News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 04:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2565556 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5820 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
We had good luck getting a Groupon for a horseback-riding place.  That was fun.

Also for one of those drive-through safari things where you see animals.  Unfortunately, we had to go in the "off-season" because we were moving at the end of May, which meant they didn't have some of the cooler animals like giraffes or zebras, and a lot of the caged animals that you could see at walk-through at the end were gone as well.  That wasn't a restriction on the Groupon, though, just our schedule because of moving, so I can't blame them for that.

Oh, I also did really well with a Groupon for a laser hair removal place.

I guess in general I'd say it worked pretty well for me.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Goosey

« Reply #5821 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
You definitely have to do your research before purchasing and read the fine-print, but I've found wonderful things on Groupon.

A lot of things are priced just as much as anywhere else. But I got our TV on Groupon for a HUGE discount and find a lot of coupons and gifts on there too.

The experiences are definitely the ones you have to read the fine print - there are a lot of black out dates, and "use by" dated, etc

siamesecat2965

« Reply #5822 on: May 08, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
You definitely have to do your research before purchasing and read the fine-print, but I've found wonderful things on Groupon.

A lot of things are priced just as much as anywhere else. But I got our TV on Groupon for a HUGE discount and find a lot of coupons and gifts on there too.

The experiences are definitely the ones you have to read the fine print - there are a lot of black out dates, and "use by" dated, etc

I agree. I've done quite a bit via Groupon, AmazonLocal and Living Social. I've also found, esp with Groupon Goods, if they have it at x price, chances are, you can find it elsewhere for the same price. But that being said, I've bought some nice stuff, and gotten some nice meals out of it. I think if you are willing to do your homework, you should be fine.

my best was a coupon on AmazonLocal for $20 off a refurbished basic Kindle. that was several years ago, when there were rumor the Kindle Keyborad was going to be discontinued,and I wasn't interested in a touchscreen. So i got one "just in case" for $49. I loved it more than my KK, which I gave to my mom, and I still have this one, and its going strong.

cattlekid

« Reply #5823 on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
The Joann Fabrics in a nearby town.  I haven't given up on Joann's entirely, only this particular location.

I am normally in this area of town on Saturday mornings as my knitting group meets in this area.  I usually try to get to Joann's before the meeting starts because of situations like this past weekend. 

I am at Joann's at noon on a Saturday, which is the height of business for this location.  There is one cashier at the registers, who is moving slowly and there are a long line of customers waiting.  The lone cashier finally calls for backup and another cashier arrives.  Instead of taking me to her register, she takes the two people behind me, both of whom peel off the line behind me instead of letting me know that she was open (really, an issue for another post).

Then, when I get to the register, all I wanted was to activate a gift card (Joann's isn't on the wall o' gift cards at our local megamart, or I would have been there instead).  The cashier did not know how to activate the card, then when she called for backup on her headset, no one answered her.  She called over to the first cashier, who yelled back to scan the card, then follow along with the prompts.  Well, after trying three times unsuccessfully to swipe the card (not scan, like she was instructed), I had finally had enough and told her not to bother.   She was getting frustrated, the line was continuing to grow and I figured why continue to  make it worse. 

I've never seen a manager on duty there on a Saturday and the lines at the cutting table are worse than the lines at the register.  Everyone also has a slightly surly attitude.  I'm wondering if it's because they don't have management support and that they are clearly overwhelmed week after week. 

There are other locations in other towns in the area so I am not writing off the chain entirely, but this particular Joann's is now out of the question.

Shalamar

« Reply #5824 on: May 08, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
There's a moving company I'll never use again.

When we moved from House #1 to House #2, we had to leave our things in storage for six weeks because House #2 was a showhome, and it was supposed to remain a showhome until the end of June 1999.  So, we hired this moving company to put all of our stuff into House #2's garage.  They did a wonderful job, and I couldn't praise them enough.  I asked the head moving guy if he'd be able to provide the same team to move our stuff from the garage into the house itself when the time came; he assured me that it would be done.

Fast-forward to July 1 1999 - moving day!  The moving guys were supposed to be at the house 8:00 a.m.   The time came and went.  I called the main office and was told "They're on their way."  9:00 a.m. came and went.  Then 10:00 a.m.   They finally showed up.  Turned out that they "got lost" (and didn't bother to call anyone, apparently).   I couldn't help but notice that it was a completely different team from the one we had before.  The kicker was when they informed us that they had another job to get to at noon, so they would only be able to move our stuff for two hours.  I said "Oh, HECK no.  We've paid for four hours of your time; we're getting four hours."   They weren't happy, but there wasn't much they could do.

But wait, there's more!  We had bought a bunch of boxes from this company with the understanding that if there were any that we didn't use, or any used ones that were still in good shape, we could return them for a refund.  So I brought them back the following week, only to be told that "the guy who handles refunds isn't here.  He'll be here tomorrow."  Except that he wasn't.  Nor was he there the day after that.  The day after THAT, I was told "His wife had a baby.  He won't be here for a few weeks."  I lost my cool and demanded that someone write me a cheque there and then, and I wasn't leaving without it.  They very grudgingly wrote my cheque and handed it to me.  I was almost out the door when I turned around and said nastily "You realize this isn't signed, right?"  The "Rats, I hoped you wouldn't notice that" expression on the secretary's face spoke volumes.

I'm sure they thought I was a royal b-word, because the cheque was for some paltry amount ($22, if I remember correctly).  But I had the bit between my teeth by that point and was not leaving until I got my money back!

Amara

« Reply #5825 on: May 08, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
Shalamar, your story reminds me of the year I worked as an hourly helper for UPS during the Christmas rush season. A group of us had been hired and told that we might get several weeks of work or only a couple of days, that it depended on the company's needs. I wait and wait and finally, about two a week or two before Christmas, I get a call to come in.

I worked a total of about 20 hours over four or five days. My paycheck arrives and I pick it up and, like you, am almost out the door when I look at it and notice it's for a grand total of ... wait for it: $2.33! Now I know hourly workers are poorly paid but really. I go back in and an exasperated manager hears me out, sees the check and says, in a surly voice, "So what do you want?" "I want to be paid for the hours I worked!" I cried.

Several days later I see my regular UPS guy and tell him about this. He nods his head in complete understanding and says that's routine, that employees have to check their paychecks all the time to be sure they are paid correctly. Apparently the reason for all these problems is that everyone there, including Payroll, are so rushed and so overworked that these mistakes are common.

I groused about UPS for years after that.

Nornster

« Reply #5826 on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
Now I know hourly workers are poorly paid but really.
When I was a seasonal driver`s helper for UPS back in the late `80s, we were the opposite of poorly paid. I made $10-12/hour, back when minimum wage was still $3.35. It took me literally decades to make that kind of hourly wage again.

Of course, good hourly pay is only good if you get paid for the hours you actually worked.

Hillia

« Reply #5827 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
Nationvoice.  They were a reseller of several products that allowed online voice communications (Ventrilo and Mumble are two that I know of).  They're apparently out of business now, as they're not answering their phones, email or online chat.

Also Wells Fargo.

DH and his friends had an account with them some time ago for a chat server.  DH had his debit card on the account as payment, but his friend (who is more technically oriented) was the administrator and contact.

About a year ago, they canceled the account.  Nationvoice never canceled the account, but continued to charge the monthly (5.99) fee to his debit card.  That's totally our fault for not paying closer attention to the bank statements.

However, last month when Nationvoice went belly up, they apparently randomly charged credit cards on file for various amounts.  They charged us 599.99 - in addition to the 'normal' 5.99 charge.  I've read of other people having these random amounts charged, also.

Wells Fargo makes the list because
a) they allowed the charges to go through on a debit card that had been expired for at least 6 months

b) when DH called to report the fraudulent charges and open an investigation, the CSR latched onto the fact that DH's friend was the administrator on the Nationvoice account, and insisted that Friend was the subject of the fraud investigation.  She could not be dissuaded from this; finally DH told her to never mind and hung up.

c) DH called back, got a different person, and opened the complaint.  Yesterday we got a notice telling us they'd credited us 17.97, or 3 months of the 5.99 charges.  DH thought he had made it very clear that we accept responsibility for those charges and are not contesting them - it's the 599.99 that we're worried about.  So he called the fraud department to make sure that they were investigating the right charge.  The CSR was very surly with him and told him that they'd be in contact when they had something to report, and there was no point in him calling to check on it.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5828 on: May 09, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
Wells Fargo is also on my list !

Customer Service is not available through them.  And there is not enough space here to discuss all the problems I have had with them.   Perhaps epic book length. 

I keep books for a number of people and have now reached a policy for new clients - if they bank at Wells Fargo I will not take them on as clients.  Don't care where else in town they bank but not there.

gingerzing

« Reply #5829 on: May 09, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »
If Wells Fargo wasn't the only place that we could get the particular home loan that we have, I would never darken their door. 
Them and Bank of America.

I will stick to my happy credit union. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5830 on: May 09, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
My hubby uses Wells Fargo, and I have yet to hear him say anything good about them. Once his car loan is paid off, I think he will ditch them for once and for all.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cicero

« Reply #5831 on: May 10, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
At the train station in tel Aviv ( coffee shop).

I've heard stories about the rudeness of the people running one of the coffee shops ( there are about half a dozen food stores/kiosk and then a number of vending machines at the train PP platforms). This is not as place I frequent but when I'm in that city, chances are I'll go through that station.

Anyway, I took a coke bottle out of the fridge ( no indication anywhere about the price), and stepped over to the counter( few ft away) to pay. I asked the price and it was outrageously expensive. I said " sorry, I don't want this, it's too expensive", and turned to put it back. She started yelling at me that I should have asked first and why did I do that and " next time ask first". I smiled sweetly and said " oh, don't worry, there isn't going to be a next time", put the bottle back and left, while she continues to yell "good, we don't need your money blah blah"

( walked down to the platforms and bought the same coke for about 50 cents less and the machine said " thank you". I swear!)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5832 on: May 10, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
Wells Fargo, Chapter Two

One of my favorite clients banks at Wells Fargo, I make deposits for him frequently at the drive thru commercial teller.  About a week ago the teller informed me that they would rather I use a regular teller since the deposits are so small (few checks, not amounts). 

I said isn't that the purpose of a commercial teller so I don't have to wait in line behind regular bankers?  She said, well it's easier on us if you use the regular tellers.   :o

Yesterday, I took in another deposit to the regular drive thru - same branch (it was 8 checks).  The teller said you know you can use the Commercial Teller, it's much faster. 

I'm calling the main branch Monday to see if they know what the heck is going on over there. 

The commercial teller is usually faster because she is handling ONE lane of customers.  Sometimes you get behind someone buying their change for the weekend or depositing several deposits for their business.  That's why it's called the commercial window - it's for businesses.  It is still usually faster.

The regular teller lanes are 6 - 10 open at any given time with two, maybe three tellers handling all of them, but the lines are always longer.  Sometimes I will get behind someone that sends in their deposit, then sends in a check for cash, then wants to argue through the speaker about how much money is in their account - agghhh.   

No, I don't want to walk in.  That's why I use the blooming drive thru!     

gmatoy

« Reply #5833 on: May 10, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Wells Fargo, Chapter Two

One of my favorite clients banks at Wells Fargo, I make deposits for him frequently at the drive thru commercial teller.  About a week ago the teller informed me that they would rather I use a regular teller since the deposits are so small (few checks, not amounts). 

I said isn't that the purpose of a commercial teller so I don't have to wait in line behind regular bankers?  She said, well it's easier on us if you use the regular tellers.   :o

Yesterday, I took in another deposit to the regular drive thru - same branch (it was 8 checks).  The teller said you know you can use the Commercial Teller, it's much faster. 

I'm calling the main branch Monday to see if they know what the heck is going on over there. 

The commercial teller is usually faster because she is handling ONE lane of customers.  Sometimes you get behind someone buying their change for the weekend or depositing several deposits for their business.  That's why it's called the commercial window - it's for businesses.  It is still usually faster.

The regular teller lanes are 6 - 10 open at any given time with two, maybe three tellers handling all of them, but the lines are always longer.  Sometimes I will get behind someone that sends in their deposit, then sends in a check for cash, then wants to argue through the speaker about how much money is in their account - agghhh.   

No, I don't want to walk in.  That's why I use the blooming drive thru!   

My friend, who uses a wheelchair, was going through drive through window. The teller told her, "Next time, use the regular teller lines." She told the teller, "Maybe in my next life, when I'm able to walk." The teller told her that "the more you walk, the easier it is to walk."
Friend said, "Except when it isn't!" The teller started to argue and friend cut her off and said, "I'm in a wheelchair for a reason." Teller started to say something and friend asked for a manager: NOW!!

It may be a coincident, but she has never seen that teller again. If she did, I think anymore of those comments would make her say, "I'm never banking there again!"

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5834 on: May 10, 2014, 06:16:03 PM »
My friend, who uses a wheelchair, was going through drive through window. The teller told her, "Next time, use the regular teller lines." She told the teller, "Maybe in my next life, when I'm able to walk." The teller told her that "the more you walk, the easier it is to walk."
Friend said, "Except when it isn't!" The teller started to argue and friend cut her off and said, "I'm in a wheelchair for a reason." Teller started to say something and friend asked for a manager: NOW!!

It may be a coincident, but she has never seen that teller again. If she did, I think anymore of those comments would make her say, "I'm never banking there again!"

:o :o :o

I seldom say this, but that teller deserved to be fired. There's no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice