Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186076 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5505 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
Now wait a cotton picking minute here - I don't know what vacuum you're talking about, but I have two DC-14 Animal's for about 9 years now (one each for up and down stairs), and never had a problem with them.  No broken parts, and no loss of suction, even with the masses of Baren fur that accumulate around this place.  Recently, DH purchased the DC-44 stick from an EBay vendor, and it arrived missing a par (the box was torn all to heck by weather)t.  Dyson not only sent us a part, but registered all our vacuums for us, even the 14's, and sent us several cleaning pads for our DC-56 gratis.  The representative was nothing but helpful and professional.

No, I don't work for Dyson.

Dyson DC-14 but not an Animal - maybe that's the difference, I dunno. It is by far the worst vacuum I have ever owned. I've heard the Dyson customer support varies depending on where you are, but I can tell you for certain the person I spoke with in 2008 in Colorado was awful at customer service.  And I was really looking forward to owning one because I heard such great things about them. Not going to buy another one, that's for certain.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:34:31 PM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5506 on: March 10, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »
I've never owned anything from Dyson because they are too darn expensive, but I love their hand dryers that I've encountered in more and more restaurants and malls lately.  They actually work unlike the old-school dryers that just blow germy air around and leave your hands still wet even after 10 minutes.

Hillia

« Reply #5507 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
If it's only been a week take it back to the place where you bought it from.  From what I've heard Dysons used to be wonderful and then over the past 5 years or so have fallen into the trap of trading in on their established reputation rather than continuing to produce a quality product.  I know 2 people with dysons that are over 10 years old that are wonderful.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear of all the bad experiences. I bought my Dyson about 9 years ago, a reconditioned model.  The latch on the plastic canister broke after about a month, and Dyson sent me a whole new canister with no problem.  It's worked pretty well for that time, through many, many foster dogs and 5 of my own.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5508 on: March 10, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
Count me in as another Dyson lover.  I've had mine for years.   It is the only vacuum I've ever had that picks up all the cat hair and kitty litter. It's light and easy for me to use.

I can't imagine a Lowes refusing to refund or replace a week old defective product. I would have escalated that to corporate... Same with Dyson as well,  totally unacceptable.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

CuriousParty

« Reply #5509 on: March 10, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
I have to shop there, but I....hate...Verizon.

That is all.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #5510 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
I was interested in getting a Dyson at one time after hearing all the good things about them, but put it off due to the price.  Sounds like they used to be really, really good a few years ago (when I first got interested) but maybe the quality and service have declined since then?  Or at least that's the impression I'm getting from this thread--all the people happy with theirs bought them quite awhile ago.  If so, guess that's several hundred dollars I've been saved.  :-\

(Think there's any chance of getting a used one from ten years ago that's still in good shape?)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #5511 on: March 10, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
If it's only been a week take it back to the place where you bought it from.  From what I've heard Dysons used to be wonderful and then over the past 5 years or so have fallen into the trap of trading in on their established reputation rather than continuing to produce a quality product.  I know 2 people with dysons that are over 10 years old that are wonderful.

I've had my Dyson for the past four years and I have to agree that it's just not worth the money that we purchased it for.  For about a year or two it worked really well, but I've noticed within the last year that it doesn't pick up stuff very well.  I also don't really like the hose attachment since it's so clunky and hard to maneuver. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5512 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
I've had my Dyson for the past four years and I have to agree that it's just not worth the money that we purchased it for.  For about a year or two it worked really well, but I've noticed within the last year that it doesn't pick up stuff very well.  I also don't really like the hose attachment since it's so clunky and hard to maneuver.

If it is having trouble picking up stuff the bottom of the house is probably clogged.   You can easily detach it at the very bottom,  stretch it out and get stuck stuff out.   I've also had to pop the roller out and de-hair it... I'd like to blame the cats for this,  but its my hair that does it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mollie

« Reply #5513 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »

If it is having trouble picking up stuff the bottom of the house is probably clogged.   You can easily detach it at the very bottom,  stretch it out and get stuck stuff out.   I've also had to pop the roller out and de-hair it... I'd like to blame the cats for this,  but its my hair that does it.

Let me know how that goes for you, please?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5514 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »
I'm getting fed up with Sam's Club. For those not familiar, it's a warehouse store that you pay an annual membership in order to be able to shop there. There's no long term contracts or anything; if you let your membership lapse you can't shop there until you renew it. <snip>

I was a Sam's Club member when I lived in California, as there was a decent one conveniently located on my route home from work.  There are no Sam's Clubs within 100 miles of where we now live in Oregon, yet when I canceled my membership because we were moving they told me, "The closest one to where you're going to be living is in SomeTowninWashington, and that's only two hours away. That's not that far to go."  Uh, no.  I'm not going to drive 2 hours just to save a few dollars on cat food.  Besides, we're only a two-person family and we don't need huge amounts of coffee filters or laundry detergent.  I go to Winco, and I can get everything I need right there at good prices, and I like how Winco treat the employees.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #5515 on: March 11, 2014, 03:47:28 AM »
All the stuff here about Holy Clothing was making me very nervous! At the time that stuff was posted, I had just placed an order for a dress:
http://holyclothing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/H/4/H482015_1.jpg

I have some other things from them, but those were bought a few years ago, from a Pagan/Goth shop in our area that sold their stuff.
I tried it on right out of the bag, and it was a good 4" too long, pooling on the floor. Before hemming it, I washed it- cold water, delicate setting. Then I let it lay out to dry.
End result? It lost a few inches of length, so now I don't need to hem it at all. But it still fits me around the chest :)

123sandy

« Reply #5516 on: March 11, 2014, 06:09:27 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Dyson are over priced and not worth it. We've had three, all rubbish. We had three cats so got the Dyson Animal, I could have cleaned the carpets better sucking through a straw. Had a temper tantrum one day, sent my husband out for a new vacuum, he came home with a cheapy, plugged it in and immediately the carpets were shades different! All the accumulated cat hair was gone. I'll never buy or recommend Dyson as long as I live.

Micah

« Reply #5517 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
Yeah, add me to the list that don't like Dysons.....Paid $800 dollars for mine when I had my cleaning business and the thing was a nightmare. Good suction, but can't suck up anything bigger than a paper clip! And I was constantly having to unclog various bits of it.

When I closed the business I used the Dyson at home. The whole, "no bigger than a paper clip" thing doesn't work well when you have three cats, one long haired dog and a child in the house. Eventually it fatally choked and died on a mixture of cat/dog hair, kitty litter and lego pieces.

I went straight out and brought a wet/dry pet vax. LOVE IT. Better suction than a dyson, you can shampoo the carpets with it, suck the water off the floor when son floods the bathroom and cost a fraction of what the Dyson did. Having bags again is a slight pain, but they're 11 litre bags! Even in my house it takes ages to fill them.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5518 on: March 11, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
Minneapolis airport. The story is too long and boring, but suffice to say that after the way they treated us (and the rest of our plane full of passengers who had a near-emergency landing at Heathrow, which was unnerving, followed by many hours of delays, leading to us getting in very very late and almost everyone missing their connections), I will never fly into that airport again. The inability to get an accurate answer about basic things like where we might find food, which I'd consider a basic and no doubt common question was simply astonishing. God forbid anyone might have had a medical condition requiring eating -- like say, being human. The snotty attitudes on top of the ignorance was mind-boggling.

Was is airport staff or employees of the airline who were less than helpful to you?
Airport staff.  Delta wasn't helpful in the slightest in terms of rebooking us, but it was the airport staff who were really mind-boggling in their lack of knowledge. For example -- I asked at the info booth, "What time do the restaurants in the airport close?" "I don't know."   One airport staffer told us to go "here" to spend the night, another told us to go "there", still another told us to go "some other place". It just went on and on and after you've now been up for over 30 hours straight with only one airline meal, you're not really equipped to handle the confusion.
reminds me of the time i flew to the US (from israel) through brussels. five hour layover going and 12 hour (planned) layover going back. first of all , it's the.most.boring airport in the world (sorry to all belgium people), there were i think 2 stores and a star bucks. on the going back - i arrived in the morning and had planned to spend the day sightseeing before catching a late evening flight home. I walked up to the desk marked "tourist information" and asked ... well touristy questions. they said "there is a tourist office in brussels, ask there". oh.kay. I found the tourist office in brusses and they charged money for everything - even a stupid city map (that was covered in advertisements, mind you). seriously? i never heard of that. it wasn't a lot of money but i refused to pay it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #5519 on: March 11, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of variability in peoples' experiences with Dysons! We bought one a couple of months ago - a 54 Animal - and it is AWESOME.
"Set aphasia to stun!"