Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1134468 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5625 on: March 28, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »
We have two of the only experts on Maya archaeology on staff, so I completely understand.

Those of you with Amazon accounts who have purchased ebooks from them in the past, check your account for a credit from a ebook publishers price fixing scheme. I received $11 toward my next ebook.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5626 on: March 28, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
Finding a bible that would have the apocrypha in it is really difficult in my town.  There's a Christian store, but from what I've seen it mostly caters to the Protestant denominations.  Well, most of them anyway.  My church (Episcopal) is technically Protestant but we use (at least my church does) the New Revised Standard Version and that can't be found at that store.  And you won't find any bibles used by the Catholic church.

But the bookstore in the mall has a small religious section and they do have a few Catholic bibles but no NRSV bibles so I just have the NIV version and that doesn't have the apocrypha.
http://unbound.biola.edu/ has the NRSV as one of the choices.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5627 on: March 28, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
We have two of the only experts on Maya archaeology on staff, so I completely understand.

Those of you with Amazon accounts who have purchased ebooks from them in the past, check your account for a credit from a ebook publishers price fixing scheme. I received $11 toward my next ebook.
Also Barnes and Noble.  Got one a couple of days ago.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5628 on: March 28, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

It's not that simple, unfortunately. For one of my history classes, one of the recommended-but-not-required books was by the instructor, because he really was one of the authorities on the subject. (Nobody was required to take that specific class: the way the distribution requirements were written, most people took at least one history class, but the reason so many people took that course is that he had a reputation as a really interesting lecturer, not because that many undergraduates were otherwise interested in the subject.)

Exactly. I took The History of Africa to 1800 and one of the texts was at least partially written by the professor- not surprising as he was one of THE authorities on Africa to 1800. (Jan Vansina for the curious.)

Along similar lines, the required textbook was the only one on the topic for a required course in my program and was written by the former instructor, one of the leading authorities. Unfortunately it was out of print, so copies of it were at least $200. Fortunately my boss had gone through the same program and had a copy that I could borrow until I saved up enough to buy my own (it would be really helpful in the future.) One day the now-retired instructor stopped by the office to catch up with my boss and saw me reading the book. During small talk it came up that I was borrowing a copy because it was pretty expensive.

The next day I found a new copy on my desk with a nice note from him.

gmatoy

« Reply #5629 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »

It's not that simple, unfortunately. For one of my history classes, one of the recommended-but-not-required books was by the instructor, because he really was one of the authorities on the subject. (Nobody was required to take that specific class: the way the distribution requirements were written, most people took at least one history class, but the reason so many people took that course is that he had a reputation as a really interesting lecturer, not because that many undergraduates were otherwise interested in the subject.)

Exactly. I took The History of Africa to 1800 and one of the texts was at least partially written by the professor- not surprising as he was one of THE authorities on Africa to 1800. (Jan Vansina for the curious.)

Along similar lines, the required textbook was the only one on the topic for a required course in my program and was written by the former instructor, one of the leading authorities. Unfortunately it was out of print, so copies of it were at least $200. Fortunately my boss had gone through the same program and had a copy that I could borrow until I saved up enough to buy my own (it would be really helpful in the future.) One day the now-retired instructor stopped by the office to catch up with my boss and saw me reading the book. During small talk it came up that I was borrowing a copy because it was pretty expensive.

That was nice of him!

Jocelyn

« Reply #5630 on: March 28, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
My son is going to college this fall - we've decided to start at a community college before transferring to a 4 year university. The community college charges $11/credit hours for books, so only $165 for 15 hours of class!  Woot! Big selling point for Mom.
I met with my student advisors today to select a textbook for one of my classes for fall. We're allowed to change texts after 4 semesters of using it. One of the books we were looking at had a list price of $175. The university rents books to students (and has for almost a hundred years!) so that they pay a set fee per class, so it's not any of their concern whether the texts cost $20 or $200. However, if the university only charged $11 a credit hour, that would mean they'd only make $33 per semester, so that after 4 semesters they'd still be losing money on that $175 text.
On the other hand, another good point about the text rentals is that I decided to go with 2 texts. I always feel bad about using material out of a 2nd book without requiring it as a text, because then those authors don't sell any books.

shadowfox79

« Reply #5631 on: March 29, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »

Wish one of my lecturers had been that nice.

During my Masters I had to take a module I had no interest in - it was a small course and so they insisted we all did the same electives, and I got my choice in semester 1 so for semester 2 I had to do the one everyone else wanted. The lecturer was, frankly, an idiot. Not only did he basically make us teach ourselves, but the only text for the class was a book that was out of print, not in the library and unavailable everywhere we looked.

He made photocopies of the chapters he was using and put them in the English department library, which meant we had to go and request them and then sit together swapping pages with each other so that we could do what little work he set himself.

Oh, we had fun writing his module evaluation, I can tell you.

Kariachi

« Reply #5632 on: March 29, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

Wish one of my lecturers had been that nice.

During my Masters I had to take a module I had no interest in - it was a small course and so they insisted we all did the same electives, and I got my choice in semester 1 so for semester 2 I had to do the one everyone else wanted. The lecturer was, frankly, an idiot. Not only did he basically make us teach ourselves, but the only text for the class was a book that was out of print, not in the library and unavailable everywhere we looked.

He made photocopies of the chapters he was using and put them in the English department library, which meant we had to go and request them and then sit together swapping pages with each other so that we could do what little work he set himself.

Oh, we had fun writing his module evaluation, I can tell you.

My last English professor required a book one of his friends had written. Now, a lot of us tried to save money on the books for his class by using our own or buying them from outside sources. Well, turns out that nobody had that book. The author's website didn't even have the book available. So we go to the school store, only to find that they'd been sold out. A good chunk of my class was never able to find the book, too many to share the few copies, and our teacher just ignored our pointing that out to him.

Did I mention that a five page report on the symbolism in the book was required to pass the class, and not turning it in was an automatic F?

Yeah. I didn't even bother with the other essays, waste of time.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5633 on: March 29, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
Not sure if this should go in the Darwin award thread or here, but anyway: yesterday I went to a sports store for new running/walking shoes. I walked in , wearing my old beat up but still very recognizable shies, let's call them Runners, in pink/white/black. I told the salesperson, I need a new paid, exactly like these, adding ( in case she didn't know), " they are Runners, style Waterfall 6" ( I'm not being snobbish or condescending; this company has very distinctive style and I would assume that if you work in a large sporting goods store, you would know). She led me over to a pile of shoes and said, " here, these are Jungle Gyms and they're on sale" ( and no, they didn't even look like mine). I said, again, "Runners". waterfall. Six". So she led me to the Runners display and showed me style "Desert 34". I said " but I need waterfall six".

Her reply?

Ready?

"But these are the same. They're pink"

I think my brain exploded

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

turtleIScream

« Reply #5634 on: March 31, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
Zazzle.com. My daughter's 14th birthday is coming up, and she is a digital artist. We placed an order on Zazzle for a custom t-shirt using one of her designs. We got the order confirmation, which said processing would be 3-5 days, then shipping 3-5 days. It has been 8 business days, and I just wanted to track the order status. I logged in to view my order, and discovered that it has been cancelled. No email notification, no explanation, just cancelled. I don't know if the particular shirt/color was out of stock, if there was an issue with the artwork, or what the reason was, so I am wary of trying again. We still have 3 weeks to come up with another gift, but we were so excited about this idea! At least they didn't charge our credit card.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5635 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
Zazzle.com. My daughter's 14th birthday is coming up, and she is a digital artist. We placed an order on Zazzle for a custom t-shirt using one of her designs. We got the order confirmation, which said processing would be 3-5 days, then shipping 3-5 days. It has been 8 business days, and I just wanted to track the order status. I logged in to view my order, and discovered that it has been cancelled. No email notification, no explanation, just cancelled. I don't know if the particular shirt/color was out of stock, if there was an issue with the artwork, or what the reason was, so I am wary of trying again. We still have 3 weeks to come up with another gift, but we were so excited about this idea! At least they didn't charge our credit card.

Try VistaPrint - there's often deals on LivingSocial.com or retailmenot.com, and they'll send you a t-shirt/mug/tote bag/etc. with your own artwork for a very reasonable rate.

nayberry

« Reply #5636 on: March 31, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

Try VistaPrint - there's often deals on LivingSocial.com or retailmenot.com, and they'll send you a t-shirt/mug/tote bag/etc. with your own artwork for a very reasonable rate.

check the small print very carefully,  they were in trouble in the UK for signing people up for things they didn't want and charging them!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5637 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
I like Cafepress.  They have a pretty quick turn around time and the digital printing is high quality. 

Spreadshirt is ok as well, but I haven't used them in a few years. 

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5638 on: March 31, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
I have gone to my local print shop. Good service, fast turn around and it looked great.

turtleIScream

« Reply #5639 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! My sister also recommended Cafepress, so we might give that a try. We are waiting for a response from Zazzle with more specifics; it looks like we may have flagged it for copyright infringement (we are in the clear, but they may need convincing). We shall see how everything gets resolved.