News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 09:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2676148 times)

GrammarNerd

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5775 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
Alamo Rental Cars.  Never again.

We recently went on a trip for spring break.  We flew into a west coast city from a Midwestern city, so there's a 2 hour time difference.  Our flight was scheduled to get in at 10:50 PST and we had a rental reserved through Alamo. 

As often happens, our flight was delayed, so we were an hour late getting in.  So this is now close to midnight PST, and close to two in the morning according to what our bodies are feeling from our time zone.  We got our luggage and went to the area where you wait for rental car shuttles.  There were no rental counters at this airport.  So we saw shuttles for other rental companies at least 3-4 times each, but never an Alamo shuttle. 

Finally after about 1/2 hour, my DH tries to call Alamo and gets some information saying they're closed.  I then call and have quite a time getting to anywhere that will let me talk to a live human.  Finally, I get disconnected!  Not happy.  Call back and this time, I opt for roadside assistance.  I know it's not right, but it's the middle of the night and I just want our car.  She asks where we are and then proceeds to tell me that THAT RENTAL SITE IS CLOSED!!  They closed at 11:30, and they'll reopen at 4:00 a.m.!  There was NOTHING in our reservation that said that the desk closed at 11:30.  There was no signage around the waiting area.  I got mad at that point, and said I have 3 kids, it's the middle of the night, and I'm not waiting around until 4 a.m.  I did tell her that I don't blame her, but this is highly frustrating to have a rental that is paid for and have no way to get it.  At this point, she said 'Oh, you've paid for it?'  Yes, it's paid for, which is why the option of spending more money on an airport hotel or a different rental car just to fix THEIR problem is not appealing (thought this, didn't say this; a lot of scenarios were catapulting around in my head right then).  So I told her that yes, it's been fully paid, and she then told me that National is a sister company of Alamo, and they would honor our reservation.  She's telling me this and as soon as I heard it, I started waving my DH and 3 kids toward the National shuttle that's parked in front of us.  We finally got our car, and it was even a bigger car than we expected, so that was one bright spot.

But what REALLY annoys me is the fact that even if our plane had been on time, there was a very likely possibility that we wouldn't have made it to the rental counter before they closed.  So why did Alamo allow that reservation to be made, knowing that there was a real possibility that they'd leave their customers stranded at the airport?  There should be checks in their system to prevent that.  And keep in mind....I couldn't even talk to a human until I called an incorrect department; their system disconnected me.  Customer service (except for the roadside assistance girl) was definitely in the toilet for this transaction.

We finally got to our hotel and crawled into bed at about 2:30 a.m. PST, or about 4:30 a.m. from what we were used to.  I'm surprised our kids could still function.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #5776 on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
That's why, when we go to visit my sister/parents in Oregon, we try to get flights that arrive mid-afternoon. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GrammarNerd

« Reply #5777 on: May 05, 2014, 11:37:04 PM »
Never, EVER, did I think that an airport rental car company would just NOT BE OPEN when a customer arrived to pick up their RESERVED and PAID FOR car.  Never.  Boggles the mind.  Customer service...apparently is absent at Alamo.

mmswm

« Reply #5778 on: May 05, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
I don't think I've ever shared this story here.  Easiest thing to do is just drop a link.

http://notalwaysworking.com/?s=accidon%27t

And yes, I'm the one who submitted the story.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5779 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
I don't think I've ever shared this story here.  Easiest thing to do is just drop a link.

Did they at least refund you the price of the insurance?

mmswm

« Reply #5780 on: May 06, 2014, 12:46:13 AM »

Did they at least refund you the price of the insurance?

The story didn't end there.  I got mad and did some research to find the contact information of the executive board. I phone bombed as many numbers I could find. I got the attention of one of the executives. By the time I was done with the company they'd replaced the entire living room set and sent me a $200 check for my efforts. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5781 on: May 06, 2014, 01:13:39 AM »
Never, EVER, did I think that an airport rental car company would just NOT BE OPEN when a customer arrived to pick up their RESERVED and PAID FOR car.  Never.  Boggles the mind.  Customer service...apparently is absent at Alamo.

This is why I always check opening hours before renting a car. I don't want to end up in that situation.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5782 on: May 06, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »

It happens sometimes here in Tucson if the flight is delayed until 2 AM or something. Some seem to stay open until the last flight arrives and some seem to say "well I know we have 5 more flights due late because of weather delays but I'm outta here."
Nothing to see here.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #5783 on: May 06, 2014, 07:58:08 AM »

It happens sometimes here in Tucson if the flight is delayed until 2 AM or something. Some seem to stay open until the last flight arrives and some seem to say "well I know we have 5 more flights due late because of weather delays but I'm outta here."
I can't really fault them if things are super delayed, as they are humans and they may have very legit reasons to need to go (kids at home/sitters, morning appt they couldn't reschedule,etc), but I will admit it does stink sometimes.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5784 on: May 06, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »
Some guests have said they've been told "yep we stay open told all the flights have arrived for the day!" though I suspect if they have rented out to everyone who reserved one *and* they are out of cars they probably do close before all flights have landed.
Nothing to see here.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #5785 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
This just happened two days ago! I was thinking of this thread.
I went to an Italian restaurant in my college town, I was with an Italian friend, BF and another friend who lived in Milan for years. This restaurant has good food and most (if not all) the staff are Italian, but this restaurant is in England.
We order our drinks, water and food. Drinks come quickly but then we wait, and wait, and wait for food and water. We finish our drinks and try unsuccessfully to get a server's attention for 15-20 minutes. Finally I catch one of them and he says "your food is coming!" without even stopping, and I had to call after him (not in a rude way) "can we please have some water?" He tries to make a joke about the water costing money, which I didn't think was super funny but my friends from Italy said it was a cultural thing.
Then the food FINALLY came (an hour after we ordered it) and the female server brought all condiments except for Parmesan (which we had last time) so I asked for some.
Server: Parmesan? That is not common in Italy! (laughing loudly and not exactly in a friendly way). You have cheese on your pizza. See (pointing at pizza like I am an idiot) you. Have cheese here. You don't need parmesan.
Me: (Face red at this point) Um, is it a problem? Can I not have parmesan?
Server: (Even louder) It is not common in Italy! But fine! (Loudly laughs while walking over to the condiment table. Then she comes back with the parmesan bowl but won't let me do it, she dumps multiple spoonfuls directly in the center of my pizza while laughing at me and saying things in Italian to my friends)
Me: Please stop! That's enough.
Server: No one in Italy has parmesan on their pizza (then walks off).

That is the worst I have ever been treated in a restaurant. The food was delicious, but I'm never going back there.

z_squared82

« Reply #5786 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »

This is why I always check opening hours before renting a car. I don't want to end up in that situation.

I actually once arrived at the airport BEFORE the counter opened for the day. Don't know how I accomplished that. But they did have a sign at *A Company Counter* that *B Company Counter* would take care of my reservation. Don't know why Alamo in the OP's post didn't think to have a sign.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #5787 on: May 06, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »

I actually once arrived at the airport BEFORE the counter opened for the day. Don't know how I accomplished that. But they did have a sign at *A Company Counter* that *B Company Counter* would take care of my reservation. Don't know why Alamo in the OP's post didn't think to have a sign.
They might have, but the OP wasn't at the counters yet, they were waiting for a shuttle to take them to the counters.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

siamesecat2965

« Reply #5788 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
Not that she really has any choice, but my momís experience with my dadís former company and his pension, and the 3rd party company that administers it. My mom, while almost 80, has every one of her marbles, and does not suffer fools. Something goes wrong, and she is like a dog with a bone, and wonít let go until its been fixed to her satisfaction. Sheís not a complainer by any stretch, but stubborn.

BG: my dad worked for a big pharma company for close to 25 years, and took early retirement when they offered it. He chose the pension option that would pay less monthly, but would allow my mom to continue to get it, after he was gone, as he figured that would be the most likely scenario, and it was. End BG:

So mom now gets it, and at one point, realized that it was less than sheíd been getting (monthly auto deposit into her bank account). So she calls the plan administrator, repeatedly, and finally is told it had been an error on someoneís part, she had been receiving too much, and now the reduced amount was correct. Mom said, well, thatís fine, but why was I not notified of this? Well, um, um um. And asked for something in writing. Which took over a year, and multiple phone calls to get. And turned out to be a form letter. Mom was not pleased. And under various tax and pension laws, she also had to pay back the overpayment, which she was ok with. Things happen.

She was so irked about the impersonal form letter, she wrote a letter to the current CEO of said big pharm company. She basically said the whole situation was handled poorly, reflected poorly on the company, and also made the point that while she is very financially savvy, there may be others in the same situation who are not. She really just wanted to bring it to their attention, and make sure it didnít happen to anyone else, esp since it was a third party company handling the benefits. Within 2 days someone from the benefit dept of big pharma called her personally, and apologized, and also told her they were not happy with the way things had been handled, and would be making sure 3rd party company knew, and so on.  She also told my mom if she ever has any other issues, please call her directly.

Shalamar

« Reply #5789 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
When my dad was laid off from his job, he was told "You'll be getting two weeks' pay as severance."  His boss seemed to think my dad would be delighted by this news.  Little did Boss know that my mother, who has more financial savvy in her little finger than most people have in their entire bodies, had gone through my dad's contract with a fine-tooth comb.  Therefore, Dad said to Boss "Nice try, but my contract stipulates that I'm entitled to three months' severance."  Boss was not happy, but there was nothing he could do.