Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1247529 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5565 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
I can believe that a credit card can be lost in the blink of an eye.  On numerous occasions, I have set a driver's license down for an instant only to have it vanish.  Most of the time, it has slipped down, but being so thin and small, they can slide into the smallest slots.  Fortunately, most of ours will slide all the way through to the floor, but some are not recovered for years until we are renovating, and happen to find little slots fill with old licenses.

I once worked with a guy who lost a customer's credit card in a tiny crack between a counter and a wall. Worse, the customer was about to leave on a vacation! We tried everything and finally concluded there was no way to get it out short of demolishing the entire counter with major power tools. I don't remember how it was resolved in the end.

Under the circumstances, I don't think it would have been unreasonable for the customer to insist on exactly that.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5566 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
I can believe that a credit card can be lost in the blink of an eye.  On numerous occasions, I have set a driver's license down for an instant only to have it vanish.  Most of the time, it has slipped down, but being so thin and small, they can slide into the smallest slots.  Fortunately, most of ours will slide all the way through to the floor, but some are not recovered for years until we are renovating, and happen to find little slots fill with old licenses.

I once worked with a guy who lost a customer's credit card in a tiny crack between a counter and a wall. Worse, the customer was about to leave on a vacation! We tried everything and finally concluded there was no way to get it out short of demolishing the entire counter with major power tools. I don't remember how it was resolved in the end.

Under the circumstances, I don't think it would have been unreasonable for the customer to insist on exactly that.

Rob

Quite possibly, but that wouldn't have made it any more possible given the hurry he was in, lack of said tools in the store, and other circumstances. This was years ago and I don't remember all the details, nor was I privy to what the owner worked out with the customer in the end. I am pretty sure the counter did not get demolished.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5567 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
I guess the thing is, if I'm about to go on vacation and you (the business) lose my credit card through no fault of mine, I expect you to move heaven and earth to do SOMETHING that'll make up for it immediately so that my vacation isn't disrupted. If power tools aren't practical, handing over some cash would be valid. But anything that leaves me with no money, no credit card, and no way to do anything about it until my vacation's over, would leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth,
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5568 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
I guess the thing is, if I'm about to go on vacation and you (the business) lose my credit card through no fault of mine, I expect you to move heaven and earth to do SOMETHING that'll make up for it immediately so that my vacation isn't disrupted. If power tools aren't practical, handing over some cash would be valid. But anything that leaves me with no money, no credit card, and no way to do anything about it until my vacation's over, would leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth,

This is the kind of thing that drives lawyers into Happy Heaven.  I would certainly understand the frustration - but what is it you really expect them to do?

The best possible solution is for the credit card company to overnight you a replacement card, if that's impossible then I have to wonder WHAT would really make you happy?

You have a $3000 line of credit on your card, is the business supposed to GIVE you $3000 so you can take a free vacation on them?  What if it's $10,000 would that make it better for you?  What's the reasonable expectation here?  If you planned on spending $2400 would you like the business to front you $2400 and then when your replacement card gets here have them put the $2400 on your credit card... I think there's a reasonableness standard that needs to apply here. 

It would still leave a sour taste in your mouth no matter what they did at that point. But truly accidents happen, they didn't lose it intentionally and now that they know there is a problem their going to make sure it never happens again. I just don't see what reasonable expectation customers see for businesses to abide by sometimes - just because WMart has deep pockets doesn't mean they owe you a $10,000 vacation, maybe $500 for your inconvenience. 

These are the kinds of lawsuits that clog our courtrooms - not completely frivolous but ridiculous demands. (And I'm not referring to YOU specifically, just the public in general)

nayberry

« Reply #5569 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »

This is the kind of thing that drives lawyers into Happy Heaven.  I would certainly understand the frustration - but what is it you really expect them to do?

The best possible solution is for the credit card company to overnight you a replacement card, if that's impossible then I have to wonder WHAT would really make you happy?

You have a $3000 line of credit on your card, is the business supposed to GIVE you $3000 so you can take a free vacation on them?  What if it's $10,000 would that make it better for you?  What's the reasonable expectation here?  If you planned on spending $2400 would you like the business to front you $2400 and then when your replacement card gets here have them put the $2400 on your credit card... I think there's a reasonableness standard that needs to apply here. 

It would still leave a sour taste in your mouth no matter what they did at that point. But truly accidents happen, they didn't lose it intentionally and now that they know there is a problem their going to make sure it never happens again. I just don't see what reasonable expectation customers see for businesses to abide by sometimes - just because WMart has deep pockets doesn't mean they owe you a $10,000 vacation, maybe $500 for your inconvenience. 

These are the kinds of lawsuits that clog our courtrooms - not completely frivolous but ridiculous demands. (And I'm not referring to YOU specifically, just the public in general)

i'd expect any business that was careless enough to mislay my cc to cover all of my out of pocket expenses.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5570 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
This is why we have 3 credit cards.

I know it is said that the more credit cards a person has the more the credit score is affected. We know accidents like the above happen, either by us or a business, so we can cancel the lost card and continue living.

Even if the business is culpable and it works out in the long run, it is a major inconvenience, so we have ways to avoid that.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5571 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »

Sure, but...it kind of feels like you're going off on me about it??  :-\  (a) This was at least five years ago. (b) I didn't drop the card. (c) I wasn't the manager either. This was just something I witnessed happen to a co-worker. I did help in the fruitless attempts to MacGyver the card out, which was the full extent of my involvement with the situation. I think Redneck Gravy is also correct that there are solutions involving the credit card company and emergency cards. You'd be totally within your rights to have it leave a bad taste in your mouth, too, of course. But I'm rather wishing I'd never related the story.

darling

« Reply #5572 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
All I know is that if I were the manager in a case like that, you can bet that I would be tearing apart the counter, and comping their meal, and probably handing over a couple of gift cards, too. I'd get their card back. But I'm pretty stubborn.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #5573 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
All I know is that if I were the manager in a case like that, you can bet that I would be tearing apart the counter, and comping their meal, and probably handing over a couple of gift cards, too. I'd get their card back. But I'm pretty stubborn.

The only problem with that is (and I am sure this has happened to others not just me) when the customer is calming the card was not returned but it was.

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5574 on: March 26, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »

i'd expect any business that was careless enough to mislay my cc to cover all of my out of pocket expenses.

Again, I think therein lies the question: what do you consider out of pocket expenses?

What exactly are you going to have to do "without" for the next 24/48 hours until a replacement card arrives?  If you had planned on paying for it with a credit card and now can't pay that way I have to wonder what you would do if you went somewhere and your credit card was not accepted - pay with another method or just not participate at that event/place?  What if your card were stolen, do you have a backup plan for that?

I'm the first to agree the business should not lose your cc and walk off scot free - but really what would you realistically expect them to pay out for that ?  They should bend over backwards to help you get a replacement card but truly after that what would be a reasonable expectation? 

nayberry

« Reply #5575 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
well for starters i'd expect them to pay any charges the cc company charge for overnighting a card to me.

Figgie

« Reply #5576 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »
While eating on a deck out over the ocean in a restaurant in Florida, the waiter took our credit card and it slipped out of his fingers.  It fell through the planks into the water and as we watched, a wave came in and the credit card disappeared into the ocean.  :)

Accidents happen.  We were on vacation and going from place to place, so there was no way that the credit card company could overnight us a new card very easily. We've had credit cards overnighted to us at least a dozen times over the years and have never, ever been charged anything for that service.

I don't go on vacations with only one credit card.  It is too easy for cards to be compromised (I'm looking at you parking garage in Washington DC).  :)   It is my responsibility to plan for those possibilities.

In the case of the credit card being dropped, the restaurant manager apologized and we used the restaurant phone (before the days of everyone having cell phones) to call the credit card company and cancel the card.  The restaurant manager comped us our meal and apologized again and again.  And while I didn't expect them to comp the meal, it did go a long way towards making me feel better about the hassles involved in us having to get the card reissued.  :)

magicdomino

« Reply #5577 on: March 26, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »

I don't go on vacations with only one credit card.  It is too easy for cards to be compromised (I'm looking at you parking garage in Washington DC).  :)   It is my responsibility to plan for those possibilities.

Agreed.  I also carry a back-up credit card in case the first one is damaged, stolen, lost, or frozen for "suspicious" transactions.  Last thing that I want on vacation is to be stranded in a strange place.  The back-up card and the credit card companies' contact numbers are stored in a different place (usually hidden in a suitcase) in case my purse or wallet is stolen.

gmatoy

« Reply #5578 on: March 26, 2014, 08:39:30 PM »

Agreed.  I also carry a back-up credit card in case the first one is damaged, stolen, lost, or frozen for "suspicious" transactions.  Last thing that I want on vacation is to be stranded in a strange place.  The back-up card and the credit card companies' contact numbers are stored in a different place (usually hidden in a suitcase) in case my purse or wallet is stolen.

I have a way to e-mail myself the info in a type of code, which so far I have not had to use. I have had stuff stolen out of my checked suitcase from one airline. I think you are wise to hide it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5579 on: March 27, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
I have mobile banking in addition to cards, so I can transfer money to myself at a local bank with 24 hour delay at the most.