Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1218498 times)

Mollie

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5820 on: May 06, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Zappos.  They were brilliant for years but over the last year every order I've put in has been wrong.  I used to be able to depend on them to overnight shoes and it was a true overnight - now "overnight" is 3-4 days later.  I've been sent the wrong size, wrong color, and even wrong shoe completely.  Customer service is wonderful, replacements sent at no cost to me, but this has become too much of a hassle.

Alkira, you should try ordering the wrong size and/or color. Maybe then you will get what you want.  >:D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5821 on: May 06, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
I admire those who don't suffer fools. :)

She's on-call pretty much full-time for her agents, so she has to deal with a lot of business calls when we're out and about. I love the calls with particularly dim and/or PD staffers who don't know what they're up against.

One example: An agent ran out of some forms, so The Sweetie drove some out to her. When she got there, the agent wasn't at her table (they set up in front of stores). The Sweetie finally found her in her car in the parking lot, playing on her phone. She tapped on the window and said "I've got your forms for you."  "Thanks." "Why aren't you working your table?"  "Well, there wasn't much traffic so blah blah blah.....Oh. You're [The Sweetie's Name], aren't you?"  "Yep!"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:35:39 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

CuriousParty

« Reply #5822 on: May 06, 2014, 07:07:31 PM »
Never, EVER, did I think that an airport rental car company would just NOT BE OPEN when a customer arrived to pick up their RESERVED and PAID FOR car.  Never.  Boggles the mind.  Customer service...apparently is absent at Alamo.
It's not just Alamo, and not just airports. I've done this before - rented a car only to find that the location wasn't open when I wanted to pickup. Fortunately I've never been stranded, but I cannot understand why the systems would let you reserve when the store is closed! Now I always double check hours AND available cars.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #5823 on: May 06, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
My epic appliance nightmare story...warning.  It's super long.

We bought our first house a few months ago and all of the kitchen appliances and the washer/dryer needed to be replaced immediately because they were either broken or the originals from when the house was first built (1977).  So we went to a local appliance store that DH's parents recommended and bought $5200 worth of appliances - washer, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. 

We repeatedly told the sales guy how old all of the appliances were and how we wanted all of it installed since we didn't know the first thing about any of this.  We also mentioned that we needed it done before a certain date since we were having hardwood floors put in the following week which they agreed to.  They told us that the installation would be done by two different installers - their installers and another contracted installer which would all come out on one day and do everything.  Whatever, as long as it's done.

Well, the appliance installers came in, took one look at my kitchen and stated they couldn't install any of the appliances because they were so old, the vents needed to be done professionally, the doors were too wide for the washer/dryer to fit through (never measured them)...etc, etc.  The second group of installers never even showed up so I called customer service and asked what the heck was going on?  Well, they forgot to put in the order with the other installers so they wouldn't be able to come out until next week and we would have to pay an additional $600 to have some other installers come out and install the rest of the appliances, but that would be a week as well since their guys were busy.  Not happening - you forgot to put in the order - not my problem.

I remind the customer service agent about our hardwood installation which is in four days and she still states there is nothing she can do.  Well, I get off the phone with her and call up the food chain and complain to anyone who will listen...I complained on their Facebook page, and finally get a call from the store manager and explained the situation and told her that we were NOT going to pay another penny for the install since we already paid for the install and they needed to have someone come out ASAP and install since our hardwood install was looming.  She finally agrees to send out two guys to install everything and she would reimburse me the cost of the install...sigh.  Whatever...as long as it's done ASAP and as long as I get a refund.

Well, these two guys come out and install everything no problem.  The washer/dryer doors weren't too wide as the original installer stated they were, there was nothing wrong with the stove vent, and the appliances weren't too old to replace.  In fact, they had no clue why the original team of installers couldn't install any of it since they had no issues with any of the installation.   ::)

CakeBeret

« Reply #5824 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »
I live in a suburb that is, unfortunately, overrun with chain restaurants. You want Italian? You have to go to Olive Garden. You want steak? You have your choice of 4 different chains. You get the idea.

A brand new, locally owned Italian restaurant opened up one day. Sweet!!! They even had a Groupon deal, so we grabbed one and went in for dinner. I ordered chicken carbonara, DH ordered chicken alfredo.

When our food came, both of our dishes were unrecognizable. His "alfredo" was pasta swimming in oil. No cream, no parmesan. My carbonara had a thick brown sauce, and the pasta was mushy. To add insult to injury, the chicken had been cooked into oblivion. The whole meal was indescribably bad.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5825 on: May 06, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
There was a new branch of a local Tex-Mex restaurant opening up in our neck of the woods a while ago so we tried it out after a month or so of opening. 

While the mariachi band was great, the food was...bland.  And I am a girl that barely dips a chip in salsa because I do not like spice.  None of us liked the food, and we almost wondered if it was some sort of prank, like the old tale of the king's daughter who said she loved her father as salt, etc...

Our food was that flavorless.  !!!

We tried once more, just in case, but it just did not work for us.  The place closed after maybe a year?  And is now something else. 

hmmm...now I am getting hungry with this restaurant talk!  But I am too tired to cook...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Kariachi

« Reply #5826 on: May 07, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
There's one place my family won't go to for multiple reasons, which is kind of a shame because the food actually is good and the people don't seem bad.

A few years back a Mexican restaurant opened in a nearby town, not Tex-Mex actual immigrant-owned and run Mexican restaurant. For their grand opening they set up a little table out front and gave out free tacos, which we tried and thought 'delicious, we'll have to eat here'. It happened once, and not again. Our reasoning-

1) The place is always packed. Always. You just can't get in unless you reserve a table, simply because you'd have to wait otherwise. And this is on the outskirts of town, so it's not like you can park and wander around until it clears up.

2) They burned my food. We got there, we got a table, we ordered, and my food came out burnt (not charred, burnt). Thankfully I actually like burnt food, so we didn't end up sending it back.

3) The portions were small. There was maybe a cup of food on each of our plates, maybe. And this was an entree. Between the three of us we ordered a wide variety of food and all got about the same, miniscule, amount.

4) It's pricey. We spent more on three cups of food and a churro there than we spend buying forty pound bags of boneless chicken from the Amish. You can buy a large leg of lamb around here for less, and those start at ten bucks a pound around here. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

The food is good, but the place is nearly impossible to get into, expensive- especially for our area-, and you don't get much food. Just not worth it to us, especially when, for the same price, you can go into town and have a near certain seat at another restaurant that makes better food and serves more of it.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Jones

« Reply #5827 on: May 07, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »
Huh. You'd think if the food was expensive and poor quality, it would be easier to get a seat.

Unless it's like a certain restaurant in my town, where everyone goes because it is Expensive and therefore High Class.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #5828 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
There's a "Mexican" place near me, and I had a groupon so we decided to try it out. The "Mexican rice" was clearly Chinese fried rice from the freezer section of the grocery store with hot sauce mixed in, and the rest of the food was just boring.

gingerzing

« Reply #5829 on: May 07, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
There is a local restaurant - we will just call Watering Hole - it has been around for over 60 years and built a reputation on good food with a basic menu and their incredible salad bar.  (Small salad bar but always stocked fresh and some speciality salads that you rarely see)  Very busy and Mon-Thu they have specials like Prime Rib Monday or Fried Chicken Thursday for really good deals. 

About 4 years ago, the family got bought out.  The food was still good and most of the waitstaff stayed on.   Still busy and a good food, so we continued to go for a couple years.  We went one night - about 2 years ago - and were told that the wait would be a 30-45 minutes.  There was a crowd, so we were fine.  At the hour mark, DH got antsy.  Finally at 1 1/2 hour mark, he went up to ask about our seat.  (Very few people were getting called for seats during that time.)  He was told in a snotty voice that it wasn't their fault it was busy and he needed to just wait.  No, we decided we would just leave. 

Fast forward to this past Monday.  We were in the neighborhood and decided that we would try again.  They were open and it was Prime Rib night.  Oddly, not a ton of cars in the lot.  We got seated right away and then had a waiter come to take our order.  DH ordered the prime rib and steak fries.  Came back with the food shortly (really really quicker than we expected).  The prime rib was not bad, but it wasn't as good as DH remembered.  Plus his fries, while cooked through, were barely warm.  The chicken was okay, but the breading was a little different.  Plus the waiter never came back to check on how the food was or to refill DH's drink or my water.  When he did come by with the check, we had to ask for boxes and then he asked if we wanted dessert.   ::)  Thanks no. 

We walked out after paying and said that they were certainly coasting on the name.  And that we didn't need to go back.  Especially since in a suburb the grandson of one of the original owners had his own restaurant with many of the same dishes and a similar fantastic salad bar. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5830 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
We had a restaurant in the neighborhood that was a French bistro.  They made a cassoulet that was incredibly good and the rest of the menu was also very tasty.

Then, the inevitable happened.  Our neighborhoodwas just starting to get trendy and the place  received a glowing review in the New York Times.  It was the kiss of death. 

People were coming into our humble neighborhood from Manhattan to eat.  Even with reservations, local people had a hard time getting in.  The prices went up and the quality of the food went down.  They closed within six months.     

Kariachi

« Reply #5831 on: May 07, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
Huh. You'd think if the food was expensive and poor quality, it would be easier to get a seat.

Unless it's like a certain restaurant in my town, where everyone goes because it is Expensive and therefore High Class.

I think it's a combination of the place feeling more casual that most of the places around here (it and the diners are the ones where you least feel like you should dress-up) and it being the only Mexican place in our county. Turns out, rural Upstate NY, surprisingly high number of Mexican workers, surprisingly low number of Mexican restaurants. Which is why they opened the place in the first place. It's easier to get good Greek around here.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5832 on: May 07, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
There's a "Mexican" place near me, and I had a groupon so we decided to try it out. The "Mexican rice" was clearly Chinese fried rice from the freezer section of the grocery store with hot sauce mixed in, and the rest of the food was just boring.

This story reminds me of a restaurant that opened very near our house decades ago when we only had two children, but both were babies and therefore required babysitting.   We loved seeking out restaurants close by so we had some alone time, yet still were close to the house in case of emergency.

We went to this restaurant a couple of times and it was WONDERFUL!!  The ambiance was awesome, the wait staff meticulous, the food absolutely divine.  We finally invited the couple across the street to go with us. 

Our waitress was, shall we say, a little rough around the edges.  She did get our order correct, but came back to inform us that they were completely out of the dish the other woman had ordered.  So Other Woman ordered something different.  A few moments later Waitress came back and said they were out of that too!

So OW ordered spaghetti and meatballs.  Can't go wrong there, right?  Ahem...well, actually apparently you can.  What she was served was very clearly a can of Chef BoyRDee spaghetti straight from the can and barely warmed up.  We joked that part of the delay was that they had had to send someone to the grocery store down the block to get it.

It was so sad because it really did start out as a wonderful place.  I don't know what happened between our second meal there and the third, but it was a drastic negative change to say the least.  We never went back.  The restaurant closed a couple of months later. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5833 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »

I think it's a combination of the place feeling more casual that most of the places around here (it and the diners are the ones where you least feel like you should dress-up) and it being the only Mexican place in our county. Turns out, rural Upstate NY, surprisingly high number of Mexican workers, surprisingly low number of Mexican restaurants. Which is why they opened the place in the first place. It's easier to get good Greek around here.

We have one Greek place here that is truly divine and having tried the gyros in two other places, it's the only place I will go now.  The other place we might try again but I'd never get their gyro again.  They serve a variety of cuisines like Chinese, American, and Greek.  The meat in the gyro was bland and cold and they put WAY too much sauce on it, maybe to hide the fact that it was barely seasoned.  I think I ate maybe two pieces and then tossed the rest. 

The other place was in the mall's food court and as it is they've already closed down.  It was a pizza place but they also served gyros.  And I will say, their gyro was good but it took them about 15 minutes to make it.  The Greek place is only drive up and they take maybe 5 minutes to whip up the best gyro I've ever tasted so I wasn't terribly impressed with having to wait 15 minutes for one at the place in the mall.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #5834 on: May 07, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
My city doesn't have that many Mexican restaurants, so we were thrilled when one opened up close to where my husband and I worked.  We went there for dinner one night and placed our order.  The very nice waitress kept saying anxiously "Are you sure you want that?  It's REALLY spicy.   A lot of people can't handle it."  We assured her that we'd be fine.  When the food arrived, we each took a bite and looked at each other incredulously.  "They call this spicy?  I can't even taste it."  We ended up dumping hot sauce all over it just to get some flavour.  Wasn't too surprised to see that it had closed a month later.