News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 16, 2017, 12:40:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2445115 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5880 on: May 27, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Yeah unfortunately I just did before this all came up again so it's not worth it to do so again so soon especially at my new rate.

yeah - I can understand that. Still sucks.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5881 on: May 27, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
I've never had any problem with Wells Fargo but my DH had nothing BUT problems with Bank of America.  He's now with WF and much happier.

If I could get rid of US Bank for my mortgage, I would.  They are completely inept at keeping the right amount in my escrow account.  There have now been SEVEN times in the past several years that they either say I owe them money because it is too low (and not small amounts, always $500 or more) or they send me money because there is too much in there.  Just keep the excess in there - I know you are going to screw it up and not have enough next time!  But no.  In fact, right now I owe them about $500 but they owe me $1200 (I never saw the check they sent so had to send them an affidavit saying it was lost).  Can they even it out and just send me the net of $700?  Oh no, much too complicated.  Sigh.  I would be happy to pay another $10 or whatever every month if it would just keep this from happening again.

I think there's some requirement (at least in the US) about how much is allowed to be in escrow at any given time. That doesn't excuse them for not having enough, but does explain why they would send you the excess periodically.

I never had a mortgage with them, but I had a great experiences banking with US Bank - always good customer service. I wouldn't have closed my accounts there but they were going to start charging me $7/month to keep them open, so I left.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

aloe

« Reply #5882 on: May 27, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
The fact she is harassing friend about why she hasn't been back speaks volumes and would make me not want to return.

^ Exactly.  I know my story was a little confusing, but yes - the server was the owner, manager and waitress - one person!  Somewhat unusual.

aloe

« Reply #5883 on: May 27, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
I usually give people a few chances to redeem themselves. (Such as 3 strikes and you're out.)  I realize people make mistakes and faux pas, I am guilty of that too, so I don't usually write off something at 1 strike.  But, this waitress/owner already had used up a few strikes before the "plate tug-of-war incident."

I was eating lunch there with a friend several months before.  The friend and I also have a business relationship and we were deep in conversation talking about the "widgets" I sell her.  I had a few samples of the widgets.  Though I am a business person, I am not an aggressive marketer and am quite discreet about trying to sell to people.

The waitress/owner comes over and interrupts us in an unwanted, nosy way and asked me how much my widgets cost.  I told her a price, and she got a weird look on her face and said, "That's too expensive," and walked away.  I purposely had told her a higher but far from overpriced figure than what I sell them to my friend in hopes of shooing her away, but my friend didn't know that, and the friend got mortified, telling me that she is now worried that I am undercharging her because she is a friend.  The next 15 minutes of the lunch was spent undoing the "damage" that was done, explaining to my friend about the cost of the widgets and how I am fine with what was going on between us with the business.

I was embarrassed and upset by the intrusion.  The server/owner is one of those overly "friendly" nosy types who does not understand boundaries.  She is not an evil person, far from it, but someone who has "trespassed against my sensibilities" enough times that I have no desire to eat at that restaurant anymore though the food there is good and the location convenient.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:39:42 PM by aloe »

KimberlyM

« Reply #5884 on: May 27, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
I've never had any problem with Wells Fargo but my DH had nothing BUT problems with Bank of America.  He's now with WF and much happier.

If I could get rid of US Bank for my mortgage, I would.  They are completely inept at keeping the right amount in my escrow account.  There have now been SEVEN times in the past several years that they either say I owe them money because it is too low (and not small amounts, always $500 or more) or they send me money because there is too much in there.  Just keep the excess in there - I know you are going to screw it up and not have enough next time!  But no.  In fact, right now I owe them about $500 but they owe me $1200 (I never saw the check they sent so had to send them an affidavit saying it was lost).  Can they even it out and just send me the net of $700?  Oh no, much too complicated.  Sigh.  I would be happy to pay another $10 or whatever every month if it would just keep this from happening again.

I think there's some requirement (at least in the US) about how much is allowed to be in escrow at any given time. That doesn't excuse them for not having enough, but does explain why they would send you the excess periodically.

I never had a mortgage with them, but I had a great experiences banking with US Bank - always good customer service. I wouldn't have closed my accounts there but they were going to start charging me $7/month to keep them open, so I left.

I was going to leave US when my "free" checking account started to cost me $7, but since my paycheck is drawn on the same bank and they charge a $5 fee to cash a check there, I figure I save $3 a month on fees by keeping the account for the sole purpose of running my paycheck through it.

GreenHall

« Reply #5885 on: May 27, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
Regarding escrow- I heard two stories like that right when I was buying my house.  I asked if they could not do an escrow account with my mortgage, and there was no problem with that.  Since everyone isn't walking around with stories like that, it can't be that common, but I am happy enough just shoving money into my savings account through the year, then  taking it out for taxes and insurance.

stargazer

« Reply #5886 on: May 27, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »

Now if they were just sending me money periodically, I would happily take it. :)  It's the multiple times that I have to pony up a large sum of cash at once.  My taxes/insurance haven't changed so I do not know what their problem is.

Luci

« Reply #5887 on: May 27, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »

I was going to leave US when my "free" checking account started to cost me $7, but since my paycheck is drawn on the same bank and they charge a $5 fee to cash a check there, I figure I save $3 a month on fees by keeping the account for the sole purpose of running my paycheck through it.

I've had a checking account since I was 19. I know before that, my parents had to pay $ .10 per check written, but that  stopped before I opened my account in 1963. I  never paid to cash a check at my own bank, either.

Is this something new?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:54:32 PM by Luci45 »

Otterpop

« Reply #5888 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
I usually give people a few chances to redeem themselves. (Such as 3 strikes and you're out.)  I realize people make mistakes and faux pas, I am guilty of that too, so I don't usually write off something at 1 strike.  But, this waitress/owner already had used up a few strikes before the "plate tug-of-war incident."

I was eating lunch there with a friend several months before.  The friend and I also have a business relationship and we were deep in conversation talking about the "widgets" I sell her.  I had a few samples of the widgets.  Though I am a business person, I am not an aggressive marketer and am quite discreet about trying to sell to people.

The waitress/owner comes over and interrupts us in an unwanted, nosy way and asked me how much my widgets cost.  I told her a price, and she got a weird look on her face and said, "That's too expensive," and walked away.  I purposely had told her a higher but far from overpriced figure than what I sell them to my friend in hopes of shooing her away, but my friend didn't know that, and the friend got mortified, telling me that she is now worried that I am undercharging her because she is a friend.  The next 15 minutes of the lunch was spent undoing the "damage" that was done, explaining to my friend about the cost of the widgets and how I am fine with what was going on between us with the business.

I was embarrassed and upset by the intrusion.  The server/owner is one of those overly "friendly" nosy types who does not understand boundaries.  She is not an evil person, far from it, but someone who has "trespassed against my sensibilities" enough times that I have no desire to eat at that restaurant anymore though the food there is good and the location convenient.

This is genuine curiosity but, why not just tell her the right price?  It might have drummed up some business from her or someone she might talk to.  If you just wanted to shoo her away from your lunch, hand her your card and tell her to call you at the office.  If you didn't like her personally or didn't want her business, then I can see giving her an inflated figure.

I run a property management business and always give people (even curious strangers ) a straight quote, because I never know where my next reference or contract will come from.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:48:51 PM by Otterpop »

aloe

« Reply #5889 on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Normally I would have done that, but I had no interest in selling a widget to her as I had already seen her as a difficult person.  The widgets are not my primary business, it is more of a fun hobby.
Interesting that you are a property manager.  I have several property managers as I own rentals in different places and all the management companies are wonderful.  I am an easygoing person, so if I don't want to associate with a person, it's for a good reason.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5890 on: May 28, 2014, 01:21:44 AM »

I've had a checking account since I was 19. I know before that, my parents had to pay $ .10 per check written, but that  stopped before I opened my account in 1963. I  never paid to cash a check at my own bank, either.

Is this something new?

There are some types of checking accounts that charge for each transaction.  The goal is to get those account holders to use the bank and tellers as infrequently as possible.

kckgirl

« Reply #5891 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:01 AM »

Is this something new?

I believe KimberlyM means that the bank charges non-customers $5 to cash checks drawn on that bank. If she leaves them because of the $7 fee but wants to cash her paycheck there, she'll be charged $10 a month to cash her two paychecks. She saves money by staying with the bank and paying the fee.
Maryland

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #5892 on: May 28, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
Kind of like the, "But its not work/crafting thread"- on widget sales-
sometimes you have to take into account the cost of dealing with a person.

Not worth the business!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Otterpop

« Reply #5893 on: May 28, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »
Kind of like the, "But its not work/crafting thread"- on widget sales-
sometimes you have to take into account the cost of dealing with a person.

Not worth the business!

Got it. 

@Aloe:   Now that I think about it, there are a few people I would price according their personality and it would be quite a bit more.  But yes, I do have to have an easy going demeanor and a thick skin to keep everyone happy (and paying).  ;)

KimberlyM

« Reply #5894 on: May 28, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »

Is this something new?

I believe KimberlyM means that the bank charges non-customers $5 to cash checks drawn on that bank. If she leaves them because of the $7 fee but wants to cash her paycheck there, she'll be charged $10 a month to cash her two paychecks. She saves money by staying with the bank and paying the fee.

Yup, exactly.