News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 08:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2681167 times)

Mollie

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5490 on: March 10, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
If it's only been a week take it back to the place where you bought it from.  From what I've heard Dysons used to be wonderful and then over the past 5 years or so have fallen into the trap of trading in on their established reputation rather than continuing to produce a quality product.  I know 2 people with dysons that are over 10 years old that are wonderful.
I've had my Dyson for the past four years and I have to agree that it's just not worth the money that we purchased it for.  For about a year or two it worked really well, but I've noticed within the last year that it doesn't pick up stuff very well.  I also don't really like the hose attachment since it's so clunky and hard to maneuver.

If it is having trouble picking up stuff the bottom of the house is probably clogged.   You can easily detach it at the very bottom,  stretch it out and get stuck stuff out.   I've also had to pop the roller out and de-hair it... I'd like to blame the cats for this,  but its my hair that does it.

Let me know how that goes for you, please?

Sirius

« Reply #5491 on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
I'm getting fed up with Sam's Club. For those not familiar, it's a warehouse store that you pay an annual membership in order to be able to shop there. There's no long term contracts or anything; if you let your membership lapse you can't shop there until you renew it. <snip>

I was a Sam's Club member when I lived in California, as there was a decent one conveniently located on my route home from work.  There are no Sam's Clubs within 100 miles of where we now live in Oregon, yet when I canceled my membership because we were moving they told me, "The closest one to where you're going to be living is in SomeTowninWashington, and that's only two hours away. That's not that far to go."  Uh, no.  I'm not going to drive 2 hours just to save a few dollars on cat food.  Besides, we're only a two-person family and we don't need huge amounts of coffee filters or laundry detergent.  I go to Winco, and I can get everything I need right there at good prices, and I like how Winco treat the employees.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #5492 on: March 11, 2014, 02:47:28 AM »
All the stuff here about Holy Clothing was making me very nervous! At the time that stuff was posted, I had just placed an order for a dress:
http://holyclothing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/H/4/H482015_1.jpg

I have some other things from them, but those were bought a few years ago, from a Pagan/Goth shop in our area that sold their stuff.
I tried it on right out of the bag, and it was a good 4" too long, pooling on the floor. Before hemming it, I washed it- cold water, delicate setting. Then I let it lay out to dry.
End result? It lost a few inches of length, so now I don't need to hem it at all. But it still fits me around the chest :)

123sandy

« Reply #5493 on: March 11, 2014, 05:09:27 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Dyson are over priced and not worth it. We've had three, all rubbish. We had three cats so got the Dyson Animal, I could have cleaned the carpets better sucking through a straw. Had a temper tantrum one day, sent my husband out for a new vacuum, he came home with a cheapy, plugged it in and immediately the carpets were shades different! All the accumulated cat hair was gone. I'll never buy or recommend Dyson as long as I live.

Micah

« Reply #5494 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »
Yeah, add me to the list that don't like Dysons.....Paid $800 dollars for mine when I had my cleaning business and the thing was a nightmare. Good suction, but can't suck up anything bigger than a paper clip! And I was constantly having to unclog various bits of it.

When I closed the business I used the Dyson at home. The whole, "no bigger than a paper clip" thing doesn't work well when you have three cats, one long haired dog and a child in the house. Eventually it fatally choked and died on a mixture of cat/dog hair, kitty litter and lego pieces.

I went straight out and brought a wet/dry pet vax. LOVE IT. Better suction than a dyson, you can shampoo the carpets with it, suck the water off the floor when son floods the bathroom and cost a fraction of what the Dyson did. Having bags again is a slight pain, but they're 11 litre bags! Even in my house it takes ages to fill them.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

cicero

« Reply #5495 on: March 11, 2014, 07:27:36 AM »
Minneapolis airport. The story is too long and boring, but suffice to say that after the way they treated us (and the rest of our plane full of passengers who had a near-emergency landing at Heathrow, which was unnerving, followed by many hours of delays, leading to us getting in very very late and almost everyone missing their connections), I will never fly into that airport again. The inability to get an accurate answer about basic things like where we might find food, which I'd consider a basic and no doubt common question was simply astonishing. God forbid anyone might have had a medical condition requiring eating -- like say, being human. The snotty attitudes on top of the ignorance was mind-boggling.

Was is airport staff or employees of the airline who were less than helpful to you?
Airport staff.  Delta wasn't helpful in the slightest in terms of rebooking us, but it was the airport staff who were really mind-boggling in their lack of knowledge. For example -- I asked at the info booth, "What time do the restaurants in the airport close?" "I don't know."   One airport staffer told us to go "here" to spend the night, another told us to go "there", still another told us to go "some other place". It just went on and on and after you've now been up for over 30 hours straight with only one airline meal, you're not really equipped to handle the confusion.
reminds me of the time i flew to the US (from israel) through brussels. five hour layover going and 12 hour (planned) layover going back. first of all , it's the.most.boring airport in the world (sorry to all belgium people), there were i think 2 stores and a star bucks. on the going back - i arrived in the morning and had planned to spend the day sightseeing before catching a late evening flight home. I walked up to the desk marked "tourist information" and asked ... well touristy questions. they said "there is a tourist office in brussels, ask there". oh.kay. I found the tourist office in brusses and they charged money for everything - even a stupid city map (that was covered in advertisements, mind you). seriously? i never heard of that. it wasn't a lot of money but i refused to pay it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #5496 on: March 11, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of variability in peoples' experiences with Dysons! We bought one a couple of months ago - a 54 Animal - and it is AWESOME.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #5497 on: March 11, 2014, 07:50:31 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of variability in peoples' experiences with Dysons! We bought one a couple of months ago - a 54 Animal - and it is AWESOME.

I bought a Dyson last summer and it's fantastic. What I discovered about the carpets upstairs not so much.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5498 on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
Glad to know about the Dysons - my hubby has been wanting one for some time now, but since they're expensive and I had heard they weren't *THAT* good, we haven't gotten one.

We did a lot of research a few years back when we had to replace our ancient vacuum.  Eventually I came to the conclusion that a *new* vacuum (of pretty much any quality) cleans very well, and that more expensive vacuums just tend to hold their value better.  I opted for a lower-end-of-the-line one instead - one of the cheapest ones that was still decently thick plastic and had the add-ons I needed.  I can replace it three or four times for the same price as one of the fancier ones.

We solved our vacuum needs with a Rigid Shop Vac with every attachment imaginable and a Dirt Devil lightweight vacuum that is perfect for pet hair, stairs and cleaning high shelves. $150 for both.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #5499 on: March 11, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
The Sears Optical discussion reminded me of a story that's more of a "couldn't even shop there again, but definitely wouldn't." I might have told this story on here somewhere already...

When I first got out of college, I worked a retail job at a mall, so it was easiest to find an optometrist in the mall. I had great luck with the ones affiliated with Sears Optical for a while, but they kept "leveling" up to other, bigger practices! So I wasn't completely surprised to find a new guy there one year for my appointment.

And when I say new, I mean new. Some office furniture still packed, spouse at the reception desk, baby in a playpen in another room. The exam went fine, and I even gave the new doc some recommendations for things to do in town.

When my contact lenses hadn't arrived in a few weeks, I called Sears. The doctor had moved back to DeepSouthState after three days, and taken my prescription along! Somehow Sears Optical tracked it down and got my contacts for me (after what was probably a quite boring series of phone calls, but which in my head is like a little man-hunting scene from Burn Notice, with maybe more alligators  :P). But if I ever end up in DeepSouthState, there's one person who's not getting my business!
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #5500 on: March 12, 2014, 04:37:48 AM »

I bought a Dyson last summer and it's fantastic. What I discovered about the carpets upstairs not so much.

*cackle* Yeah, there is that.  ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #5501 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Dyson are over priced and not worth it. We've had three, all rubbish. We had three cats so got the Dyson Animal, I could have cleaned the carpets better sucking through a straw. Had a temper tantrum one day, sent my husband out for a new vacuum, he came home with a cheapy, plugged it in and immediately the carpets were shades different! All the accumulated cat hair was gone. I'll never buy or recommend Dyson as long as I live.

I used to love the old vax vacuums so I bought a new dual one and gave my old one away. The new vax was horrible. There was nothing wrong with it but the only thing that worked really well was the carpet shampooer. As a vacuum it (pardon the pun) sucked.

I managed to get my hands a second hand pet hair bagless Bissell vacuum and oh my freaking GOD it is FANTASTIC. I emptied the canister 8 times in my small lounge. It picked up  and air filtered everything and I was stunned at all  the invisible crud hidden in my carpet. Talk about feeling like a horrible housekeeper. The only complaints I have is that its a very heavy vacuum and can be difficult to manoeuvre and the brushes beat the carpet so hard you can build up a lot of static. At least I no longer get the dust and pet hair sneezes which I used to suffer from constantly despite daily vacuuming with my old vax.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be a try before you buy system for vacuums.

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5502 on: March 12, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
Well, the salespeople at Kirby would be happy to come over and let you try their system, and then buy it for a few thousand dollars!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #5503 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:03 PM »
I was thinking about saving up for a Dyson...but my sister got one (not one of the slim cordless models, the old kind with the gigantic ball) and she's only been able to use it three times. It's also broken three times. Every time she's used it. She got sick of sending it back only to have the same thing happen again. :(

I do have a very nice vacuum, though - a Hoover Sprint QuickVac. Not only does it have amazing cleaning power for a cheap vacuum, it even works on my strangely slanted floors without skipping a beat. Well worth it.
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

MissRose

« Reply #5504 on: March 16, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
After my parents recent incident with ATT, I am glad I do not have them for a phone provider. Their line is now fixed but it took my mother nearly 3 days of fighting over the phone with a lot of people plus at one point I called on their behalf on their cell phone plus tweeted to the ATT customer twitter account on my phone to get things accomplished.  The one agent promised a dispatch on Friday to fix the issue, and my mother documents stuff WELL then another said no that is not right, its Saturday.  When that discussion was going on, I took the phone from my mother, explained to her: they are both senior citizens, my father has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in assisted living 3 hours away, you will do whatever you can to expedite the issue.  The woman was insistent nothing was going to happen on Friday, it would be Saturday.  I demanded her manager, and she refused me several times then hung up on me.  I called back, explained again, and was assured someone would be out Saturday.  My mother did call me Saturday evening after finding out it was an issue with the ATT box outside causing the problems which ATT had to fix for them.  Makes me glad I do not have their landline service or any other service for that matter.