Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1107221 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5445 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
I'm getting fed up with Sam's Club. For those not familiar, it's a warehouse store that you pay an annual membership in order to be able to shop there. There's no long term contracts or anything; if you let your membership lapse you can't shop there until you renew it.

Well, my 12 month membership expires in March. I honestly haven't used it too much, and I can get most stuff cheaper by shopping sales. I've decided not to renew, but I am going to continue using it for the 12 months I've already paid for (my favorite bread is seriously cheap there). The annoyance is that once your membership is 45 days from expiring Sam's starts the pressure to renew. By pressure, I mean automatically adding it to your order without asking. I'm lucky I noticed, honestly. Since Sam's is a warehouse store, you buy in bulk and it's not uncommon for me to end up spending $100-150 in a trip. Between my acceptance of a high total, not being the best about keeping more than a general idea of what's in the cart, and the 3 kids who start acting like insane, over caffeinated squirrel monkeys once we get to the check out, it would have been very easy for me to not notice the charge. Luckily the first time it came up I had run in for literally one thing and I got quite the sticker shock. I asked how that price was possible, and the cashier told me that my membership renewal was added on. When I told him I didn't want to renew (which was a bit awkward for me personally. I would rather just let the membership quietly lapse as opposed to having to tell the employee every time that I don't care to shop there anymore), he couldn't just take it off. He had to call a supervisor over to remove the charge.

The next time I went in I told the cashier I wasn't renewing today, but it was put on again. And again the supervisor had to come over and take it off. It's a hassle and a pain at this point, and I was actually considering just ending my membership that day and seeing if they'll give me a prorated refund for the last month. This is all going through my head while I waited for the supervisor to come over. The supervisor asked the cashier what she needed, cashier told her I wanted the renewal taken off, and that's when Supervisor seriously annoyed me. She looked at me and explained, as if I were just a bit dense, that they bill---they BILL--45 days out to avoid any interruption in service, and that it was going to keep popping up until I took care of it. That really grates my cheese. This isn't a "bill". I don't owe Sam's Club a dang thing! I've paid for my 12 months, that's all I want. I'm doing a poor job of explaining, but her tone was really one of "well you need to pay it, this isn't just going to go away. You need to live up to your obligations." Now, if this was the electric company, I could see them getting firm with someone who wasn't paying for their service. If I was under contract, like with the phone company, I could see them making sure I pay on time. But this is a voluntary prepaid account. I have no obligation to renew, I have no need to be scolded like an irresponsible deadbeat.

If Sam's simply offered the option of renewing, or if the cashier pointed out that my membership was about to expire, I would have absolutely no problem with that. Honestly, I would view that as good customer service. It's just the way they're doing it that makes me see red.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5446 on: February 26, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »
I am almost done with Sam's Club, also.

They no longer carry my fave drink, can never find the chips my family likes, and they rearrange everything about every three months, it seems!  Must have coupon, nope, it will auto scan, never mind, out-of-stock!

I have friends that ask me to tag-along when they go to CostCo and I always like it. 

Hmmm...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Reika

« Reply #5447 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
I was done with Sam's club a long time ago between horrible customer service, bad selection of stuff in general, and prices that were higher than the Wally World that was literally right next door.

I'm currently with BJ's, they just give me a reminder when my membership is about to expire, and ask if I want to renew then, but that's it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5448 on: February 27, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
I second BJ's Wholesale.  They have NEVER pulled something like that!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #5449 on: February 27, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
I'll never shop there again anyway because I'm just visiting, but the Levi's outlet store at the mall near my son's house will never get my business.

We went in there yesterday, and I was looking for the women's plus size jeans. They actually have a style that fit me fairly well.  I couldn't find them, and I couldn't find an employee to help me, either.  The manager had all of the employees gathered up at the back of the store at a display that wasn't set up properly or something.  She was haranguing them in the most insulting, condescending, sarcastic way I have ever seen one human use to communicate with another, complete with eye rolling and ridiculous mugging. "Do you understaaaaaaand?  Do - you - seeeeeee?"  Ugh.  I'd call the store to report her, but I'm afraid I'd just get her on the phone.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5450 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
The shop at the hospital I work at.  It's always been expensive, but this? Really?

- 1 x loaf of white bread - Hospital shop 1.64, Pound shop 1
- 1 x large tin of soup (x2 servings) - Hospital shop 1.50, Pound shop x2 smalls (x1 serving each) 1
- 1 x small (300ml Lucozade) -Hospital shop 1.39, Pound shop 1 litre 1
- 1 x Cadburys Dairy Milk - Hospital shop 0.85, Pound shop pack of 5 1

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I now no longer go to the shop upstairs as it just doesn't make sense to.  I used to buy lunch when it was a reasonable 3 for sandwiches, crisps and a drink (way back when the tuna mayo sandwiches were actually a dream to eat!)...now it's 3.49 for a half stale sandwich, a packet of crisps and a small drink. You can only choose certain crisp flavours and the drinks have changed.  Given I do not like Coke (only the cherry variety) and won't be forced to drink it, I just don't buy the meal!! I asked whether the deal includes cherry Coke. No.  Only Coke, Diet or Diet with lemon. Includes regular Lucozade (not Orange flavour, which I like) and 7 up but not Mountain Dew.   

These days I buy all my stuff for the week from the Pound Shop and save myself a fortune!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5451 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:34 AM »
I'm getting fed up with Sam's Club. For those not familiar, it's a warehouse store that you pay an annual membership in order to be able to shop there. There's no long term contracts or anything; if you let your membership lapse you can't shop there until you renew it.

Well, my 12 month membership expires in March. I honestly haven't used it too much, and I can get most stuff cheaper by shopping sales. I've decided not to renew, but I am going to continue using it for the 12 months I've already paid for (my favorite bread is seriously cheap there). The annoyance is that once your membership is 45 days from expiring Sam's starts the pressure to renew. By pressure, I mean automatically adding it to your order without asking. I'm lucky I noticed, honestly. Since Sam's is a warehouse store, you buy in bulk and it's not uncommon for me to end up spending $100-150 in a trip. Between my acceptance of a high total, not being the best about keeping more than a general idea of what's in the cart, and the 3 kids who start acting like insane, over caffeinated squirrel monkeys once we get to the check out, it would have been very easy for me to not notice the charge. Luckily the first time it came up I had run in for literally one thing and I got quite the sticker shock. I asked how that price was possible, and the cashier told me that my membership renewal was added on. When I told him I didn't want to renew (which was a bit awkward for me personally. I would rather just let the membership quietly lapse as opposed to having to tell the employee every time that I don't care to shop there anymore), he couldn't just take it off. He had to call a supervisor over to remove the charge.

The next time I went in I told the cashier I wasn't renewing today, but it was put on again. And again the supervisor had to come over and take it off. It's a hassle and a pain at this point, and I was actually considering just ending my membership that day and seeing if they'll give me a prorated refund for the last month. This is all going through my head while I waited for the supervisor to come over. The supervisor asked the cashier what she needed, cashier told her I wanted the renewal taken off, and that's when Supervisor seriously annoyed me. She looked at me and explained, as if I were just a bit dense, that they bill---they BILL--45 days out to avoid any interruption in service, and that it was going to keep popping up until I took care of it. That really grates my cheese. This isn't a "bill". I don't owe Sam's Club a dang thing! I've paid for my 12 months, that's all I want. I'm doing a poor job of explaining, but her tone was really one of "well you need to pay it, this isn't just going to go away. You need to live up to your obligations." Now, if this was the electric company, I could see them getting firm with someone who wasn't paying for their service. If I was under contract, like with the phone company, I could see them making sure I pay on time. But this is a voluntary prepaid account. I have no obligation to renew, I have no need to be scolded like an irresponsible deadbeat.

If Sam's simply offered the option of renewing, or if the cashier pointed out that my membership was about to expire, I would have absolutely no problem with that. Honestly, I would view that as good customer service. It's just the way they're doing it that makes me see red.

I'd say this is a location issue.  Call corporate or wrote a letter to complain.  The Sam's club I go to never does this.  When my renewal was coming up, the computer would prompt the cashier, she'd ask me if I wanted my renewal added on today, I'd say no thanks, and that was the end of the discussion.  No guilt, no eye rolling, no calling the manager over to berate me.

On the other hand the BJ's nearest me, isn't all that great.  There prices are much higher than I expected. Also, they literally carry nothing I regularly purchase at Sam's, one of which I use everyday. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5452 on: February 27, 2014, 09:00:25 AM »
POD Dazi, my Sam's Club never automatically adds the renewal charge.

I had BJ's membership for one year and let it lapse, they were considerably more expensive for the same items I get at Sam's Club. Not worth the cost.

alkira6

« Reply #5453 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
I find that Sam's prices are like any other store - you have to make sure that you compare prices.  Rice, oh my yes if you eat it like we do buy it and don't worry about it going bad.  Bread, yes, meat, yes, toilet paper - maybe.  Other things - compare prices first.  Just because you can get a huge pack doesn't mean it's cheaper than buying several smaller packs.  They get you on laundry detergent like this.  Cheaper to buy the smaller bottles at Kroger when they are $2 for a 33 load bottle rather than pay $20 for a 146 load.  It's a better value for $10 at Kroger and you get 165 loads.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5454 on: February 27, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Elfmama wrote:

"I second BJ's Wholesale.  They have NEVER pulled something like that!"

We quit BJ's, but it wasn't due to any problem, we just never used it enough to make it worth the fee.  Our experience was the same, in that they offered reminders but never added it to the total without asking.

Virg

KarenK

« Reply #5455 on: February 27, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
My Sam's Club is fabulous. Similar to others, they simply remind us when our membership is about to lapse. You do have to watch prices, though, especially for canned food, and know when buying store brand somewhere else is cheaper than buying name brand in bulk at Sam's. We've just switched all our prescriptions there, including the ones for the cats, and that's the only place we buy gas.

And we have a business membership which allows us to shop at 7 am before the public.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5456 on: February 27, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
I shop at Costco, and yes, sometimes their prices for a 3 pack aren't any different than buying a single one at a "regular" store, but as long as its not more, I'll get that since I have limited free time, and its easier to keep a few in reserve, than run out.

Other things, yes, much cheaper, so I buy exclusively there. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5457 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
The cable companies stories made me think of this.

After TS Allison, my sister and everyone on her block had trouble with their internet. Cable was fine. The Time Warner customer service kept saying the problem was with everyone's computer. Now during Allison, the flood waters were more than 1/2 way up the yards in sister's street.

Sis had horrible service with DSL before that and didn't want to go back.  I think I've mentioned before my sister is NOT someone to tick off. She got hold of the local corporate number - not the customer service line.  She started calling and put in random numbers for different people's lines. In each voice mailbox (she started doing this at like 7 pm) she left the same message.

Basicly - Everyone on her block had there internet out and it had been since Allison. If they didn't send someone out to work on it, she was going to contact DSL people and talk them into giving the whole block a discount to sign up - because the block would be willing to go on air and explain why they were dropping TimeWarner.

She got a call back first thing the next morning wanting to know when she would be home to let the service people in. She told them what time she usually got home. Turns out all the customers on the street got similar phone calls. When she got home - the street had a  dozen Time Warner trucks. Turned out that a junction box that just handled internet side fo things things had been flooded and everything was rusting out.

She also got the other side of the story. One of those random voice mail numbers she dialed had gone to the top local guy's administrative assistant. That had launched an investigation and got these guys sent out. They had found multiple problems caused by the flooding and fixed those now were waiting for people to get home to make sure things were working in the houses. They had reported the problems back - and  phone logs/recordings of the complaints. Turned out that people in customer service were marking these as resolved, when they weren't it made their numbers look better.

The guy sent to Sis's house was the guy in charge of service for that area. He was very grateful because now his guys that were facing layoffs due to not having technical issues were going to keep their jobs. People in the call center not so much.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GreenBird

« Reply #5458 on: February 27, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »
The cable companies stories made me think of this.

After TS Allison, my sister and everyone on her block had trouble with their internet. Cable was fine. The Time Warner customer service kept saying the problem was with everyone's computer. Now during Allison, the flood waters were more than 1/2 way up the yards in sister's street.

Sis had horrible service with DSL before that and didn't want to go back.  I think I've mentioned before my sister is NOT someone to tick off. She got hold of the local corporate number - not the customer service line.  She started calling and put in random numbers for different people's lines. In each voice mailbox (she started doing this at like 7 pm) she left the same message.

Basicly - Everyone on her block had there internet out and it had been since Allison. If they didn't send someone out to work on it, she was going to contact DSL people and talk them into giving the whole block a discount to sign up - because the block would be willing to go on air and explain why they were dropping TimeWarner.

She got a call back first thing the next morning wanting to know when she would be home to let the service people in. She told them what time she usually got home. Turns out all the customers on the street got similar phone calls. When she got home - the street had a  dozen Time Warner trucks. Turned out that a junction box that just handled internet side fo things things had been flooded and everything was rusting out.

She also got the other side of the story. One of those random voice mail numbers she dialed had gone to the top local guy's administrative assistant. That had launched an investigation and got these guys sent out. They had found multiple problems caused by the flooding and fixed those now were waiting for people to get home to make sure things were working in the houses. They had reported the problems back - and  phone logs/recordings of the complaints. Turned out that people in customer service were marking these as resolved, when they weren't it made their numbers look better.

The guy sent to Sis's house was the guy in charge of service for that area. He was very grateful because now his guys that were facing layoffs due to not having technical issues were going to keep their jobs. People in the call center not so much.

Your sister is my hero!  That is amazing and brilliant!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5459 on: February 28, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »
My Sam's club also automatically renews membership when you shop there.  I am finished with them too.  Haven't missed it either.

Gordon's Jewelers is about to be on my never again list...

I bought a watch battery there two years ago - LIFETIME warranty for $20
I thought that was ridiculous for a watch battery but at $5 a year I could see breaking even within four years.  Of course the battery eventually stopped and I went in with my paperwork to get it replaced.  Both times I have been told they don't have that battery but come back in two weeks.  They are in the mall and I rarely shop there (been in there three times in last year - twice for the darn battery). 

So thus far I have been without my watch for over a month.  I suspect the lifetime warranty is not going to be worth anything...they won't carry that battery anymore and I'll be hosed.