Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1134467 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5820 on: May 06, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »
Not that she really has any choice, but my mom’s experience with my dad’s former company and his pension, and the 3rd party company that administers it. My mom, while almost 80, has every one of her marbles, and does not suffer fools. Something goes wrong, and she is like a dog with a bone, and won’t let go until its been fixed to her satisfaction. She’s not a complainer by any stretch, but stubborn.

BG: my dad worked for a big pharma company for close to 25 years, and took early retirement when they offered it. He chose the pension option that would pay less monthly, but would allow my mom to continue to get it, after he was gone, as he figured that would be the most likely scenario, and it was. End BG:

So mom now gets it, and at one point, realized that it was less than she’d been getting (monthly auto deposit into her bank account). So she calls the plan administrator, repeatedly, and finally is told it had been an error on someone’s part, she had been receiving too much, and now the reduced amount was correct. Mom said, well, that’s fine, but why was I not notified of this? Well, um, um um. And asked for something in writing. Which took over a year, and multiple phone calls to get. And turned out to be a form letter. Mom was not pleased. And under various tax and pension laws, she also had to pay back the overpayment, which she was ok with. Things happen.

She was so irked about the impersonal form letter, she wrote a letter to the current CEO of said big pharm company. She basically said the whole situation was handled poorly, reflected poorly on the company, and also made the point that while she is very financially savvy, there may be others in the same situation who are not. She really just wanted to bring it to their attention, and make sure it didn’t happen to anyone else, esp since it was a third party company handling the benefits. Within 2 days someone from the benefit dept of big pharma called her personally, and apologized, and also told her they were not happy with the way things had been handled, and would be making sure 3rd party company knew, and so on.  She also told my mom if she ever has any other issues, please call her directly.

Shalamar

« Reply #5821 on: May 06, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
When my dad was laid off from his job, he was told "You'll be getting two weeks' pay as severance."  His boss seemed to think my dad would be delighted by this news.  Little did Boss know that my mother, who has more financial savvy in her little finger than most people have in their entire bodies, had gone through my dad's contract with a fine-tooth comb.  Therefore, Dad said to Boss "Nice try, but my contract stipulates that I'm entitled to three months' severance."  Boss was not happy, but there was nothing he could do.

heartmug

« Reply #5822 on: May 06, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
When my dad was laid off from his job, he was told "You'll be getting two weeks' pay as severance."  His boss seemed to think my dad would be delighted by this news.  Little did Boss know that my mother, who has more financial savvy in her little finger than most people have in their entire bodies, had gone through my dad's contract with a fine-tooth comb.  Therefore, Dad said to Boss "Nice try, but my contract stipulates that I'm entitled to three months' severance."  Boss was not happy, but there was nothing he could do.

Excellent!  Reminds me of a one page form I had to give an 18 year old recently.  I told her she had to sign it and why.  She said "Should I read it first?"  I said "I recommend you always read anything before signing it."  She didn't.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5823 on: May 06, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

Excellent!  Reminds me of a one page form I had to give an 18 year old recently.  I told her she had to sign it and why.  She said "Should I read it first?"  I said "I recommend you always read anything before signing it."  She didn't.

Reminds me of my BFF from college. Who is very smart, but oftentimes lacking in the common sense dept. Back before the economy tanked, I was getting upwards of 10-15 credit card apps a week in the mail. I joked to her one time they all look good initially, but when you read the fine print, not so much. She, who by the way is a sr. VP at one of the largest financial institutes in the US, one which issues hundreds of thousands of credit cards etc., said "you read the fine print?"

where's the head slap when you need one?

daen

« Reply #5824 on: May 06, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »

Reminds me of my BFF from college. Who is very smart, but oftentimes lacking in the common sense dept. Back before the economy tanked, I was getting upwards of 10-15 credit card apps a week in the mail. I joked to her one time they all look good initially, but when you read the fine print, not so much. She, who by the way is a sr. VP at one of the largest financial institutes in the US, one which issues hundreds of thousands of credit cards etc., said "you read the fine print?"

where's the head slap when you need one?

I don't suppose that she said it in an "oh, no, you're one of the ones we can't sucker by burying stuff in the fine print" sort of way?

I would prefer that to stupidity, I think. Not by much, but I would still prefer it.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5825 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »
I enjoyed listening to The Sweetie dissect a sales/tech guy for our alarm system. She'd cancelled our landline, and when I pointed out that made the security system not work, she called for the company to come and add wireless to it. Keep in mind that The Sweetie runs a regional sales team and takes no nonsense. I was in another room, so didn't hear it all.

The guy started out with good karma by loving on the kittens. Then he started describing the contract terms; not bad. Then he mentioned that the company can change the price without warning at any time.

The Sweetie: "If you can change the price without warning, then what's the point of having a contract?"'
Guy: (something about all companies work this way)
The Sweetie: "I've never heard of a practice where one party can unilaterally change a contract without penalty."
Guy: (inaudible)
The Sweetie: "That seems predatory to me. What protection do we have that you'll honor any of the other terms?"
Guy: (all companies work this way)
The Sweetie: "I'm sorry. I'm not willing to sign a contract when the other party is admitting in advance that they plan to violate it."

She called the phone company and got the landline back. As soon as our current contract is up, we're finding a different security company.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5826 on: May 06, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
I admire those who don't suffer fools. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

alkira6

« Reply #5827 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Zappos.  They were brilliant for years but over the last year every order I've put in has been wrong.  I used to be able to depend on them to overnight shoes and it was a true overnight - now "overnight" is 3-4 days later.  I've been sent the wrong size, wrong color, and even wrong shoe completely.  Customer service is wonderful, replacements sent at no cost to me, but this has become too much of a hassle.

Mollie

« Reply #5828 on: May 06, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Zappos.  They were brilliant for years but over the last year every order I've put in has been wrong.  I used to be able to depend on them to overnight shoes and it was a true overnight - now "overnight" is 3-4 days later.  I've been sent the wrong size, wrong color, and even wrong shoe completely.  Customer service is wonderful, replacements sent at no cost to me, but this has become too much of a hassle.

Alkira, you should try ordering the wrong size and/or color. Maybe then you will get what you want.  >:D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5829 on: May 06, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
I admire those who don't suffer fools. :)

She's on-call pretty much full-time for her agents, so she has to deal with a lot of business calls when we're out and about. I love the calls with particularly dim and/or PD staffers who don't know what they're up against.

One example: An agent ran out of some forms, so The Sweetie drove some out to her. When she got there, the agent wasn't at her table (they set up in front of stores). The Sweetie finally found her in her car in the parking lot, playing on her phone. She tapped on the window and said "I've got your forms for you."  "Thanks." "Why aren't you working your table?"  "Well, there wasn't much traffic so blah blah blah.....Oh. You're [The Sweetie's Name], aren't you?"  "Yep!"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:35:39 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

CuriousParty

« Reply #5830 on: May 06, 2014, 07:07:31 PM »
Never, EVER, did I think that an airport rental car company would just NOT BE OPEN when a customer arrived to pick up their RESERVED and PAID FOR car.  Never.  Boggles the mind.  Customer service...apparently is absent at Alamo.
It's not just Alamo, and not just airports. I've done this before - rented a car only to find that the location wasn't open when I wanted to pickup. Fortunately I've never been stranded, but I cannot understand why the systems would let you reserve when the store is closed! Now I always double check hours AND available cars.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #5831 on: May 06, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
My epic appliance nightmare story...warning.  It's super long.

We bought our first house a few months ago and all of the kitchen appliances and the washer/dryer needed to be replaced immediately because they were either broken or the originals from when the house was first built (1977).  So we went to a local appliance store that DH's parents recommended and bought $5200 worth of appliances - washer, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. 

We repeatedly told the sales guy how old all of the appliances were and how we wanted all of it installed since we didn't know the first thing about any of this.  We also mentioned that we needed it done before a certain date since we were having hardwood floors put in the following week which they agreed to.  They told us that the installation would be done by two different installers - their installers and another contracted installer which would all come out on one day and do everything.  Whatever, as long as it's done.

Well, the appliance installers came in, took one look at my kitchen and stated they couldn't install any of the appliances because they were so old, the vents needed to be done professionally, the doors were too wide for the washer/dryer to fit through (never measured them)...etc, etc.  The second group of installers never even showed up so I called customer service and asked what the heck was going on?  Well, they forgot to put in the order with the other installers so they wouldn't be able to come out until next week and we would have to pay an additional $600 to have some other installers come out and install the rest of the appliances, but that would be a week as well since their guys were busy.  Not happening - you forgot to put in the order - not my problem.

I remind the customer service agent about our hardwood installation which is in four days and she still states there is nothing she can do.  Well, I get off the phone with her and call up the food chain and complain to anyone who will listen...I complained on their Facebook page, and finally get a call from the store manager and explained the situation and told her that we were NOT going to pay another penny for the install since we already paid for the install and they needed to have someone come out ASAP and install since our hardwood install was looming.  She finally agrees to send out two guys to install everything and she would reimburse me the cost of the install...sigh.  Whatever...as long as it's done ASAP and as long as I get a refund.

Well, these two guys come out and install everything no problem.  The washer/dryer doors weren't too wide as the original installer stated they were, there was nothing wrong with the stove vent, and the appliances weren't too old to replace.  In fact, they had no clue why the original team of installers couldn't install any of it since they had no issues with any of the installation.   ::)

CakeBeret

« Reply #5832 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »
I live in a suburb that is, unfortunately, overrun with chain restaurants. You want Italian? You have to go to Olive Garden. You want steak? You have your choice of 4 different chains. You get the idea.

A brand new, locally owned Italian restaurant opened up one day. Sweet!!! They even had a Groupon deal, so we grabbed one and went in for dinner. I ordered chicken carbonara, DH ordered chicken alfredo.

When our food came, both of our dishes were unrecognizable. His "alfredo" was pasta swimming in oil. No cream, no parmesan. My carbonara had a thick brown sauce, and the pasta was mushy. To add insult to injury, the chicken had been cooked into oblivion. The whole meal was indescribably bad.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5833 on: May 06, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
There was a new branch of a local Tex-Mex restaurant opening up in our neck of the woods a while ago so we tried it out after a month or so of opening. 

While the mariachi band was great, the food was...bland.  And I am a girl that barely dips a chip in salsa because I do not like spice.  None of us liked the food, and we almost wondered if it was some sort of prank, like the old tale of the king's daughter who said she loved her father as salt, etc...

Our food was that flavorless.  !!!

We tried once more, just in case, but it just did not work for us.  The place closed after maybe a year?  And is now something else. 

hmmm...now I am getting hungry with this restaurant talk!  But I am too tired to cook...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Kariachi

« Reply #5834 on: May 07, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
There's one place my family won't go to for multiple reasons, which is kind of a shame because the food actually is good and the people don't seem bad.

A few years back a Mexican restaurant opened in a nearby town, not Tex-Mex actual immigrant-owned and run Mexican restaurant. For their grand opening they set up a little table out front and gave out free tacos, which we tried and thought 'delicious, we'll have to eat here'. It happened once, and not again. Our reasoning-

1) The place is always packed. Always. You just can't get in unless you reserve a table, simply because you'd have to wait otherwise. And this is on the outskirts of town, so it's not like you can park and wander around until it clears up.

2) They burned my food. We got there, we got a table, we ordered, and my food came out burnt (not charred, burnt). Thankfully I actually like burnt food, so we didn't end up sending it back.

3) The portions were small. There was maybe a cup of food on each of our plates, maybe. And this was an entree. Between the three of us we ordered a wide variety of food and all got about the same, miniscule, amount.

4) It's pricey. We spent more on three cups of food and a churro there than we spend buying forty pound bags of boneless chicken from the Amish. You can buy a large leg of lamb around here for less, and those start at ten bucks a pound around here. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

The food is good, but the place is nearly impossible to get into, expensive- especially for our area-, and you don't get much food. Just not worth it to us, especially when, for the same price, you can go into town and have a near certain seat at another restaurant that makes better food and serves more of it.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."