Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1105486 times)

Witty Username Goes Here

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5670 on: April 04, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of cigaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad cigarettes too; and then got very embarrassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

I adore being carded.  Perhaps when you're of a "more mature" age you will, too.   ;)  And you'll be surprised how young people think you are.  I am often mistaken for someone 10 years younger than I am (I know no one thinks you're 11, but when you're 40 being mistaken for a 30 year old will be awesome!!).

And I agree that being inconvenienced by an employee doing their job and following laws is a rather silly reason to not shop somewhere.     Unless your dad is willing to wait until you have your purchases and have already given them to him, then you can wait in the car, this is bound to happen again.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5671 on: April 04, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »
Me too.  Last time I got carded at the liquor store I seriously considered kissing that clerk.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5672 on: April 04, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
Though when my kids say "Mom you look like a teenager" I joke "Okay what do you want?" Cause I know I don't look like a teenager but I had to laugh when DH told me a fellow Marine saw his photo of the two of us and teased DH about robbing the cradle. 

DH and I are the same age! He's 4 months older and frankly I think he's got a baby face on him, too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

alkira6

« Reply #5673 on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
Honestly?  I would have carded you too.  When I worked at a gas station I carded everyone, even the ancient lady who came in every morning at 6 to buy unfiltered camels.  She was 82.

Jones

« Reply #5674 on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
I probably would have carded as well; when I worked a grocery store 10+ years ago, we were told it was possible for the clerk to be held liable for selling a controlled substance to someone who was buying for a minor.

whipeout

« Reply #5675 on: April 04, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
The thing is if a person is buying an age restricted item store/ cooperate may demand that all persons present id that are in the group purchasing especially if the person or persons appear to be under the age limit of sales or under the required carding age.

When I have to card I just blame cooperate  sorry I just do what I have to.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5676 on: April 04, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
The thing is if a person is buying an age restricted item store/ cooperate may demand that all persons present id that are in the group purchasing especially if the person or persons appear to be under the age limit of sales or under the required carding age.

When I have to card I just blame cooperate  sorry I just do what I have to.

The liquor store I go to most often does this- it's near a college campus so they have to be vigilant.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5677 on: April 04, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
I know the stores around here will card everyone in the group for alcohol. In fact once we were at the grocery store and buying a six pack, they carded me and then asked for Partner's ID and she didn't have it with her, they wouldn't sell it to us. Even though we are both over 21. She went out to the car and I came back in and bought it by myself. Never experienced it with cigarettes but I can see why they'd card. I'd buy them for my grandma once I turned 18 and always got carded.

Heck sometimes I still get carded going to see a rated R movie. I'm 27. I don't think I look under 17, but it takes me two seconds to flash my ID and hey if I look 10 years younger I'm cool with that. Oh, when I was under 17 we went to see a rated R movie and our over 17 friend went to buy the tickets, they wanted to card all of us in the group because she was clearly not our parent or guardian (our parents and guardians knew where were and what we were seeing and didn't care, it was American Pie 3, we'd already seen the first two). We just stood off to the side and she said her friends hadn't arrived yet, they sold her the tickets but told her next time they wouldn't.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5678 on: April 04, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
May have said this elsewhere, but on (at the time, future) DH's 21st birthday, I took him to a liquor store, and he. was. not. carded. 

I was so annoyed!  I wanted him to have the fun of that very day just turning 21 and being a legal adult.  He already was driving (16) and had voted (18), this was the last adult rite of passage.   

The clerk did not even seem to care when I pointed out that just a few hours ago, the sale would have been illegal. 

Now our son is 18.  Man, how I wish to be carded!  :)

(Back in HS, I went with (now) DH to see a Freddy Krueger Elm Street movie, rated R.  I had just turned 17.  (I am older)  I was not carded.  DH snickered and pointed out that since he was only 16, why did I want to be carded, because then he would also be carded, and thus kicked out!  lol)

Maybe we just look...really really old......
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5679 on: April 04, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

I agree, why is this a problem? Where I live, there are signs indicating that if you're 40 or younger you can expect to be carded for cigs. I have never smoked, but I was carded for alcohol purchases until I was about 40. No big deal.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5680 on: April 04, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

I have also been carded recently for buying cold medicine. There are rules about requiring ID for products containing pseudoephedrine, so that is another possible reason for her carding you.

K_Bear

« Reply #5681 on: April 04, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
Carding for alcohol and tobacco is the law in many states. If you look under a certain age and even just with the person buying those products they have to card you. Once you approached the register, the clerk had no choice but to card you, most likely the reason for her getting "really odd". It would have been a simple sale, as your father looked old enough to buy, and then someone in that "age window" walked up to her counter.

There are hefty fines if the stores are caught selling to anyone who is underage so they are protecting themselves. I have seen signs saying that stores will card anyone who appears to be under 25 or 30. They don't care that you say the cigarettes aren't for you, that is what every one says who is trying to get away with buying it illegally.

It is the way it is, get annoyed all you like, the laws and rules are there for a reason.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5682 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
perhaps I should try buying cigarettes to see if i would get carded. 
 ::)
with my track record, prolly not!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5683 on: April 04, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
May have said this elsewhere, but on (at the time, future) DH's 21st birthday, I took him to a liquor store, and he. was. not. carded. 

I was so annoyed!  I wanted him to have the fun of that very day just turning 21 and being a legal adult.  He already was driving (16) and had voted (18), this was the last adult rite of passage.

I could not get carded on my 21st birthday either!! I finally went to a gas station and bought a scratch off lottery ticket (cause you have be 21 to buy one) and they carded me. I thanked the clerk and when she saw it was my birthday she gave me the ticket for free.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5684 on: April 04, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
Did you win anything?
Aside from the apparent fountain of youth?
 :)