News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 06:00:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2998798 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5775 on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
There's nothing worse than trying a restaurant you're excitred about, and having not be good.

As for Groupons, I always google the places for reviews before buying. I kind of think a lot places are either new, or hurting for business, sometimes for obvious resons, so I'd rather spend full price on a good meal, than get a not so great one, even if its cheaper.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5776 on: May 08, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »
DH bought a living social coupon to have our hardwood floors refinished. They came out looked at the job and set up the appointment for last Monday at 8 am.  We moved everything from the dining room into the kitchen to make it easier to begin.

At 9 they are a no-show and DH calls.  They are having equipment problems, so they reschedule for Wednesday morning.  Again, they don't show. DH calls the number and a message requires a 10 digit code to be connected.  He calls any and all numbers with no luck. He sends a Facebook message. About noon they finally call and say they are on their way. 

An hour later DH calls and they are just leaving a city in Tennessee, about 45 minutes away.  DH states his displeasure at waiting around and the owner responds that he doesn't like DH's tone and won't be doing the job.

DH has been in contact with living social and that we really want our money back not credit toward another purchase.  Flooring guy is now saying that they weren't going to risk their employees during the tornadoes that hit our county Monday about 6:30 pm. We understand that they would leave early Monday to get home.  Flooring guy doesn't explain how that excuses Monday at 8 am or Wednesday at 8 am no shows.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:58:04 PM by Library Dragon »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5777 on: May 08, 2014, 01:08:25 AM »
I've had good luck with both Groupon and LivingSocial in getting my money back - all I had to do was ask.  In one case it was a hair salon which made unreasonable demands on the use of the deal (something like "Spend $40 get $80 worth of these services" - except when I called to book, they had huge restrictions.  Can only get in with two specific trainees, can't split the deal over two different haircuts, can't bring in a friend to use the rest of the cost, etc.  Essentially, the only thing it was good for was a dye job, and I don't dye my hair.)  The other case was a kids' activity place - the deal was for several day passes.  I went one time, got my deal exchanged for ten one-day vouchers, then they went out of business a few weeks later.  I would have been willing to accept only 90% of my money back (since I did go the one time), but they refunded the whole thing.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5778 on: May 08, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
I have a colleague that is a Groupon fanatic. I did check into it, but never found anything worth the effort, expense and the requirement to use the deal at a single business, so I don't get it.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5779 on: May 08, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »
I have a colleague that is a Groupon fanatic. I did check into it, but never found anything worth the effort, expense and the requirement to use the deal at a single business, so I don't get it.

I have used Groupon only once.  I was going on a girls' weekend and we were looking for things to do in Chicago.  We hit up Groupon and found a Segway tour place that we probably wouldn't have thought to look for and got a Groupon for something like 50% off.  Booked over the phone and everything went great.  I personally wouldn't go trolling for things on a daily basis, but when looking for something more or less specific I think it can be useful.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #5780 on: May 08, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »
There's nothing worse than trying a restaurant you're excitred about, and having not be good.

As for Groupons, I always google the places for reviews before buying. I kind of think a lot places are either new, or hurting for business, sometimes for obvious resons, so I'd rather spend full price on a good meal, than get a not so great one, even if its cheaper.

That was the weird thing about the "mexican" place for which I had a groupon! It is in a somewhat snooty, self-important suburb and it was PACKED with a bunch a people who seemed to be having a great time! I guess if I had just wanted a loud place to drink a margarita, it would have been great...but the food was terrible! This was several years ago and it's still open, so I guess the locals enjoy it :)

z_squared82

« Reply #5781 on: May 08, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »
Iíve read too many bad things to use Groupon, Living Social or the like for a lot of things, but my friends and I did use it to buy tickets (buy one, get one free) for a tour in our city. Yes, we would like to learn about our cityís brewing history, thank you very much.

That worked out just fine.

Iíd probably do it again for classes or tickets, but probably not for hair services restaurants.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5782 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
We had good luck getting a Groupon for a horseback-riding place.  That was fun.

Also for one of those drive-through safari things where you see animals.  Unfortunately, we had to go in the "off-season" because we were moving at the end of May, which meant they didn't have some of the cooler animals like giraffes or zebras, and a lot of the caged animals that you could see at walk-through at the end were gone as well.  That wasn't a restriction on the Groupon, though, just our schedule because of moving, so I can't blame them for that.

Oh, I also did really well with a Groupon for a laser hair removal place.

I guess in general I'd say it worked pretty well for me.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Goosey

« Reply #5783 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
You definitely have to do your research before purchasing and read the fine-print, but I've found wonderful things on Groupon.

A lot of things are priced just as much as anywhere else. But I got our TV on Groupon for a HUGE discount and find a lot of coupons and gifts on there too.

The experiences are definitely the ones you have to read the fine print - there are a lot of black out dates, and "use by" dated, etc

siamesecat2965

« Reply #5784 on: May 08, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
You definitely have to do your research before purchasing and read the fine-print, but I've found wonderful things on Groupon.

A lot of things are priced just as much as anywhere else. But I got our TV on Groupon for a HUGE discount and find a lot of coupons and gifts on there too.

The experiences are definitely the ones you have to read the fine print - there are a lot of black out dates, and "use by" dated, etc

I agree. I've done quite a bit via Groupon, AmazonLocal and Living Social. I've also found, esp with Groupon Goods, if they have it at x price, chances are, you can find it elsewhere for the same price. But that being said, I've bought some nice stuff, and gotten some nice meals out of it. I think if you are willing to do your homework, you should be fine.

my best was a coupon on AmazonLocal for $20 off a refurbished basic Kindle. that was several years ago, when there were rumor the Kindle Keyborad was going to be discontinued,and I wasn't interested in a touchscreen. So i got one "just in case" for $49. I loved it more than my KK, which I gave to my mom, and I still have this one, and its going strong.

cattlekid

« Reply #5785 on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
The Joann Fabrics in a nearby town.  I haven't given up on Joann's entirely, only this particular location.

I am normally in this area of town on Saturday mornings as my knitting group meets in this area.  I usually try to get to Joann's before the meeting starts because of situations like this past weekend. 

I am at Joann's at noon on a Saturday, which is the height of business for this location.  There is one cashier at the registers, who is moving slowly and there are a long line of customers waiting.  The lone cashier finally calls for backup and another cashier arrives.  Instead of taking me to her register, she takes the two people behind me, both of whom peel off the line behind me instead of letting me know that she was open (really, an issue for another post).

Then, when I get to the register, all I wanted was to activate a gift card (Joann's isn't on the wall o' gift cards at our local megamart, or I would have been there instead).  The cashier did not know how to activate the card, then when she called for backup on her headset, no one answered her.  She called over to the first cashier, who yelled back to scan the card, then follow along with the prompts.  Well, after trying three times unsuccessfully to swipe the card (not scan, like she was instructed), I had finally had enough and told her not to bother.   She was getting frustrated, the line was continuing to grow and I figured why continue to  make it worse. 

I've never seen a manager on duty there on a Saturday and the lines at the cutting table are worse than the lines at the register.  Everyone also has a slightly surly attitude.  I'm wondering if it's because they don't have management support and that they are clearly overwhelmed week after week. 

There are other locations in other towns in the area so I am not writing off the chain entirely, but this particular Joann's is now out of the question.

Amara

« Reply #5786 on: May 08, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
Shalamar, your story reminds me of the year I worked as an hourly helper for UPS during the Christmas rush season. A group of us had been hired and told that we might get several weeks of work or only a couple of days, that it depended on the company's needs. I wait and wait and finally, about two a week or two before Christmas, I get a call to come in.

I worked a total of about 20 hours over four or five days. My paycheck arrives and I pick it up and, like you, am almost out the door when I look at it and notice it's for a grand total of ... wait for it: $2.33! Now I know hourly workers are poorly paid but really. I go back in and an exasperated manager hears me out, sees the check and says, in a surly voice, "So what do you want?" "I want to be paid for the hours I worked!" I cried.

Several days later I see my regular UPS guy and tell him about this. He nods his head in complete understanding and says that's routine, that employees have to check their paychecks all the time to be sure they are paid correctly. Apparently the reason for all these problems is that everyone there, including Payroll, are so rushed and so overworked that these mistakes are common.

I groused about UPS for years after that.

Nornster

« Reply #5787 on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
Now I know hourly workers are poorly paid but really.
When I was a seasonal driver`s helper for UPS back in the late `80s, we were the opposite of poorly paid. I made $10-12/hour, back when minimum wage was still $3.35. It took me literally decades to make that kind of hourly wage again.

Of course, good hourly pay is only good if you get paid for the hours you actually worked.

Hillia

« Reply #5788 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
Nationvoice.  They were a reseller of several products that allowed online voice communications (Ventrilo and Mumble are two that I know of).  They're apparently out of business now, as they're not answering their phones, email or online chat.

Also Wells Fargo.

DH and his friends had an account with them some time ago for a chat server.  DH had his debit card on the account as payment, but his friend (who is more technically oriented) was the administrator and contact.

About a year ago, they canceled the account.  Nationvoice never canceled the account, but continued to charge the monthly (5.99) fee to his debit card.  That's totally our fault for not paying closer attention to the bank statements.

However, last month when Nationvoice went belly up, they apparently randomly charged credit cards on file for various amounts.  They charged us 599.99 - in addition to the 'normal' 5.99 charge.  I've read of other people having these random amounts charged, also.

Wells Fargo makes the list because
a) they allowed the charges to go through on a debit card that had been expired for at least 6 months

b) when DH called to report the fraudulent charges and open an investigation, the CSR latched onto the fact that DH's friend was the administrator on the Nationvoice account, and insisted that Friend was the subject of the fraud investigation.  She could not be dissuaded from this; finally DH told her to never mind and hung up.

c) DH called back, got a different person, and opened the complaint.  Yesterday we got a notice telling us they'd credited us 17.97, or 3 months of the 5.99 charges.  DH thought he had made it very clear that we accept responsibility for those charges and are not contesting them - it's the 599.99 that we're worried about.  So he called the fraud department to make sure that they were investigating the right charge.  The CSR was very surly with him and told him that they'd be in contact when they had something to report, and there was no point in him calling to check on it.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5789 on: May 09, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
Wells Fargo is also on my list !

Customer Service is not available through them.  And there is not enough space here to discuss all the problems I have had with them.   Perhaps epic book length. 

I keep books for a number of people and have now reached a policy for new clients - if they bank at Wells Fargo I will not take them on as clients.  Don't care where else in town they bank but not there.