Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1271049 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5670 on: April 04, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
May have said this elsewhere, but on (at the time, future) DH's 21st birthday, I took him to a liquor store, and he. was. not. carded. 

I was so annoyed!  I wanted him to have the fun of that very day just turning 21 and being a legal adult.  He already was driving (16) and had voted (18), this was the last adult rite of passage.   

The clerk did not even seem to care when I pointed out that just a few hours ago, the sale would have been illegal. 

Now our son is 18.  Man, how I wish to be carded!  :)

(Back in HS, I went with (now) DH to see a Freddy Krueger Elm Street movie, rated R.  I had just turned 17.  (I am older)  I was not carded.  DH snickered and pointed out that since he was only 16, why did I want to be carded, because then he would also be carded, and thus kicked out!  lol)

Maybe we just look...really really old......
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5671 on: April 04, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

I agree, why is this a problem? Where I live, there are signs indicating that if you're 40 or younger you can expect to be carded for cigs. I have never smoked, but I was carded for alcohol purchases until I was about 40. No big deal.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5672 on: April 04, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
I've got a new one.

On Monday, my dad and I went to the store to pick up scripts and my dad went to buy my mom 2 packs of ciggaretts. I walked over to him, and grabbed the medicine so he could pay and the cashier got really odd, and carded me! -sigh- She was all set to deny my dad ciggarettes too; and then got very embarassed by the fact that I'm 21 not 17 like she originally thought. By the end of this experience I was really annoyed because I don't smoke, never have and just had major sinus surgery. I just wanted to go home and she held everything up. I can't possibly look that young anyway.  ::) I'm waiting for the day someone tries to say my ID is fake (it's a 21yr driving permit instead of license). Argh.

Why are you not shopping there if she was just following the law?

PS: Hope you are feeling better. That's a weirdly uncomfortable surgery!

I have also been carded recently for buying cold medicine. There are rules about requiring ID for products containing pseudoephedrine, so that is another possible reason for her carding you.

K_Bear

« Reply #5673 on: April 04, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
Carding for alcohol and tobacco is the law in many states. If you look under a certain age and even just with the person buying those products they have to card you. Once you approached the register, the clerk had no choice but to card you, most likely the reason for her getting "really odd". It would have been a simple sale, as your father looked old enough to buy, and then someone in that "age window" walked up to her counter.

There are hefty fines if the stores are caught selling to anyone who is underage so they are protecting themselves. I have seen signs saying that stores will card anyone who appears to be under 25 or 30. They don't care that you say the cigarettes aren't for you, that is what every one says who is trying to get away with buying it illegally.

It is the way it is, get annoyed all you like, the laws and rules are there for a reason.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5674 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
perhaps I should try buying cigarettes to see if i would get carded. 
 ::)
with my track record, prolly not!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5675 on: April 04, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
May have said this elsewhere, but on (at the time, future) DH's 21st birthday, I took him to a liquor store, and he. was. not. carded. 

I was so annoyed!  I wanted him to have the fun of that very day just turning 21 and being a legal adult.  He already was driving (16) and had voted (18), this was the last adult rite of passage.

I could not get carded on my 21st birthday either!! I finally went to a gas station and bought a scratch off lottery ticket (cause you have be 21 to buy one) and they carded me. I thanked the clerk and when she saw it was my birthday she gave me the ticket for free.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5676 on: April 04, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
Did you win anything?
Aside from the apparent fountain of youth?
 :)

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #5677 on: April 04, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
I'm not annoyed by being carded so much as I'm wondering what she would have done if I was underage. Would she have denied my dad his purchase? What do people do when they're shopping with their teenagers and buying something age restricted? What if I had left my wallet in the car?  I get carded for everything you can possibly be carded for. M rated video games, R rated movies. . .and now things I'm not actually buying.  When I was 16-17 I was never carded for anything at all ever; incuding being with my parents when they purchased something age restricted.

Edited to add; I've been shopping at this store since I was five, I don't plan to not not shop there, I was just sharing an annoying experience. I kinda think of  the "I'm never shopping there again" thing as hyperbole.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:03:00 PM by JolieFille »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5678 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
I get carded every time I buy wine. At my local grocery store. I am friends with parents of a few teenagers that work there.

I wouldn't sell alcohol or cigarettes to someone under age or another person with them.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5679 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
Did you win anything?

5 bucks, it was pretty sweet.

In my family you always look older then you are until you hit about 22 or 23, then you just stop aging for awhile. Everyone thinks I'm around 22/23, then when you turn 30 you begin aging at a normal pace, so we all look 7-10 years younger then we are. Seriously, my mom is 44, we went out to dinner and Partner and I get cared and then she gets carded and she kind of laughs and hands over her ID and the waiter as he is looking at it goes "Oh well we have to card anyone who looks under 30...." and trails off as he see she was under 30 over a decade ago.

But when she was a teenager, she always mistaken for older. I was walking into bars when I was 16, no one bothered to check my ID. I don't know which deity which of my ancestors pleased (or made a deal with), but I'm glad they did.

staceym

« Reply #5680 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
Carding for alcohol and tobacco is the law in many states. If you look under a certain age and even just with the person buying those products they have to card you.

in our area and State (PA) - I don't think they can even register the cigarettes until they put a birthdate in.  I know at Rite Aid they ask every single person buying cigarettes for their birthdate - or if they feel they look young they also ask for ID

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #5681 on: April 04, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Did you win anything?

In my family you always look older then you are until you hit about 22 or 23, then you just stop aging for awhile. Everyone thinks I'm around 22/23, then when you turn 30 you begin aging at a normal pace, so we all look 7-10 years younger then we are. Seriously, my mom is 44, we went out to dinner and Partner and I get cared and then she gets carded and she kind of laughs and hands over her ID and the waiter as he is looking at it goes "Oh well we have to card anyone who looks under 30...." and trails off as he see she was under 30 over a decade ago.

But when she was a teenager, she always mistaken for older. I was walking into bars when I was 16, no one bothered to check my ID. I don't know which deity which of my ancestors pleased (or made a deal with), but I'm glad they did.

I kinda have this problem I think. I'm 21. My coworkers actually think I look about 17, and some of them wondered if I should still be in school when I started working here over a year ago. I find that I get no grief and expect to be carded for alchol but the thing about how young I apparently look is the way doctors/paramedics treat me. My mom has a really bad heart condition and is disabled because of it. The last time she had an episode I was home and had everything ready (history and such) to give to the EMT's. I swear the woman must have been new because usually they come by often enough for my mom that we're familar. She was pretty condescending and kept trying to talk over me and force my mom to talk and my mom really was pretty incapacitaed. When yoru throwing up, your not really talking. Finally I got mad at her, and handed her The Card with all the info on it, and spoke over her until she really started to listen and was like 'oh your so good at knowing your mom's history!' The other EMT's were smirking because they know me. One asked pointedly if I'd like to ride along, and I said no that I had work the next day, and that finally made the woman realize that I know what the heck I'm talking about. I don't mind being carded for things, I mind being patronized when it's a serious situation.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5682 on: April 04, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
Did you win anything?

Seriously, we need to compare family trees - I had the same thing happen to me.  I looked a year or two older from birth to my early twenties, then got carded at 27 years & almost 7 months after having m first baby (I had just gotten out of the hospital with the flu - I FELT old, even if I apparently didn't look it to the guy at the restaurant where we were going out for New Year's Eve).

Now, partly due to staying OUT of the Arizona and West Texas sun for the last thirty years, not much visible gray in my hair, and the family effect - I'm mistaken for ten years or more younger than I am.

Ask Ambrosia Hino....DD has been told that I looked mid to maybe late thirties at her wedding....I had just turned fifty earlier that summer (friend was looking at photos & playing "guess the age" - I don't remember if I'd been introduced as her MOTHER when I'd met the person while visiting the HC four or five years after the wedding - but I think that they'd met me).

In a group last weekend with Younger Brother #1 (older of the two boys - but child #3), Lil Sis (younger than me, child #2), and our parents - Younger won the most gray hair award hands down- white with a few black hairs on most of his head AND his mustache & beard.  Seriously - he has this white haired biker dude thing going on.  Dad was number two - but it was close with Mom.  Just they were easily less gray (although clearly older due to skin & other clues/cues). 

Lil Sis dyes her hair - so I'm not sure how "wolf gray" she is - but the last time I saw her roots - easily two to three times the amount I have.  I'm going gray at the temples, rather like Mr. Fantastic....and it doesn't show nearly as much when you're female & have shoulder length hair instead of short hair. 

Baby Brother wasn't there - niece, her daughter, and fiancÚ were going to stop by his house in OK on the way home to see his family.  He has roughly the same amount of gray as Lil Sis - niece was hoping that she'd gray like her Aunt VorFemme instead of like her dad....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:53:48 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5683 on: April 04, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
I've seen a pin about a nationality where women look the same until they hit the change and then suddenly they look "old".  I'm half Irish and 1/4 Italian and it's kind of funny to me because people have said to me "It must be the Italian in you that makes you look so young! It's the olive oil!" or something.

But my Italian women in my family tan really well and so they slather on the suntan oil and get as brown as walnuts which has aged them.  While meanwhile my Irish side of the family (who never use an SPF lower than 50) have aged far more gracefully. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5684 on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Um, er...........I started this whole thing about the laws.

Let's just admit that Jolee and my niece look young. We all need to be carded. Those in our party need to be carded in some states. It's a pain.

Let's get on with it.

Thank you very much.