Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1244867 times)

alkira6

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5445 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
I find that Sam's prices are like any other store - you have to make sure that you compare prices.  Rice, oh my yes if you eat it like we do buy it and don't worry about it going bad.  Bread, yes, meat, yes, toilet paper - maybe.  Other things - compare prices first.  Just because you can get a huge pack doesn't mean it's cheaper than buying several smaller packs.  They get you on laundry detergent like this.  Cheaper to buy the smaller bottles at Kroger when they are $2 for a 33 load bottle rather than pay $20 for a 146 load.  It's a better value for $10 at Kroger and you get 165 loads.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5446 on: February 27, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Elfmama wrote:

"I second BJ's Wholesale.  They have NEVER pulled something like that!"

We quit BJ's, but it wasn't due to any problem, we just never used it enough to make it worth the fee.  Our experience was the same, in that they offered reminders but never added it to the total without asking.

Virg

KarenK

« Reply #5447 on: February 27, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
My Sam's Club is fabulous. Similar to others, they simply remind us when our membership is about to lapse. You do have to watch prices, though, especially for canned food, and know when buying store brand somewhere else is cheaper than buying name brand in bulk at Sam's. We've just switched all our prescriptions there, including the ones for the cats, and that's the only place we buy gas.

And we have a business membership which allows us to shop at 7 am before the public.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5448 on: February 27, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
I shop at Costco, and yes, sometimes their prices for a 3 pack aren't any different than buying a single one at a "regular" store, but as long as its not more, I'll get that since I have limited free time, and its easier to keep a few in reserve, than run out.

Other things, yes, much cheaper, so I buy exclusively there. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5449 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
The cable companies stories made me think of this.

After TS Allison, my sister and everyone on her block had trouble with their internet. Cable was fine. The Time Warner customer service kept saying the problem was with everyone's computer. Now during Allison, the flood waters were more than 1/2 way up the yards in sister's street.

Sis had horrible service with DSL before that and didn't want to go back.  I think I've mentioned before my sister is NOT someone to tick off. She got hold of the local corporate number - not the customer service line.  She started calling and put in random numbers for different people's lines. In each voice mailbox (she started doing this at like 7 pm) she left the same message.

Basicly - Everyone on her block had there internet out and it had been since Allison. If they didn't send someone out to work on it, she was going to contact DSL people and talk them into giving the whole block a discount to sign up - because the block would be willing to go on air and explain why they were dropping TimeWarner.

She got a call back first thing the next morning wanting to know when she would be home to let the service people in. She told them what time she usually got home. Turns out all the customers on the street got similar phone calls. When she got home - the street had a  dozen Time Warner trucks. Turned out that a junction box that just handled internet side fo things things had been flooded and everything was rusting out.

She also got the other side of the story. One of those random voice mail numbers she dialed had gone to the top local guy's administrative assistant. That had launched an investigation and got these guys sent out. They had found multiple problems caused by the flooding and fixed those now were waiting for people to get home to make sure things were working in the houses. They had reported the problems back - and  phone logs/recordings of the complaints. Turned out that people in customer service were marking these as resolved, when they weren't it made their numbers look better.

The guy sent to Sis's house was the guy in charge of service for that area. He was very grateful because now his guys that were facing layoffs due to not having technical issues were going to keep their jobs. People in the call center not so much.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GreenBird

« Reply #5450 on: February 27, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »
The cable companies stories made me think of this.

After TS Allison, my sister and everyone on her block had trouble with their internet. Cable was fine. The Time Warner customer service kept saying the problem was with everyone's computer. Now during Allison, the flood waters were more than 1/2 way up the yards in sister's street.

Sis had horrible service with DSL before that and didn't want to go back.  I think I've mentioned before my sister is NOT someone to tick off. She got hold of the local corporate number - not the customer service line.  She started calling and put in random numbers for different people's lines. In each voice mailbox (she started doing this at like 7 pm) she left the same message.

Basicly - Everyone on her block had there internet out and it had been since Allison. If they didn't send someone out to work on it, she was going to contact DSL people and talk them into giving the whole block a discount to sign up - because the block would be willing to go on air and explain why they were dropping TimeWarner.

She got a call back first thing the next morning wanting to know when she would be home to let the service people in. She told them what time she usually got home. Turns out all the customers on the street got similar phone calls. When she got home - the street had a  dozen Time Warner trucks. Turned out that a junction box that just handled internet side fo things things had been flooded and everything was rusting out.

She also got the other side of the story. One of those random voice mail numbers she dialed had gone to the top local guy's administrative assistant. That had launched an investigation and got these guys sent out. They had found multiple problems caused by the flooding and fixed those now were waiting for people to get home to make sure things were working in the houses. They had reported the problems back - and  phone logs/recordings of the complaints. Turned out that people in customer service were marking these as resolved, when they weren't it made their numbers look better.

The guy sent to Sis's house was the guy in charge of service for that area. He was very grateful because now his guys that were facing layoffs due to not having technical issues were going to keep their jobs. People in the call center not so much.

Your sister is my hero!  That is amazing and brilliant!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5451 on: February 28, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »
My Sam's club also automatically renews membership when you shop there.  I am finished with them too.  Haven't missed it either.

Gordon's Jewelers is about to be on my never again list...

I bought a watch battery there two years ago - LIFETIME warranty for $20
I thought that was ridiculous for a watch battery but at $5 a year I could see breaking even within four years.  Of course the battery eventually stopped and I went in with my paperwork to get it replaced.  Both times I have been told they don't have that battery but come back in two weeks.  They are in the mall and I rarely shop there (been in there three times in last year - twice for the darn battery). 

So thus far I have been without my watch for over a month.  I suspect the lifetime warranty is not going to be worth anything...they won't carry that battery anymore and I'll be hosed. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5452 on: February 28, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
DS got a "real" watch instead of a purity ring a few years ago.

Needed a new battery, and got the same verbage from the jewelry store.
Yes, it would be free if I just kept checking when the shipment of the right size batteries comes in, but no, htey have no way to check the order themselves.

Or, I could pay $100.00 (yes, one hundred) and they would ship it off for me to replace the watch battery.

Ulp??!?

Two weeks later, still no battery.

DH said he will go to an electronic store and just buy a battery and install it himself. 

So much for me possibly looking at  chain for a pendant we bought on vacation for DD's graduation next year!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

kansha

« Reply #5453 on: February 28, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
what is a 'purity ring'?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5454 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
what is a 'purity ring'?

Oh good I was wondering that too.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5455 on: February 28, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
what is a 'purity ring'?

Oh good I was wondering that too.

It's a ring worn to show you've made a vow to save yourself for marriage, so no pre-marital Scrabble playing.

Lots of girls in my high school wore them, and shoved in the faces of those of us less pure. But those were mean girls. I also have been around nice girls who wear them too and didn't care I didn't wear one. I never met a guy in high school who wore one. Post-high school I stopped paying attention.

Hillia

« Reply #5456 on: February 28, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
When I still wore a watch there used to be kiosks at the mall that would replace watch batteries for $10 or so.  Some department store jewelry counters did it also.  Of course my watches were always mid range Timexes, so nothing very expensive or unique.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5457 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
That's part of why DS did not want the typical ring that you wear, perhaps with a religious symbol, that you wear on your wedding band finger- he wanted something for himself, not others, to see.

(He wanted something he knew he would wear, would use and enjoy, not draw attention or have comments, and he chose a price range that was doable.  Prolly cheaper than a cheap knockoff of a brand name, but nice for us.) 

For DD, she picked out a ring while we were travelling, so it is a souvenir of sorts, and just looks pretty.  She wears it on either hand, along with some other rings sometimes, so you cannot tell hers is anything other than, "ooh, pretty ring!"

No need to tell others.  I DO know of some girls that like to show off their oh so expensive whatevers, how wonderful am I!  As they treat others badly.  And that is just wrong on a few levels! 

Ok, back on topic...

The jewelry store rather sized me up, with windblown hair and comfy instead of stylish shoes, in an over 10 year old mommy van, and realized no big sales would be occuring.  However-- IF they had been a bit nicer and attentive, I am in need of a nice chain to match for DD's necklace pendant.  Oh well...

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #5458 on: February 28, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
regarding the 'sizing up' of someone done in a jewellery store - oh good gracious have I been a victim of *that* time after time.

I went into a particular jeweller in the mall of my hometown on a weekend, I got the standard greeting them summarily ignored until I specifically grabbed someone to ask about a product.

But then, later that week, I went in on a weekday, after I'd been at work.

I work at a high end ladies' fashion store and we wear the products (mostly because we get a very steep discount and freebies if our store makes budget for the month) and are also required to wear makeup to work.

So when I walked into the same jewellery store not two days after being ignored, the same woman who had barely glanced at me on the Saturday was suddenly on me like a rash, and was more than happy to fetch her manager for me to speak with... until I told said manager, while the lady was loitering hoping to hear about how 'wonderful' she had been, about my experience on the weekend when I was in jeans and a t-shirt, and that thanks to that experience, and then being treated so much differently when I came in after my work hours, that I would be going elsewhere for the beads to fill up my charm bracelet (at about $50/each and I'm going to need about 15-20 beads to fill it) and that they'd lost me (and anyone else I told about the experience) as a potentially lucrative customer.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5459 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
When I still wore a watch there used to be kiosks at the mall that would replace watch batteries for $10 or so.  Some department store jewelry counters did it also.  Of course my watches were always mid range Timexes, so nothing very expensive or unique.

We take ours to Radio Shack.  They seem to have a battery to fit almost anything.  I don't think we've ever paid over $12 for one and there have been times when we've paid much less.  And they change it for you too!!