News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 21, 2017, 10:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2457456 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5565 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
I have only had a few classes that required the latest edition of the book, so I generally buy one that is an older edition for less money.

However, if you need access to a website that is included in the text? You must buy a new book or track down the access key separately.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #5566 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
I don't know, sometimes it certainly does feel like price gouging and I doubt that the motive is to make it so only kids from wealthy families can afford college, but it does sometimes seem as though campus stores will charge more than what's reasonable when they know they have a monopoly on a certain book.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #5567 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
My son is going to college this fall - we've decided to start at a community college before transferring to a 4 year university. The community college charges $11/credit hours for books, so only $165 for 15 hours of class!  Woot! Big selling point for Mom.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5568 on: March 27, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
I remember seeing something on fbook somewhat recently where someone was ranting that a college education seemed to be geared only to the 1%, and were discouraging the "lower classes" from getting an education by needlessly hiking prices on textbooks only available at the campus store.

Part of me rolled my eyes but part of me thought "Well..."

I only buy the books for myself or my kids if the Instructor says it is REQUIRED.  We used to just run through the book store at the college and buy what they said, a couple of times we never even pulled the wrapping off.  We have long since found several online stores, Ebay, Amazon and others that rent or sell for much less.  The bookstore at the college is ridiculous for books, yet actually pretty reasonable on clothing ?

Textbook prices are outrageous.  I know history changes, duh, but a new book every year for the American Revolution class, I think  N O T !

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #5569 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
Don't miss those days! "You need XYZ textbook, but this specific version because it has this particular CD that you'll never use with it, and good luck finding it online because we haz all the copies at the bookstore here for 3x the price, muahaha! And when you come back to resell it to us, we'll only give you $3!"

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #5570 on: March 27, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
A local business here made national news--a man was charged with human trafficking. He brought an employee from their home country promising a good job, but in reality forced the employee to work in his family member's business for free to pay off the debt. Not sure if the family member's business is going to survive this. Which is too bad, it was a nice establishment, well needed in our community. But it'll be hard to shake the bad press, even if the family member had no idea, which is doubtful.

Hillia

« Reply #5571 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
Back in 1980 when I started college, there was a bustling trade in used textbooks on campus.  The start of each semester saw hundreds of notices on dorm bulletin boards, in the student union, etc, offering books for various courses.  It might have been local to that area, though, because when I transferred in my junior year I didn't see near as many individual sales offered,

ladyknight1

« Reply #5572 on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »
We have a university version of Craigslist with postings. However, many are old and have not been updated in over 90 days, so I am not sure how valid the posts are.

The used book prices are more than I would pay online with shipping.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

gmatoy

« Reply #5573 on: March 27, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
That is ridiculous.

I no longer purchase books from the university bookstore, unless I can get them no other way. I can get everything else cheaper and faster from the internet using bookfinder dot com.

Example: My Human Anatomy class this fall. There are two required textbooks, and six recommended supplemental materials. Required books listed first.

University Bookstore Price                                                                     Online Price
$92.50 only available at the bookstore
$91.45                                                                                                    $57.48
$59.50                                                                                                    $3.00
$62.20                                                                                                    $39.03
$195.80                                                                                                  $109.83
$69.00                                                                                                    $16.25
_______                                                                                                 ________
$570.45 plus sales tax                                                                         $318.09 including the mandatory book written by the professor and only available at the bookstore.
Per the bolded: I think it should be banned to require your own textbook for your class. DH had an instructor who handed out copies of his textbook for free. You could buy one or use his free copies and it didn't matter to him!

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #5574 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »
That is ridiculous.

I no longer purchase books from the university bookstore, unless I can get them no other way. I can get everything else cheaper and faster from the internet using bookfinder dot com.

Example: My Human Anatomy class this fall. There are two required textbooks, and six recommended supplemental materials. Required books listed first.

University Bookstore Price                                                                     Online Price
$92.50 only available at the bookstore
$91.45                                                                                                    $57.48
$59.50                                                                                                    $3.00
$62.20                                                                                                    $39.03
$195.80                                                                                                  $109.83
$69.00                                                                                                    $16.25
_______                                                                                                 ________
$570.45 plus sales tax                                                                         $318.09 including the mandatory book written by the professor and only available at the bookstore.
Per the bolded: I think it should be banned to require your own textbook for your class. DH had an instructor who handed out copies of his textbook for free. You could buy one or use his free copies and it didn't matter to him!

It's not that simple, unfortunately. For one of my history classes, one of the recommended-but-not-required books was by the instructor, because he really was one of the authorities on the subject. (Nobody was required to take that specific class: the way the distribution requirements were written, most people took at least one history class, but the reason so many people took that course is that he had a reputation as a really interesting lecturer, not because that many undergraduates were otherwise interested in the subject.)

On the other hand, one of the math professors had written a calculus textbook, not very good, that was required for first-year calculus regardless of who was teaching it--except the semester that the author was on sabbatical, when nobody used his book. I'm not sure what was going on with the academic politics, such that his colleagues were unwilling to risk upsetting him in person about this, but didn't mind that he was going to come back from his sabbatical and discover that none of his colleagues liked his book that much. They don't tell undergraduates that sort of thing, but "Professor so-and-so is on sabbatical this semester" and the lists of required books are published.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5575 on: March 27, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
I remember getting readers, which were books of articles that the lecturer put together for tutorials. They could only be got at the university print shop. I used to get mine spiral bound so they'd lie flat.

But I still remember my lecturer getting annoyed when I didn't purchase books from the university book shop for her classes. I was buried in books that semester, particularly Greek and Latin translations so I wanted to try and save money somewhere.

ladyknight1

« Reply #5576 on: March 27, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »
In this case, I have no issue getting the book the professor wrote. Several times so far, I have had to buy a book that did not fit the way the class was taught. Or even worse, had to buy multiple books for one class.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #5577 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
LOL!  Makes me think of Professor Lockhart from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

I remember taking a history class during one of the winter semesters and having to read a book that was incredibly poorly written. I mean every chapter made the same blasted point.  Yes, I get it, a wife's duty was to balance the books and manage the slaves on the plantation while her husband was away, you don't need to hammer that point home every blasted chapter.

I remember the frustration of paying $65 or more on a book only to get maybe $3 back. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5578 on: March 27, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
The ONE time I skimped on buying the "required" books - my Old Testament class.  I already had a Bible and really didn't see the need to spend $40 to get one at the campus bookstore.

Turns out, some versions of the Bible have whole extra BOOKS mine was missing  :P  I had to borrow my (Catholic) roommate's Bible for those chapters . . .

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5579 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »
Because the Bible is translated from multiple languages, and has different books for different sects of Christianity, I'd be sure I was getting the right Bible. From what I recall, there is a comma in one sentence of the Bible that is the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism. That comma changes the entire meaning of the sentence.