Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1273888 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5640 on: April 01, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
This is fairly minor, but did make me raise an eyebrow.

I ordered contact lenses from my local Costco Optical a week ago after an appointment with their optician (who tried to hard sell me on LASIK despite my protests). It was a little challenging to get service at the counter, but nothing terrible. Sunday I went at opening to pick up the lenses that had come in and found the only employee at the counter filing her nails. I stood no more than two feet from her across the counter where she couldn't help but notice me and fished through my purse obviously to make some noise. After a solid 10 seconds he slowly looked up at me, not breaking her rhythm filing, and asked me what I needed and immediately put her attention back to her manicure. She got my contacts with a little huffing like I was asking a lot.

I haven't a clue what her problem was with doing her job, but it was quite off-putting. When I ordered my contacts the same woman was quite unhelpful to a lady asking if they stocked a certain designer with an answer of, "Whatever we have is out."

I'd think she clearly didn't want to be working and figure I'd give her a hand by reporting her to her supervisor.  >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

alkira6

« Reply #5641 on: April 01, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »
What is it lately with surly employees?  Admittedly to make my life easier we now get most of our food and sundries delivered but even on those rare occasions when I have to go into an actual store people are obviously ready to be somewhere else and don't care is you know it.

Mandible

« Reply #5642 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
Slightly off topic:

As a former college bookstore assistant manager, please do not 1) yell at the employees about the prices, 2) ask for a discount or 3) ask where you can get the books for cheaper. 1) I was in charge of ordering them and we also had to pay through the nose for them and put a 25% mark up on them as per company policy. 2) When has that ever worked? And no, it's not funny after the millionth time. 3) I am not allowed to tell you. I can give you the ISBN, but I cannot help you. And no, you can't sit in the aisle and read the next chapter before class and not buy the book.

Ok, back to regularly scheduled posts.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5643 on: April 01, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
Our campus bookstore is a Barnes & Noble location. They don't even let students to the area where the textbooks are kept, they just bring you the ones you need and you go pay for them.

gmatoy

« Reply #5644 on: April 01, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Slightly off topic:

As a former college bookstore assistant manager, please do not 1) yell at the employees about the prices, 2) ask for a discount or 3) ask where you can get the books for cheaper. 1) I was in charge of ordering them and we also had to pay through the nose for them and put a 25% mark up on them as per company policy. 2) When has that ever worked? And no, it's not funny after the millionth time. 3) I am not allowed to tell you. I can give you the ISBN, but I cannot help you. And no, you can't sit in the aisle and read the next chapter before class and not buy the book.

Okay, as per 2: My university bookstore did in fact give a discount to the students of said university. So, I would have asked and received a discount. And I would not have known your stores policy without asking. It is not rude to politely ask.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #5645 on: April 01, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »
Our campus bookstore is a Barnes & Noble location. They don't even let students to the area where the textbooks are kept, they just bring you the ones you need and you go pay for them.

I hate that. I love browsing through what the professors are assigning (English major/Anthropology minor, so lots of interesting topics!) Even though I'm not taking the class I would love to at least read the back covers of the books, if not buy them.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

nayberry

« Reply #5646 on: April 01, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »
even if i have to pay import fees, i'm never buying anything from this particular trader on amazon again.

trader is only amazon seller of WidgetA, its something i thought would be nice to have and isn't a necessity.  however, when the box arrived instead of new version WidgetA, which i'd specifically chosen, i received oldwidgeta.  and whilst they have been good about returning and (hopefully) refunding, the communication skills of the company as a whole are abysmal!!  3 days to get a response to any messages and then when arranging to return no notification of when the courier would arrive, except for when he arrived!!!

if the refund hasn't appeared by the end of this week i'm going over their heads and straight to amazon a-z claims.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5647 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
Slightly off topic:

Okay, as per 2: My university bookstore did in fact give a discount to the students of said university. So, I would have asked and received a discount. And I would not have known your stores policy without asking. It is not rude to politely ask.
I found that also. Not on the Uni bookstore, but other local bookstores as well - and i see nothing wrong in saying "I have a student card. Do you give discounts to students?"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5648 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Slightly off topic:

I found that also. Not on the Uni bookstore, but other local bookstores as well - and i see nothing wrong in saying "I have a student card. Do you give discounts to students?"

+1

In my experience, most college bookstores give a student discount on some things and not on others (like, school supplies yes, electronics usually no). It is not at all rude to ask if the thing you're buying is discounted for students.

MyFamily

« Reply #5649 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »
Slightly off topic:

+1

In my experience, most college bookstores give a student discount on some things and not on others (like, school supplies yes, electronics usually no). It is not at all rude to ask if the thing you're buying is discounted for students.

If a customer is buying calculus books and says they need Calculus for College Students v6.b for their Calculus class, chances are the student does not need to then say 'want to give me a discount' when the total for that book comes out to $130.  The book store is not going to offer a discount on a text book, since any discount is already worked into the price.  So when the 500th person of the day makes the joke about how expensive their text books for the semester are, and maybe the cashier will be nice and give them a discount, nudge, nudge, wink, wink - yeah, I can see how that gets old. 

My university book store also offered a student discount, but on things like pens, not on the text books because who else is buying them but students??

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5650 on: April 02, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
Slightly off topic:

+1

If a customer is buying calculus books and says they need Calculus for College Students v6.b for their Calculus class, chances are the student does not need to then say 'want to give me a discount' when the total for that book comes out to $130.  The book store is not going to offer a discount on a text book, since any discount is already worked into the price.  So when the 500th person of the day makes the joke about how expensive their text books for the semester are, and maybe the cashier will be nice and give them a discount, nudge, nudge, wink, wink - yeah, I can see how that gets old. 

My university book store also offered a student discount, but on things like pens, not on the text books because who else is buying them but students??

The point people are trying to make is that your University's policy is not the only way of doing things.  Several Universities offer discounts on textbooks to students.  Just because your store didn't offer discounts, doesn't mean that other stores do the same thing.  It's understandable that it get's old, but the customers are not wrong or rude for asking. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5651 on: April 02, 2014, 04:14:48 PM »
Perhaps discussion about textbooks (I remember the pain too) can have it's own thread.

gmatoy

« Reply #5652 on: April 02, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
Slightly off topic:

+1

The point people are trying to make is that your University's policy is not the only way of doing things.  Several Universities offer discounts on textbooks to students.  Just because your store didn't offer discounts, doesn't mean that other stores do the same thing.  It's understandable that it get's old, but the customers are not wrong or rude for asking.

Our university bookstore was well stocked and so students from other universities often bought from our store; However, they
did not get the "our university student discount." (High density area, with a lot of universities.)

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #5653 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5654 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!