Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1212059 times)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5295 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
perpetua wrote:

"Yes, I'm confused why the dealership are SS in this situation, sounds like they're just exercising their rights to me.  Putting a deposit on something shows intention to buy and prevents the seller from selling it to anyone else until you've paid the balance and picked up the item. Then your daughter decided she hated the car, but in the meantime they may have lost out on selling it to anyone else, over a weekend, when most car sales are made. So I think they're entitled to keep it, because they've potentially lost a sale through your daughter changing her mind."

Their malfunction isn't in depositing the check, it's in telling her that they were returning the deposit, and then depositing the check a week later.  If they intended to keep the deposit, then it behooves them to say so at the outset, not promise to destroy the check, sit on it for a week and then process it.

Virg

Yeah, I agree they handled that badly. My first thought was perhaps the salesman said he was going to return the check then the manager pointed out that it was a deposit and put a stop his doing that. They probably should have informed the customer of that though. But they weren't in the wrong to keep it. It was a deposit, and the customer changed their mind - that's the whole point.

My guess is that they said they wouldn't cash it, but figured they'd be able to convince Redneck Gravy to use the deposit toward a different car.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5296 on: January 03, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
perpetua wrote:

"Yeah, I agree they handled that badly. My first thought was perhaps the salesman said he was going to return the check then the manager pointed out that it was a deposit and put a stop his doing that. They probably should have informed the customer of that though. But they weren't in the wrong to keep it."

There's no "probably" about this situation, it's a requirement.  If they had told her that the deposit was non-refundable, they'd have been firmly within their rights.  But a representative of the company told her that the deposit would be returned (by telling her that they would destroy the check).  If that got changed in the corporate food chain, then acting without informing her of the change is unethical.  Failing to inform her of that change is what makes keeping the deposit wrong, because it means that they deceived her.  Where money is involved, ethics takes a very dim view of changing the parameters of the interaction without the knowledge and consent of the involved parties and they did exactly that, by telling her that they were returning the deposit and then processing the check.

Virg

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5297 on: January 04, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
OP here

I left the deposit on Saturday afternoon on a car that had not been cleaned up yet.  Salesman was pretty confident it would not be shown that afternoon, I was also pretty sure it would not be shown, dealerships were incredibly slow that day (very cold, windy, not many people out car shopping).  Also, when he called later that day he said I would have to sign a form indicating that the deposit was for that car.

On Monday when I said tear up my check he said he would.  To deposit it two weeks later was incredibly foolish on dealership's part (mine too, I should have driven over there and picked up the check)  After speaking with the sales manager (car salesman is already gone from this dealership) he was terribly apologetic about the situation.  He said, "without going into details, we dropped the ball on this one.  It's an electronic deposit and we will get it reversed." 

I would not have left a $1000 deposit on anything I wasn't sure I couldn't get back or apply on another deal, etc.  But I disagree that I held up a sale or that the dealership had the right to deposit my check. 

I also learned a valuable lesson and in the future I will retrieve the actual check in these kind of situations.  (I hope we don't have to do any car shopping for several years!  I consider it the 7th circle of Hades, possibly the 8th circle with DD)

Deposits for different types of transactions vary on refunds.  I have never heard of a dealership trying to keep a deposit on a vehicle where the transaction was cancelled within 24 hours (business hours since they are closed on Sundays).  And to deposit it two weeks later without any matching paperwork !   I agree they dropped the ball alright.       

Snooks

« Reply #5298 on: January 04, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
Will not be ordering anything from anyone that ships UPS.  Item 1 was supposedly delivered to our home on the 27th of December " left at or near front door".  We were home all day and there was/is no package delivered.  Item 2 was supposedly delivered today, once again left "at or near front door".

I hate it when there's no indication of how it's going to ship then you get the email that cheerfully proclaims "We have shipped your item using the courier company who won't bother knocking on your door and will make it impossible for you to collect your parcel.  Thanks for shopping with us!"

perpetua

« Reply #5299 on: January 04, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »

I would not have left a $1000 deposit on anything I wasn't sure I couldn't get back or apply on another deal, etc.  But I disagree that I held up a sale or that the dealership had the right to deposit my check. 

They absolutely had the right to deposit it, because that's the whole point of a deposit. A deposit holds the item so that the vendor can not sell it to anyone else on the understanding that you will come back and pay the full purchase price at a later date. You then changed your mind about the purchase.  In the time they had your deposit, they couldn't sell it to anyone else. They lost the potential to sell that item for the time they had your deposit, and that's what the deposit is to indemnify them against; whether it's one business day or ten isn't really the issue. So, you're really lucky you got it back.

If of course the sale doesn't go through through a fault on the seller's end, then you have every right to get your deposit back.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5300 on: January 04, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
I checked the delivery status on a parcel coming in Friday (yay) then went out with the company to McDonald's to let the three year old burn off energy in the indoor play area (too cold & windy for outside). 

When I came back, the parcel was by the side door (front door has warped since the last hurricane & doesn't open easily - there is a note asking them to go to the side door - same doorbell mechanism to make the sounds) - but I have no idea if the doorbell was rung or not.  VorGuy & VorSon stayed home (not quite over the flu - so not up to McDonald's) - neither of them seem to be able to hear the doorbell, based on past experience. 

At least the parcel was there.

I've found lots of parcels on the front porch (brick wall that "wraps" around a small bench & blocks the view from the street) - the larger parcels were usually left on the bench, really big ones were stacked behind a brick pillar, a few small ones were leaned against the door or to one side of the door.

There are large boxes for parcel delivery built into the neighborhood mail box - but the keys have been lost or broken and the USA's post office is having financial issues due to being self supporting and having LOST most of the services people will pay extra for to the private companies over the last forty years....

Even bills and junk mail are being delivered by other "services" today - we call them "spam" if they show up in your email inbox.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #5301 on: January 04, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »

They absolutely had the right to deposit it, because that's the whole point of a deposit. A deposit holds the item so that the vendor can not sell it to anyone else on the understanding that you will come back and pay the full purchase price at a later date. You then changed your mind about the purchase.  In the time they had your deposit, they couldn't sell it to anyone else. They lost the potential to sell that item for the time they had your deposit, and that's what the deposit is to indemnify them against; whether it's one business day or ten isn't really the issue. So, you're really lucky you got it back.

If of course the sale doesn't go through through a fault on the seller's end, then you have every right to get your deposit back.

The problem is that they deposited the check after the deal was dead. There was no reason for them to deposit it since they had the car available to sell. If they had deposited the check immediately, then you'd have a case, but not in this situation. Cashing a "deposit" check when there is no deal underway is simply fraud.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5302 on: January 04, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
perpetua wrote:

"Yes, I'm confused why the dealership are SS in this situation, sounds like they're just exercising their rights to me.  Putting a deposit on something shows intention to buy and prevents the seller from selling it to anyone else until you've paid the balance and picked up the item. Then your daughter decided she hated the car, but in the meantime they may have lost out on selling it to anyone else, over a weekend, when most car sales are made. So I think they're entitled to keep it, because they've potentially lost a sale through your daughter changing her mind."

Their malfunction isn't in depositing the check, it's in telling her that they were returning the deposit, and then depositing the check a week later.  If they intended to keep the deposit, then it behooves them to say so at the outset, not promise to destroy the check, sit on it for a week and then process it.

Virg

This but I would have guessed the check was deposited the night it was left. IF that was the case when OP asked about obviously she should have been informed.

Dealership will almost always give back a deposit not because they have to but because its not worth it to them to try to force it. 

Other people mentioned deposits on Real estate when you get your deposit back is normally part of the purchase order contract.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5303 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »

The problem is that they deposited the check after the deal was dead. There was no reason for them to deposit it since they had the car available to sell. If they had deposited the check immediately, then you'd have a case, but not in this situation. Cashing a "deposit" check when there is no deal underway is simply fraud.

Exactly, not to mention two weeks after you'd agreed to shred it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5304 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »
Will not be ordering anything from anyone that ships UPS.  Item 1 was supposedly delivered to our home on the 27th of December " left at or near front door".  We were home all day and there was/is no package delivered.  Item 2 was supposedly delivered today, once again left "at or near front door".

I hate it when there's no indication of how it's going to ship then you get the email that cheerfully proclaims "We have shipped your item using the courier company who won't bother knocking on your door and will make it impossible for you to collect your parcel.  Thanks for shopping with us!"

That is FedEx for us. They try to deliver the package once, mid-day. They will never put it on a truck again. I hate using FedEx.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5305 on: January 04, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »
I'm sure someone's mentioned Lasership somewhere earlier in the thread.  If I could avoid using them, I would. On *multiple* occasions, delivery of my package was delayed because their truck broke down.

BB-VA

« Reply #5306 on: January 04, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »

That is FedEx for us. They try to deliver the package once, mid-day. They will never put it on a truck again. I hate using FedEx.

FedEx at my house doesn't even bother to knock.  They just slap the sticky note on the door and leave. 

My husband is here all day, every day.  They have no excuse to do that.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5307 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
^ Oh, that would aggravate me to no end.

I am not patronizing Wal-mart for as long as possible. I sent an email to corporate for Wal-mart recommending they visit the stores in the less prosperous areas of my city in the evening. The stores are filthy, with carts filling the lots. Half of the self-checkout lanes are out of order and all but one of the regular lanes were closed.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5308 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:33 AM »
Gah, don't get me started on FedEx. The one time I have used them they slapped a "This is your third and final notice" slip on your door the first time they came by, and then when I called to have it deliveredt o my work instead, ended up delievering it at a wrong address (as in majorly wrong. Not even remotely similar to the address I'd actually given them) so I had to go on a wild goose chase after it.

I got the parcel in the end, but what a hassle! Never again. Which also means I no longer shop at amazon.com, as they use FedEx when shipping to Denmark. Amazon.co.uk is cheaper anyway :-)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5309 on: January 05, 2014, 04:22:28 AM »
Awwwww...and I got a cheerful wave from a FedEx driver as he drove past me when I was standing next to the parking lot the other day. I wonder if he was the guy who delivered my Blu-Ray by putting it *under* the welcome mat right before Christmas?