Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1211486 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5880 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
Maybe by the words 'lifetime warranty' they meant for the life time of the battery! 

magicdomino

« Reply #5881 on: May 18, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
Midas Muffler (which probably has a different name now since they do things other than replace mufflers).  Midas once offered a "lifetime warranty" on auto mufflers.  The trick is that the warranty covered only the muffler itself, one whose wholesale cost was pretty cheap, judging by its short lifespan.  My mother was replacing the muffler every two or three years, paying for the labor each time.  Midas may not offer the warranty any more.  I wouldn't know, because I've never taken a car there after Mother's experience.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5882 on: May 21, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »
I'm waiting to hear back from Amazon after an expensive hardcover I paid $40+ for as gift to DH came damaged. There were scratches on the front and there's a noticeable chunk of the spine missing. I let them know as well as the fact that his birthday is next week and there's no time to exchange it as I bought it at the beginning of May, expecting the book to be undamaged.

I've ordered from Amazon in the past with no problems, as it's considerably cheaper than buying books in shops. The mark up for books in Australia is something ridiculous.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5883 on: May 21, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
Amazon is usually very good about making things right. Did you file a claim via the website?

djinnidjream

« Reply #5884 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
Because I was in my red zone (I scared the library staff  >:D ) I called Office Depot customer service and was told that the store manager had full discretion to take the check.  A different story than yesterday.

I think this is true though.  A number of years ago, I needed to purchase two new computers- they were on sale and in order to get the deal, they had to be rung in separately.  I was paying with a company credit card- and the second purchase was declined.  The reason for the decline had something to do with two transactions of the same amount so close to each other.  Since the manager knew me, he overrode it and accepted the sale.  If they can do that with a credit card 15 years ago, they can definitely do that with Telecheck nowadays.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5885 on: May 22, 2014, 12:27:34 AM »
Because I was in my red zone (I scared the library staff  >:D ) I called Office Depot customer service and was told that the store manager had full discretion to take the check.  A different story than yesterday.

I think this is true though.  A number of years ago, I needed to purchase two new computers- they were on sale and in order to get the deal, they had to be rung in separately.  I was paying with a company credit card- and the second purchase was declined.  The reason for the decline had something to do with two transactions of the same amount so close to each other.  Since the manager knew me, he overrode it and accepted the sale.  If they can do that with a credit card 15 years ago, they can definitely do that with Telecheck nowadays.

Unless their systems have been updated or changed to lock down the leeway of what can and can't be done.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5886 on: May 22, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »
Amazon is usually very good about making things right. Did you file a claim via the website?
Yes, they've offered a 30% refund, which I think is fair.

On another note, my health fund has finally paid my ambulance bill. I needed an ambulance ride in August, the ambulance sent the bill in April as a final notice but I never got the first two. I sent the bill on to my health fund, which took a month to process the payment. In the mean time I got a notice from a bill collector. This all would have been avoided if it had been fixed up when I used the ambulance, which my DH was trying to do at the time, or at least sent the bill a bit sooner.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:54:51 PM by Katana_Geldar »

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5887 on: May 23, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »

Unless their systems have been updated or changed to lock down the leeway of what can and can't be done.

Full discretion might = well sure they can override the system but if anything goes wrong they will be fired and charged for the lose to the company.  But a public library I'd make an exception for but for a newly open business I may not.   

I wouldn't be upset if a company didn't have a policy in place to hold an order until a check cleared.

I would be very upset with Telecheck though for saying "we'll approve the check" and then not doing so. I have to wonder they deal with new businesses? isn't Office Depot ,  Office Max , Best Buy etc one of the first places a company needs to shop at and wouldn't the first order be big(relatively speaking)   

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #5888 on: May 23, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
A certain Etsy seller.

I purchased a wire work tutorial from an Etsy seller. I have done wire weaving and crochet for a long time and I am quite good at it. When I came across a tutorial for a technique that the seller described as new and innovative, that they had developed themselves, I was curious and bought it (it was not inexpensive for a tutorial). Guess what? It was the same old technique, under a new, fancy name. I waited a few days to cool down and posted a two star review, saying this and citing sources for the technique.

Today, I get a message for the seller, asking how could I leave negative feedback. It has a big impact on her business and she took a lot of time making that tutorial. In other words, it was all about her and her business, not my satisfaction as a client with her misrepresented product.

You know what? I don't care. If she had phrased it differently, I might have considered the refund she offered as though it were a big favour. But to remove a negative but accurate feedback because it could hurt her? Guess what? It would hurt because it is true!

HorseFreak

« Reply #5889 on: May 25, 2014, 08:13:18 PM »
I bought a cloth cover for my toilet paper roll since my cat thinks it's great sport to rip apart and unroll Charmin brand (I bought the little brat his own $0.25 roll of discount brand and he wasn't really interested after a minute, though it was amazing how wide his eyes got when I gave it to him). 

This cat is scary smart and quickly learned to rip the cover off with his teeth while standing on the bathroom counter as the holder attaches to the side of the vanity. I applied some double-sided, clear, anti-scratch tape to the top which quickly ended that behavior and stated as much in my very positive review of the product on Amazon. I got an email from the seller who told me I was clearly using it wrong and chided me for posting a suggestion of how to handle some sneaky cats on the product page. She seemed a tad over-defensive.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5890 on: May 25, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
...    I applied some double-sided, clear, anti-scratch tape to the top which quickly ended that behavior and stated as much in my very positive review of the product on Amazon. I got an email from the seller who told me I was clearly using it wrong and chided me for posting a suggestion of how to handle some sneaky cats on the product page. She seemed a tad over-defensive.

She'll change her tune when she starts getting hundreds of orders for her product from eager cat owners who also cohabit with brilliant and sneaky felines.   ;)
Then maybe she'll send you a thank you note!!

Library Dragon

« Reply #5891 on: May 25, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »

Full discretion might = well sure they can override the system but if anything goes wrong they will be fired and charged for the lose to the company.  But a public library I'd make an exception for but for a newly open business I may not.   

I wouldn't be upset if a company didn't have a policy in place to hold an order until a check cleared.

I would be very upset with Telecheck though for saying "we'll approve the check" and then not doing so. I have to wonder they deal with new businesses? isn't Office Depot ,  Office Max , Best Buy etc one of the first places a company needs to shop at and wouldn't the first order be big(relatively speaking)

I would fully understand if I had wanted to load up 20 laptops into my car. Office Depot has been half heartedly trying to make nice. Supposedly I'll be given gift cards to reimburse for our time and mileage reimbursement.  Telecheck sent a letter reiterating that we were turned down because we had never done business with Office Depot.

I was at a graduation party yesterday. Guess what story I shared with the guests?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

aloe

« Reply #5892 on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
1.  A local small-town independent jeweler who for years I bought 2nd hand jewelry from.  I was one of his best customers.  He sold me a ring that was marked 18K gold and it turned out to be totally fake.  It was brass with gold plating.  He didn't believe me and only refunded me half of what I paid. He treated me like I was lying.  He then tested the ring and agreed it was fake, but still wouldn't totally refund me.  The amount of money wasn't worth me taking legal action. I actually think he was fooled by the person who sold it to him, and didn't knowingly try to rip me off, but the way he treated me was abysmal. He was arrogant and mean.  He had always been nice to me before. He's lost a lot of sales because I never went back.  It's been over a year.  I don't recommend him to my friends anymore.

2.  A favorite restaurant that has a buffet.  I was deep in conversation with my friend, and the owner/waitress tried to grab my plate that still had food on it.  She insisted on removing my plate  even after I told her I was still eating, and we had a kind of tug of war with it after she grabbed it again.  She told me I could get more food at the buffet.  It totally interrupted my lunch with my friend and it was very weird.  I never went back...and that owner is still grilling my friend every times she eats there "Where is your friend?  How come she never eats here anymore?"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:04:54 PM by aloe »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5893 on: May 26, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »
1.  A local small-town independent jeweler who for years I bought 2nd hand jewelry from.  I was one of his best customers.  He sold me a ring that was marked 18K gold and it turned out to be totally fake.  It was brass with gold plating.  He didn't believe me and only refunded me half of what I paid. He treated me like I was lying.  He then tested the ring and agreed it was fake, but still wouldn't totally refund me.  The amount of money wasn't worth me taking legal action. I actually think he was fooled by the person who sold it to him, and didn't knowingly try to rip me off, but the way he treated me was abysmal. He was arrogant and mean.  He had always been nice to me before. He's lost a lot of sales because I never went back.  It's been over a year.  I don't recommend him to my friends anymore.

2.  A favorite restaurant that has a buffet.  I was deep in conversation with my friend, and the owner/waitress tried to grab my plate that still had food on it.  She insisted on removing my plate  even after I told her I was still eating, and we had a kind of tug of war with it after she grabbed it again.  She told me I could get more food at the buffet.  It totally interrupted my lunch with my friend and it was very weird.  I never went back...and that owner is still grilling my friend every times she eats there "Where is your friend?  How come she never eats here anymore?"

2...Has your friend stated why?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

aloe

« Reply #5894 on: May 27, 2014, 01:44:21 AM »
That is a story in itself.  My friend would just tell her, "I don't know."  Last time I saw the friend, she told me she wanted to tell the owner the truth because she felt really pressured.  I said, "I prefer if you don't."  Then later I told her, "I don't care what you tell her."  I at this point don't know what she did.