Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1166412 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5715 on: April 12, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
Friend is trying to sell his house and each time, was working in the garage or outside.

SiotehCat

« Reply #5716 on: April 12, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »
Hertz.  I had a reservation and arrived at their counter just in time to realize that they had no cars available, didn't know when any cars would be available, and didn't give a d**n when any cars would be available.

I ended up renting a car from Enterprise, who sympathized and gave me a discount based upon my plight.

I don't know where you are, but my husband and I had the same problem yesterday with hertz. We ended up waiting 3 hours for a car.

The customer service reps all seemed like they were doing their best. There just wasn't more they could do.

They told us it was a combination of a few things. People not returning cars on time, spring break and the GM recall.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5717 on: April 12, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Hertz.  I had a reservation and arrived at their counter just in time to realize that they had no cars available, didn't know when any cars would be available, and didn't give a d**n when any cars would be available.

I ended up renting a car from Enterprise, who sympathized and gave me a discount based upon my plight.

But the reservation keeps the car here. Thatís why you have the reservation.
See, you know how to take the reservation, you just donít know how to *hold* the reservation and thatís really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Last weekend, we were turning in an SUV at the closest Budget location.

Lady at the second person's line told them that she was there to pick up a mid-sized car.  They handed her a key and pointed to an SUV, because they had no mid-sized cars.  She started to have a hissy fit (rising voice and the tone that implies she's talking to people of limited understanding).  She did NOT want to pay for an SUV, she'd reserved a mid-sized car and she wanted what she was paying for.

The desk clerk told her that she was getting the SUV at the mid-sized car price as there had not been any mid-sized cars turned in yet that day.  The SUV was clean, gassed up, ready to go, and she had the keys.  She would be charged ONLY the mid-sized car rate since the issue lay with Budget not having enough mid-sized cars on hand when she arrived to pick up her vehicle.

She was somewhat mollified, but was complaining to her companion on the way out the door that "they should have MADE those other people turn some cars in because she wanted a CAR and not an SUV". 

Well, even if the rental vehicle is in the parking lot of an apartment complex or house next to the rental location (and is overdue for return) - the rental car company is not allowed to go pick it up....worked for an insurance company and sat next to the people who specialized in the rental car-related claims.

We had this problem at a car rental place when we were on vacation.  We had specifically chosen a certain model because it had good gas mileage.  When they tried to "upgrade" us to an SUV, we refused, because we didn't want a gas guzzler.  We needed to a lot of driving and gas was crazy expensive (this was in Germany), so we'd chosen the car based on gas mileage.  Eventually they agreed to let us keep the car we'd reserved.  I guess somebody else got the "upgrade" that wasn't an upgrade.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5718 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
I looked at the prices of some cars (online) more than a year ago.  My car is getting old and grumpy and I wanted to see what kind of decent-but-used car I could afford when mine finally gives up the ghost.

I have no idea how the local Kia dealership ended up with my email address - probably didn't have the actual prices on their site and I had to ask or something - but I've been getting twice-weekly emails from them for the last SIXTEEN MONTHS.  There's no unsubscribe link and I'll be darned if I actually call on the phone to get myself off a mailing list.  Surely they'd realize that people who are car shopping might, you know, eventually buy a car and thus no longer be in the market for mailing list spam?

I did set up an email filter so the mailing list updates go straight to the trash, but I still see them (the headers, anyway) when I check before deleting everything.  And now I've had a twice-weekly reminder why I will NOT be buying my next car from that dealership.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5719 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
I looked at the prices of some cars (online) more than a year ago.  My car is getting old and grumpy and I wanted to see what kind of decent-but-used car I could afford when mine finally gives up the ghost.

I have no idea how the local Kia dealership ended up with my email address - probably didn't have the actual prices on their site and I had to ask or something - but I've been getting twice-weekly emails from them for the last SIXTEEN MONTHS.  There's no unsubscribe link and I'll be darned if I actually call on the phone to get myself off a mailing list.  Surely they'd realize that people who are car shopping might, you know, eventually buy a car and thus no longer be in the market for mailing list spam?

I did set up an email filter so the mailing list updates go straight to the trash, but I still see them (the headers, anyway) when I check before deleting everything.  And now I've had a twice-weekly reminder why I will NOT be buying my next car from that dealership.

You should report them.  They are violating the Can-SPAM act.  The FCC used to have an email address that you could forward messages to.  But now you have to fill in an online form. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5720 on: April 14, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »
My son worked at a festival all weekend and when we picked him up last night, he was very hungry and suggested an Italian restaurant that was nearby. The food was good, service was good, beverages were good.

I gave my card to pay and when the server came back, she said the card only was authorized for a lesser amount than the full bill. I thought that was odd, since I knew the exact amount available and paid cash for the remainder.

This morning I found the restaurant charged me the full amount as a hold then the lesser amount as a charge in two separate transactions. I called the restaurant and the cashier verified that is what happened. The owner refused to release the hold or send any documentation for it.

We might return, but I will never hand over a card there again.

Kaymyth

« Reply #5721 on: April 14, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
My son worked at a festival all weekend and when we picked him up last night, he was very hungry and suggested an Italian restaurant that was nearby. The food was good, service was good, beverages were good.

I gave my card to pay and when the server came back, she said the card only was authorized for a lesser amount than the full bill. I thought that was odd, since I knew the exact amount available and paid cash for the remainder.

This morning I found the restaurant charged me the full amount as a hold then the lesser amount as a charge in two separate transactions. I called the restaurant and the cashier verified that is what happened. The owner refused to release the hold or send any documentation for it.

We might return, but I will never hand over a card there again.

This was probably a case of accidentally swiping the card twice.  There's actually no way for the restaurant to "release" the hold; they ran an auth on the card, and that pinged through to the credit card company.  Once that auth is in place, the only way for it to go away is for either A) the transaction to settle through to the cc co (which won't happen, since the invoice wasn't processed), or B) for the auth to expire.  It will drop off after a set number of business days, but that can vary by card type.

I know it's frustrating, but once the auth is in the system the merchant has no way to delete it.  You might be able to contact your credit card company and see if they can remove it early, though.

AtraBecca

« Reply #5722 on: April 14, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
I'll probably still buy from them but I'll definitely look at their 'sales' with more skepticism.

On Thursday of Friday, I was thinking of buying a ring off eBay. It didn't make the reserve so I PM'd the seller to find out what price she would accept. It was reasonable... not a huge deal when shipping and customs were added in, but still a deal. I checked the retail price for the same ring on The Bay... that's a rather upscale department store, for anyone who doesn't know... and it was 495. They often have 50% off sales so I was like, hmm, 250...

The next day, wouldn't you know it, they were having a 60% off sale! So I thought, hey, I can get it for brand new for almost the same price as this lady! And I could get it in my size! I was quite shocked to find that they'd jacked up the retail price to 750 before giving the discount. So it was actually on 'sale' for 300. Still a 40% discount but NOT a 60%...

I've sent them an e-mail expressing my displeasure and decided to buy the ring off eBay. I really love that particular designer so I'll probably buy from The Bay in the future... just assuming the sales aren't as good as they say. I am not amused, though.

cattlekid

« Reply #5723 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
nytimes.com is on my list right now.  I paid for unlimited access to their site via PayPal and now that I am a paid member, the only way to get that turned off is to call their 1-800 number.  It's not a huge deal, but it would be so much easier to just be able to stop the paid function of my account online. Most other subscription sites offer this service, so I'm not sure why nytimes.com can't.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5724 on: April 14, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
We get the Frontier people trying to sell us TV service.  We don't watch TV, so we're perfectly happy with our phone and internet setup, which Mr. Sirius personally negotiated with them.  If you tell them you don't watch TV they act as though you're strange - at least, the people I've talked to have.  We also get the Kirby vacuum salespeople and the magazine "So I can win a trip" salespeople:  The last one of the magazine people got so rude I got a (perhaps not admirable) thrill out of ordering him off my property. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5725 on: April 14, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
I'll probably still buy from them but I'll definitely look at their 'sales' with more skepticism.

On Thursday of Friday, I was thinking of buying a ring off eBay. It didn't make the reserve so I PM'd the seller to find out what price she would accept. It was reasonable... not a huge deal when shipping and customs were added in, but still a deal. I checked the retail price for the same ring on The Bay... that's a rather upscale department store, for anyone who doesn't know... and it was 495. They often have 50% off sales so I was like, hmm, 250...

The next day, wouldn't you know it, they were having a 60% off sale! So I thought, hey, I can get it for brand new for almost the same price as this lady! And I could get it in my size! I was quite shocked to find that they'd jacked up the retail price to 750 before giving the discount. So it was actually on 'sale' for 300. Still a 40% discount but NOT a 60%...

I've sent them an e-mail expressing my displeasure and decided to buy the ring off eBay. I really love that particular designer so I'll probably buy from The Bay in the future... just assuming the sales aren't as good as they say. I am not amused, though.

This is absolutely standard practice for jewelry stores.  The small print in jewelry ads often says "Actual sales may not have occurred at original price" - meaning "We made up this number so we can say we're having a %%% off sale!"

StarFaerie

« Reply #5726 on: April 14, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »

This is absolutely standard practice for jewelry stores.  The small print in jewelry ads often says "Actual sales may not have occurred at original price" - meaning "We made up this number so we can say we're having a %%% off sale!"

I am so glad they made this illegal in my country. It was so annoying. Jewellery stores still try it occassionally but it gets shut down pretty quickly. It doesn't mean it's not over priced however.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #5727 on: April 14, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »

A local furniture chain pulled this exact thing a year or so ago during their going out of business sale. They had great furniture but way out of my price range. I thought at the 70% off sale I could get a real bargain and improve my home a bit. Yeah, that was way too optimistic. 70% off put an ottoman still around $600. Every time they bumped the sales percentage up, the "original" price went up as well. I didn't bother going to the 90% off sale.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5728 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
I would actually save money on my internet and cable if I added a phone, but I don't want one. If it saves more than $20 a month I might do it, but in general, it is just a terrible aggravation.

Not to mention the nightmares that happen when you suddenly get a phone line. Everyone and their brother is sold a list of new numbers and my friend received 52 different sales calls in one week and 20+ mailings for her "new house" that she has owned for 20 years. I think I will just spend the extra money, and not have another phone.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5729 on: April 14, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
We dropped our cable TV, thought kept the internet.  DH got phone calls for weeks about adding TV to our service.  He finally wound up telling on of the callers off because they were calling every day, sometimes multiple times a day, and not taking no for an answer.  I don't think they've called in awhile.

I would actually save money on my internet and cable if I added a phone, but I don't want one. If it saves more than $20 a month I might do it, but in general, it is just a terrible aggravation.

Not to mention the nightmares that happen when you suddenly get a phone line. Everyone and their brother is sold a list of new numbers and my friend received 52 different sales calls in one week and 20+ mailings for her "new house" that she has owned for 20 years. I think I will just spend the extra money, and not have another phone.

We finally gave in and got a land line, because we live in a spot with no cell service, so when the power goes out (and the network extender with it) we have no way to dial 911.  Since the phone is for our convenience only, and we haven't given the number to anyone, the phone is not plugged in  ;D