Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1244237 times)

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5535 on: March 20, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
My parents insurance company. Never will I use them.

I bought a car about a month ago, and due to my only having a learning permit (long story) i understand insurance might be a bit more because I"m also the legal owner of this car. My parents insurance wanted to charge 2000$ a month for my car.  :o WHAT? No. I get that I don't have a driving history yet, but that's taking it overboard. I mean, even with having full coverage due to financing.

Granted I think we scared the car dealership. My dad had a 2008 BMW Motorcycle that he gave me as the downpayment for our car. They don't see many people my age do that I guess, because the dealer we went to is for no credit buyers.

One call to gieco and a very mystified insuance agent later and I now have auto insurance for the low price of 100$ a month.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5536 on: March 20, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »

I bought a car about a month ago, and due to my only having a learning permit (long story) i understand insurance might be a bit more because I"m also the legal owner of this car. My parents insurance wanted to charge 2000$ a month for my car.  :o WHAT? No. I get that I don't have a driving history yet, but that's taking it overboard. I mean, even with having full coverage due to financing.

Granted I think we scared the car dealership. My dad had a 2008 BMW Motorcycle that he gave me as the downpayment for our car. They don't see many people my age do that I guess, because the dealer we went to is for no credit buyers.

One call to gieco and a very mystified insuance agent later and I now have auto insurance for the low price of 100$ a month.

Please tell me that's a typo.  You can buy a used car every month for that!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5537 on: March 20, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
I just got a Dyson a little over a year ago, and LOVE it.  Best vacuum I've ever had, so far.  I think it's the DC25 Animal.  I love how it rolls on the ball thing so that you can angle it wherever you want.  It has great suction and does really well even with ground-in dirt.  I love how easy it is to switch back and forth to the hose with a nozzle fitting thing, and how it even has a long tube so that you can make it reach really high or get into weird places.  I do have the girls go through and pick up larger stuff, and then after I go through with the vacuum I have them pick up anything it missed, which generally is stuff larger than a paperclip.  There are several filters you have to keep up with, and I once got a wire stuck in the hose and was terrified that it would puncture it, but I got it out.  My biggest complaint was the wordless manual... I guess they wanted to save on translation costs?  So it's all pictures with arrows and stuff.  Very difficult to understand.  Of course, my vacuum before that was a very old traditional vacuum, so this one just feels very sleek and does all sorts of great stuff.  My dad had gotten one (same model but not the Animal version) and I tried his and loved it, so that's why I got this one.  It wasn't nearly as expensive as what some people have mentioned, though.  I think we got it at Kohl's or somewhere like that with a great discount.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5538 on: March 20, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »

That is INSANE.

When I am doing one of my periodic insurance quote checks, I never even bother getting one from Geico. Years ago, I got an offer for a X% discount because I owned stock in a company that was part (or full, I don't know) owner of Geico. So I called for a quote. With the discount, they wanted more than double what anyone else was asking. I was quite happy with my existing insurance, and stayed with them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nayberry

« Reply #5539 on: March 20, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »

That is INSANE.

When I am doing one of my periodic insurance quote checks, I never even bother getting one from Geico. Years ago, I got an offer for a X% discount because I owned stock in a company that was part (or full, I don't know) owner of Geico. So I called for a quote. With the discount, they wanted more than double what anyone else was asking. I was quite happy with my existing insurance, and stayed with them.

happens in the UK too,  of course people go to the press but the only mention the most expensive quotes they get not the normal ones.  people forget that if a company is quoting you it just means they don't want your business.

found a link to one example  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1392614/Teenager-quoted-72-000-insure-600-Vauxhall-Corsa.html

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #5540 on: March 20, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
If it's only been a week take it back to the place where you bought it from.  From what I've heard Dysons used to be wonderful and then over the past 5 years or so have fallen into the trap of trading in on their established reputation rather than continuing to produce a quality product.  I know 2 people with dysons that are over 10 years old that are wonderful.
I've had my Dyson for the past four years and I have to agree that it's just not worth the money that we purchased it for.  For about a year or two it worked really well, but I've noticed within the last year that it doesn't pick up stuff very well.  I also don't really like the hose attachment since it's so clunky and hard to maneuver.

If it is having trouble picking up stuff the bottom of the house is probably clogged.   You can easily detach it at the very bottom,  stretch it out and get stuck stuff out.   I've also had to pop the roller out and de-hair it... I'd like to blame the cats for this,  but its my hair that does it.

I've already done this a few times and the sucking power still seems to be diminished. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5541 on: March 20, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
Re:  Car insurance.

My Dad was looking at buying a new car and was contemplating giving his old one to my oldest nephew who was about to get his license.  On the way home from passing his exam, he and his mother stopped at the insurance agent to have him added to his parents' insurance.  He asked how much it would be for him to insure my Dad's car, were he to get it.  $9000/yr.  It would have been $3000/yr if he'd been female.  Or as he put it, 'If I didn't have a p3nis.'   :)  He opted not to get the car.  Now that my stbxSIL is not at the house anymore, though, there are three drivers for one vehicle.  It is a real juggling act to get everyone where they need to go.

So JolieFille?  You're getting a great deal at $100/mth.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #5542 on: March 20, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
When I was a nanny and started working for this one family, they put me on their car insurance. The first quote they got rated the most at-risk driver (me, under 25 at the time) with their most expensive car, the dad's little red Porsche, a car i would never drive. They didn't tell me the number, just that it was :o.

We ended up signing papers stating that I would never get in the driver's seat of the Porsche.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

jfost

« Reply #5543 on: March 21, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »
Your experience with Dyson has been far different than ours. After a couple of years the suction decreased greatly. In for repair many times, they swear there is nothing wrong, but no matter how well maintained the Dyson has not lived up to its supposed reputation.  We will be buying a new vacuum shortly because new flooring is being installed, but it will not be a Dyson.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5544 on: March 21, 2014, 02:28:56 AM »
When I was a nanny and started working for this one family, they put me on their car insurance. The first quote they got rated the most at-risk driver (me, under 25 at the time) with their most expensive car, the dad's little red Porsche, a car i would never drive. They didn't tell me the number, just that it was :o.

We ended up signing papers stating that I would never get in the driver's seat of the Porsche.

I think that's pretty common among insurance companies, especially if there are more drivers than there are cars. By the time I got my license at 16, my parents owned three cars (one for each of them, and one that they bought for my brother's, and then my, use). I vaguely remember them having to do something specific to declare that I was the primary driver of the car they had for my use, which was also the oldest and cheapest of the three. Otherwise, the insurance company would have put me on the most expensive car. It doesn't have anything to do with the logic of who drives what. It's really about the logic of getting the premiums as high as possible because that covers the insurance company's butt in case of a claim, and gets them the most profit.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #5545 on: March 21, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
The PetCo near my office is no longer a place I will ever stop.

Two months ago I needed a bag of kibble for my dog.  She eats Blue Buffalo Freedom for Small Breeds.  Well, the store didn't have any on the shelves.  The well meaning stocker brought me to a couple of pallets that were just delivered.  He thought he saw the right color bags -- long story short, I returned to my office from lunch without a bag of kibble, but pretty dirty.  Stopped at PetsMart on the way home.

Yesterday, I'm low on kibble and at a store next to the Petco.  In I go.  I checked the flyer and the ten pound bags of Blue Buffalo Freedom are on sale!  Yippee!!  When I get to the location for the kibble, I learn that the sale is only good for BBF for Puppies and BBF for Large Breeds.  I walked out without kibble.   I would rather pay full price anywhere else. 

I realize this sale is a low threshold of intolerance, but really, why is it a sale if only two types are on sale?
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5546 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »

Two months ago I needed a bag of kibble for my dog.  She eats Blue Buffalo Freedom for Small Breeds.  Well, the store didn't have any on the shelves.  The well meaning stocker brought me to a couple of pallets that were just delivered.  He thought he saw the right color bags -- long story short, I returned to my office from lunch without a bag of kibble, but pretty dirty.  Stopped at PetsMart on the way home.

Yesterday, I'm low on kibble and at a store next to the Petco.  In I go.  I checked the flyer and the ten pound bags of Blue Buffalo Freedom are on sale!  Yippee!!  When I get to the location for the kibble, I learn that the sale is only good for BBF for Puppies and BBF for Large Breeds.  I walked out without kibble.   I would rather pay full price anywhere else. 

I realize this sale is a low threshold of intolerance, but really, why is it a sale if only two types are on sale?

Along those lines, I hate when sales on pop are 4/$12 but you HAVE to buy all 4 to get the savings.  I am trying to cut back on the amount of pop I drink, I don't want to buy that much cause it will just sit there, tempting me..
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #5547 on: March 21, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »

PetCo is gross. Cramped, smelly, poorly stocked, weird layout. There are 3 different ones near me and they're all awful.

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #5548 on: March 21, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »

Please tell me that's a typo.  You can buy a used car every month for that!

I wish it where a typo. I told the woman at geico and she was like. . . 'but we don't penalize for driviers who are learning. . what?' I throughly confused her.

I have another place to add to my list. Rocky's Autos. It's the place I got my car from and they treated me just fine; however their treatment of my boyfriend has been dismal.

He went in with his tax return and got a nice car same year as mine; put his downpayment on it and on the way home got stopped for illegally tinted windows.  >:( Okay first strike against Rocky's, letting a car leave a lot with a know illegal modification.

Three days later they call him and demand 700$ more as a downpayment. My bf got scared and upset because he put all his money down and didn't have anymore. So his mom called, read them the riot act about how this was the contract that was signed; if they didn't do the math right that isn't our fault but they don't get to demand more money like that.

They cut 1000$ off the price of his car and made the loan work.

He got a call yesterday; and he has to go in BECAUSE THEY LOST HIS CONTRACT! CRUD MONKEYS! i just feel like this is another attempt to con him out of money. I told him to give them a copy of the copy he had kept, and to not sign anything else without throughly reading it. I also want him to mention the illegal tinting he has to replace thanks to their incompetence. -sigh- So my goal is get my little car paid off so I NEVER have to go to them again.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5549 on: March 21, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
Spring Water, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences at Petco. I've shopped them in two different towns where I've lived, and aside from their propensity to put certain items in a merchandise line on sale, but not all, I've had no complaints. The store here is neat and tidy, and the staff are more than willing to help me reach or carry items. (Of course, I was noticeably younger when I shopped the other store, so that may factor in to the offers of help. :))
I've never checked to see if the sales are in the ads, but I could see a local store wanting to put some kinds of pet food on sale, if they were under-selling, to get rid of them before they went stale or rancid.