Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1161727 times)

BeautifulDisaster

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5565 on: March 22, 2014, 03:30:52 AM »
This isn't a "I'll never shop there again", but I'll definitely think twice before going to this particular location.

One of my favorite Mexican restaurants is La Hacienda Ranch. There's three locations that I know of, I usually go to one of two locations but tonight we decided to go to the third because we were on that side of town. It's Friday night, so they're typically PACKED, but we got lucky and were seated right away; getting a waiter who was like a magician - any time we asked for anything he brought it near immediately. At the end of the meal we asked for two to go boxes and the check. This is where things went bad.

They lost my husband's debit card. Five minutes after picking up the check DH says "I think they lost the card", I look behind me to see a manager, our waiter and multiple other waiters frantically searching all around the register with their phone flash lights. (restaurant has low lighting). Another five to ten minutes goes by, they're still frantically looking and no one has come to say anything to us so DH gets up and goes to ask if that's what happened. The waiter confirms that yes, they lost the card, and apologizes multiple times. We wait, and wait, and wait. I'm keeping a close eye on our bank account just in case it walked out with another customer who decides to go get gas with it or something. I note they had already swiped the card to pay for our meal.

Finally the manager comes over and apologizes, tells us she has voided the payment made with the card and is comping our meal, gives us vouchers for three meals free and takes our information so if they find the card they can call us. She assured us that she and the other manager on duty had both searched the waiter and would continue to look for the card, saying it would be easier once they closed as they could turn all the lights on. We went ahead and tipped the waiter about half of what we would have tipped had the card not been lost, as the service he provided the rest of the evening WAS good.

I placed a hold on the debit card so if it did/does walk out with anyone it can't be used and if we get it back we can simply reactive it. Otherwise it'll be canceled and have a new one sent.

But I really want to know how in ehell you lose a customer's debit card...

andi

« Reply #5566 on: March 22, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »
That's scary - but chances are it slid between something hard to get to. At least I hope that's it

My nail salon lost my wedding band.

I always loop all my rings on my watch band and lay them on top of my cell phone next to me. Then I pick them up and put them on when im done. This time, the nail tech picked them up and handed them to me (upside down) while he was gathering towels. Engagement ring was there - no wedding band

45 minutes of searching on hands and knees - nothing. They went through the towel bin, nothing. Noticed someone had put a load of towels in the washer so they promised to call me later. Nothing that night.

Heard nothing the next day so I went back after work. Nope - claimed they searched. Told them them I'd bring my paperwork by the next afternoon so they could replace it. Heard nothing so took my paper wok over only to be told that since no one saw me take the ring off - they were not responsible.  How did they know the ring was really there?  Even though their emplyee was the last one to touch my stuff. (I've been going there 2 years, never had a tech touch my jewelry before)  Let them know I was NOT happy and left with steam coming out my ears

Got a text the day around lunch - they found my ring - in the washing machine.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5567 on: March 22, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
I don't know - but 35 years ago in college, I was working as a waitress.  I swiped a card (back when that meant making a carbon copy for them to sign, not electronics) and took it, a pen, and the carbons for them to sign. 

They insisted that I had not brought it back.  It was not in the credit card machine area.  The cashier insisted that it was nowhere around the register.

I still have no idea where it might have gone - other than sliding off the plastic tray & under the table...then under the bench (crack where it was sitting on the carpet).  Not much of one, but credit cards are thin....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5568 on: March 22, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »
Great Lakes Airlines.  Despite the name, this tiny airline operates out of Denver, connecting it with several small towns in the mountain West.  DD15 is spending spring break with her closest friend, who lives in Sheridan, Wyoming.   DH and I agreed to let her fly alone, and she's been a champ!  GLA, on the other hand, not.  The flight to Denver was delayed slightly, but she had a three-hour layover there so we weren't worried.  Without explanation, GLA cancelled the flight she was supposed to take to Sheridan.  We had the airline on one phone, and DD on another.  I made very clear to the agent that a 15 year old girl was NOT spending the night in Denver and she better be on the next flight (the evening flight was the last of the day) or I would be filing complaints with the BBB, the Wyoming Attorney General, and the FAA, not to mention social media.  DD arrived in Sheridan last night after waiting for six hours, and she said the plane was no larger than a school bus and there was a "shower curtain" separating the pilots from passengers  ::)

Now I'm nervous for her return trip next week.  The next time she goes, I'll find some other alternative than this airline, even the bus or a driver :P.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:18:12 PM by guihong »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5569 on: March 24, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
I can believe that a credit card can be lost in the blink of an eye.  On numerous occasions, I have set a driver's license down for an instant only to have it vanish.  Most of the time, it has slipped down, but being so thin and small, they can slide into the smallest slots.  Fortunately, most of ours will slide all the way through to the floor, but some are not recovered for years until we are renovating, and happen to find little slots fill with old licenses.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5570 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
I can believe that a credit card can be lost in the blink of an eye.  On numerous occasions, I have set a driver's license down for an instant only to have it vanish.  Most of the time, it has slipped down, but being so thin and small, they can slide into the smallest slots.  Fortunately, most of ours will slide all the way through to the floor, but some are not recovered for years until we are renovating, and happen to find little slots fill with old licenses.

I once worked with a guy who lost a customer's credit card in a tiny crack between a counter and a wall. Worse, the customer was about to leave on a vacation! We tried everything and finally concluded there was no way to get it out short of demolishing the entire counter with major power tools. I don't remember how it was resolved in the end.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5571 on: March 24, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »

I once worked with a guy who lost a customer's credit card in a tiny crack between a counter and a wall. Worse, the customer was about to leave on a vacation! We tried everything and finally concluded there was no way to get it out short of demolishing the entire counter with major power tools. I don't remember how it was resolved in the end.

a piece of paper with tape to reinforce works

blueyzca01

« Reply #5572 on: March 24, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »
I think I have to put Home Depot on the list, if only for purchasing large appliances.  I haven’t had any problems with anything else.

DH and I bought a new stackable washer and dryer in November.  When their delivery company installed it, they did not put the proper rubberized “feet” on the bottom of the dryer (to prevent scratching), and for some reason didn’t know how to properly install the machines so they were flush.  We ended up with the washer sticking out a few inches.  Hubby and I were arguing with the installers because we couldn’t understand how they weren’t able to line up the machines like everyone else’s.  Very annoying.

We just did a renovation in the house and had to move the washer and dryer again.  And we discovered that the top of the washer was severely scratched.  I spent an hour on the phone with Home Depot; 5 different transfers, 4 phone numbers, 3 “hang-ups,” 2 supervisors and a partridge in a pear tree later, managed to get a new replacement machine delivered to the house.

BUT, when the new set of installers arrived, they proceeded to tell me that they weren’t able to install the stacking kit with the rubberized feet AND there was no way to get the machines flush. DH finally inspected the machines and realized that they had installed a bracket backwards, so that fixed the alignment… Then, they mysteriously produced a different stacking kit and LOOK!!!  This one has the proper rubberized feet so the top of the washer won’t get scratched. 

It’s almost like their employment application reads:
Do you like driving around in a truck?  Do you like people?  Can you lift some heavy things?  Then come work for Tempco!!  Don’t worry about installation…someone else will fix it  ::)
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5573 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »

Under the circumstances, I don't think it would have been unreasonable for the customer to insist on exactly that.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5574 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »

Under the circumstances, I don't think it would have been unreasonable for the customer to insist on exactly that.

Rob

Quite possibly, but that wouldn't have made it any more possible given the hurry he was in, lack of said tools in the store, and other circumstances. This was years ago and I don't remember all the details, nor was I privy to what the owner worked out with the customer in the end. I am pretty sure the counter did not get demolished.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5575 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
I guess the thing is, if I'm about to go on vacation and you (the business) lose my credit card through no fault of mine, I expect you to move heaven and earth to do SOMETHING that'll make up for it immediately so that my vacation isn't disrupted. If power tools aren't practical, handing over some cash would be valid. But anything that leaves me with no money, no credit card, and no way to do anything about it until my vacation's over, would leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth,
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5576 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
I guess the thing is, if I'm about to go on vacation and you (the business) lose my credit card through no fault of mine, I expect you to move heaven and earth to do SOMETHING that'll make up for it immediately so that my vacation isn't disrupted. If power tools aren't practical, handing over some cash would be valid. But anything that leaves me with no money, no credit card, and no way to do anything about it until my vacation's over, would leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth,

This is the kind of thing that drives lawyers into Happy Heaven.  I would certainly understand the frustration - but what is it you really expect them to do?

The best possible solution is for the credit card company to overnight you a replacement card, if that's impossible then I have to wonder WHAT would really make you happy?

You have a $3000 line of credit on your card, is the business supposed to GIVE you $3000 so you can take a free vacation on them?  What if it's $10,000 would that make it better for you?  What's the reasonable expectation here?  If you planned on spending $2400 would you like the business to front you $2400 and then when your replacement card gets here have them put the $2400 on your credit card... I think there's a reasonableness standard that needs to apply here. 

It would still leave a sour taste in your mouth no matter what they did at that point. But truly accidents happen, they didn't lose it intentionally and now that they know there is a problem their going to make sure it never happens again. I just don't see what reasonable expectation customers see for businesses to abide by sometimes - just because WMart has deep pockets doesn't mean they owe you a $10,000 vacation, maybe $500 for your inconvenience. 

These are the kinds of lawsuits that clog our courtrooms - not completely frivolous but ridiculous demands. (And I'm not referring to YOU specifically, just the public in general)

nayberry

« Reply #5577 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »

This is the kind of thing that drives lawyers into Happy Heaven.  I would certainly understand the frustration - but what is it you really expect them to do?

The best possible solution is for the credit card company to overnight you a replacement card, if that's impossible then I have to wonder WHAT would really make you happy?

You have a $3000 line of credit on your card, is the business supposed to GIVE you $3000 so you can take a free vacation on them?  What if it's $10,000 would that make it better for you?  What's the reasonable expectation here?  If you planned on spending $2400 would you like the business to front you $2400 and then when your replacement card gets here have them put the $2400 on your credit card... I think there's a reasonableness standard that needs to apply here. 

It would still leave a sour taste in your mouth no matter what they did at that point. But truly accidents happen, they didn't lose it intentionally and now that they know there is a problem their going to make sure it never happens again. I just don't see what reasonable expectation customers see for businesses to abide by sometimes - just because WMart has deep pockets doesn't mean they owe you a $10,000 vacation, maybe $500 for your inconvenience. 

These are the kinds of lawsuits that clog our courtrooms - not completely frivolous but ridiculous demands. (And I'm not referring to YOU specifically, just the public in general)

i'd expect any business that was careless enough to mislay my cc to cover all of my out of pocket expenses.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5578 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
This is why we have 3 credit cards.

I know it is said that the more credit cards a person has the more the credit score is affected. We know accidents like the above happen, either by us or a business, so we can cancel the lost card and continue living.

Even if the business is culpable and it works out in the long run, it is a major inconvenience, so we have ways to avoid that.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5579 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »

Sure, but...it kind of feels like you're going off on me about it??  :-\  (a) This was at least five years ago. (b) I didn't drop the card. (c) I wasn't the manager either. This was just something I witnessed happen to a co-worker. I did help in the fruitless attempts to MacGyver the card out, which was the full extent of my involvement with the situation. I think Redneck Gravy is also correct that there are solutions involving the credit card company and emergency cards. You'd be totally within your rights to have it leave a bad taste in your mouth, too, of course. But I'm rather wishing I'd never related the story.