Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1131321 times)

Baby Snakes

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5880 on: May 15, 2014, 11:27:21 AM »
Comcast struck at my place this week and if I can find another service, I am switching.  I was watching tv when the screen went blank.   No amount of unplugging or tightening cables would get the box to start again, so I called their support line. 

The guy on the line says that I'll need a new box to replace what he has determined to be a defective box. He tells me that in order to have it replaced, I'll have to pay fees to schedule a service appointment.  After I expressed that I wasn't pleased that I would have to pay to get something I've already paid for once fixed because they gave me a defective box, he mentioned that I could also take the box into the service center for a free replacement. I opted to take the box in myself to speed things along and save money.

I made sure to ask which office exactly I should go to and which items I needed  to take in.  He was not nice about any of this - when I tried to clarify exactly what they'd need back from me, you'd think I'd asked him to count odd numbers backwards from 10001 the way he reacted. 

This morning I go in and the woman with one look at the box says "Oh you have an X1.  Our service centers don't support that product."  I explained that I had called in and was told to come here and she just repeats "No, we don't even have any of those here or any way of helping with that box. You'll have to make an appointment for in-home service." 

She was good enough to admit that the guy on the phone had given me incorrect information.  She did not however agree to credit my account for the week I'll be unable to use the box.  Her reasoning was that it would be better for me to call in once the new box is successfully installed so that they wouldn't have to go back and add more time on if it didn't work (worrisome in and of itself - how can they mess up a basic installation of a new box??).  When I asked who I'm supposed to call to get the credit, I almost laughed in her face when she told me to call the same people who'd told me to bring the box that could only be serviced by a tech at my home across town to their service center.  I am of course now worried that I'll call in for credit once this is all done and they'll refuse to do it.   >:(

She also wouldn't confirm whether or not I'd be charged for this appointment - how hard is it to say yes or no to that question?  I was a bit disappointed in myself for not pressing the issue, but after trying twice, I gave up and just left.

Nonsense like this drove us to cancel Comcast and go with Verizon.  The kicker was when we wanted to install a cable box in the guest bedroom.  I called and made an appointment, took time off work and when the technician arrived he stood there and argued with me for about a half hour about how "we don't run cable".  I replied, well you're the cable company, I called and told the representative what we wanted that they assured us that it was possible.  I finally threw the guy out and called Comcast and explained what had happened.  The next technician they sent gave me the same nonsense as the first.  Later that day I cancelled Comcast (and told them why).  Then I called and had Verizon installed.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5881 on: May 15, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
UPDATE:  I phoned TeleCheck yesterday and was assured that our check would be accepted for the order.  But a different check.  Today I sent my computer guy with a new check to pay for the laptops.  Again, it was refused by TeleCheck.  I called TeleCheck and was told that the check was again denied because we haven't done business with Office Depot.  Imagine what the chances are in the future that we will ever do business with Office Depot.  All we have ever asked for in this transaction is for our payment to be accepted, cleared and THEN the items sent to us. 

Fortunately the Best Buy next door has as good a product for less money.  I just have to get another check!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5882 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
UPDATE:  I phoned TeleCheck yesterday and was assured that our check would be accepted for the order.  But a different check.  Today I sent my computer guy with a new check to pay for the laptops.  Again, it was refused by TeleCheck.  I called TeleCheck and was told that the check was again denied because we haven't done business with Office Depot.  Imagine what the chances are in the future that we will ever do business with Office Depot.  All we have ever asked for in this transaction is for our payment to be accepted, cleared and THEN the items sent to us. 

Fortunately the Best Buy next door has as good a product for less money.  I just have to get another check!

Sorry, you can't do business there because you've never done business there. If you want to do business there you'll need to do business there first. Kthanksbye!!

Library Dragon

« Reply #5883 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Because I was in my red zone (I scared the library staff  >:D ) I called Office Depot customer service and was told that the store manager had full discretion to take the check.  A different story than yesterday. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5884 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
Because I was in my red zone (I scared the library staff  >:D ) I called Office Depot customer service and was told that the store manager had full discretion to take the check.  A different story than yesterday.

So he just what, doesn't want all your money? Did there come a moment where you seriously wondered if you were on a hidden camera prank show? It's just too crazy!

NyaChan

« Reply #5885 on: May 15, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »

So he just what, doesn't want all your money? Did there come a moment where you seriously wondered if you were on a hidden camera prank show? It's just too crazy!

If they don't know already, I'd call back and let them know they just lost a big order to a competitor.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5886 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
Oh there will be multiple letters going out. In this economy what business turns away an almost $10,000 order? A crazy one obviously.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5887 on: May 16, 2014, 03:34:47 PM »
My Sam's club also automatically renews membership when you shop there.  I am finished with them too.  Haven't missed it either.

Gordon's Jewelers is about to be on my never again list...

I bought a watch battery there two years ago - LIFETIME warranty for $20
I thought that was ridiculous for a watch battery but at $5 a year I could see breaking even within four years.  Of course the battery eventually stopped and I went in with my paperwork to get it replaced.  Both times I have been told they don't have that battery but come back in two weeks.  They are in the mall and I rarely shop there (been in there three times in last year - twice for the darn battery). 

So thus far I have been without my watch for over a month.  I suspect the lifetime warranty is not going to be worth anything...they won't carry that battery anymore and I'll be hosed.

Still no battery for my watch - this time they promise to call when one comes in...

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5888 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
Maybe by the words 'lifetime warranty' they meant for the life time of the battery! 

magicdomino

« Reply #5889 on: May 18, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
Midas Muffler (which probably has a different name now since they do things other than replace mufflers).  Midas once offered a "lifetime warranty" on auto mufflers.  The trick is that the warranty covered only the muffler itself, one whose wholesale cost was pretty cheap, judging by its short lifespan.  My mother was replacing the muffler every two or three years, paying for the labor each time.  Midas may not offer the warranty any more.  I wouldn't know, because I've never taken a car there after Mother's experience.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5890 on: May 21, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »
I'm waiting to hear back from Amazon after an expensive hardcover I paid $40+ for as gift to DH came damaged. There were scratches on the front and there's a noticeable chunk of the spine missing. I let them know as well as the fact that his birthday is next week and there's no time to exchange it as I bought it at the beginning of May, expecting the book to be undamaged.

I've ordered from Amazon in the past with no problems, as it's considerably cheaper than buying books in shops. The mark up for books in Australia is something ridiculous.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5891 on: May 21, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
Amazon is usually very good about making things right. Did you file a claim via the website?

djinnidjream

« Reply #5892 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »

I think this is true though.  A number of years ago, I needed to purchase two new computers- they were on sale and in order to get the deal, they had to be rung in separately.  I was paying with a company credit card- and the second purchase was declined.  The reason for the decline had something to do with two transactions of the same amount so close to each other.  Since the manager knew me, he overrode it and accepted the sale.  If they can do that with a credit card 15 years ago, they can definitely do that with Telecheck nowadays.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5893 on: May 22, 2014, 12:27:34 AM »

I think this is true though.  A number of years ago, I needed to purchase two new computers- they were on sale and in order to get the deal, they had to be rung in separately.  I was paying with a company credit card- and the second purchase was declined.  The reason for the decline had something to do with two transactions of the same amount so close to each other.  Since the manager knew me, he overrode it and accepted the sale.  If they can do that with a credit card 15 years ago, they can definitely do that with Telecheck nowadays.

Unless their systems have been updated or changed to lock down the leeway of what can and can't be done.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5894 on: May 22, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »
Amazon is usually very good about making things right. Did you file a claim via the website?
Yes, they've offered a 30% refund, which I think is fair.

On another note, my health fund has finally paid my ambulance bill. I needed an ambulance ride in August, the ambulance sent the bill in April as a final notice but I never got the first two. I sent the bill on to my health fund, which took a month to process the payment. In the mean time I got a notice from a bill collector. This all would have been avoided if it had been fixed up when I used the ambulance, which my DH was trying to do at the time, or at least sent the bill a bit sooner.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:54:51 PM by Katana_Geldar »