Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1143385 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5280 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »
Yeah I'm the same way. If I don't have to go out, I just won't. 

If we have to be somewhere, DH drives because he is good at it and drives for a living. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5281 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
I was saying to my friend, when she told me this, that a lot of people just don't seem to know how to drive in bad weather. Heck, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at driving on snow or ice.

Hubby, however, was taught by his mother how to drive on snow and ice, as she took him to an empty parking lot after it had snowed and there was ice and he learned just how to handle a vehicle in those conditions.
When I was in Kinder, it showed in Houston. My school district openned basically be cause it was very small geographically, you could get anywhere in it on surface roads and almost no bridges. Mom refused to allow anyone in the family to leave our street. Her argument was Houstonians had NO idea how to drive on even a dusting of snow and Ice. Dad's boss agreed and refused to send their trucks out that day. (Beer truck having an accident is always bad publicity with stupid jokes aobut the driver sampling the product.)

11 years later we had a deep freeze for Houston, where it stayed below freezing even after the sun was up. There had been no moisture, so my parents let me go pick up Cousin C and we went out for the day to a movie. We were going down Sage - not much traffic when the cars in front of us started slipping and sliding both directions. Someone had left their outside faucet dripping. But it wasn't over grass or a garden, but the cement driveway. The result was a sheet of ice basically the length of a 4 door car across all 4 lanes. I slowed the car as much as possible before the ice patch, steered the car straight over the ice. Thankfully no other car was crossing as I was, so I didn't get hit by them. I started flicking my Headlights on and off to warn on coming traffic. Cousin C and I met up with family for dinner that night. And she was telling them how all the adults couldn't handle the ice but I could. I was a newish driver, and got my driving privilages expanded that day.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

nuit93

« Reply #5282 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
My friend told me that her nephew (well technically her sister's nephew by marriage) told her on Christmas that she needed to take him with her the next time she goes car shopping because it doesn't have 4WD on it.

They live in the Midwest, friend's had the car for 10 years and never had an accident, even when driving in snow and on ice, and icy snow.  When she told him he backed down and admitted he was just used to their vehicles that do have 4WD.

It is also a myth that 4WD/AWD is better while driving in snow or on ice.  It helps you get going from a stop but it doesn't help at all with steering or stopping - it reacts just like a FWD once you are moving.  And this is why you often see a lot of 4WD vehicles in the ditch on a nasty day - the driver thinks they have more traction and therefore, doesn't think s/he has to slow down as much as all the lowly 2WD vehicles.

And I say this as an AWD vehicle driver.   :)

Yep.  Front wheel drive is suitable most of the time, helps to have manual transmission (I drive a compact, FWD, 5spd).  I figure if I can't manage the roads in it, I have no business going out.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5283 on: December 31, 2013, 01:51:45 PM »
I love my stick, too.  Stick, AWD and snow tires?  If I can't get going, they should declare a state of emergency and declare that only emergency vehicles are allowed on the roads.

The key is that once you get going, drive according to conditions.  I heard on the radio on the way home that a stretch of highway just north of me was experiencing near whiteout conditions due to blowing snow and there was a vehicle that had rolled.  I'm willing to bet it was an SUV.  I'll have to watch the local evening news and see.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5284 on: December 31, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"It is also a myth that 4WD/AWD is better while driving in snow or on ice.  It helps you get going from a stop but it doesn't help at all with steering or stopping - it reacts just like a FWD once you are moving."

All wheel drive will make the car more controllable in certain conditions, and one of those conditions is driving in unplowed snow (the others are things like sand or loose mud, but I figure if you're mudding you already know more about handling your vehicle than the average commuter).  No drive train is better than any other at stopping, though, and I agree that it's easy to let yourself get overconfident when you step on the gas in the vehicle goes when the cars around you are having trouble getting started.

"I heard on the radio on the way home that a stretch of highway just north of me was experiencing near whiteout conditions due to blowing snow and there was a vehicle that had rolled.  I'm willing to bet it was an SUV."

This isn't just because SUV drivers are worse at driving, it's due to the vehicle.  In exactly the same accident, an SUV is more likely to overturn than a regular car because it's got a higher center of gravity.  I've seen plenty of sedans slid off into the snowbanks when the weather turns.  Still, your advice to drive for the road condition, no matter what you're driving, is very wise and I wish more people would follow it.

Virg

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5285 on: December 31, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
Can winter driving advice get a spinoff?  :-\ I like the bad business topic!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5286 on: December 31, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Yvaine wrote:

"Can winter driving advice get a spinoff?"

I see what you did there.  ;D

Virg

BB-VA

« Reply #5287 on: December 31, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
All I know is that 4WD works a lot better on our unpaved .10 mile uphill driveway than my little FWD.  The FWD does just as well on the level, though.

That said, I used to have a job where I could stay home when the weather is bad.  A job change was forced on me, so now I work at a call center where I am "essential" personnel.  We are told, "Don't risk your life, but do try to get here."  In other words, doesn't matter what the conditions are, get your carcass to work. 

The company does provide cots if you want to stay overnight (I don't do slumber parties, thank you) or we can get somewhat discounted hotel rooms about 2 miles away.    And if conditions are bad enough and you do show up, you do get hazard pay, so that does help a little.  Still, it probably won't replace the car or pay the hospibal bills if you do crack up.

If we were delivering babies or doing other things that were life or death, I wouldn't mind the snow policy so much.  But we're a freaking CALL CENTER, for heaven's sake.   
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5288 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
It annoys me a little bit that Macy's has some seriously aggressively unhelpful sales people (in that they won't leave you alone to browse, but don't actually provide you with anything that could be called useful assistance). I'm the type of shopper who really would like you to leave me the heck alone unless I approach you with a question. And when the question is answered, leave me the heck alone again. Nothing drives me out of a store faster than too much attention from the sales staff.

It's the way they train the employees.

I worked there over the holiday season last year. Training consisted of how to use the cash register, some basic info on policy, and lots of reminders to push the store credit card and for people to buy as much as possible. If you were hired to work in one department, chances were you didn't end up there most days because you choose your own schedule. Unless you log into the website as soon as the schedule opens up to choose your shifts, all the good ones are gone and you might get stuck working in, say, the children's department when you were actually hired to work in purses and accessories. Which means you might not know anything about the department you're in that day. I'd work in the accessories department alongside people who were supposed to be working in housewares, but couldn't get a shift in housewares but needed a shift and so took whatever they could get.

They give you 8 hours of training and then put you out on the sales floor where you're expected to sell as much as possible to as many people as possible.

It wasn't bad for a seasonal job, but I wouldn't want to work there full time.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5289 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
local car dealership ... I know everyone has a horror story

Saturday 12/14 1:00 I leave a $1000 deposit on a car for DD, at 4:30 salesman, Paul, calls and needs me to come back and sign a form, I was in the shower and had plans for 6:00 so I said I would have to come back into town Monday to do that, he said he would bring it out to me, I said better be quick I have to be out the door by 5:45 and I am in the shower.  He did not come by so I was planning on going in Monday. 

Monday 9:30 Paul calls to remind me about form.  I said, "I'm sorry, DD hates that car, please just tear up my check, I will get back with you later in the week and see what you have had come in to look at."  He says no problem, then goes on to say they have car B priced at xx$.  "I am not interested in that type of car.  Just tear up that check and I will get with you later."

Tuesday,  9:30 Paul calls again about car B - again I say, we are not interested in that type of vehicle.  He says why don't you come out and take a look - because I DON'T WANT THAT TYPE OF CAR.   He says it's within your budget, etc.,  I don't want that kind of car.  Go through the explanation, yet again, we are paying in cash, our budget is x$$ and we want a compact sedan, I am not in a hurry to make a big mistake, want to choose carefully for teen driver.  He tried to show me several cars WAY over our budget on Saturday (beyond what I consider negotiating numbers). 

Wednesday another call, Thursday another call and several texts about looking at Car B and perhaps now Car C (still no!) On Friday I quit answering his calls. 

I forgot about the whole thing quite honestly - he obviously doesn't get it.  I want compact sedan within our budget of $$$$ he wants to sell me something else (two door sports coupe and SUV type vehicle).

Tuesday 12/31 I am checking bank account before year end to make sure I have paid everything I can for my business and get it run through on 2013 books. 

The dealership has deposited my check and it has gone through my account

I called immediately and Steve in bookkeeping was supposed to call me right back.  Of course he didn't.   I'm sure he took off early for NYE and my little problem was the least of his concerns.   

Thursday 10:30 I call again.  At 11:45 I believe we have it all straightened out, they are making an electronic transfer to my checking account.  This should NEVER happen!  Fortunately for me I'm not some poor college student that a check like that would have wiped out and caused major problems for (like DD for example). Sales manager is terribly apologetic, more about Steve not calling me back than Paul who doesn't seem to get it.   

Sales manager wanted to know if he could perhaps show me some vehicles within our budget - I said, "buddy you couldn't sell me a can of bean dip right now, I am furious, this should never happen.  Just another example of why car salesmen have such bad reputations."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5290 on: January 02, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
This is why I buy used cars from individual owners, not dealerships.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5291 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
I would have called my bank and stopped payment immediately on that check.  Also I think a phone call to the AG's office may be in order as wel.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5292 on: January 02, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
I would have called my bank and stopped payment immediately on that check.  Also I think a phone call to the AG's office may be in order as wel.

Absolutely! It seems they were determined to sell you a car, any car, whether you liked it or not!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5293 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

Absolutely! It seems they were determined to sell you a car, any car, whether you liked it or not!

Depends on the paperwork you sign, though - a "deposit" generally involves something along the lines of "I'm putting down this money because I'm absolutely sure I want to go through with the transaction, and I'll forfeit the money if I don't."  In theory, anyway - lots of places will give you your deposit back most of the time, but that's kinda what a deposit is *for.*  You don't get your deposit back if you change your mind afterward unless the business wants to be nice.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5294 on: January 02, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »
I look at it like what happened when we looked at a house. We made an offer, put a $1000 check as escrow and our offer was not accepted. The check was returned to us, un-deposited.