Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1143620 times)

BarensMom

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5715 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »

But the reservation keeps the car here. Thatís why you have the reservation.
See, you know how to take the reservation, you just donít know how to *hold* the reservation and thatís really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Seinfeld!  That's a classic, right there!

I wish I had that video clip last Monday to use on those lackadaisical counter reps. >:(

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5716 on: April 12, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
Hertz.  I had a reservation and arrived at their counter just in time to realize that they had no cars available, didn't know when any cars would be available, and didn't give a d**n when any cars would be available.

I ended up renting a car from Enterprise, who sympathized and gave me a discount based upon my plight.

But the reservation keeps the car here. That’s why you have the reservation.
See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Last weekend, we were turning in an SUV at the closest Budget location.

Lady at the second person's line told them that she was there to pick up a mid-sized car.  They handed her a key and pointed to an SUV, because they had no mid-sized cars.  She started to have a hissy fit (rising voice and the tone that implies she's talking to people of limited understanding).  She did NOT want to pay for an SUV, she'd reserved a mid-sized car and she wanted what she was paying for.

The desk clerk told her that she was getting the SUV at the mid-sized car price as there had not been any mid-sized cars turned in yet that day.  The SUV was clean, gassed up, ready to go, and she had the keys.  She would be charged ONLY the mid-sized car rate since the issue lay with Budget not having enough mid-sized cars on hand when she arrived to pick up her vehicle.

She was somewhat mollified, but was complaining to her companion on the way out the door that "they should have MADE those other people turn some cars in because she wanted a CAR and not an SUV". 

Well, even if the rental vehicle is in the parking lot of an apartment complex or house next to the rental location (and is overdue for return) - the rental car company is not allowed to go pick it up....worked for an insurance company and sat next to the people who specialized in the rental car-related claims. 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5717 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
Not mine, but my friend's never again story.

I just had my third set of AT&T sales people at my door! I told the first one I did not want to hear about their offers and I tried to be nice. Then yesterday I had my second set at my door in as many days. I was not so nice. Today was the third set what I realized was one of the two of them was the same guy three times in a row! Is AT&T determined that they are bordering on harassment? How do you get rid of them if you have already told them NO three times?

This is in a subdivision of nice homes that are 20 years old. There are "no soliciting" signs at the entrances.

I will never get any product from them because when we moved to our townhouse, they wanted $100 deposit, a credit check and would charge us double than what we are paying for the slowest internet option. No.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5718 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »

I just had my third set of AT&T sales people at my door! I told the first one I did not want to hear about their offers and I tried to be nice. Then yesterday I had my second set at my door in as many days. I was not so nice. Today was the third set what I realized was one of the two of them was the same guy three times in a row! Is AT&T determined that they are bordering on harassment? How do you get rid of them if you have already told them NO three times?

This is in a subdivision of nice homes that are 20 years old. There are "no soliciting" signs at the entrances.

I will never get any product from them because when we moved to our townhouse, they wanted $100 deposit, a credit check and would charge us double than what we are paying for the slowest internet option. No.

Are you sure they are *really* AT&T? I've never seen a major telco going door to door like that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5719 on: April 12, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
It's a new (old) marketing technique. Also occurring at a few apartment complexes near my work. They drive a company vehicle with full wrap graphics and wear company logo embroidered shirts and ID badges.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5720 on: April 12, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »

Something that worked for me. I typed up a letter put it on fancy paper saying all members (organization in my case a church) were banned from my property. Then the next time I picked up the phone and gave them 10 seconds to leave before I called the cops about trespassers. They never came back.

Another time I skipped answering the door and just called the non emergency line. They were from an alarm company and woke me from a dead sleep after dark banging on my door. A neighbor said they saw a deputy make them leave the area.

On the issue of if they were or were not AT&T - I've had AT&T selling cable and security at my door. Not their phones though.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5721 on: April 12, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »
It's a new (old) marketing technique. Also occurring at a few apartment complexes near my work. They drive a company vehicle with full wrap graphics and wear company logo embroidered shirts and ID badges.

Interesting. I've seen the local dairies send folks out with sales pitches and samples (especially in neighborhoods where they already have 1 or 2 customers, or just started delivering too), and came home one day to a door hanger from Schwan's, but never a major telco.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5722 on: April 12, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

Interesting. I've seen the local dairies send folks out with sales pitches and samples (especially in neighborhoods where they already have 1 or 2 customers, or just started delivering too), and came home one day to a door hanger from Schwan's, but never a major telco.

Does Verizon count?  Because, yeah, for a while they were an infestation here.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5723 on: April 12, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
Friend is trying to sell his house and each time, was working in the garage or outside.

SiotehCat

« Reply #5724 on: April 12, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »
Hertz.  I had a reservation and arrived at their counter just in time to realize that they had no cars available, didn't know when any cars would be available, and didn't give a d**n when any cars would be available.

I ended up renting a car from Enterprise, who sympathized and gave me a discount based upon my plight.

I don't know where you are, but my husband and I had the same problem yesterday with hertz. We ended up waiting 3 hours for a car.

The customer service reps all seemed like they were doing their best. There just wasn't more they could do.

They told us it was a combination of a few things. People not returning cars on time, spring break and the GM recall.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5725 on: April 12, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »

But the reservation keeps the car here. Thatís why you have the reservation.
See, you know how to take the reservation, you just donít know how to *hold* the reservation and thatís really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Last weekend, we were turning in an SUV at the closest Budget location.

Lady at the second person's line told them that she was there to pick up a mid-sized car.  They handed her a key and pointed to an SUV, because they had no mid-sized cars.  She started to have a hissy fit (rising voice and the tone that implies she's talking to people of limited understanding).  She did NOT want to pay for an SUV, she'd reserved a mid-sized car and she wanted what she was paying for.

The desk clerk told her that she was getting the SUV at the mid-sized car price as there had not been any mid-sized cars turned in yet that day.  The SUV was clean, gassed up, ready to go, and she had the keys.  She would be charged ONLY the mid-sized car rate since the issue lay with Budget not having enough mid-sized cars on hand when she arrived to pick up her vehicle.

She was somewhat mollified, but was complaining to her companion on the way out the door that "they should have MADE those other people turn some cars in because she wanted a CAR and not an SUV". 

Well, even if the rental vehicle is in the parking lot of an apartment complex or house next to the rental location (and is overdue for return) - the rental car company is not allowed to go pick it up....worked for an insurance company and sat next to the people who specialized in the rental car-related claims.

We had this problem at a car rental place when we were on vacation.  We had specifically chosen a certain model because it had good gas mileage.  When they tried to "upgrade" us to an SUV, we refused, because we didn't want a gas guzzler.  We needed to a lot of driving and gas was crazy expensive (this was in Germany), so we'd chosen the car based on gas mileage.  Eventually they agreed to let us keep the car we'd reserved.  I guess somebody else got the "upgrade" that wasn't an upgrade.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5726 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
I looked at the prices of some cars (online) more than a year ago.  My car is getting old and grumpy and I wanted to see what kind of decent-but-used car I could afford when mine finally gives up the ghost.

I have no idea how the local Kia dealership ended up with my email address - probably didn't have the actual prices on their site and I had to ask or something - but I've been getting twice-weekly emails from them for the last SIXTEEN MONTHS.  There's no unsubscribe link and I'll be darned if I actually call on the phone to get myself off a mailing list.  Surely they'd realize that people who are car shopping might, you know, eventually buy a car and thus no longer be in the market for mailing list spam?

I did set up an email filter so the mailing list updates go straight to the trash, but I still see them (the headers, anyway) when I check before deleting everything.  And now I've had a twice-weekly reminder why I will NOT be buying my next car from that dealership.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5727 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
I looked at the prices of some cars (online) more than a year ago.  My car is getting old and grumpy and I wanted to see what kind of decent-but-used car I could afford when mine finally gives up the ghost.

I have no idea how the local Kia dealership ended up with my email address - probably didn't have the actual prices on their site and I had to ask or something - but I've been getting twice-weekly emails from them for the last SIXTEEN MONTHS.  There's no unsubscribe link and I'll be darned if I actually call on the phone to get myself off a mailing list.  Surely they'd realize that people who are car shopping might, you know, eventually buy a car and thus no longer be in the market for mailing list spam?

I did set up an email filter so the mailing list updates go straight to the trash, but I still see them (the headers, anyway) when I check before deleting everything.  And now I've had a twice-weekly reminder why I will NOT be buying my next car from that dealership.

You should report them.  They are violating the Can-SPAM act.  The FCC used to have an email address that you could forward messages to.  But now you have to fill in an online form. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5728 on: April 14, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »
My son worked at a festival all weekend and when we picked him up last night, he was very hungry and suggested an Italian restaurant that was nearby. The food was good, service was good, beverages were good.

I gave my card to pay and when the server came back, she said the card only was authorized for a lesser amount than the full bill. I thought that was odd, since I knew the exact amount available and paid cash for the remainder.

This morning I found the restaurant charged me the full amount as a hold then the lesser amount as a charge in two separate transactions. I called the restaurant and the cashier verified that is what happened. The owner refused to release the hold or send any documentation for it.

We might return, but I will never hand over a card there again.

Kaymyth

« Reply #5729 on: April 14, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
My son worked at a festival all weekend and when we picked him up last night, he was very hungry and suggested an Italian restaurant that was nearby. The food was good, service was good, beverages were good.

I gave my card to pay and when the server came back, she said the card only was authorized for a lesser amount than the full bill. I thought that was odd, since I knew the exact amount available and paid cash for the remainder.

This morning I found the restaurant charged me the full amount as a hold then the lesser amount as a charge in two separate transactions. I called the restaurant and the cashier verified that is what happened. The owner refused to release the hold or send any documentation for it.

We might return, but I will never hand over a card there again.

This was probably a case of accidentally swiping the card twice.  There's actually no way for the restaurant to "release" the hold; they ran an auth on the card, and that pinged through to the credit card company.  Once that auth is in place, the only way for it to go away is for either A) the transaction to settle through to the cc co (which won't happen, since the invoice wasn't processed), or B) for the auth to expire.  It will drop off after a set number of business days, but that can vary by card type.

I know it's frustrating, but once the auth is in the system the merchant has no way to delete it.  You might be able to contact your credit card company and see if they can remove it early, though.