Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1107018 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5655 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
Slightly off topic:

As a former college bookstore assistant manager, please do not 1) yell at the employees about the prices, 2) ask for a discount or 3) ask where you can get the books for cheaper. 1) I was in charge of ordering them and we also had to pay through the nose for them and put a 25% mark up on them as per company policy. 2) When has that ever worked? And no, it's not funny after the millionth time. 3) I am not allowed to tell you. I can give you the ISBN, but I cannot help you. And no, you can't sit in the aisle and read the next chapter before class and not buy the book.

Ok, back to regularly scheduled posts.

Okay, as per 2: My university bookstore did in fact give a discount to the students of said university. So, I would have asked and received a discount. And I would not have known your stores policy without asking. It is not rude to politely ask.
I found that also. Not on the Uni bookstore, but other local bookstores as well - and i see nothing wrong in saying "I have a student card. Do you give discounts to students?"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5656 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Slightly off topic:

As a former college bookstore assistant manager, please do not 1) yell at the employees about the prices, 2) ask for a discount or 3) ask where you can get the books for cheaper. 1) I was in charge of ordering them and we also had to pay through the nose for them and put a 25% mark up on them as per company policy. 2) When has that ever worked? And no, it's not funny after the millionth time. 3) I am not allowed to tell you. I can give you the ISBN, but I cannot help you. And no, you can't sit in the aisle and read the next chapter before class and not buy the book.

Okay, as per 2: My university bookstore did in fact give a discount to the students of said university. So, I would have asked and received a discount. And I would not have known your stores policy without asking. It is not rude to politely ask.
I found that also. Not on the Uni bookstore, but other local bookstores as well - and i see nothing wrong in saying "I have a student card. Do you give discounts to students?"

+1

In my experience, most college bookstores give a student discount on some things and not on others (like, school supplies yes, electronics usually no). It is not at all rude to ask if the thing you're buying is discounted for students.

MyFamily

« Reply #5657 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »
Slightly off topic:

+1

In my experience, most college bookstores give a student discount on some things and not on others (like, school supplies yes, electronics usually no). It is not at all rude to ask if the thing you're buying is discounted for students.

If a customer is buying calculus books and says they need Calculus for College Students v6.b for their Calculus class, chances are the student does not need to then say 'want to give me a discount' when the total for that book comes out to $130.  The book store is not going to offer a discount on a text book, since any discount is already worked into the price.  So when the 500th person of the day makes the joke about how expensive their text books for the semester are, and maybe the cashier will be nice and give them a discount, nudge, nudge, wink, wink - yeah, I can see how that gets old. 

My university book store also offered a student discount, but on things like pens, not on the text books because who else is buying them but students??

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5658 on: April 02, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
Slightly off topic:

+1

If a customer is buying calculus books and says they need Calculus for College Students v6.b for their Calculus class, chances are the student does not need to then say 'want to give me a discount' when the total for that book comes out to $130.  The book store is not going to offer a discount on a text book, since any discount is already worked into the price.  So when the 500th person of the day makes the joke about how expensive their text books for the semester are, and maybe the cashier will be nice and give them a discount, nudge, nudge, wink, wink - yeah, I can see how that gets old. 

My university book store also offered a student discount, but on things like pens, not on the text books because who else is buying them but students??

The point people are trying to make is that your University's policy is not the only way of doing things.  Several Universities offer discounts on textbooks to students.  Just because your store didn't offer discounts, doesn't mean that other stores do the same thing.  It's understandable that it get's old, but the customers are not wrong or rude for asking. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5659 on: April 02, 2014, 04:14:48 PM »
Perhaps discussion about textbooks (I remember the pain too) can have it's own thread.

gmatoy

« Reply #5660 on: April 02, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
Slightly off topic:

+1

The point people are trying to make is that your University's policy is not the only way of doing things.  Several Universities offer discounts on textbooks to students.  Just because your store didn't offer discounts, doesn't mean that other stores do the same thing.  It's understandable that it get's old, but the customers are not wrong or rude for asking.

Our university bookstore was well stocked and so students from other universities often bought from our store; However, they
did not get the "our university student discount." (High density area, with a lot of universities.)

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #5661 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5662 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5663 on: April 04, 2014, 08:50:02 AM »
I've got a new one.

Yes, try to understand where she's coming from. She probably wasn't intentionally trying to mess with you. I had coworkers who were written up, suspended without pay for 3 days, and warned that next time they'd be fired because they sold cigarettes to people who turned out to be under 18 but looked 30. Now they card everyone who looks under 50, just to be safe. Most people can't afford to gamble with their job.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5664 on: April 04, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »
There's a liquor store I go to in my town with a sign that says "I'd card my own mother".  And I don't blame them honestly, I wouldn't want to gamble either.  It's VERY hard to judge ages, as some people don't age very well and look at least 10 years older while others can seem like they've uncovered the Fountain of Youth.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

redcat

« Reply #5665 on: April 04, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
Yeah the age here is 18, but we're recommended to ask for ID if we think they're under 25, and some places suggest as much as 30!  And that's because if we get caught out, it isn't the shop that gets fined, it's us.  So really you should contact your government representative about licensing laws, if it's such a problem.

Otterpop

« Reply #5666 on: April 04, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
There's a liquor store I go to in my town with a sign that says "I'd card my own mother".  And I don't blame them honestly, I wouldn't want to gamble either.  It's VERY hard to judge ages, as some people don't age very well and look at least 10 years older while others can seem like they've uncovered the Fountain of Youth.

Funny sign, and good policy.  It's very hard to judge ages these days with fitness, better nutrition, cosmetic surgery...

I was teaching a group of kids to start a campfire at a site we visit yearly.  A ranger stopped and told us that "One of you has to be 21 to be use the fire pit."  I stood up and looked at her directly thinking she'd see I'm an adult and move on, but she pointed at me and said "You.  Are you 21?"  I said "Ma'am, I'm 41."

We both laughed and she apologized.  I said "No problem, you made my day."

klm75

« Reply #5667 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
I've got a new one.

Yes, try to understand where she's coming from. She probably wasn't intentionally trying to mess with you. I had coworkers who were written up, suspended without pay for 3 days, and warned that next time they'd be fired because they sold cigarettes to people who turned out to be under 18 but looked 30. Now they card everyone who looks under 50, just to be safe. Most people can't afford to gamble with their job.

I am pretty sure the law is not that you can't sell cigarettes to someone who is with a minor.  It was her dad that was buying the cigarettes, not her.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #5668 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of cigarettes. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad cigarettes too; and then got very embarrassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

That may be the case, but she doesn't know any of that. She was following the law so that she didn't get fined and/or lose her job. She didn't do anything wrong. You're free to never shop there again, but honestly, "I was inconvenienced by the cashier following the law and not knowing that I don't smoke" is kind of a silly reason to stop shopping somewhere, especially since "employee following the law" is the sort of "issue" you're likely to encounter at other stores.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

Goosey

« Reply #5669 on: April 04, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »
If it looked like he was buying things for you, that's probably why you were carded.

I've never heard of it done with cigarettes, but it happens all the time with alcohol.