway - lots of places will give you your deposit back most of the time, but that's kinda what a deposit is *for.*  You don't get your deposit back if you change your mind afterward unless the business wants to be nice.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5287 on: January 02, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »
I look at it like what happened when we looked at a house. We made an offer, put a $1000 check as escrow and our offer was not accepted. The check was returned to us, un-deposited.

norrina

« Reply #5288 on: January 02, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
I look at it like what happened when we looked at a house. We made an offer, put a $1000 check as escrow and our offer was not accepted. The check was returned to us, un-deposited.

In your case, though, the sale didn't happen because the seller chose not to accept your offer. If they had accepted the offer, and you subsequently decided you didn't want that house after all, they would have been entitled to keep the check. The earnest money deposit is intended to compensate the seller for their potential losses if you don't go through with the deal (i.e., other buyers they could have sold to if they hadn't been holding the house for you).

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5289 on: January 03, 2014, 01:39:18 AM »
Or the offer's accepted, and something is discovered to be wrong with it, and the deal falls through - then you get more of a refund, but still, you get your $ back.

I am going to guess that this was a deposit made to hold the car for a limited time, with the deal being contingent on the intended primary driver's approval. When IPD doesn't approve, deposit is returned - either the check is handed back if the deal is cancelled prior to deposit, or refunded otherwise. To deposit AFTER the deal is cancelled is highly hinky to me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #5290 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:06 AM »
Or the offer's accepted, and something is discovered to be wrong with it, and the deal falls through - then you get more of a refund, but still, you get your $ back.

I am going to guess that this was a deposit made to hold the car for a limited time, with the deal being contingent on the intended primary driver's approval. When IPD doesn't approve, deposit is returned - either the check is handed back if the deal is cancelled prior to deposit, or refunded otherwise. To deposit AFTER the deal is cancelled is highly hinky to me.

This makes sense. Still, I'd either want to retrieve the cheque myself and destroy it, or put a stop on that cheque number at the bank. I may be cynical and jaded, but I don't put a thousand dollars worth of trust in strangers.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5291 on: January 03, 2014, 03:50:07 AM »
Will not be ordering anything from anyone that ships UPS.  Item 1 was supposedly delivered to our home on the 27th of December " left at or near front door".  We were home all day and there was/is no package delivered.  Item 2 was supposedly delivered today, once again left "at or near front door". 

perpetua

« Reply #5292 on: January 03, 2014, 04:43:24 AM »

Depends on the paperwork you sign, though - a "deposit" generally involves something along the lines of "I'm putting down this money because I'm absolutely sure I want to go through with the transaction, and I'll forfeit the money if I don't."  In theory, anyway - lots of places will give you your deposit back most of the time, but that's kinda what a deposit is *for.*  You don't get your deposit back if you change your mind afterward unless the business wants to be nice.

Yes, I'm confused why the dealership are SS in this situation, sounds like they're just exercising their rights to me.  Putting a deposit on something shows intention to buy and prevents the seller from selling it to anyone else until you've paid the balance and picked up the item. Then your daughter decided she hated the car, but in the meantime they may have lost out on selling it to anyone else, over a weekend, when most car sales are made. So I think they're entitled to keep it, because they've potentially lost a sale through your daughter changing her mind.

if you're not entirely sure you're going to go through with a purchase, then I'd have to think putting down a large deposit isn't a good idea.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5293 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
perpetua wrote:

"Yes, I'm confused why the dealership are SS in this situation, sounds like they're just exercising their rights to me.  Putting a deposit on something shows intention to buy and prevents the seller from selling it to anyone else until you've paid the balance and picked up the item. Then your daughter decided she hated the car, but in the meantime they may have lost out on selling it to anyone else, over a weekend, when most car sales are made. So I think they're entitled to keep it, because they've potentially lost a sale through your daughter changing her mind."

Their malfunction isn't in depositing the check, it's in telling her that they were returning the deposit, and then depositing the check a week later.  If they intended to keep the deposit, then it behooves them to say so at the outset, not promise to destroy the check, sit on it for a week and then process it.

Virg

perpetua

« Reply #5294 on: January 03, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
perpetua wrote:

"Yes, I'm confused why the dealership are SS in this situation, sounds like they're just exercising their rights to me.  Putting a deposit on something shows intention to buy and prevents the seller from selling it to anyone else until you've paid the balance and picked up the item. Then your daughter decided she hated the car, but in the meantime they may have lost out on selling it to anyone else, over a weekend, when most car sales are made. So I think they're entitled to keep it, because they've potentially lost a sale through your daughter changing her mind."

Their malfunction isn't in depositing the check, it's in telling her that they were returning the deposit, and then depositing the check a week later.  If they intended to keep the deposit, then it behooves them to say so at the outset, not promise to destroy the check, sit on it for a week and then process it.

Virg

Yeah, I agree they handled that badly. My first thought was perhaps the salesman said he was going to return the check then the manager pointed out that it was a deposit and put a stop his doing that. They probably should have informed the customer of that though. But they weren't in the wrong to keep it. It was a deposit, and the customer changed their mind - that's the whole point.