Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186805 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5655 on: April 04, 2014, 08:50:02 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

Yes, try to understand where she's coming from. She probably wasn't intentionally trying to mess with you. I had coworkers who were written up, suspended without pay for 3 days, and warned that next time they'd be fired because they sold cigarettes to people who turned out to be under 18 but looked 30. Now they card everyone who looks under 50, just to be safe. Most people can't afford to gamble with their job.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5656 on: April 04, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »
There's a liquor store I go to in my town with a sign that says "I'd card my own mother".  And I don't blame them honestly, I wouldn't want to gamble either.  It's VERY hard to judge ages, as some people don't age very well and look at least 10 years older while others can seem like they've uncovered the Fountain of Youth.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

redcat

« Reply #5657 on: April 04, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
Yeah the age here is 18, but we're recommended to ask for ID if we think they're under 25, and some places suggest as much as 30!  And that's because if we get caught out, it isn't the shop that gets fined, it's us.  So really you should contact your government representative about licensing laws, if it's such a problem.

Otterpop

« Reply #5658 on: April 04, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
There's a liquor store I go to in my town with a sign that says "I'd card my own mother".  And I don't blame them honestly, I wouldn't want to gamble either.  It's VERY hard to judge ages, as some people don't age very well and look at least 10 years older while others can seem like they've uncovered the Fountain of Youth.

Funny sign, and good policy.  It's very hard to judge ages these days with fitness, better nutrition, cosmetic surgery...

I was teaching a group of kids to start a campfire at a site we visit yearly.  A ranger stopped and told us that "One of you has to be 21 to be use the fire pit."  I stood up and looked at her directly thinking she'd see I'm an adult and move on, but she pointed at me and said "You.  Are you 21?"  I said "Ma'am, I'm 41."

We both laughed and she apologized.  I said "No problem, you made my day."

klm75

« Reply #5659 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

Yes, try to understand where she's coming from. She probably wasn't intentionally trying to mess with you. I had coworkers who were written up, suspended without pay for 3 days, and warned that next time they'd be fired because they sold cigarettes to people who turned out to be under 18 but looked 30. Now they card everyone who looks under 50, just to be safe. Most people can't afford to gamble with their job.

I am pretty sure the law is not that you can't sell cigarettes to someone who is with a minor.  It was her dad that was buying the cigarettes, not her.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #5660 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of cigarettes. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad cigarettes too; and then got very embarrassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

That may be the case, but she doesn't know any of that. She was following the law so that she didn't get fined and/or lose her job. She didn't do anything wrong. You're free to never shop there again, but honestly, "I was inconvenienced by the cashier following the law and not knowing that I don't smoke" is kind of a silly reason to stop shopping somewhere, especially since "employee following the law" is the sort of "issue" you're likely to encounter at other stores.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

Goosey

« Reply #5661 on: April 04, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »
If it looked like he was buying things for you, that's probably why you were carded.

I've never heard of it done with cigarettes, but it happens all the time with alcohol.

Witty Username Goes Here

« Reply #5662 on: April 04, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of cigaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad cigarettes too; and then got very embarrassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

I adore being carded.  Perhaps when you're of a "more mature" age you will, too.   ;)  And you'll be surprised how young people think you are.  I am often mistaken for someone 10 years younger than I am (I know no one thinks you're 11, but when you're 40 being mistaken for a 30 year old will be awesome!!).

And I agree that being inconvenienced by an employee doing their job and following laws is a rather silly reason to not shop somewhere.     Unless your dad is willing to wait until you have your purchases and have already given them to him, then you can wait in the car, this is bound to happen again.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5663 on: April 04, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »
Me too.  Last time I got carded at the liquor store I seriously considered kissing that clerk.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5664 on: April 04, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
Though when my kids say "Mom you look like a teenager" I joke "Okay what do you want?" Cause I know I don't look like a teenager but I had to laugh when DH told me a fellow Marine saw his photo of the two of us and teased DH about robbing the cradle. 

DH and I are the same age! He's 4 months older and frankly I think he's got a baby face on him, too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

alkira6

« Reply #5665 on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
Honestly?  I would have carded you too.  When I worked at a gas station I carded everyone, even the ancient lady who came in every morning at 6 to buy unfiltered camels.  She was 82.

Jones

« Reply #5666 on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
I probably would have carded as well; when I worked a grocery store 10+ years ago, we were told it was possible for the clerk to be held liable for selling a controlled substance to someone who was buying for a minor.

whipeout

« Reply #5667 on: April 04, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
The thing is if a person is buying an age restricted item store/ cooperate may demand that all persons present id that are in the group purchasing especially if the person or persons appear to be under the age limit of sales or under the required carding age.

When I have to card I just blame cooperate  sorry I just do what I have to.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5668 on: April 04, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
The thing is if a person is buying an age restricted item store/ cooperate may demand that all persons present id that are in the group purchasing especially if the person or persons appear to be under the age limit of sales or under the required carding age.

When I have to card I just blame cooperate  sorry I just do what I have to.

The liquor store I go to most often does this- it's near a college campus so they have to be vigilant.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5669 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
I know the stores around here will card everyone in the group for alcohol. In fact once we were at the grocery store and buying a six pack, they carded me and then asked for Partner's ID and she didn't have it with her, they wouldn't sell it to us. Even though we are both over 21. She went out to the car and I came back in and bought it by myself. Never experienced it with cigarettes but I can see why they'd card. I'd buy them for my grandma once I turned 18 and always got carded.

Heck sometimes I still get carded going to see a rated R movie. I'm 27. I don't think I look under 17, but it takes me two seconds to flash my ID and hey if I look 10 years younger I'm cool with that. Oh, when I was under 17 we went to see a rated R movie and our over 17 friend went to buy the tickets, they wanted to card all of us in the group because she was clearly not our parent or guardian (our parents and guardians knew where were and what we were seeing and didn't care, it was American Pie 3, we'd already seen the first two). We just stood off to the side and she said her friends hadn't arrived yet, they sold her the tickets but told her next time they wouldn't.