Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1219750 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5790 on: April 30, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
The Sears anchor at our mall always has the best parking and the emptiest store.  You can always count on the parking lot near that one to be nearly empty, no matter what time of the year it is.

Same with my local Sears.

My sister and I always joke that if the local Sears has 5 cars in the parking lot, they are doing record business.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5791 on: May 01, 2014, 06:37:11 AM »
The Sears anchor at our mall always has the best parking and the emptiest store.  You can always count on the parking lot near that one to be nearly empty, no matter what time of the year it is.

My sister and I always joke that if the local Sears has 5 cars in the parking lot, they are doing record business.

I just don't get this.  My local Sears is one of the best stores in the whole mall. Great associates, clean, organized, polite managers, wonderful merchandise.  The only problem I have with the whole store, is there are never enough people to check out customers and that is with every clothing department station manned with at least two people.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5792 on: May 02, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Our microwave died recently, so I had the joy of finding a new one.  I was really happy with my experience at Best Buy (I'm probably the only one on the Internet to say that) - I walked in, told the guy what I wanted, he pointed me to exactly the perfect microwave, and I was out of there five minutes later.  I actually made a point of asking for a manager to compliment the employee for knowing his stock so well - I had kind of expected to spend half an hour awkwardly perusing small print with an employee who tried to be helpful but didn't know anything about their product.

Well.

As it turns out, the new microwave had a flaw in the door - there's a plastic sheet thingy over the mesh of the door, and mine was wrinkled.  Which let steam in, making the front window fog up so you couldn't see anything while the food cooked.  It also steamed up the window with the timer, which I'm assuming would probably cause some problems with the electronics over time.  Additionally, the "sensor cook" and "popcorn" settings - which are supposed to automatically figure out how long to cook all on their own - both produced burned food.  Obviously not just a defect with this particular microwave, then.

So I went to return it yesterday.  (I'd had it about a week; their return policy says 10 days with receipt for any reason, then a bit past that for actual defective merchandise.)

It took forever.  The lady kept arguing with me about whether the microwave was actually broken.  She plugged it in at the counter and turned it on (with nothing in it - never do that!) to prove that it worked.  She argued that the wrinkled plastic on the door was a protective sheet you were supposed to remove.  (It wasn't.)  She utterly did not get the concept that even if the microwave was perfectly fine, they still had to take it back according to their policy.  As it so happened, it was defective, but I was within the 10-day window and they would have been required to take it back even if I just didn't like the color.  Eventually she asked a co-worker, who looked at her like she was nuts and said yes, she should just refund my card  ::)

And that's how I ended up at Sears.  Which was not as fun a purchasing experience (microwaves aren't home appliances, apparently, they're mattresses or luggage, and kept on the complete opposite side of the store) but I now have an even cheaper microwave which appears to be working fine so far  :P

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5793 on: May 02, 2014, 09:35:11 AM »

I just don't get this.  My local Sears is one of the best stores in the whole mall. Great associates, clean, organized, polite managers, wonderful merchandise.  The only problem I have with the whole store, is there are never enough people to check out customers and that is with every clothing department station manned with at least two people.

Ours is terribly annoying. I've gotten some good deals there, but they're uber pushy about credit cards at the checkout and I know a lot of people who've had issues with warranty/repair matters.

Reika

« Reply #5794 on: May 02, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm totally done with Igloo, called for an update about the defective ice maker I returned to them. The rep said "It can take up to 3 weeks to 68 weeks."

Flabbergasted I asked, "up to 68 weeks? Am I hearing this correctly."

"Yes, up to 68 weeks."

Once I'm over my incandescent rage at my ongoing issues, I'm going to post the very unhappy letter I'm working here for advice if folks don't mind.

Shalamar

« Reply #5795 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
Reika, is it possible that clerk misread some paperwork and it actually said "6 to 8 weeks"?  Otherwise, yikes.

I just remembered one - way, WAY back in the day, I was shopping for a grad dress.  There was a mother and daughter in the store doing the same thing.  The daughter was a bit heavy (I only mention this because it's relevant to the story) and looked very downtrodden and depressed, like she would rather have been doing anything else.  The clerk came up to them and started talking to them about what kind of dresses they were looking for.  The mother did all the talking - the daughter just stared at the ground.  Okay, so far it's an uncomfortable and sad sight, but nothing to say "I'll never shop there again" ...

... until the clerk looked at the daughter and suddenly exclaimed "Are you not wearing a BRA?"  The poor girl mumbled something.  "Are you KIDDING?  With YOUR shape, you HAVE to wear a bra!  What's WRONG with you?"  :o

And what was the mother doing through this horrible tirade?  Nodding, with a smug "told you so" expression on her face.  >:(

That poor girl.  I often wonder what happened to her.  (And no, I didn't buy my dress there.  I got the heck out of there before the clerk started berating ME for wearing the wrong shoes, or something.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5796 on: May 02, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
Working in retail and being told that customes like my store better than locations closer to them just confirms that its not necessarily the company, but the individual location. There are some we try and avoid like the plague if we need to do a search for items for a customer. They're that bad.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5797 on: May 02, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Sad to say but 68 weeks could be right!  Many manufacturers have a timetable on when they make certain parts. If there is a run on a part and there is no stock around, you have to wait until the cycle comes back around and new parts are made.  It is cheaper for them to do it this way instead of having a huge stockpile of parts that may or may not get used.  We have run into that with wash machines at work. We had a bunch of transmissions go out at once. We found out it would be nearly 6 months before they would be made again and we could get a new one.  The tenants got new washers.

Reika

« Reply #5798 on: May 02, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »
6-8 weeks is still more than I care for, but reasonable and I did try to clarify that and it's possible that is what the guy was saying. This was one of the call centers where the reps give out all the same name, regardless of the gender.

How do I know? The first two times I called, everyone I spoke with was Christian (and heard the same name being given in the background of the center). Today it was Daniel (and let me tell you, that's really weird to hear a woman calling herself).

I'm just thorougly disgusted over a cheap ice maker. At this point I'm thinking of buying one from a totally different manufacturer.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #5799 on: May 05, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Alamo Rental Cars.  Never again.

We recently went on a trip for spring break.  We flew into a west coast city from a Midwestern city, so there's a 2 hour time difference.  Our flight was scheduled to get in at 10:50 PST and we had a rental reserved through Alamo. 

As often happens, our flight was delayed, so we were an hour late getting in.  So this is now close to midnight PST, and close to two in the morning according to what our bodies are feeling from our time zone.  We got our luggage and went to the area where you wait for rental car shuttles.  There were no rental counters at this airport.  So we saw shuttles for other rental companies at least 3-4 times each, but never an Alamo shuttle. 

Finally after about 1/2 hour, my DH tries to call Alamo and gets some information saying they're closed.  I then call and have quite a time getting to anywhere that will let me talk to a live human.  Finally, I get disconnected!  Not happy.  Call back and this time, I opt for roadside assistance.  I know it's not right, but it's the middle of the night and I just want our car.  She asks where we are and then proceeds to tell me that THAT RENTAL SITE IS CLOSED!!  They closed at 11:30, and they'll reopen at 4:00 a.m.!  There was NOTHING in our reservation that said that the desk closed at 11:30.  There was no signage around the waiting area.  I got mad at that point, and said I have 3 kids, it's the middle of the night, and I'm not waiting around until 4 a.m.  I did tell her that I don't blame her, but this is highly frustrating to have a rental that is paid for and have no way to get it.  At this point, she said 'Oh, you've paid for it?'  Yes, it's paid for, which is why the option of spending more money on an airport hotel or a different rental car just to fix THEIR problem is not appealing (thought this, didn't say this; a lot of scenarios were catapulting around in my head right then).  So I told her that yes, it's been fully paid, and she then told me that National is a sister company of Alamo, and they would honor our reservation.  She's telling me this and as soon as I heard it, I started waving my DH and 3 kids toward the National shuttle that's parked in front of us.  We finally got our car, and it was even a bigger car than we expected, so that was one bright spot.

But what REALLY annoys me is the fact that even if our plane had been on time, there was a very likely possibility that we wouldn't have made it to the rental counter before they closed.  So why did Alamo allow that reservation to be made, knowing that there was a real possibility that they'd leave their customers stranded at the airport?  There should be checks in their system to prevent that.  And keep in mind....I couldn't even talk to a human until I called an incorrect department; their system disconnected me.  Customer service (except for the roadside assistance girl) was definitely in the toilet for this transaction.

We finally got to our hotel and crawled into bed at about 2:30 a.m. PST, or about 4:30 a.m. from what we were used to.  I'm surprised our kids could still function.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5800 on: May 05, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
That's why, when we go to visit my sister/parents in Oregon, we try to get flights that arrive mid-afternoon. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GrammarNerd

« Reply #5801 on: May 06, 2014, 12:37:04 AM »
Never, EVER, did I think that an airport rental car company would just NOT BE OPEN when a customer arrived to pick up their RESERVED and PAID FOR car.  Never.  Boggles the mind.  Customer service...apparently is absent at Alamo.

mmswm

« Reply #5802 on: May 06, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »
I don't think I've ever shared this story here.  Easiest thing to do is just drop a link.

http://notalwaysworking.com/?s=accidon%27t

And yes, I'm the one who submitted the story.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5803 on: May 06, 2014, 01:20:35 AM »
I don't think I've ever shared this story here.  Easiest thing to do is just drop a link.

Did they at least refund you the price of the insurance?

mmswm

« Reply #5804 on: May 06, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »

Did they at least refund you the price of the insurance?

The story didn't end there.  I got mad and did some research to find the contact information of the executive board. I phone bombed as many numbers I could find. I got the attention of one of the executives. By the time I was done with the company they'd replaced the entire living room set and sent me a $200 check for my efforts. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)