Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1272238 times)

Browyn

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5700 on: April 11, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
I guess I can see a sort of strained logic to: "A wedding dress is an expensive purchase" -> "We are an expensive, high-end shop" -> "We should be particular (snobs) about those who are allowed to buy from us," but I can't imagine it's good for business in many cases. After all, buying a wedding/bridesmaid dress is hardly restricted to one economic class!

When I first got engaged I went into the David's Bridal (big chain - not high end) near my work to ask for a catalog.  The women at the desk glared at me looking up and down as if what could someone like me (overweight, in my thirties) want from them!  lol

I went into another David's (didn't end up getting my dress there) and they were very nice.

Xandraea

« Reply #5701 on: April 11, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
I guess I can see a sort of strained logic to: "A wedding dress is an expensive purchase" -> "We are an expensive, high-end shop" -> "We should be particular (snobs) about those who are allowed to buy from us," but I can't imagine it's good for business in many cases. After all, buying a wedding/bridesmaid dress is hardly restricted to one economic class!

When I first got engaged I went into the David's Bridal (big chain - not high end) near my work to ask for a catalog.  The women at the desk glared at me looking up and down as if what could someone like me (overweight, in my thirties) want from them!  lol

I went into another David's (didn't end up getting my dress there) and they were very nice.

When I was engaged several years ago I walked into a David's Bridal and just wanted to look at dresses to get a better idea of what style I was drawn to. I understand needing an appointment to be served by an employee and to try on dresses, but to even look around a bit, the extremely ill-mannered employees demanded my full name, fiancť's full name, our wedding date, and all kinds of other personal information. Being a rather private person, this put me off entirely, and if I find myself planning a wedding in the future, I will NOT be going to David's Bridal.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #5702 on: April 11, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
It's funny, I was treated very rudely at a lower end bridal shop, despite being well dresses and having an appointment.  I left very quickly, and on a whim, went to the expensive bridal shop in town.  No appointment, and when I told them my budget, they still worked with me.  I got a beautiful silk dress for 500 dollars.  It was a newsmakers sample, made at 3/4 length, so being 5 feet tall really served me well.  It fit perfectly right off the rack.   
Not such a newbie anymore

BarensMom

« Reply #5703 on: April 12, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »
Hertz.  I had a reservation and arrived at their counter just in time to realize that they had no cars available, didn't know when any cars would be available, and didn't give a d**n when any cars would be available.

I ended up renting a car from Enterprise, who sympathized and gave me a discount based upon my plight.

Eeep!

« Reply #5704 on: April 12, 2014, 12:56:18 AM »
Hertz.  I had a reservation and arrived at their counter just in time to realize that they had no cars available, didn't know when any cars would be available, and didn't give a d**n when any cars would be available.

I ended up renting a car from Enterprise, who sympathized and gave me a discount based upon my plight.

But the reservation keeps the car here. Thatís why you have the reservation.
See, you know how to take the reservation, you just donít know how to *hold* the reservation and thatís really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

SadieBaby

« Reply #5705 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

See, you know how to take the reservation, you just donít know how to *hold* the reservation and thatís really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Seinfeld!  That's a classic, right there!

Hillia

« Reply #5706 on: April 12, 2014, 08:38:56 AM »
My DS had fun with CenturyLink (internet provider).  He had an appointment 'between 8am and noon' to hook up the internet in his new apartment. 

At 8, he's up and waiting.  At 10, he gets a call from the technician saying he's on his way.  At 2, there's been no technician, so he calls customer service.

First they told him that they technician couldn't gain access to the house.  No, I've been sitting here with the door open, and it's an apartment.
Then they told him that the technician wasn't scheduled for that day.  No, he called and said he was on the way over.
Then they told him that the technician had showed up and talked to someone named Leticia, who told him to come back another day.  No, there's no one here named Leticia.

Finally, they just rescheduled him for the next day, and it did eventually get installed, but seriously?  Pick a story and stick to it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BarensMom

« Reply #5707 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »

Seinfeld!  That's a classic, right there!

I wish I had that video clip last Monday to use on those lackadaisical counter reps. >:(

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5708 on: April 12, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »

But the reservation keeps the car here. That’s why you have the reservation.
See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Last weekend, we were turning in an SUV at the closest Budget location.

Lady at the second person's line told them that she was there to pick up a mid-sized car.  They handed her a key and pointed to an SUV, because they had no mid-sized cars.  She started to have a hissy fit (rising voice and the tone that implies she's talking to people of limited understanding).  She did NOT want to pay for an SUV, she'd reserved a mid-sized car and she wanted what she was paying for.

The desk clerk told her that she was getting the SUV at the mid-sized car price as there had not been any mid-sized cars turned in yet that day.  The SUV was clean, gassed up, ready to go, and she had the keys.  She would be charged ONLY the mid-sized car rate since the issue lay with Budget not having enough mid-sized cars on hand when she arrived to pick up her vehicle.

She was somewhat mollified, but was complaining to her companion on the way out the door that "they should have MADE those other people turn some cars in because she wanted a CAR and not an SUV". 

Well, even if the rental vehicle is in the parking lot of an apartment complex or house next to the rental location (and is overdue for return) - the rental car company is not allowed to go pick it up....worked for an insurance company and sat next to the people who specialized in the rental car-related claims. 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5709 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
Not mine, but my friend's never again story.

I just had my third set of AT&T sales people at my door! I told the first one I did not want to hear about their offers and I tried to be nice. Then yesterday I had my second set at my door in as many days. I was not so nice. Today was the third set what I realized was one of the two of them was the same guy three times in a row! Is AT&T determined that they are bordering on harassment? How do you get rid of them if you have already told them NO three times?

This is in a subdivision of nice homes that are 20 years old. There are "no soliciting" signs at the entrances.

I will never get any product from them because when we moved to our townhouse, they wanted $100 deposit, a credit check and would charge us double than what we are paying for the slowest internet option. No.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5710 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »

I just had my third set of AT&T sales people at my door! I told the first one I did not want to hear about their offers and I tried to be nice. Then yesterday I had my second set at my door in as many days. I was not so nice. Today was the third set what I realized was one of the two of them was the same guy three times in a row! Is AT&T determined that they are bordering on harassment? How do you get rid of them if you have already told them NO three times?

This is in a subdivision of nice homes that are 20 years old. There are "no soliciting" signs at the entrances.

I will never get any product from them because when we moved to our townhouse, they wanted $100 deposit, a credit check and would charge us double than what we are paying for the slowest internet option. No.

Are you sure they are *really* AT&T? I've never seen a major telco going door to door like that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5711 on: April 12, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
It's a new (old) marketing technique. Also occurring at a few apartment complexes near my work. They drive a company vehicle with full wrap graphics and wear company logo embroidered shirts and ID badges.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5712 on: April 12, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »

Something that worked for me. I typed up a letter put it on fancy paper saying all members (organization in my case a church) were banned from my property. Then the next time I picked up the phone and gave them 10 seconds to leave before I called the cops about trespassers. They never came back.

Another time I skipped answering the door and just called the non emergency line. They were from an alarm company and woke me from a dead sleep after dark banging on my door. A neighbor said they saw a deputy make them leave the area.

On the issue of if they were or were not AT&T - I've had AT&T selling cable and security at my door. Not their phones though.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5713 on: April 12, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »
It's a new (old) marketing technique. Also occurring at a few apartment complexes near my work. They drive a company vehicle with full wrap graphics and wear company logo embroidered shirts and ID badges.

Interesting. I've seen the local dairies send folks out with sales pitches and samples (especially in neighborhoods where they already have 1 or 2 customers, or just started delivering too), and came home one day to a door hanger from Schwan's, but never a major telco.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5714 on: April 12, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

Interesting. I've seen the local dairies send folks out with sales pitches and samples (especially in neighborhoods where they already have 1 or 2 customers, or just started delivering too), and came home one day to a door hanger from Schwan's, but never a major telco.

Does Verizon count?  Because, yeah, for a while they were an infestation here.