Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1251101 times)

Kaymyth

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5760 on: April 15, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »
I nearly had a heart attack once when I pumped gas at my grocery store's station and saw my account balance was negative because they'd charged me $99 even though I'd only pumped about $10.  Turns out they do the hold thing, and by the time I got into the store to ask about it, the situation resolved itself and my account was no longer in the red. PHEW!

There are gas stations in my area that do this, but they also make it clear in signs next to the pumps that their bank may authorize a higher amount than they actually pump and that they have no control over it (basically "take it up with your bank and don't bug our employees about it").

That is....disingenuous of them at best.  The amount is NOT determined by the bank, but is a preprogrammed amount in the pump.  The amount could be set by the merchant location themselves or the processing company they use for their credit card transactions.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5761 on: April 15, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
A friend of mine was day manager at a local Gentleman's Club (strip club). He has a good story from a bad credit-card authorization.

Famous Athlete came to the club and ran up a huge tab.

The next day, Famous Athlete's accountant discovered that FA's card had been charged for BOTH the hold and the actual amount. It all got settled out, no problem.

That evening, Famous Athlete came in with literally a bag of cash, and paid for everything from that.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5762 on: April 15, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

Essentially, a "preauthorization" is when the point of sale system dials in to the credit card company to determine whether your card is A) valid and B) has enough on the credit line to cover the transaction.  It comes back with an authorization code and prints the receipt.

Later (usually that night), the merchant "settles" the machine - i.e. they transmit the day's batch of invoices to their credit card processor.  This is the file from which they are paid, and from which the card companies actually bill you.

So the auth shows up and puts a hold on your account.  A day or few later (depending on the processor and how many different companies the invoice has to travel through before it reaches your bank/credit card provider) the actual transaction reaches your account and it resolves into a real charge.

My job involves credit card support for merchants.  I deal with this stuff every day. :)

What happens if a charge is never made?  I know I had (have?) 2 holds from a company that kept telling DH they were unable to charge our CC.  The CC company had no idea what problem they were having because the holds were going through.

Kaymyth

« Reply #5763 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »

Essentially, a "preauthorization" is when the point of sale system dials in to the credit card company to determine whether your card is A) valid and B) has enough on the credit line to cover the transaction.  It comes back with an authorization code and prints the receipt.

Later (usually that night), the merchant "settles" the machine - i.e. they transmit the day's batch of invoices to their credit card processor.  This is the file from which they are paid, and from which the card companies actually bill you.
So the auth shows up and puts a hold on your account.  A day or few later (depending on the processor and how many different companies the invoice has to travel through before it reaches your bank/credit card provider) the actual transaction reaches your account and it resolves into a real charge.

My job involves credit card support for merchants.  I deal with this stuff every day. :)

What happens if a charge is never made?  I know I had (have?) 2 holds from a company that kept telling DH they were unable to charge our CC.  The CC company had no idea what problem they were having because the holds were going through.

The hold drops off of your account after a set number of business days if no invoice settles through; authorization codes actually expire.  How many days varies by card company.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5764 on: April 15, 2014, 11:18:45 PM »

IME, usually they'll charge you the full bill (but not the tip) as a hold, bring you the receipt, and then you write in the tip. The hold will often sit there for a few days before the money actually comes out of your account, so that money is kind of in money limbo--it's not available to you, but it's not really "gone" either. Then, whenever the restaurant processes the bill, they'll charge you the amount+tip for real. Sometimes--I think especially when a place has a crotchety old credit card system--there'll be an overlap where the hold sits there for a while even after the money has also come out of your account for real, or there'll be a gap where the hold has vanished but the real charge hasn't happened yet. It's annoying. It's weird for them to charge a random small amount instead, at least for restaurants; I've seen that more often at gas stations. But maybe they just meant it didn't include the tip yet, which is usual.

Is this hold - the same as pending. I know with my bank I called because I had 2 pending charges - same amount same company. I called my bank - and honestly it was yes Ma'am there has been an error. I'm fixing it now but it will take about 2 hours for it to go through and show up on your online account. I checked a little over 2 hours later and it was fixed.

Also I've seen people hear and other places talk about large holds put on their cards at gas stations and hotels. Holds that were larger than the actual purchase but put there before the transaction was completed - and stay there for a while after.

I've never had that happen here. I was wondering if maybe it was a Texas law. I know we used to have banking laws that were very different from the rest of the nation. Like branch banking was illegal here back when I was in HS. A fact that helped save my Aunt when she was carjacked. (carjacker made her drive to her bank to ransom herself. Her bank was a small bank out in Sugar Land. She was able to communicate there was a problem by using wrong names for various people including referring to her daughters and husband. The teller got a supervisor who called the cops.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RooRoo

• Im out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #5765 on: April 16, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »
Could the hold/pre-authorization discussion be moved to its own thread, please?

Thanks!
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5766 on: April 16, 2014, 03:43:09 AM »
Hotels are the classic example of the preauthorization. At the hotel I work at at check in (we'll assume this isn't a prepaid third party reservation)  a hold is put on the card tor the total stay for room/tax/resort fee plus X amount per day- it's assumed that you'll charge a meal to your room or hit the gift shop or go crazy in the bar. If you go over the amount the system will ask for an increase from the credit card company.

The night of the day you check out during night audit the system tells the bank "Bob didn't use $150 of the hold; we're releasing that." Then it gets released back but may take some days to do so.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5767 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:47 AM »
It's also handy if guests make off with the silverware ;)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5768 on: April 16, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
It's also handy if guests make off with the silverware ;)

These days it's very handy when we have people smoking in rooms. We don't allow smoking in our rooms and charge a hefty fee - over $200- if you do. Since people are specifically made aware of our charge and have to sign that they understand this st check in we won't hesitate to charge.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5769 on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
I will try to make this a Shopping Story with a hold-
when we travel, we try to use cash, hidden around various places on our persons and stuff and vehicle, so if something is stolen, we still have money, and we keep wallets on our person with CC;s. 

But in the last few years, it is very rare to find a hotel that will take a payment in cash.  They want a card, for the hold.

See, usually you pay the night before you sleep.  So you can leave as early as you wish the next morning, often no need to stop at front desk.  But, what if you trashed the room?  Charged a movie?  Took towels?  etc...   Housekeeping would not discover till several hours later.  So, you get the "hold" put on your card. 

Say you want to pay in the morn, after you have used the room.  Same thing- how do they know ALL you did was sleep?  What if you snuck in a pet and it made a mess?  What if you had room service and said, "charge it to my room" and then hit the road before front desk assessed your final bill?

Those are reasons for a hold.

For the No Shopping there again-

DH and I have realized that Hotels that DO accept cash are often the ones that charge by the hour, and are NOT the kind we wish to stay at with our children.  Plus, we prefer hotels that offer family breakfast, and these places only seem to offer morning glories and nooners.

(If you do not know what those are, do not ask here)   8) :o
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5770 on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm done at my local Famous Footwear. We've had pretty good luck with the kids shoes, they almost always outgrow them before they wear a pair out. Considering how often they have BOGO1/2 I consider them a good deal.

YDS has a pair of New Balance tennies that wore through the end. It's like the stitching came undone around the toes and they were starting to open. He'd had them over 6 months so I took him to buy new ones. He chose another pair of the same brand, which I didn't notice or probably would have asked him to get something else. That was just over a month ago and the other day he brought them to me - same issue. He only wears them for school so they still look brand new except for a little bit of dirt and scuffs on the bottoms, so DH and I decided to go in and see if there was anything the store could do.

As soon as I approached the counter I let the cashier know that I didn't have the receipt. She asked for my rewards card number and said if it's been less than 30 days it'll be in the system, it wasn't. Then she asked for the debit card to see if that would pull it up, it didn't. She said "It looks like it's been more than 30 days so I can't find it. Let me get the manager and see what we can do." At this point I really appreciated the trouble she'd gone to and I understood that we might be out of luck.

The reason I won't be back? The manager came up to the counter acting all annoyed, did not even look at us let alone greet us, picked up the shoes and checked the bottoms (yes, they've been worn), said "I can't do anything with these.", set them down, and walked away.

Um no. I know people try to pull scams and return old shoes. If he had actually spoken to me and said "I'm so sorry but unfortunately without a receipt I can't even give you an exchange, let alone a refund." I would have understood. Refusing to even look at me while acting like I'm trying to rip you off for a pair of obviously crap shoes? That's a customer service fail. I'll go to other FF stores but not his, and there won't be any more New Balance shoes, either.

deadbody

« Reply #5771 on: April 17, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »
I'm done at my local Famous Footwear. We've had pretty good luck with the kids shoes, they almost always outgrow them before they wear a pair out. Considering how often they have BOGO1/2 I consider them a good deal.

YDS has a pair of New Balance tennies that wore through the end. It's like the stitching came undone around the toes and they were starting to open. He'd had them over 6 months so I took him to buy new ones. He chose another pair of the same brand, which I didn't notice or probably would have asked him to get something else. That was just over a month ago and the other day he brought them to me - same issue. He only wears them for school so they still look brand new except for a little bit of dirt and scuffs on the bottoms, so DH and I decided to go in and see if there was anything the store could do.

As soon as I approached the counter I let the cashier know that I didn't have the receipt. She asked for my rewards card number and said if it's been less than 30 days it'll be in the system, it wasn't. Then she asked for the debit card to see if that would pull it up, it didn't. She said "It looks like it's been more than 30 days so I can't find it. Let me get the manager and see what we can do." At this point I really appreciated the trouble she'd gone to and I understood that we might be out of luck.

The reason I won't be back? The manager came up to the counter acting all annoyed, did not even look at us let alone greet us, picked up the shoes and checked the bottoms (yes, they've been worn), said "I can't do anything with these.", set them down, and walked away.

Um no. I know people try to pull scams and return old shoes. If he had actually spoken to me and said "I'm so sorry but unfortunately without a receipt I can't even give you an exchange, let alone a refund." I would have understood. Refusing to even look at me while acting like I'm trying to rip you off for a pair of obviously crap shoes? That's a customer service fail. I'll go to other FF stores but not his, and there won't be any more New Balance shoes, either.

Wow, I had the exact opposite experience there.  I bought a pair of shoes for disc golf (and only disc golf) after a few wearings the seam on the inside of the right foot split.  I didn't have the receipt, and they were definitely worn, the manager let me exchange them for another similar pair with no hassle at all.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5772 on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »

Wow, I had the exact opposite experience there.  I bought a pair of shoes for disc golf (and only disc golf) after a few wearings the seam on the inside of the right foot split.  I didn't have the receipt, and they were definitely worn, the manager let me exchange them for another similar pair with no hassle at all.

I had a similar issue with DSW. Bought a pair of Clark's clogs, and after just a few wearings, the top of the inside, at the heel, was rubbing away. I had the receipt, so I figured no biggie. NOpe, they claimed they couldn't return them wihtout the BOX, or I could contact Clark's directly. I was not happy since they were less than a month old. Then they said, well, if you can FIND a box in the store, we can use that for wahtever info they needed. I did, but really? I work in retail so I get that its frustrating when someone brings back defective merchandise, and we have no tag, no receipt, but we try and do whatever we can.

Might be a long shot, but what if you contacted FF corporate or NB directly, and explained the sitaution? You might get it resolved that way.

alkira6

« Reply #5773 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
New Balance is actually really good about things like this. They sent my sister a prepaid bag to send in the defective ones and sent her a new pair at the same time. she had her new pair in three days and they e-mailed her with a follow up a few weeks later.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #5774 on: April 17, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
I've been told at a few discount shoe shops when I tell them I don't want the box, that I can't return them without it. Its because the supplier wont take it back unboxed. The shop having non generic boxes and having different brands means they would have to eat the cost.

I do agree about attitude making a difference. DH had his debit card cloned. He called his bank as soon as he realized and while it was end of day a fraud call he should have still been dealt with there and then.

The girl on the phones response was. "Sorry my computers shut down, you will have to call back tomorrow"  :o

Totally ignoring the fact that she should not have answered the phone if she couldn't do her job, her entire "to bad, so sad, not my problem" left me seething.

I have done the job she is doing and at the very least she could have transfered to lost and stolen to stop anymore activity, and then told DH to call back tomorrow to open an investigation. Which would have been fine, as the account was safe.

I got DH  to do just that and the L&S CSR was horrified at her attitude and that she had no idea how to handle a fraud account.

I am trying really hard to get DH to switch banks over this or at the very least complain so the girl can be retrained.
For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing. - Jonah Lehrer