Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1185124 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5520 on: March 11, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
I have to shop there, but I....hate...Verizon.

That is all.

You're preaching to the choir, sister!  I've already posted about my particular Verizon horror story, but it's been okay once I got it settled. I got 3 months of free DSL out of them for that, and my phone has turned out to be considerably more dependable in bad weather than the cable (which is why I'm still not considering transferring to cable modem).

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #5521 on: March 11, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of variability in peoples' experiences with Dysons! We bought one a couple of months ago - a 54 Animal - and it is AWESOME.

I bought a Dyson last summer and it's fantastic. What I discovered about the carpets upstairs not so much.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5522 on: March 11, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »
Glad to know about the Dysons - my hubby has been wanting one for some time now, but since they're expensive and I had heard they weren't *THAT* good, we haven't gotten one.

We did a lot of research a few years back when we had to replace our ancient vacuum.  Eventually I came to the conclusion that a *new* vacuum (of pretty much any quality) cleans very well, and that more expensive vacuums just tend to hold their value better.  I opted for a lower-end-of-the-line one instead - one of the cheapest ones that was still decently thick plastic and had the add-ons I needed.  I can replace it three or four times for the same price as one of the fancier ones.

We solved our vacuum needs with a Rigid Shop Vac with every attachment imaginable and a Dirt Devil lightweight vacuum that is perfect for pet hair, stairs and cleaning high shelves. $150 for both.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #5523 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
The Sears Optical discussion reminded me of a story that's more of a "couldn't even shop there again, but definitely wouldn't." I might have told this story on here somewhere already...

When I first got out of college, I worked a retail job at a mall, so it was easiest to find an optometrist in the mall. I had great luck with the ones affiliated with Sears Optical for a while, but they kept "leveling" up to other, bigger practices! So I wasn't completely surprised to find a new guy there one year for my appointment.

And when I say new, I mean new. Some office furniture still packed, spouse at the reception desk, baby in a playpen in another room. The exam went fine, and I even gave the new doc some recommendations for things to do in town.

When my contact lenses hadn't arrived in a few weeks, I called Sears. The doctor had moved back to DeepSouthState after three days, and taken my prescription along! Somehow Sears Optical tracked it down and got my contacts for me (after what was probably a quite boring series of phone calls, but which in my head is like a little man-hunting scene from Burn Notice, with maybe more alligators  :P). But if I ever end up in DeepSouthState, there's one person who's not getting my business!
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #5524 on: March 12, 2014, 05:37:48 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of variability in peoples' experiences with Dysons! We bought one a couple of months ago - a 54 Animal - and it is AWESOME.

I bought a Dyson last summer and it's fantastic. What I discovered about the carpets upstairs not so much.

*cackle* Yeah, there is that.  ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #5525 on: March 12, 2014, 06:54:24 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Dyson are over priced and not worth it. We've had three, all rubbish. We had three cats so got the Dyson Animal, I could have cleaned the carpets better sucking through a straw. Had a temper tantrum one day, sent my husband out for a new vacuum, he came home with a cheapy, plugged it in and immediately the carpets were shades different! All the accumulated cat hair was gone. I'll never buy or recommend Dyson as long as I live.

I used to love the old vax vacuums so I bought a new dual one and gave my old one away. The new vax was horrible. There was nothing wrong with it but the only thing that worked really well was the carpet shampooer. As a vacuum it (pardon the pun) sucked.

I managed to get my hands a second hand pet hair bagless Bissell vacuum and oh my freaking GOD it is FANTASTIC. I emptied the canister 8 times in my small lounge. It picked up  and air filtered everything and I was stunned at all  the invisible crud hidden in my carpet. Talk about feeling like a horrible housekeeper. The only complaints I have is that its a very heavy vacuum and can be difficult to manoeuvre and the brushes beat the carpet so hard you can build up a lot of static. At least I no longer get the dust and pet hair sneezes which I used to suffer from constantly despite daily vacuuming with my old vax.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be a try before you buy system for vacuums.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5526 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Well, the salespeople at Kirby would be happy to come over and let you try their system, and then buy it for a few thousand dollars!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #5527 on: March 12, 2014, 05:32:03 PM »
I was thinking about saving up for a Dyson...but my sister got one (not one of the slim cordless models, the old kind with the gigantic ball) and she's only been able to use it three times. It's also broken three times. Every time she's used it. She got sick of sending it back only to have the same thing happen again. :(

I do have a very nice vacuum, though - a Hoover Sprint QuickVac. Not only does it have amazing cleaning power for a cheap vacuum, it even works on my strangely slanted floors without skipping a beat. Well worth it.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

MissRose

« Reply #5528 on: March 16, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
After my parents recent incident with ATT, I am glad I do not have them for a phone provider. Their line is now fixed but it took my mother nearly 3 days of fighting over the phone with a lot of people plus at one point I called on their behalf on their cell phone plus tweeted to the ATT customer twitter account on my phone to get things accomplished.  The one agent promised a dispatch on Friday to fix the issue, and my mother documents stuff WELL then another said no that is not right, its Saturday.  When that discussion was going on, I took the phone from my mother, explained to her: they are both senior citizens, my father has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in assisted living 3 hours away, you will do whatever you can to expedite the issue.  The woman was insistent nothing was going to happen on Friday, it would be Saturday.  I demanded her manager, and she refused me several times then hung up on me.  I called back, explained again, and was assured someone would be out Saturday.  My mother did call me Saturday evening after finding out it was an issue with the ATT box outside causing the problems which ATT had to fix for them.  Makes me glad I do not have their landline service or any other service for that matter.

lkdrymom

« Reply #5529 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
After my parents recent incident with ATT, I am glad I do not have them for a phone provider. Their line is now fixed but it took my mother nearly 3 days of fighting over the phone with a lot of people plus at one point I called on their behalf on their cell phone plus tweeted to the ATT customer twitter account on my phone to get things accomplished.  The one agent promised a dispatch on Friday to fix the issue, and my mother documents stuff WELL then another said no that is not right, its Saturday.  When that discussion was going on, I took the phone from my mother, explained to her: they are both senior citizens, my father has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in assisted living 3 hours away, you will do whatever you can to expedite the issue.  The woman was insistent nothing was going to happen on Friday, it would be Saturday.  I demanded her manager, and she refused me several times then hung up on me.  I called back, explained again, and was assured someone would be out Saturday.  My mother did call me Saturday evening after finding out it was an issue with the ATT box outside causing the problems which ATT had to fix for them.  Makes me glad I do not have their landline service or any other service for that matter.

Same customer service as Verizon. They promised someone would be at my home to fix the problem 7 DAYS IN A ROW. This required me to take time off of work or arrange for someone to be at my home. Everytime I called it was 'Oh well they will be there tomorrow'.  I called them over this 23 times and after the 5th phone call I was not longer polite and I used some pretty rough language.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5530 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »

Same customer service as Verizon. They promised someone would be at my home to fix the problem 7 DAYS IN A ROW. This required me to take time off of work or arrange for someone to be at my home. Everytime I called it was 'Oh well they will be there tomorrow'.  I called them over this 23 times and after the 5th phone call I was not longer polite and I used some pretty rough language.
Call your state's Public Service Commission.  Within the hour, Verizon will miraculously send someone out even though they have told you that there is no one available.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MissRose

« Reply #5531 on: March 17, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »

Call your state's Public Service Commission.  Within the hour, Verizon will miraculously send someone out even though they have told you that there is no one available.

I will keep that in mind if my parents tell me they have issues again and get the run around.  When I had to jump on the phone and chew out the so called manager and get hung up on, that is even worse in terms of services.  I've tweeted on twitter and left posts on Facebook for ATT, and by the looks of things on ATT's FB page,  my parents are not the only ones who have had issues with poor customer service.

nayberry

« Reply #5532 on: March 17, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »

I will keep that in mind if my parents tell me they have issues again and get the run around.  When I had to jump on the phone and chew out the so called manager and get hung up on, that is even worse in terms of services.  I've tweeted on twitter and left posts on Facebook for ATT, and by the looks of things on ATT's FB page,  my parents are not the only ones who have had issues with poor customer service.

re fb,  post it on your page as well as their page and make a note on the post on theirs that its on yours too,  a lot of firms seem to think that deleting comments gets rid of issues...

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #5533 on: March 17, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
I second posting on the company's FB page.  A couple of years ago I was getting the run-around getting a refund from a local hospital. They had just merged with a larger hospital and had been merging bookkeeping systems, so I understand that things take awhile, however, I couldn't get anyone to call me back, etc. I posted on the FB page and within minutes I got a message back asking how they could help. Check appeared very soon thereafter.

Last month, I called AAA because of a flat tire. The number I called failed to transfer it to the correct area to handle it. An hour later, I call again and there's no record of my call and gee, sorry, it will be another hour. AFter all was said and done, it was 2.5 hours before the tire was changed. I complained about it on their FB page (politely, but pointedly) and received a message and call with apologies and a discount on next year's dues.

I think more and more companies are taking social media seriously, especially when the complaint is well-founded and well-written and not just a crazy rant.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5534 on: March 19, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »
Please don't presume to speak for all of us in SoCal in that way. I've never used it with that meaning, nor have I ever heard it used that way.

Do you honestly believe that she meant that every single one of the 38 million Californians uses the term rudely?

Haven't read this thread in awhile so I totally missed this discussion I unintentionally stirred up.

So, first -- apologies for the misunderstanding as, no, I don't mean I think everyone in California (CA) means it this way.

Secondly -- I was once told by a friend (and fellow Californian) that "Have a nice day" (yes with tone!) is *our* way of saying FU (I had no idea up until that point; I think we were in our 20s when she told me).  In my exchange with that person who got my order wrong, her attitude and look on her face, together with the phrase, made it quite clear what she was conveying to me (a drug rep did this at my doctor's office one day also when I refused to let her continue to commandeer the office staff for her drop-in visit when I was in the middle of being assisted by them -- the drug rep kept interrupting and, finally, I asserted myself and said, "Hi, I'd like to finish my appointment as I have people waiting for me outside so could you finish helping me first, please" which earned me nasty looks from the drup rep; I have to admit I gave the "Have a nice day" right back at her as I didn't care that I "interfered").